Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1322

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Haunting of Bly Manor was pretty good. Didn't like it as much as Hill House and it kind of fell apart in the last episode but it was a good time.
    I felt like Hill House didn't fully stick the landing in the last episode. I enjoyed it, and it answered pretty much everything, but they were setting up a MAJOR confrontation once everyone gets to the house, and instead it was kinda flat for me. The way they showed things was okay, but they CHOSE to set up/tease a much more high octane finale than we got, and I felt let down by that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished the Bent neck lady episode and it freaked me out a bit (even though I figured out the twist earlier in the episode) . certainly have been doing double looks in my house in the shadows of the night and early morning.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I felt like Hill House didn't fully stick the landing in the last episode. I enjoyed it, and it answered pretty much everything, but they were setting up a MAJOR confrontation once everyone gets to the house, and instead it was kinda flat for me. The way they showed things was okay, but they CHOSE to set up/tease a much more high octane finale than we got, and I felt let down by that.
    i mean...i feel like the show is more about the emotional dynamics of the family than it is about the actual hauntings, so in that respect, it really stuck the landing (for me). i was a sobbing mess during that entire final episode. and that's all i'll say because i know there are folks in here watching it for the first time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i mean...i feel like the show is more about the emotional dynamics of the family than it is about the actual hauntings, so in that respect, it really stuck the landing (for me). i was a sobbing mess during that entire final episode. and that's all i'll say because i know there are folks in here watching it for the first time!
    Yup, I'm along those lines too. I'm not really a horror fan, but Hill House just broke my heart and I still get emotional when I think about some of the scenes and the general feeling throughout the season.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Bly Manor is great until like halfway through it starts getting fucky with time for absolutely no reason and it ruins the narrative. It comes at the expense of being scary too.

Between that and the endless monologuing it completely shits the bed
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 10-13-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Bly Manor is great until like halfway through it starts getting fucky with time for absolutely no reason and it ruins the narrative. It comes at the expense of being scary too.
    I can get behind that. We watched the first 5 episodes on Saturday and loved it, finished it on Sunday and it felt like a pretty different show. The time thing definitely comes out of nowhere.

I did enjoy it and there were some great performances, but it just ended up falling a bit flat. Either way, I'll look forward to new seasons as long as they keep making them.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The Haunting of Bly Manor has this fucking awful Return of the King style never ending ending. We were like "I guess this episode is like twice as long as the others" No. Its actually the shortest episode.

Also "why are you ruining their wedding?" Is the persistent question from the very beginning of the thing

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Between that and the endless monologuing it completely shits the bed
    Sadly, the time fuckery going on in episode 5 ended up being the most interesting thing to me. Then they explain all of it away and made it a huge bore. I'd probably still give the best episode to 5 for the series though.

The Haunting of Bly Manor has this fucking awful Return of the King style never ending ending. We were like "I guess this episode is like twice as long as the others" No. Its actually the shortest episode.

Also "why are you ruining their wedding?" Is the persistent question from the very beginning of the thing

I agree, the last episode was just awful. If I may be allowed to vent for a minute...SPOILERS ahead..

This series shit the bed in just about every way. The writing felt lazy and disjointed to me. I mean the main story was pretty much done halfway through the finale and they spent the rest of it cleaning up the mess they made with the series. Hey audience, Dani is going to be possessed by the lady in the lake now, but she's going to wait years and years before she does anything about it because first we need to show a flash forward montage so we can give this relationship with Dani and the gardener importance and we haven't done any of that yet even though we knew the gardener being the storyteller was the endgame. So pause the logic button while we fix our mess. Oh, and the kids? Yeah, well we really want to include this nice shot of the Uncle/Father and daughter dance and in order for any of it to make sense we are going to put in a throwaway line about "kids don't remember any of this because well kids are young and don't remember anything from their childhoods even though they were being terrorized by fucking ghosts." Gimme a break.

But all that was just the lazy writing. The REAL crime here is the bait and switch marketing. Hey horror fans, check out the only horror anything dropping this October because of covid. This shit should have been aired on hallmark channel or something. Now, I've nothing against romance, but that's not what I signed up for. And to make matters worse, instead of respecting the audience and allowing them to notice the themes, they actually have the characters themselves spouting off bullshit lines like "its not a ghost story, its a romance." No shit. Can I have my 9 hours back please?

