Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo in the blood

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Cargo in the blood

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Great little video on the process of making the artwork. Sadly I probably won't be able to afford the book itself, but this looks amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Daaaaaaaaaaamn. That looks very awesome. It's a bit pricey...but looks to be definitely worth it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    That looks so beautiful, I've always loved his work, even did a project on him in art school. He deserves $300 for this. Mind you, I can't afford that, but I'd love to.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The whole package looks very slick. Little outside of my budget but tempted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am hoping that it doesn't sell out quick and sticks around as long as the TGWTDT box set did. At least until I'm able to get some funds to cover it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Not worth $300.
    Maybe $75.
    Not $300.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Not worth $300.
    Maybe $75.
    Not $300.
    Thanks for your $0.02.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'd love one and I'm very tempted, but I think the Mrs would crush my testicles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The video is great. 300$? Darn... I really don't have that money to spend.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Thanks for your $0.02.
    You're welcome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Thanks for your $0.02.
    (Not worth $0.02.)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    (Not worth $0.02.)
    Thanks for your support <3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ahhhhhh shit here I go spending money again.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    This probably belongs in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but I've never thought the Russel Mills artwork matched the music on Hesitation Marks at all. Definitely for TDS, but not at all for HM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This probably belongs in the controversial NIN opinions thread, but I've never thought the Russel Mills artwork matched the music on Hesitation Marks at all. Definitely for TDS, but not at all for HM.
    I'm sort of inclined to agree, but it was such a welcome relief from the Sheridan glitch (which I love but was exhausted of) that I'll still take it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree, it doesn't suit the album IMO

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I'm sort of inclined to agree, but it was such a welcome relief from the Sheridan glitch (which I love but was exhausted of) that I'll still take it
    With hesitation marks basically being TDS2, and very obviously being advertised as such I was extremely excited seeing the artwork and the aesthetic hoping for a similarly aggressive feel to the album. What we got was well...not even remotely similar to TDS in any way, shape or form. I liked the art though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    For $300 the new NIN album better be embedded in the pages in some new kind of Year Zero style ARG.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    You liked it, tony... but only enough that you'd maybe spend the equivalent of one single non-deluxe video game purchase to get high-quality reproductions of the whole set plus a unique frame-ready piece.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    For $300 the new NIN album better be embedded in the pages in some new kind of Year Zero style ARG.
    One could say there's cargo... In the blood.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm not buying this, and I don't think most fans (of NIN or Mills) will be either - which works out well since there are only 2000 copies - but at least check out the documentary about the project before assigning a value to the work.

Anyway, I think the artwork is great and would definitely like to see the book at some point. I think the artwork goes well with the album, although I don't think album art necessarily has to match the album. I think it's fine if the art changes how you hear the music. (Not that there's anything wrong if you do think the art should match the music - that's just my opinion.)

With hesitation marks basically being TDS2, and very obviously being advertised as such...
    Do you have a link to that advertising? Because that sounds like a very simplistic interpretation of what was said about the album before it came out (e.g. this), and not something that was obviously present in the advertising.
    Last edited by m15a; 12-15-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You liked it, tony... but only enough that you'd maybe spend the equivalent of one single non-deluxe video game purchase to get high-quality reproductions of the whole set plus a unique frame-ready piece.
    Pretty much. Then again I'm not the target audience for this. When ghosts came out I bought the $75 version which included 4 disks and 45 page cloth bound book with high quality photographs inspired by the album in a cloth bound box with a metal nin badge affixed to it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I'm not buying this, and I don't think most fans (of NIN or Mills) will be either - which works out well since there are only 2000 copies - but at least check out the documentary about the project before assigning a value to the work:

Anyway, I think the artwork is great and would definitely like to see the book at some point. I think the artwork goes well with the album, although I don't think album art necessarily has to match the album. I think it's fine if the art changes how you hear the music.

Do you have a link to that advertising? Because that sounds like a very simplistic interpretation of what was said about the album before it came out (e.g. this), and not something that was obviously present in the advertising.
    If you don't think that Trent was building HM off TDS you're blind.
    http://www.spin.com/2013/08/nine-inc...-marks-stream/

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Lets not get into semantics, everyone knows what he was referring to. Trent "billed" it as a sequel to TDS. There, hope that's better

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Now that I've heard Mills' comments on it, I think it matches the idea of the album just fine, which is what's more important to me. The album is about looking back at what remains of a former self, and the artwork could be seen as the representation of those remains.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 12-15-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm not buying this, and I don't think most fans (of NIN or Mills) will be either - which works out well since there are only 2000 copies - but at least check out the documentary about the project before assigning a value to the work:

Anyway, I think the artwork is great and would definitely like to see the book at some point. I think the artwork goes well with the album, although I don't think album art necessarily has to match the album. I think it's fine if the art changes how you hear the music.

Mmmm... Dem instrumental versions of HM tracks in dat video!
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-15-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, looks like my wife is getting a receipt for her birthday which is on the 21st...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If you don't think that Trent was building HM off TDS you're blind.
    http://www.spin.com/2013/08/nine-inc...-marks-stream/
    I do think Trent was building off or referencing TDS when making HM. But I think considering any work that references a previous work as "part 2" or a "sequel" is simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Lets not get into semantics, everyone knows what he was referring to. Trent "billed" it as a sequel to TDS. There, hope that's better
    It's not just "semantics". A lot of fans expected HM to sound like TDS or be a follow up to the "plot" of TDS (if there is an overarching plot), and were disappointed because of that expectation. And that's because people though "TDS part 2". When Trent is quoted as saying (from the Spin article tony.parente just linked to)
    I started really thinking a lot about who I was back in the Downward Spiral days, writing that album. Not so much the album, or how it sounds, or even really what it was about, but who I was then and who I’ve become now … how i’ve changed internally, et cetera.
    and fans expect the album to sound like TDS - that's the fault of fans, not the advertising.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Not gonna lie, when i saw the updated default pics for NIN's FB page.... my instant reaction was HOLY SHIT NEW NIN ALBUM buuuuuut then i obviously looked closer to what it actually was advertising and then my excitement vanished. Love Russell Mills artwork, would love to own the book but i don't have the money for it.

Poo.