Page 431 of 485 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 429 430 431 432 433 441 481 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,930 of 14527

Thread: Professional Wrestling

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    When WWE does it right, they do it right. Props for this promo video hyping WALTER v. Bate at Takeover: Cardiff.

Can we have videos like THIS during the pre-shows for to build the main roster PPV matches? More of this, less Sam Roberts.
    Even today I still think WWE does video and match packages better than anyone else.

I can't wait to watch the NXT UK TakeOver. Storm vs Ray and WALTER vs Bate will be so good.

Lots of wrasslin' today anyways. That British NJPW thing is going on, NXT UK: TakeOver Cardiff and AEW All Out.

Damn.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    On the train to Chicago (car still isn’t fixed from accident and I wasn’t comfortable driving the rental around the city) to meet my friend for the best pizza and then All Out.

Hoping for a good day. I need a win.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've come to hate JR's commentary. It just come off as "these young kids need to do wrestling the way it used to be" vibe

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I dig his "common sense" perspective. A few times, he'll call out talent for not covering and going for another high impact spot, which makes sense. If you just dropped a dude on his head, COVER HIM. No need for the move to be rolled through for another high spot.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I think the Young Bucks are dead. Jesus fucking christ

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That show... wasn't that good. Lots of one step forward, two steps back in the booking. Page was not ready for his spot, and the hardcore 3-way was some of the worst garbage this year.

Bucks/Bros. delivered though.. no shock there.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Without being a jerk off, I also heard the show was severely weaker compared to their prior PPV cards and performances.

I'll read better results later today.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It was an ok show... definitely the weakest so far. Had moments though. Am I alone in thinking orange cassidy is the dumbest thing ever?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Am I alone in thinking orange cassidy is the dumbest thing ever?
    The character is definitely silly. But once he gets going in the ring, he can be very solid.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Very "meh" show. Pac/Omega was my match of the night.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I think Orange Cassidy is awesome. not sure how it's going to translate to weekly TV though.

I thought the show was ok, I agree with some saying it was the weakest one yet. still better than most 2019 WWE PPVs .

Page will be champ, eventually. Jericho makes sense from a business standpoint at the moment, especially with trying to get advertisements and eyeballs when they go weekly next month. I can see Page winning it in the next couple of months, perhaps the Nov PPV.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I arrived just as Nyla won the Battle Royale so I can’t really judge it yet. I liked Private Party vs Evans/Angelico. Pac and Omega took a bit to get going but once it did it was good. People hated Pac going over. I loved the Cracker Barrel Clash so much. Darby Allin is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I only wish they had been given more time. Cody vs Spears ruled as well. I kept thinking MJF was going to turn. Felt bad for poor Pharaoh who got spooked my the pyro. I really thought Spears was going to win so this one surprised me. Best Friends and Dark Order was fun and I dig Orange Cassidy too. The Bucks vs Lucha Bros was batshit insane. As much as I don’t like Penta and his dumbass taunt he spams, that was a great match. Good to see the former LAX too! The main event was stiff. Those dudes beat the shit out of each other. I would’ve been okay with either becoming champ and I am totally okay with Jericho being the guy.

It’s a shame you guys didn’t like it. The crowd loved it for the most part. It still feels special. I don’t think it beat Double Or Nothing but is 2nd out of the 4 so far for me. Lots of douchebag fans shitting on Nyla and Hangman, sadly.

I am sad Kylie Rae is no longer with AEW and I hope she’s okay.
    Last edited by Swykk; 09-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    It's a shame you guys didn't like it. The crowd loved it for the most part. It still feels special. I don't think it beat Double Or Nothing but is 2nd out of the 4 so far for me.
    I don't doubt it was a blast live. A few minor gripes, production wise, that really got me. It just felt like the the two other AEW shows I've watched - All In (I know, it wasn't a true AEW show) and Double or Nothing - both felt like there was something very special compared to All Out. I can't put my finger on it. I just wasn't as blown away as I was with the other shows, and finished the show with just a little less excitement (but still a lot!) for what is to come.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The issues I have with AEW mirror a lot of the WWE issues currently, and then there's one glaring issue.

1) Hiring TNA's production crew, some of which were WCW production crew... and missing shots/cutting to uninterested crowd members.

2) Cody and Brandi as HHH and Stephanie NO ONE WANTS. Cody's "epic" 20+ minute matches are not that at all, he wants to out-HHH or be HHH?

3) Just throwing people out there with zero build up as to who they are. Like on the pre-show, with the battle royal.

4) Here's the big one: They need a booker... someone to bring this altogether. You need someone the buck stops with, like Vince... if Kliq 2.0 is in charge, no one is in charge.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    The issues I have with AEW mirror a lot of the WWE issues currently, and then there's one glaring issue.

4) Here's the big one: They need a booker... someone to bring this altogether. You need someone the buck stops with, like Vince... if Kliq 2.0 is in charge, no one is in charge.
    Kenny lost, Bucks lost, Cody won, and Jericho won (which unfortunately is best for them going into a new TV deal) so it's not like they're just booking themselves to win every match

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

1) Hiring TNA's production crew, some of which were WCW production crew... and missing shots/cutting to uninterested crowd members.

2) Cody and Brandi as HHH and Stephanie NO ONE WANTS. Cody's "epic" 20+ minute matches are not that at all, he wants to out-HHH or be HHH?

