Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Blade Runner 2049

Here's what we know

Collider Article

LOS ANGELES, CA, MAY 17, 2012
    —Hampton Fancher is in talks to reunite with his “Blade
    Runner
    ” director Ridley Scott to develop the idea for the original screenplay for the Alcon Entertainment, Scott Free, and Bud Yorkin produced follow up to the ground-breaking 1982 science fiction classic, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove.The filmmakers are also revealing for the first time that the much-anticipated project is intended to be a sequel to the renowned original. The filmmakers would reveal only that the new story will take place some years after the first film concluded.The three-time Oscar-nominated Scott and his “Blade Runner” collaborator Fancher originally conceived of their 1982 classic as the first in a series of films incorporating the themes and characters featured in Philip K. Dick‘s groundbreaking novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?“, from which “Blade Runner” was adapted. Circumstances, however, took Scott into other directions and the project never advanced.Fancher, although a writer of fiction, was known primarily as an actor at the time Scott enlisted him to adapt the Dick novel for the screen. Fancher followed his “Blade Runner” success with the screenplays, “The Mighty Quinn” (1989) and “The MinusMan” (1999). He has continued to write fiction throughout his career.Scott also will produce with Alcon co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove as well as Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.The original film, which has been singled out as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications, was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

State Kosove and Johnson: “It is a perfect opportunity to reunite Ridley with Hampton on this new project, one in fact inspired by their own personal collaboration, a classic of cinema if there ever was one.”
    Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, “Blade Runner” was adapted by Fancher and David Peoples from
    Philip K. Dick
    ‘s groundbreaking novel “
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    ” and directed by Scott following his landmark “Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). Following the filming of “Blade Runner,” the first of Philip K. Dick’s works to be adapted into a film, many other of Dick’s works were likewise adapted, including “Total Recall,” “A Scanner Darkly,” “Minority Report,” “Paycheck,” and the recent “The Adjustment Bureau,” among others.
    My view, don't see the point in it. Yeah I totally GET a prequel to Alien but a sequel to Blade Runner? I like those secrets unanswered.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    sounds interesting... but unnecessary, yep.

We have not-really sequels to blade runner in the forms of Paul rubbish resident evil movies Anderson's "Soldier" (he said it was set in that universe...for some reason), Total Recall 2070 (which for some reason is unofficially set in the blade runner world), and Jeter's sequel books.

Who would do the soundtrack though? They have to follow that great Vangelis score

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Pretty tough act to follow, and the choice of making the lead female is pretty interesting as well. Wonder how it's all going to tie together. Oh, and yes, good luck topping the Vangelis music...it's unbelievable.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    "Prodigal Son Brings Death" is such a tune... turn it up REALLY loud, it's overpowering like brahm's german requiem (the den alles flesiche bit)

and obviously "bladerunner blues" "memories of a green" and the opening theme.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Because if there's anything we need it's more knock-offs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    Because if there's anything we need it's more knock-offs.
    The problem I have with it, is that Blade Runner is one of those perfect self-contained movies that never needed a sequel. I wouldn't call it a knock off due to the calibre of those involved but I'm worried.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It's all pretty vague still, so I can be optimistic. I agree that Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel, but I'm all for pleasant surprises.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh, and yes, good luck topping the Vangelis music...it's unbelievable.
    "Breaking news, Blade Runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by Arcade Fire, Ridley Scott under heavy guard from angry hordes."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "Breaking news, Blade Runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. NIN fans everywhere start to suck Ridley Scott's huge cock."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    More Noomi Rapace please.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen beach View Post
    "breaking news, blade runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by trent reznor and atticus ross. Nin fans everywhere start to suck ridley scott's huge cock."
    hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've been reading Sammon's Future Noir again and getting really excited for this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Trent would be all over this, given his love of the original film and it's soundtrack. Scott to write/produce, Fincher to Direct. no Ford... Win city.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    After the pile that was Prometheus I'd actually quite prefer Scott not go ahead on this.

Not that I supported it in the first place. But hey, at least Damon Lindelof has nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Why have they waited 30 years to do this?

It will just look bad compared to the original Blade Runner, how on earth do you follow up a film that is such a classic?
    Im struggling to see the point in this...

Not really enthusiastic about Ridley directing it for some reason. He is one of my favourite directors of all time, but i dont feel he will be able to bring as much to the project as he was able to one in 1982.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Scott's still a strong director in my opinion, one of the major problems with Prometheus is that he put on the writer's hat (for the first time as far as I know, at the age of 75... Mario Puzo was off form at that age, Ridley) - apparently Lindelof and to a lesser degree Spaihts were essentially typewriting his ideas for the most part. If he can stay put in the director's chair, and has a competent writer, it could turn out well.