This series was all tell and no show. The penultimate episode, which finally got away from the washed out/magazine photo shoot looking images and went to black and white, completely wasted an opportunity by having an episode long voice over monologue that explained WAY too much. Oh the lady in the lake isn't even special? She's just a real bitch. And she stayed a ghost because will power? Ok. Nothing mysterious left by the end, nothing left for the viewer to dwell on after the show is done. Ok, end rant.

Hill House may have had a weak finale but at least it was compelling. This fails as both horror and romance in my book. Only my opinion of course. To those that found a way to enjoy it, good for you.

And, I should mention that the acting was top notch the whole way through and the only thing holding it together at all.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 10-16-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i mean...i feel like the show is more about the emotional dynamics of the family than it is about the actual hauntings, so in that respect, it really stuck the landing (for me).
    I agree that was the focus, and that's why i mostly was satisfied by the ending b/c it wrapped all that up clearly. That being said, the show DID tease more than once prior to the finale that once the family got the house, shit was gonna pop off...

8:17 above. The house pulsing red once Luke arrives. How the house pulsed when Nelly got there too...baiting her. Considering the scares had been relatively subdued but rising so far, by the time we get to the house fucking with Luke when he shows up by pulsing red, I took that as meaning we would see some more intense haunting action in the finale once everyone was there. That was my interpretation at least, and I was looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mike Flanagan directed all 10 episodes of Hill House and only directed 1 episode of Bly Manor, and I think it shows. This season just wasn't as good as the first. It wasn't scary or even creepy.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Hill House may have had a weak finale but at least it was compelling. This fails as both horror and romance in my book. Only my opinion of course. To those that found a way to enjoy it, good for you.
    While watching Bly Manor, I kept thinking of the film The Endless. That was a nice little film, and you get Spoiler: cosmic horror, Lovecraft, time loops, and Hopi thrown in to the lore.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    While watching Bly Manor, I kept thinking of the film The Endless. That was a nice little film, and you get Spoiler: cosmic horror, Lovecraft, time loops, and Hopi thrown in to the lore.

Hey, I actually watched that film this year! I really enjoyed it. Even though the low budget showed itself a bit I really didn't care because the ideas were good and imo that is the most important aspect of good horror. I also watched the prequel/tie in made by those same directors Resolution: Cabin of Death. I would love to see them get a big budget film one of these days.

But that makes me wonder, what exactly linked the Endless with Bly for you? Was it memory/time loop aspects? I'm always a big fan of those themes. I just thought Bly explained them way too much, to the point they became safe and unimportant. But then again I'm always biased toward the horror genre and great horror needs to leave you thinking. It can give you some pieces to the puzzle but never all of them, imo.

Speaking of Lovecraftian horror, have you by chance seen Color Out Of Space? I thought it was pretty bonkers and that it came as close as anything I've seen to what its like to actually read a Lovecraft story.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Hey, I actually watched that film this year! I really enjoyed it. Even though the low budget showed itself a bit I really didn't care because the ideas were good and imo that is the most important aspect of good horror. I also watched the prequel/tie in made by those same directors Resolution: Cabin of Death. I would love to see them get a big budget film one of these days.

But that makes me wonder, what exactly linked the Endless with Bly for you? Was it memory/time loop aspects? I'm always a big fan of those themes. I just thought Bly explained them way too much, to the point they became safe and unimportant. But then again I'm always biased toward the horror genre and great horror needs to leave you thinking. It can give you some pieces to the puzzle but never all of them, imo.

Speaking of Lovecraftian horror, have you by chance seen Color Out Of Space? I thought it was pretty bonkers and that it came as close as anything I've seen to what its like to actually read a Lovecraft story.
    Mainly that and how differently the two handled some of the same concepts. As a matter of fact, you summed up some of my feelings very well. There was still intrigue by the end of The Endless, Bly Manor felt like being repeatedly hit over the head with the same thing. I understand that's the point, to feel trapped in the characters' hopelessness with them; it was perhaps 2 episodes overlong.

For better or worse, I think I've seen just about every Lovecraftian horror movie there is. Color Out of Space was good, have you seen Europa Report? One of the better found-footage movies, and its "Lovecraft" from a different perspective (without spoiling anything).

