Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Batman

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    If done right: Mad-Hatter
    Also Zasz, Ventriloquist, Anarchy, Hugo Strange, The Court of Owls...

I'm sick and tired of the Joker, TBH
    Zsasz would be really good if they go with a psychological crime thriller styling à la Se7en.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-15-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'd personally love a psychological crime thriller taking place in Arkham Asylum. Then again, I recently played that game and was so hooked on it's story, thinking: "elements of this game would make a great movie"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    I'd personally love a psychological crime thriller taking place in Arkham Asylum. Then again, I recently played that game and was so hooked on it's story, thinking: "elements of this game would make a great movie"
    Did you ever play Arkham Knight? It took everything that was great about the first two, but got dark and gritty. It definitely deserved that M rating, and I mean that as a compliment. Definitely my favorite of the series.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I only played about 20 mins of Knight. I loved it so much that I stopped playing it and bought "Return to Arkham" so I can play the titles in order.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That's definitely the way to go!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Zsasz would be really good if they go with a psychological crime thriller styling à la Se7en.
    Yeah, i don't get why they only used him once in the Nolan-trilogy and he was barely a footnote.

You can make a movie with him in a more active role, maybe not as the main villain, but as a top-threat for Batman to stop during the "bigger" storyline.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Also Zasz
    He was perfect in Gotham though

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I don't know about perfect. He was fun, though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Never saw Gotham, gotta check it

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I don't know about perfect. He was fun, though.
    Basically that's what I meant lol. Not familiar with his comic book or any other versions.
    (If he was in Nolan's films then I forgot all about it)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Basically that's what I meant lol. Not familiar with his comic book or any other versions.
    (If he was in Nolan's films then I forgot all about it)
    Haha. Yeah, in the comics, he's pretty psychotic. Whenever he kills a victim, he cuts a tally mark on his body. I can't recall any onscreen performances that have incorporated that yet.

You definitely have to go into that show with an open mind because they take a lot of their own liberties with characters, their origins, and overall personalities. I personally enjoyed it, but there are many people that couldn't get past that it wasn't always depicting characters accurately.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-18-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    You definitely have to go into that show with an open mind because they take a lot of their own liberties with characters, their origins, and overall personalities. I personally enjoyed it, but there are many people that couldn't get past that it wasn't always depicting characters accurately.
    Going to... I wasn't much interested when i first saw it, but i know it's a different "universe"

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you def. do not. It's terrible. I gave it two seasons and had to move on.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I really just want some continuity in the DC universe and for us to stop getting Joker-centric storylines, or at least try to connect these characters in some way. It becomes tiring when I have to try and explain to someone what is even going on with it at this point.

How much do you guys think fans would look down on the DC uni if they followed the same format that Marvel did? Really excited about The Batman, but I hope it isn't a one and done movie and then we get yet ANOTHER Batman movie two years down the road with a different actor and different universe all together.

... And yes, Gotham sucks. I couldn't even get past the first 5 episodes and that show takes itself wayyy too seriously.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Agreeing with @bobbie solo and @Self.Destructive.Pattern - Gotham sucks and that had nothing to do with any liberties they took with the characters. It just felt like a typical network drama. Couldn't get through the whole first season.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    you def. do not. It's terrible. I gave it two seasons and had to move on.
    The first two seasons are a little rocky. It definitely gets better, subjectively, after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    How much do you guys think fans would look down on the DC uni if they followed the same format that Marvel did?
    Was that not what they were trying to do beginning with Batman v Superman? Everything was connecting and then Justice League got released and fucked that all up.

... And yes, Gotham sucks. I couldn't even get past the first 5 episodes and that show takes itself wayyy too seriously.
    That's a bit of an unfair assessment. They realized their formula wasn't working and changed it up entirely by the third season. Some shows just have a rocky start. It's unfortunate that people decide to just write it off without giving it another chance later on. It lasted 5 seasons and you only saw 5 episodes.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Was that not what they were trying to do beginning with Batman v Superman? Everything was connecting and then Justice League got released and fucked that all up.
    Huh? We didn't get any solo movies with Ben Affleck's Batman, no Flash, no Cyborg... only Superman. They were all crammed into one movie and then they tried to play catch up after that. Oh, we got Wonder Woman.. big deal. I shouldn't have to explain what Marvel did, but we got Hulk, Iron Man 1&2, Captain America 1&2, Thor and the other characters we got in between were not front and center... OH! And we got Green Lantern that had no affiliation of course... The DCEU was over before it even started, that is why I asked how it would feel if DC just decided to do that format instead of the trash we got with Batman v Superman and Justice League. Shit, even Aquaman came out AFTER Justice League...

