Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soundtracks that define an era/genre

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey- the end of hair metal, with a hint of other things, including the awesome Faith No More track "The Perfect Crime"
    Enicno Man- I don't care if this 1992 films is a corny film (a guilty pleasure of mine) but to have something like Jesus and Mary Chain, club music, and "I'm too Sexy" all on the same soundtrack is pure early 90's.
    Looking at the tracklist--like Last Action Hero this is a soundtrack that could have only been released in '92/'93--Slaughter and Faith No More on the same soundtrack?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    It has been a long time since I've seen it but I seem to remember that nearly none of those songs are in the movie, or if they are it's just very briefly in the background. The Seal song is prominent at one point and the U2 track is over the end credits, but otherwise those songs were just filler for the actual film or the soundtrack itself.

The 90's had probably more big movies with either similar or greater impact on the charts as it did the box office. The synergy of studios and record companies being housed within the same corporation helped greatly too, as did MTV, where videos suddenly could become 4-5 minute TV spots. The trend wore off pretty much by the mid-2000's.
    Batman & Robin had an excellent soundtrack as well; the two Smashing Pumpkins tracks as well as the full version of "Moaner" by Underworld. It also had "Foolish Games" by Jewel (which was huge) and "Lazy Eye" by Goo Goo Dolls (which was a moderate success and only available on this soundtrack for years).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Batman & Robin had an excellent soundtrack as well; the two Smashing Pumpkins tracks as well as the full version of "Moaner" by Underworld. It also had "Foolish Games" by Jewel (which was huge) and "Lazy Eye" by Goo Goo Dolls (which was a moderate success and only available on this soundtrack for years).
    If i recall correctly, Moaner was on here a full two years before Beaucoup Fish.

Always preferred the 11-minute version...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    All this thread has done has made me weep for quality music on soundtracks for films. I can't name a single film with exclusive songs by artists that has been a real force to be reckoned with within the past 20 years.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    All this thread has done has made me weep for quality music on soundtracks for films. I can't name a single film with exclusive songs by artists that has been a real force to be reckoned with within the past 20 years.
    Because nobody buys CDs anymore, for one. Now the most soundtracks will get (not counting scores here mind you) is a streaming single.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Because nobody buys CDs anymore, for one. Now the most soundtracks will get (not counting scores here mind you) is a streaming single.
    I still buy CDs! But yeah, the days of the blockbuster soundtrack seems to have faded, although the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood one was excellent.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I still buy CDs! But yeah, the days of the blockbuster soundtrack seems to have faded, although the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood one was excellent.
    Yeah soundtrack albums made the hard sell of a compilation worth it due to exclusive content. Now that the format of the cd is gone it’s easier to make a playlist than a compilation hence singles.

Black Panther is a recent exception.

PS I still buy CDs too.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Black Panther is a recent exception.
    Good call. This is a full sdtk, and there's def. some great songs on it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I still buy CDs occasionally as well.

Also, research has shown that, yes, CD sales have dropped, but they are still outselling vinyl.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    If i recall correctly, Moaner was on here a full two years before Beaucoup Fish.

Always preferred the 11-minute version...
    Yes, Moaner also had a single release in 1997, which included Batman & Robin cover artwork.

There are also full length versions of Push Upstairs and Jumbo. The 9+ minute version of Jumbo can be found on the 1992-2012 Anthology compilation and the 6+ minute Push Upstairs in on the older 1992-2002 compilation. The 10+ minute version of Moaner can be found on both the 1992-2002 and 1992-2012 compilations along with Batman & Robin and Moaner single.

1992-2002

https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-1...2/master/47234

1992-2012 The Anthology

https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-1.../master/391190

Moaner (Single)

https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-Moaner/master/85467
    Last edited by neorev; 03-09-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Listening to the Clueless soundtrack and it's actually very good (apart from a crappy Counting Crows song). There are some covers from the 70's/80's, but they sound very 90's, as does the album overall. I haven't seen this movie since like '95/'96, but I remember enjoying it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    That's a fun movie.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Clueless is a classic. Quotable lines for dayzzz. Including this one...