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Mainly that and how differently the two handled some of the same concepts. As a matter of fact, you summed up some of my feelings very well. There was still intrigue by the end of The Endless, Bly Manor felt like being repeatedly hit over the head with the same thing. I understand that's the point, to feel trapped in the characters' hopelessness with them; it was perhaps 2 episodes overlong.

For better or worse, I think I've seen just about every Lovecraftian horror movie there is. Color Out of Space was good, have you seen Europa Report? One of the better found-footage movies, and its "Lovecraft" from a different perspective (without spoiling anything).

I actually haven't seen many Lovecraft horror films but I have noticed an increase in his influence on the genre as a whole. I think the enormity of Lovecraft's world pretty much guarantees a sense of hopelessness. The sense that humanity could be crushed at any time is always right under the surface in the work of his I've read, which is great for horror films. Black Mountain Side is another film I've seen recently that had his influence (as well as Carpenter's The Thing) all over it.

I have not seen Europa Report. If I'm being honest, when I see "found footage" in a description I run the other way. I am admittedly snobbish when it comes to film and I think that that style gives studios an excuse to drain the budget and lower audience expectations over the long haul at the expense of cinematography and the language of cinema. I don't begrudge anyone for liking it though, its just not for me personally. I gave Blair Witch a pass because it felt novel at the time but everything after I just haven't enjoyed. Needless to say the sudden appearance of directors like Robert Eggers (The Lighthouse is a bit Lovecraftian), Ari Aster, Osgood Perkins, Jennifer Kent, and Jordan Peele, etc. has been refreshing to see for me.

But I did read a quick description of Europa Report and I have to admit taking found footage to Jupiter does make me wonder how they pull that off. So maybe I'll get around to checking it out one of these days and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    We've been watching Schitt's Creek off and on for awhile and we just finished the 5th season. I gotta say, the episode where Patrick's parents are introduced and then the Hike episode were both amazing. Actual tears at both of them for various reasons.

I've been listening to this album almost on repeat for the past two weeks and this song has brought me to tears a handful of times and it was very much on my mind while watching the parent episode.

And surely all my family and my friends,
    My god and my ends
    They cannot all be wrong
    So I play along
    Now online they discuss
    Whether I exist
    And in the court they decide
    Who I can kiss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually haven't seen many Lovecraft horror films but I have noticed an increase in his influence on the genre as a whole. I think the enormity of Lovecraft's world pretty much guarantees a sense of hopelessness. The sense that humanity could be crushed at any time is always right under the surface in the work of his I've read, which is great for horror films. Black Mountain Side is another film I've seen recently that had his influence (as well as Carpenter's The Thing) all over it.
    For some reason I do not like films based on the works of Lovecraft. Books are more interesting, they are more alive, although there are no special effects from films in the text. Maybe I just don't have any problems with imagination and therefore I can imagine what is described in the book without video sequence? I don’t know, but I love reading since childhood. At one time (3-4 years) I watched only films, but now I prefer to quietly sit in silence with a book.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    For some reason I do not like films based on the works of Lovecraft. Books are more interesting, they are more alive, although there are no special effects from films in the text. Maybe I just don't have any problems with imagination and therefore I can imagine what is described in the book without video sequence? I don’t know, but I love reading since childhood. At one time (3-4 years) I watched only films, but now I prefer to quietly sit in silence with a book.
    I also enjoy reading the stories. But I would not agree books are more alive than films. Imo, they are completely different art forms that both accomplish things that the other cannot. There's room for both. There are great films that are better than most books and there are great books that are better than most films. No need to choose when you can have both.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Mindhunter may not return. Fincher said it's time consuming and he doesn't think he can do a third season at a cheaper price tag. Apparently they're not getting the viewing numbers to justify more seasons.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...-david-fincher

EVERYONE GO WATCH MINDHUNTER!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished off the latest batch of Unsolved Mysteries episodes... still good.

I admit, taxi (and hitchhiking) ghosts are some of my favourite stories...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Finished off the latest batch of Unsolved Mysteries episodes... still good.