3) Just throwing people out there with zero build up as to who they are. Like on the pre-show, with the battle royal.

01 Source?

02 Not really seeing this at all. Cody didn’t marry Brandi for power.

03 BTE and Road To sets up characters all the time. They did a particularly nice piece on Darby Allin.

04 They do. Everything must go through Tony Khan. The only bad decision he’s made is no intergender matches which likely costed them Joey Ryan and Jordynne Grace.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Internet wrestling viewers mostly know who these performers are ahead of time. Those who have subscribed to WWE-only won't know these folks are first, but that's the point of BTE and the "road to..." series of shows AEW has done on their social media. Having a weekly show on a major television network will start to expose more of these performers to casual eyes and thus interest will build. This problem isn't AEW-specific but indicative of the problem with the entire industry since WWE bought out WCW. TNA suffered from this as well since they decided to go after WWE leftovers for years and are just now re-establishing themselves with a model similar to AEW.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    1) Source: Mike Johnson, PWInsider Elite Audio. I know it feels like I'm not giving a source, but it's impossible to hear without having an account, ya know?

Without getting too deep, don't get me wrong, I don't want them to fail at all. There's just a few kinks to work out, but I remember WCW didn't have a "Vince" so you could always go above someone else there if you didn't get your way. And we do not need that happening. Bret would always comment about that.

I think it was Tony Khan on X-Pac's podcast, and this exchange happened

TK: There's no politics in AEW...
    X-Pac: ... yet.

He meant it jokingly, but...

But I have to give them a chance with TV in a month or so, It's surreal having USA vs TNT in 2019 for wrestling.

Here's a recap of the PWInsider audio.

"A lot of thought and effort went into the production values for the inaugural All Elite Wrestling (AEW) pay-per-view broadcast — Double Or Nothing — this past Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The production was led by former WCW producer Keith Mitchell, with help from Kevin Sullivan (not the wrestler), as well as several other former WCW production crew members.
    Mitchell and Sullivan were both attempting to aim their production style in a way that gave the viewer the atmosphere and feel of a sports broadcast. Sullivan is credited as the man responsible for the slick video packages that aired for each match throughout the PPV."
    Last edited by poinoup; 09-03-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Bucks don't seem to fear losing and putting over talent. My number one concern was that these guys are Executive VPs and also talent. I was skeptical how it was going to work. Seems fine for now at least.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If this doesn't contribute to the discussion I understand, but I'm afraid I'm just not interested. Anybody who can potentially light a fire under the ass of the McMahons has my moral support, but as a man in middle age now I just can't see how it can align with my interests anymore.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    ^ The number of people who think the "lapsed WCW" fan are coming back for AEW is amazing. They moved on LONG ago.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's got to be what TNT is thinking. I will bet you that even during their lowest periods of the Monday Night Wars, anything TNT ran on that same timeslot after never got as close.

I'm hoping for the best, but I won't be surprised that if at the first sign of real trouble the company runs into, especially if it is reflected in ratings and attendance, that the network will bail.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Chris Jericho had the AEW title stolen from him: https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/sta...96733436792833

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ric Flair's gonna come out wearing it next week on Raw

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    ^ The number of people who think the "lapsed WCW" fan are coming back for AEW is amazing. They moved on LONG ago.
    How about the lapsed WWE fan? That was me from 2003 to 2012 but there are a lot more like me who just fell off around that same time and still haven't come back. A talking head on a wrestling podcast who needs airtime to fill for ad revenue can talk quite a bit about how AEW doesn't stand a chance. Citing WCW veterans as a potential reason for it's impending failure is a bit of a stretch however, especially since many of those same WCW people went on to work for WWE post-2001.

Again, I believe the Bucks, Cody and Tony when they say AEW isn't meant to be a direct competitor to WWE. TNT might see it differently, but so far, I've been enjoying AEW just like I still find plenty of things to enjoy in WWE. You don't have to pick one over the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Asuka just started a channel on YouTube called KanaChanTV. She really loves her video games and you can just hear it in her commentary. It sounds like she's having so much fun.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    Asuka just started a channel on YouTube called KanaChanTV. She really loves her video games and you can just hear it in her commentary. It sounds like she's having so much fun.

Never would've imagined how much I'd want an asuka gaming channel until now. Subbed pretty quick along with the other 17k.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    In the Attitude Era we'd have about 12-15 people for PPVs/Raws in my buddy's parent's basement. Around 2002, it fell off to 3. Pretty much everyone else moved on to UFC when it got hot a few years later, or became parents and their kids lost interest fast when they tried to show them it.

I just think many have moved on due to there being so much different media to consume out there. And I still hear the "the current wrestlers are too small!" excuse, too. The people I livewatch the Network with online are pretty much only interested in the archives of it. Again, all anecdotal.

However, there is a part of me that says if Cody doesn't see them as competition, he shouldn't be smashing a throne with a sledgehammer... don't mention the other company, focus on yourself.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Very happy to see my friend Wardlow get signed to AEW!

Also, AEW is coming to pittsburgh, not sure if I'm gonna go, unless I can help in someway, I really don't enjoy going to wrestling shows and sitting on the bench.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    His promo package reminded me of Lucha Underground in a good way. Any matches you can point me towards of his to get acquainted?