Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Soul (2020)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Our new Lessons from the Screenplay video
    This video is brilliant. I took classes like this in college. I gotta go watch more of these. Awesome analysis.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    So far the clear version from Target is the only option aside from black https://www.target.com/p/soundtrack-...74#lnk=sametab

You can find it in-store in some areas but YMMV. You can grab it from Discogs for not outrageous prices.

Edit: @allegate beat me to it
    thank you. will buy the black one then = )

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    is the CD version of the soundtrack ever coming out in America? Or should I just order it from the UK

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    is the CD version of the soundtrack ever coming out in America? Or should I just order it from the UK
    Trent don't CD, bruh. It's never coming out in the U.S..

I ordered my copy from the UK the week it was released and it got to me in like a week. Crazy to see it getting all these awards because, for me, it's easily their most boring score by a mile. Mank, Bird Box and Waves all have much more going on as a whole. Soul isn't bad or anything, it's just nowhere near as good to me as every other score they've done..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Trent don't CD, bruh. It's never coming out in the U.S.
    Really, it's much more of a Disney decision whether or not the soundtrack becomes available on CD - your advice to @Helpmeiaminhell still stands though, because if Disney didn't put it out on CD in the US by now, it ain't happening.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Really, it's much more of a Disney decision whether or not the soundtrack becomes available on CD - your advice to @Helpmeiaminhell still stands though, because if Disney didn't put it out on CD in the US by now, it ain't happening.
    I knooow, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek joke. But yea, no issues with the UK CD pressing; you'll probably just wait a little bit longer for it to arrive from overseas, is all..

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Dropped 25 bucks for 1 day express delivery from the UK. It should be here tomorrow....

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Crazy to see it getting all these awards because, for me, it's easily their most boring score by a mile. Mank, Bird Box and Waves all have much more going on as a whole. Soul isn't bad or anything, it's just nowhere near as good to me as every other score they've done..
    1. They're only responsible for half the score, so keep in mind it's the combination of both them and Jon Batiste.

2. I think I mentioned this in the Mank thread, but part of what's important isn't just the music itself but its use in the movie. Waves uses so much other music that you rarely hear the score, Bird Box buries the score way low in the mix, and Mank also mixes the score fairly low with the exception of some of the more music video-y moments. But similar to The Social Network, the music in Soul is doing so much of the emotional storytelling, both in the real world and in the soul world. So many sequences and moments feel like they're being driven by the score, rather than the score just hanging out and doing light work in the background. I love the score as a standalone piece of music, but I agree it's nowhere as impressive as something like Mank; that said, I think Soul is one of the best examples of TR/AR's music playing an active and important role in a movie.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 03-24-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    1. They're only responsible for half the score, so keep in mind it's the combination of both them and Jon Batiste.

2. I think I mentioned this in the Mank thread, but part of what's important isn't just the music itself but its use in the music. Waves uses so much other music that you rarely hear the score, Bird Box buries the score way low in the mix, and Mank also mixes the score fairly low with the exception of some of the more music video-y moments. But similar to The Social Network, the music in Soul is doing so much of the emotional storytelling, both in the real world and in the soul world. So many sequences and moments feel like they're being driven by the score, rather than the score just hanging out and doing light work in the background. I love the score as a standalone piece of music, but I agree it's nowhere as impressive as something like Mank; that said, I think Soul is one of the best examples of TR/AR's music playing an active and important role in a movie.
    Exactly, I bought the UK CD score and, to be honest I don’t even know why anyone would want the vinyl of half the score as it works as a whole so well. If I listened to just the TRAR or Batiste stuff I feel I’d be missing out

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    But similar to The Social Network, the music in Soul is doing so much of the emotional storytelling, both in the real world and in the soul world. So many sequences and moments feel like they're being driven by the score, rather than the score just hanging out and doing light work in the background. I love the score as a standalone piece of music, but I agree it's nowhere as impressive as something like Mank; that said, I think Soul is one of the best examples of TR/AR's music playing an active and important role in a movie.
    THIS. I decided to watch Soul before listening to the score, and I was just blown away with how it carried the soul world. I could hear/ feel all of the little nuances that TR/AR have used over the years. Their fingerprints were all over it, and it was just so enhanced. I'm not sure it would have had the same feel/ tone to it if someone else was in the driver's seat. And maybe I'm biased, I dunno. Credit where it's due with Jon Batiste as well. I'm not a jazz fan, but I found his work to be incredibly receptive. I took a jazz history course in college, and it isn't something I normally go for, but Soul had something for everyone in the human world.

With Soul I felt like I was listening to part of the movie - it was part of the experience/ part of the dialogue. I can't imagine the movie without that component. I didn't get that feeling with Mank.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Acceptance speech for the Variety Artisan awards (I think) for both Soul and Mank

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNWrIrz..._web_copy_link

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Soul wins the BAFTA as expected

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Add an Annie Award to the list for TR+AR+JB.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Did anyone here buy the "Limited Edition of 500" black vinyl SOUL Trent soundtrack sold to Disney credit card holders? Any different than the thousands of SOUL black vinyl available everywhere now, including nin.com?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hoping to wake up tomorrow morning to find TRAR have another Oscar. It will be pretty amazing for Jon Batiste as well to win his first Oscar for first scored film (I’m assuming). Looking forward to some red carpet action too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the only concern is that if you’re nominated twice in a single category it can dilute your vote, but I do have a feeling that Soul has made such a wide impact that it will win.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Second Oscar, well deserved! Now I gotta find a link to the acceptance speech.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    From Oscars:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Pretty cool that Trent and Atticus hung back and let Jon have his moment. Total class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Trent don't CD, bruh. It's never coming out in the U.S..
    Technically, that's not true. But the Soul FYC CD is as rare as the Gone Girl FYC CD, if not rarer.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 04-25-2021 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I appreciate the lack of jadedness in this version of trent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Goosebumps watching that, amazing stuff and well deserved.

The EGOT came up and also NiN, but they're clearly having fun and enjoying it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is hilarious, was this a little jokey piece on the telecast? I haven’t been able to watch it yet

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    But imagine someone puts their feet up on the back of your movie seat and it's an I different Trent Reznor

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Technically, that's not true. But the Soul FYC CD is as rare as the Gone Girl FYC CD, if not rarer.

I've been looking for the FYC for this for months, can't even find this image you posted on the internet. Where did you find this image?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    I've been looking for the FYC for this for months, can't even find this image you posted on the internet. Where did you find this image?
    Yes please so i can get this added to nincatalog

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    The Soul FYC is also available to stream here (if you look at the page source, you can find the MP3 links to download easily):

https://disneystudiosawards.com/soul/score

I haven't really listened to it, but it doesn't seem to be too different from the retail release. They took out tracks that weren't eligible. Some were trimmed, like "Portal / The Hall of Everything" became just "Portal". Some tracks were trimmed by, like, 5-10 seconds; I haven't checked to see if those are different in some way or just trimmed silence or something.

Also, this year was the last year that the Academy is allowing physical screeners, so there will be no more FYC CD's to collect (I believe most other awards ceremonies are following suit). Everything will be online now, like the Disney site above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    Yes please so i can get this added to nincatalog
    The NIN catalog is missing the Gone Girl FYC, the white Oscars version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo FYC, and now this Soul FYC.

Information on this and Gone Girl are on Discogs. The one for GDT that is currently on there is for the Golden Globes I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadeout54321 View Post
    Like I said, it's very rare.