I admit, taxi (and hitchhiking) ghosts are some of my favourite stories...
    I need to watch this reboot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Halfway through the Queen's Gambit mini-series. I think it's a damn good Netflix original: Great cast, great story, great execution.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Halfway through the Queen's Gambit mini-series. I think it's a damn good Netflix original: Great cast, great story, great execution.
    Queen's Gambit is EXCELLENT! watched it over 4 days. I imagine the (minor)Spoiler: analytical/obsessive/addict/pseudo-socially inept aspects of her character may resonate well with this fanbase.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I just started Schitt's Creek for the first time - reminds me of Arrested Development, same type of humor and family choaticness, lol.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I just started Schitt's Creek for the first time - reminds me of Arrested Development, same type of humor and family choaticness, lol.
    the big difference for me is that everyone on arrested is an asshole and they're completely oblivious to that (which works great for the original three seasons but wow i could not get into the netflix seasons)

on schitt's creek, they're out of touch with reality but they're by no means bad people, and they do their best to be good people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about The Last Kingdom? I like historical films and TV series, and books too. There is a certain atmosphere in them, a certain charm, despite the cruelty of those times. Still, before there was more order and everything was clearer, it seems to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    What about The Last Kingdom? I like historical films and TV series, and books too. There is a certain atmosphere in them, a certain charm, despite the cruelty of those times. Still, before there was more order and everything was clearer, it seems to me.
    "things were better when there was more oppression"

um...ok, hon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "things were better when there was more oppression"

um...ok, hon...
    Yeah, but now there is no oppression. Now we are being oppressed under the guise of democracy, the good of the people, etc. How many people live in poverty under heavy taxes and threats of fines in any incomprehensible situation. Naturally, earlier times were somewhat more severe, there was no adequate medicine, but if people lived on the lands of an adequate landowner, they were not offended. They could grow whatever they wanted, keep any animals. And in some countries, the territory near a country house must be a lawn and you do not have the right to grow anything on this territory (even if you have the funds to buy vegetables, and you just want to grow something for your pleasure). Yes, we are protected by laws, but in those days, and in our time there are those who violate these laws.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yeah, but now there is no oppression. Now we are being oppressed under the guise of democracy, the good of the people, etc. How many people live in poverty under heavy taxes and threats of fines in any incomprehensible situation. Naturally, earlier times were somewhat more severe, there was no adequate medicine, but if people lived on the lands of an adequate landowner, they were not offended. They could grow whatever they wanted, keep any animals. And in some countries, the territory near a country house must be a lawn and you do not have the right to grow anything on this territory (even if you have the funds to buy vegetables, and you just want to grow something for your pleasure). Yes, we are protected by laws, but in those days, and in our time there are those who violate these laws.
    there's still plenty of oppression going on in all different ways. i really don't understand your argument.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    watched the first episode of S4 of The Crown and it was alright. Slower paced than usual at times and was oddly tensely paced for the explosion. I mean...spoiler for history I guess? But also they tried to make it seem tense for some reason. Also I am by no means a historian of England in the 70s/80s but they almost seem to make her a sympathetic character in this episode but all I know about it is that she seems to be almost universally reviled.

Oh and the UK government had to put out an announcement that the show is a work of fiction, so that was funny.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    watched the first episode of S4 of The Crown and it was alright. Slower paced than usual at times and was oddly tensely paced for the explosion. I mean...spoiler for history I guess? But also they tried to make it seem tense for some reason. Also I am by no means a historian of England in the 70s/80s but they almost seem to make her a sympathetic character in this episode but all I know about it is that she seems to be almost universally reviled.

Oh and the UK government had to put out an announcement that the show is a work of fiction, so that was funny.
    OMG, they are BRUTAL to Prince Charles and Camilla this season, making Diana into far more of a martyr than she really deserves. Consequently, Prince Charles and Camilla are being attacked on their Instagram page, holy shit.

The stuff about Margaret Thatcher this season, OMG. I was in high school when she was around, so I remember some of it but you don't really pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to shit across the pond like that when you're in high school. Ugh.

I more fully understand that English Beat song, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I started watching "The Queen's Gambit" last night and got sucked into it like a fucking VORTEX, holy shit, this is great stuff. I binge-watched about 4 episodes until I realized it was 3 am and I had to get to bed.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-02-2020 at 05:42 PM.