Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I should add that people who complained about not being able to use the flashlight while you were shooting might as well be complaining that in chess, the bishop only moves diagonally, and the knight sucks because it has to make those L-shaped moves. Not being able to see while you shoot didn't phase me one bit - I just took it to be part of the game. I'm no hardcore gamer and I got by fine. If you can't handle that one teensy hardship, turn in your gamer card. (Or buy this bundle which apparently gives you a gun-mounted flashlight, because console gamers always sucked at FPS anyway)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I should add that people who complained about not being able to use the flashlight while you were shooting might as well be complaining that in chess, the bishop only moves diagonally, and the knight sucks because it has to make those L-shaped moves. Not being able to see while you shoot didn't phase me one bit - I just took it to be part of the game. I'm no hardcore gamer and I got by fine. If you can't handle that one teensy hardship, turn in your gamer card. (Or buy this bundle which apparently gives you a gun-mounted flashlight, because console gamers always sucked at FPS anyway)

I agree...I think there should be an option to play it the "classic" Doom 3 way, with the flashlight NOT taped to your gun. Much scarier and difficult that way, even if it does allow the AI to be a little cheap sometimes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Wondering how they'll present Doom 1 and 2. It's gotta be something better than doom95 or dosbox (and it'll be a shame if players will have to continue using other source ports like Doomsday or Zdoom for playing it)
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 06-27-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Count me in on this release! I LOVED the original Doom 3 - I remember getting my hands on the E3 demo level and finding the soundpack that TR did for all the guns and what not. It had been a VERY long time (since Resident Evil 1) that a video game gave me chills and I look forward to experiencing that once more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am looking forward to this as I never played Resurrection of Evil and would love to take a romp down memory lane with Doom and Doom II, plus extra bonus levels. Do wish there was an option you could have the option of not having the flashlight ductaped to your gun. It added a chill factor.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Another ten days to go. Do you think it will hold its value? I'm wagering it will be £10 or less by Christmas.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I got it mainly because my original copy of Doom 3 for regular XBOX was stolen shortly after it came out.

I guess if your trying to compare it to modern style shooters (CoD, Halo, Borderlands, ect.) it defenitaly feels dated. But for a mid 2000's shooter, its great. The graphics are killer on the xbox too, 60fps constant with awesome lighting effects.

I havent much had a chance to play it because i cant put Borderlands 2 down!!!!!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I got this for everything that came with it. Man I forgot how much of challenge this game was when I played it on SNES years ago. But what the fuck is with all the bronze trophies? Bullshit if you ask me and some of them are really hard to achieve. For some reason when I beat a level on "Hurt Me Plenty", I am not getting the trophies... hmm need to figure this out.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Playing this has been like a visit from an old friend. I can't believe how well I remember the multiplayer maps.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Funny how Steam stopped selling original Doom3, ROE add-on, and Final Doom which is not included in BFG version :-/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Question for all you Doom fanatics....is there any cool/affordable merch/memorabilia from the games? All i found so far is the loosely related Doom books (4 diff books) that all came out in 1995/1996 i think. Wasn't able to find any other goods so far (like little statues/posters/anything that a Doom fan might want to own).

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I found a gray "Doom" t-shirt in a Goodwill near LA but that was probably swag for the movie & not the video game. It's still rad as hell. I think they did have a few limited edition statuettes at one point while the games were out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    There's also a Doom board game that comes with small monster figures, i believe

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Well this should give you some ideas @GoodSoldier333

and no it's not my collection lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Well this should give you some ideas @GoodSoldier333

and no it's not my collection lol
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. The board game (which i didn't know about until now) would've been cool but i see it's around $130 to $400 on amazon. Also, the statuettes I'm seeing right now are also up there in price. Craaaaazy.

LastDisciple.....HOLY SHIT! That entire collection looks so much cooler than any Nailz collection. Definitely one of the coolest (nerdy/collector) things i've EVER seen. Honestly, wow. THAT'S crazy.

It's a shame they don't have an ongoing merch store outside of the games. There's totally a market for it, and loads of fans around the world. If i could just have two separate collections it would be NIN and Doom.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    It's a shame they don't have an ongoing merch store outside of the games. There's totally a market for it, and loads of fans around the world. If i could just have two separate collections it would be NIN and Doom.
    I was rocking a Quake shirt I bought from Id when the game first came out. It was one of my most prized tshirts. Long since gone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No official news on anything.....

BUT

Can i just convey how bummed i am that the DOOM 4 project supposedly got completely wiped out and they're starting fresh again. It's great that they had the courage to throw a large amount of money away on a project that just wasn't working, but i just wish all this were avoided in the first place.