Still, there are some other factors about Prometheus that are alarming about his choices as director. You're following a film with several particularly standout qualities: genuinely outlandish and disturbing design from Giger, a man who to this day is often copied but never equalled (as well as Cobb & co's unsettling space-submarine Nostromo designs); an all-time-great score by Jerry Goldsmith which by turns roots the setting of the film, makes your skin crawl just as much as Giger's alien interiors, and adds an element of terror to the creature; and incredible sound design (think about the scene where Brett's searching for the cat - the clanking of chains, the dripping of water, the heartbeat of the ship - you're afraid before you even see what trouble he's in).

In every single one of these fields, Prometheus dropped the ball at a fundamental level. There was actually some decent design work done for Prometheus but almost none of it made it intact into the film - and Giger is still active, how hard would it be to bring him in as a primary designer rather than just scribbling up a couple of half-glimpsed wall murals? He won't be around for ever, and when he's not, the world will be a poorer place for it.
    The Prometheus ship was so generically high-tech that it made you wonder why they bothered setting the film in the Alien universe at all.
    Hiring Marc Streitenfeld for composing work was a bad sign right from the off - you're following up a pioneering all-time-great with work from a generic composer, who's yet to come up with anything memorable? It was inevitable right at this stage that the film wouldn't have the atmosphere or character of Alien.
    The tense sound design wasn't there either, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the artists or Ridley not allowing it room to take prominence.

Adding to that, it didn't seem to be well edited - I'm sure there's a better movie lurking out there in the material, and this is a problem that's plagued most of Ridley's theatrical cuts throughout his career (even Alien was neutered for the censors, believe it or not). Ridley has a strong enough visual talent and unique outlook that he remains a formidable director in my opinion, but Prometheus shows a lot of cracks at a very basic level. I think he probably needs a smart and insightful producer to pick up the slack.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Enemy and especially Prisoners are two of my favorite movies of the past few years. Granted, I have a lot of favorites, but I love what Villeneuve does. Psyched!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I really don't want this to suck. Blade Runner was one of those movies I've watched on repeat as a kid, the ones that stick to your subconscious and feel a little like a dream as well as a movie. No movie has quite looked like it since, even though quite a few have tried. I like the director, and Ford is in, so I'm getting good vibes from this in the early stages.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    No, no, nooo. Can Hollywood just leave one classic alone? Just one? Fuck this.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    How about give it a shot, or just ignore it?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm not saying I will not watch it, but the idea still reeks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    No, no, nooo. Can Hollywood just leave one classic alone? Just one? Fuck this.
    Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.
    So... don't watch it?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    In all honesty I am pretty excited for a new movie in the blade runner universe. I just hope it would be completely separate from the first movie and only mention the events only if ever slightly. I mention this because I believe it would be impossible to replicate the atmosphere of the first and could potentially ruin the movie.
    I'm willing to keep an open mind and not prejudge Blade Runner 2 like so many people on the internet have.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't believe that a production company like the Blade Runner Partnership, which produced possibly the greatest home video treatment of any film ever (with the box set that encompasses all the multifaceted editions in one package) need bear blame for "ruining" a movie that they painstakingly restored with an eye-popping, pristine digital print, packaged with the most utterly respectful inclusion of supplementary materials I've ever seen. If you have that, then you don't need anything else... and if it's "ruined" for you by something else existing alongside it, that's your own fault.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I agree, what I meant was the possibility of tarnishing the legacy of Blade Runner kind of like the latest Total Recall movie did or Aliens 3, 4, Predator versus Aliens 1&2 etc (Some of which are actually good depending on your preferences and versions that are viewed). I will remain open minded until I can actually see the movie before judging.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    So... don't watch it?
    It will still exist and spoil the integrity of the original film, kind of like those god-awful Star Wars prequels. Doesn't Darth Vader now seem less bad-ass than he once did, knowing that he was once a love-struck whiny little turd?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Actually no, honestly. Not claiming any sort of superiority and I really regret that you can't separate the sequels/prequels from a movie, but Vader is pretty much still vader, and the xenomorph is still that lone, mysterious creature roaming the Nostromo. A Blade Runner sequel is, I think, a bad idea at this point, but I'm still intrigued, and it won't ruin the original for me.
    And remakes ruin the originals even less. Total Recall, Robocop are merely blimps on the radar...
    Last edited by Khrz; 03-04-2015 at 06:13 PM.