Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Drab Majesty

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Drab Majesty

This thread is overdue. Drab Majesty is quickly becoming one of my favorite bands, with The Demonstration being one of my favorite album in years. I can't believe I actually saw them live a few years ago opening for The Black Queen but didn't think to seek out their stuff afterwards. It wasn't until someone posted 39 By Design on reddit a couple weeks ago that I realized what I had been missing out on. The whole makeup/cloaks/candles thing is a bit gimmicky (and is proably the reason I didn't pay super close attention to them live), but the music is just so good that I couldn't care less about what their shtick is.

I've said it before, but Drab Majesty is currently making the best Cure songs in 20 years. I know there are plenty of Cure fans on here, as well as Black Queen fans and Cold Cave fans, and Drab Majesty is basically the best parts of all of those bands, so check them out if you haven't already.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Love DM and am juiced to finally be able to see it all live this summer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Love DM and am juiced to finally be able to see it all live this summer.
    Awesome. I wish I was familiar with them back when I saw them, I would have enjoyed it much more, but at the time I just wanted them to go away so the Black Queen could come out. So naive. Although I don't think they played anything off The Demonstration at that show since it wasn't out yet. While I think Careless is a good album, The Demonstration is just something else entirely.
    Really wish I could have seen them open for Cold Cave last year.
    Last edited by imail724; 04-20-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Demonstration is good and my friend got me into them. As with several people on here, seeing them with Deafheaven will be awesome.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Awesome. I wish I was familiar with them back when I saw them, I would have enjoyed it much more, but at the time I just wanted them to go away so the Black Queen could come out. So naive. Although I don't think they played anything off The Demonstration at that show since it wasn't out yet. While I think Careless is a good album, The Demonstration is just something else entirely.
    Really wish I could have seen them open for Cold Cave last year.
    i think part of why The Demonstration is so good is that Josh Eustis produced it. everything he touches is fucking gold.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i think part of why The Demonstration is so good is that Josh Eustis produced it. everything he touches is fucking gold.
    Yeah when I found that out, it made total sense. Hopefully he continues to produce for them/him, and if not hopefully Deb learned enough from him to follow his lead or pick another solid producer.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I feel like im in a time capsule back to 1982 when i listen to his music, its like a John Peel 1982 radio show, various influences. Joy Division, The Cure, Cocteau Twins, China Crisis, Simple Minds, the Chameleons.

I like the fact that he is unashamedly going for a 1982 sound , its sounds good!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The foyer is great as well.

The whole project is very deadsy to me. 80s dark wave sound, high society, esoteric cult like vibes, choice of keyboards and of course the baritone vocals.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, since I'm pumped about the show in 3 months I finally bought a physical copy of The Demonstration on vinyl. I got the blue and white splatter repress.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    So, since I'm pumped about the show in 3 months I finally bought a physical copy of The Demonstration on vinyl. I got the blue and white splatter repress.
    Nice. I got the blue translucent one from Newbury Comics. Quickly becoming one of my most played records.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    A couple more of my favorites:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    They're really good. Pumped to see them with Deafheaven and Uniform this summer.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Josh Eustis production confirmed!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Uuunnnnnnngghhhhh

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Uuunnnnnnngghhhhh
    HNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHHHhuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    We all know this already, but the last like...two minutes of 'Behind The Wall' fucking slaps.

That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you imail724 for creating this thread! I first heard of Drab Majesty last December and it's incredible how quickly they have become one of my favorite bands (so similar to the speed in which NIN became a favorite after listening to Broken for the first time). I could listen to Unknown to the I on loop for days and be perfectly content. I have bought all of their vinyl in a matter of months and am thrilled to see them with Deafheaven this summer. I'm way more excited to see DM than Deafheaven, if i'm being totally honest.

I know some find their stage show and get up to be a bit much, but I am a fan. I remember watching an interview of Deb saying that modern bands are too focused on showing their true authentic self or being a bleeding heart on stage, and that DM chooses not to do this and instead be theatrical and become something else entirely other than themselves on stage. I'm into it.

Looking forward to keeping up with this thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love them, glad to see a thread on here for them. Stumbled into them live at Berserktown at the Teragram last year.

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    They're really good. Pumped to see them with Deafheaven and Uniform this summer.
    Uniform is another sick new-ish band too. Are you familiar with Pharmakon?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    Yes! I own Beastial Burden on gorgeous red vinyl! I've been really wanting to see her live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Yes! I own Beastial Burden on gorgeous red vinyl! I've been really wanting to see her live.
    That's sick! She's great, the venues she picks are very unique.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    they have a new collaborative album coming out with my favs, The Body! i (sadly) missed out on the super limited edition

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    they have a new collaborative album coming out with my favs, The Body! i (sadly) missed out on the super limited edition
    I LOVE the Body!! They were incredibly nice guys when I saw them two years ago and they even saved the clear variant of their 2016 record for me when I Facebook messaged them.

Their new record is great too.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 05-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did not know about this! Was introduced to The Body last year when they opened for Alcest. Sacred Bones has been on point with talent.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Did not know about this! Was introduced to The Body last year when they opened for Alcest. Sacred Bones has been on point with talent.
    started a new thread so we can gush about them

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DM stars in the new She Past Away video for 'SOLUK'.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

<3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone is in NYC and has no concrete plans for Halloween, Drab Majesty will be playing at Villain. Seems like the perfect day to see them!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bound-l...ts-49911770449

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Woot!

A post shared by on

Last edited by deadwinterskies; 12-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Finally. Spring seems so far away though.