Edit: Oh! And we got a terrible Suicide Squad movie
    Come on now...

That's a bit of an unfair assessment. They realized their formula wasn't working and changed it up entirely by the third season. Some shows just have a rocky start. It's unfortunate that people decide to just write it off without giving it another chance later on. It lasted 5 seasons and you only saw 5 episodes.
    I really didn't want to go into too much depth about such a terrible show, but I have seen later episodes due to my little cousin liking it and I can say that ok, they added some other characters that may or may not have made it more watchable, but I cannot stray away from bad acting and terrible dialogue. Sorry but this show does nothing for me.

More of an unfair statement from you when literally two posts above, someone only watched 2 seasons and gave up, so I think my assessment is just fine.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-22-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern
    Huh? We didn't get any solo movies with Ben Affleck's Batman, no Flash, no Cyborg... only Superman. They were all crammed into one movie and then they tried to play catch up after that. Oh, we got Wonder Woman.. big deal. I shouldn't have to explain what Marvel did, but we got Hulk, Iron Man 1&2, Captain America 1&2, Thor and the other characters we got in between were not front and center... OH! And we got Green Lantern that had no affiliation of course... The DCEU was over before it even started, that is why I asked how it would feel if DC just decided to do that format instead of the trash we got with Batman v Superman and Justice League. Shit, even Aquaman came out AFTER Justice League...

Edit: Oh! And we got a terrible Suicide Squad movie
    Come on now...
    My bad. I was thinking in terms of interconnectivity, not solo films that eventually led into a group film. Yes, a formula like that would definitely do some good.

I really didn't want to go into too much depth about such a terrible show, but I have seen later episodes due to my little cousin liking it and I can say that ok, they added some other characters that may or may not have made it more watchable, but I cannot stray away from bad acting and terrible dialogue. Sorry but this show does nothing for me.

Fair enough. Yes, the acting could be a little stiff and the lines corny, but I think they were going for a bit of a comic book vibe which is rife with terrible lines.
    I was more interested in the story overall, and just wanted to see where it all wound up. Is it a great show? It could have been better. Was it entertaining? I'd say so. I'm just not the kind of person that likes to pick everything apart when I'm watching. I've seen a lot of things with terrible writing and acting, but this was nowhere near as bad as those. This is definitely watchable if you have the patience.

More of an unfair statement from you when literally two posts above, someone only watched 2 seasons and gave up, so I think my assessment is just fine.

Unfair how? I quoted that post and mentioned that the first two seasons are rocky and that it got better. You gave up before the first season ended, and only saw a little of the later seasons. Your opinion is based on limited viewership. It's like not recommending an album because you only heard the singles and hated them. Cool, what about the rest of it? I watched the entire show, and I'm recommending people give it a chance.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Fair enough. Yes, the acting could be a little stiff and the lines corny, but I think they were going for a bit of a comic book vibe which is rife with terrible lines. I was more interested in the story overall, and just wanted to see where it all wound up. Is it a great show? It could have been better. Was it entertaining? I'd say so. I'm just not the kind of person that likes to pick everything apart when I'm watching. I've seen a lot of things with terrible writing and acting, but this was nowhere near as bad as those. This is definitely watchable if you have the patience.

Didn't mean to sound off on you, you caught me at a stressful time of the day lol. I hear you. I have a problem with being nitpicky when it comes to stories and characters I love sometimes, but as much as I have given the show a chance, I was waiting for something to really blow me away and it pretty much just never got to that level for me. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I have seen much, MUCH worse lol. I guess I wish I could have left my expectations at the door for I was hoping for a bit of a more realistic approach (If we could even use that word in these movies and shows) like we got with Nolan's universe. Not that quality of course, but I guess a little more less comic booky. I did like the small noir feel it had, I'll give it that.

Unfair how? I quoted that post and mentioned that the first two seasons are rocky and that it got better. You gave up before the first season ended, and only saw a little of the later seasons. Your opinion is based on limited viewership. It's like not recommending an album because you only heard the singles and hated them. Cool, what about the rest of it? I watched the entire show, and I'm recommending people give it a chance.