Sources from back in August:

http://www.geek.com/games/doom-4-did...again-1564397/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-a-personality

I don't pretend like i know id's logistics or workflow or way of management. But i do know that they split the team up and had one portion work on a less than average RAGE game, then another portion work on the DOOM 3 BFG Edition that came out last year. You're working on yet another sequel to a HUGE franchise, and you don't have your whole team working on the project? I know for what id is as a company, its actually very small compared to most others in video game franchising (like, wayy smaller).

Maybe i shouldn't be so bummed. I'm a young dude just waiting for the next title. But i'm sure others out there aren't so lucky. I mean, look how long it's been taking a Half Life 3 to come out. Plus, the longer it takes...the less people you have involved that made the previous title what it was, again with the age.

Anyone feel me?

EDIT: And you know what? I don't even know how excited i am for the new game now. Everything these days is so hinged on blowing the competition out and expectations and all that bullshit.

I'd be perfectly satisfied if John and the old team just made a game as shitty looking as Doom 1 & 2 and crafted a bunch of puzzles of level designs with your 9 guns and 3 keys and "im too young to die" setting.
    Last edited by GoodSoldier333; 10-09-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSoldier333 View Post
    No official news on anything.....

BUT

Can i just convey how bummed i am that the DOOM 4 project supposedly got completely wiped out and they're starting fresh again. It's great that they had the courage to throw a large amount of money away on a project that just wasn't working, but i just wish all this were avoided in the first place.

Sources from back in August:

http://www.geek.com/games/doom-4-did...again-1564397/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-a-personality

I don't pretend like i know id's logistics or workflow or way of management. But i do know that they split the team up and had one portion work on a less than average RAGE game, then another portion work on the DOOM 3 BFG Edition that came out last year. You're working on yet another sequel to a HUGE franchise, and you don't have your whole team working on the project? I know for what id is as a company, its actually very small compared to most others in video game franchising (like, wayy smaller).

Maybe i shouldn't be so bummed. I'm a young dude just waiting for the next title. But i'm sure others out there aren't so lucky. I mean, look how long it's been taking a Half Life 3 to come out. Plus, the longer it takes...the less people you have involved that made the previous title what it was, again with the age.

Anyone feel me?

EDIT: And you know what? I don't even know how excited i am for the new game now. Everything these days is so hinged on blowing the competition out and expectations and all that bullshit.

I'd be perfectly satisfied if John and the old team just made a game as shitty looking as Doom 1 & 2 and crafted a bunch of puzzles of level designs with your 9 guns and 3 keys and "im too young to die" setting.
    Now they're starting it all over again, it would be great if they could get TR to do the sound! seems like perfect timing to me

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Now they're starting it all over again, it would be great if they could get TR to do the sound! seems like perfect timing to me
    Dono...in 2011 a fan asked John Carmack about Trent and his possible involvement in Doom 4. Take a look for yourself (at the 12:32 minute mark).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^
    That's just got my curiosity up now, wonder what the hell happened??
    Anyway surely after 2005, Trent has different management after the Malm court case?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 10-14-2013 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Doom fans etc.. I've been sorting through much of my crap and I found I have the Chris Vrenna signed numbered Doom 3 theme 7" (no 127/500) AND a test pressing of the same thing. I hate to sound mercenary but would anyone like to make and offer for these? I'm in the UK so take shipping into account, but I'd rather they go to a fan.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2008.56.37.jpg

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Wow, how did you come by that test pressing?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Back when Myspace was a thing I did some online street teaming for Waxplotation Records (Ie,login, look for users with similar interests eg Nine inch Nails and friend them) A few hours work and they sent me a few neat things (still love my tweaker sweatbands!) I'd left it all at home though and now my parents are reclaiming my room. Pretty cool though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So i played Doom 1 and 2 in the 90s around the time both came out. Last year i started playing Doom II Plutonia Experiment & Doom II TNT Evilution (collectively referred to as Doom Final?). AWESOME. Challenging, fast-paced, and such creative level designs. So I've been playing these two for maybe a year now, and i can't go back to Doom I & Doom II now. They're so slow and easy compared to these two Final games. Anyway, if anyone hasn't tried them yet, check em out.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    If you liked final doom, you'll love the extra episode in the BFG edition.

Team TNT who made one half of final Doom also made a lot of community map packs (megawads): google them! As I recall Icarus is great. Other classic map packs are requiem, momento mori and Icarus.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    So is anyone here going to that QuakeCon thing? I'm looking forward to some information about Doom 4

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It hasn't already happened? They already announced the new one. Not called Doom 4. Simply, Doom. Reboot?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

and an article detailing the event.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-new-doom.aspx

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    What I'm excited about is the new Doom is reportedly a return to "high-speed movement and run-and-gun" gameplay. That makes me happy. I liked Doom 3 just fine, but a true Doom to me should be fast as fuck.