Ugh, I respond on my phone a lot when I am on echo, and it doesn't always pop up everything on the screen, I am just seeing that quote, my bad. I do think that a show should be able to draw the viewer in after at least 3 episodes or so, not bore them to death and hope they stick around. Of course this is subjective, but this what Gotham ultimately left me with. When do things really pick up if I were to watch some newer episodes? I said above my little cousin likes it a lot and I have watched some newer, so maybe I can stop being a grump and enjoy some more with him since he begs me all the time lol. I'd tell you what season it was, but it was about a year ago and I don't remember what was going on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Didn't mean to sound off on you, you caught me at a stressful time of the day lol. I hear you. I have a problem with being nitpicky when it comes to stories and characters I love sometimes, but as much as I have given the show a chance, I was waiting for something to really blow me away and it pretty much just never got to that level for me. Oh, and don't get me wrong, I have seen much, MUCH worse lol. I guess I wish I could have left my expectations at the door for I was hoping for a bit of a more realistic approach (If we could even use that word in these movies and shows) like we got with Nolan's universe. Not that quality of course, but I guess a little more less comic booky. I did like the small noir feel it had, I'll give it that.

It's all good. We all get that way sometimes.

Ugh, I respond on my phone a lot when I am on echo, and it doesn't always pop up everything on the screen, I am just seeing that quote, my bad. I do think that a show should be able to draw the viewer in after at least 3 episodes or so, not bore them to death and hope they stick around. Of course this is subjective, but this what Gotham ultimately left me with. When do things really pick up if I were to watch some newer episodes? I said above my little cousin likes it a lot and I have watched some newer, so maybe I can stop being a grump and enjoy some more with him since he begs me all the time lol. I'd tell you what season it was, but it was about a year ago and I don't remember what was going on.
    Maybe trying watching all the episodes featuring or making reference to Jerome. That could be a good watch if it doesn't get weird with continuity from missing episodes:

Season 1

• "The Blind Fortune Teller"

Season 2

• "Rise of the Villains: Damned If You Do..."
    • "Rise of the Villains: Knock, Knock"
    • "Rise of the Villains: The Last Laugh"
    • "Rise of the Villains: Strike Force"
    • "Rise of the Villains: Scarification"
    • "Rise of the Villains: Tonight’s the Night"
    • "Wrath of the Villains: This Ball of Mud and Meanness"

Season 3

• "Mad City: Ghosts"
    • "Mad City: Smile Like You Mean It"
    • "Mad City: The Gentle Art of Making Enemies"
    • "Heroes Rise: How the Riddler Got His Name"
    • "Heroes Rise: All Will Be Judged"

Season 4

• "A Dark Knight: Things That Go Boom"
    • "A Dark Knight: Queen Takes Knight"
    • "A Dark Knight: A Beautiful Darkness"
    • "A Dark Knight: One of My Three Soups"
    • "A Dark Knight: Mandatory Brunch Meeting"
    • "A Dark Knight: That's Entertainment"
    • "A Dark Knight: That Old Corpse"
    • "A Dark Knight: One Bad Day"
    • "A Dark Knight: No Man's Land"

Season 5

• "Year Zero"
    • "Penguin, Our Hero"
    • "Ruin"
    • "Pena Dura"
    • "13 Stitches"
    • "Ace Chemicals"
    • "Nothing's Shocking"
    • "The Trial of Jim Gordon"
    • "They Did What?"
    • "The Beginning..."
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-23-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Thanks for the rundown.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^^^ Thanks for the rundown.
    No problem! I hope that makes it a little more watchable for you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It'll be quite the feat to make that dogpile of a show watchable in any way.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I mean sure, they go into the awesome intricacies of... *checks notes*... Balloon Man.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Back on topic, word is that when The Batman resumes filming, they're hoping to shoot a lot of scenes in Chicago. I do wish they'd address the timeline more or get an update from Reeves...October 2021 is approaching pretty quickly.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    No problem! I hope that makes it a little more watchable for you.
    I just downloaded everything so I'll give you an update . Even if I don't like it, at least my little cousin will be happy.

Yea, I'm hoping all these pauses for films being made doesn't mess with the overall final product. I really want them to implement all of the villains in a smart way. Paul Dano is still probably my favorite casting out of anyone so far; dude is severely underrated.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 06-24-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Found this documentary about the animated series. Thought I'd share:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

LET'S GOOOOOOO

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    let's gooooooooooooooooooo