Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things - AKA the Kate Bush Revival

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just finished binge watching season. Absolutely loved everything about it. For sure I'm getting that soundtrack.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Yeah it's great. Good driving music
    i'd def fall asleep to this one in the car lol.

with any good instrumental/ambient album i love to do power nap meditation. add in a few dabs and im in heaven

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    edit:double post

double edit: i'll make it a worthwhile double post...http://www.mediafire.com/download/hm...LARG.enjoy.rar
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-12-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    That theme song is seriously the best one I've heard since the Suspiria theme song. At least for this specific genre.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-12-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm guessing (though not sure) that volume 1 was the entirety of the score, and volume 2 is going to be the soundtrack (i wish they hadn't called volume 1 the "soundtrack volume 1" because it's confusing). as in volume 2 is going to be all the SONGS that were used on the show, like "should i stay or should i go" and peter gabriel's cover of "heroes", etc.

but, i could be totally wrong, and we could be getting a whole bunch more synthy goodness, for which i would be very excited.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Everyone was right about this one, this show kicked ass!

Goonies and E.T. meet X-Files and Twin Peaks or even Silent Hill. Spielberg and Stephen King, perfect mix! Love the 80s setting and pop culture. Score and atmosphere were A+

Eleven is adorable!

Some people were annoyed by Dustin but he totally reminded me of a friend lmao

Lots of great acting, Winona Ryder was unhinged!

Now my question is... will they continue this from where it left off or will it be an anthology series like Fargo or American Horror Story? I suppose they haven't said yet?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After I finish Prison Break's second season, I'm gonna take a break and watch this! Lots of recommendations and praise make me know I'll love it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Everyone was right about this one, this show kicked ass!

Goonies and E.T. meet X-Files and Twin Peaks or even Silent Hill. Spielberg and Stephen King, perfect mix! Love the 80s setting and pop culture. Score and atmosphere were A+

Eleven is adorable!

Some people were annoyed by Dustin but he totally reminded me of a friend lmao

Lots of great acting, Winona Ryder was unhinged!

Now my question is... will they continue this from where it left off or will it be an anthology series like Fargo or American Horror Story? I suppose they haven't said yet?
    The creators already said it would be a continuing series, not an anthology, and Season 2 would be more like a sequel following established characters while introducing new ones. They said they have a 30 page document just based on the Upside Down with plenty of material left from it to explore in future seasons.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Why did the character Steve Harrington make me think of Tad Mikowski (from South Park)? God help me, I was just waiting for Steve to call Jonathan Byers… Jonathan Darsh.

Still, a decent first season.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Goonies and E.T. meet X-Files and Twin Peaks or even Silent Hill.
    Pretty much this. The upside down did look like it took visual inspiration from the Silent Hill fog world.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    The whole fan art scene that's developed around Stranger Things is pretty impressive.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    great article about winona, with some mentions of stranger things.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/winona-ryder-c-v-r.html

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I tried googling the actors to see what they look like now.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I tried googling the actors to see what they look like now.
    They just didn't age a bit, they're still looking exactly the same 30 years after, it's mindblowing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't really do TV, but the Mrs insist we watch this. I fucking loved it. More please.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Loved the series as a whole, but the finale was a bit underwhelming to me. As much as I fucking hated Steve, the actor have serious comedic chops, the whole scene with him in Byers' house was hilarious. Nancy hot AF. Eleven was amazing character. All the child actors really sold me, and I thought I wouldn't like it, because I usually don't like children performances in movies. These kids are fantastic.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    SPOILERS BELOW. WHOLE DAMN THING IS SPOILERS SO JUST DON'T READ IT IF YOU'RE NOT FINISHED.

Finally got around to watching this - not for lack of interest, but I just had other things that I wanted to finish first.

Goddamnit I want more.

My only minor complaint is with the finale. Really, really did not want to see that particular couple at Christmas. I feel like Steve's character was developed too much to simply be forgiven by one "oh hey guys maybe I was a dick" moment. In my mind he's still a total cock, and it just pissed me off to see someone intelligent go for him instead of the person she seemed to actually connect with.

But more importantly, I did not want to see Eleven go. Not convinced she's actually gone (I mean, that food box at the end...wtf?), but I cared a lot more about her than Will. Probably just due to screen time and the fact that at that point she was a strongly developed character whereas Will was just a kid that had been missing all season. I would have felt a little bad if they'd gone "nope, he's dead". But I felt way worse seeing Eleven just disappear.

Given the way the episode really wrapped up though, I'm encouraged for the potential for more. The tease that maybe Eleven isn't gone. The unexplained ride that Hopper took with the "bad men". Will's bathroom incident before dinner. It wasn't an "oh shit oh shit oh shit" cliffhanger, but it was enough to keep things open and leave me wanting more. What my fear was, about 80% of the way through the finale, was that they were bringing the whole season full-circle, putting closure on everything, and that any future season(s) might be completely different story lines a la American Horror Story. Maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but I just liked this story way too much to be done with it.

On the whole: loved this series. The acting from the younger cast members was fantastic. Completely outshone Winona in my opinion. Great writing - not too slow to make me not care, but not so fast paced that it felt like they were trying to cram too much into too little time. Overall, an extremely well done series, and I'm so glad that Netflix was the native medium for it. This would not have been nearly as good with strict time restrictions or networks breathing down their backs.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    SPOILERS BELOW. WHOLE DAMN THING IS SPOILERS SO JUST DON'T READ IT IF YOU'RE NOT FINISHED.
    Really, really did not want to see that particular couple at Christmas. I feel like Steve's character was developed too much to simply be forgiven by one "oh hey guys maybe I was a dick" moment. In my mind he's still a total cock, and it just pissed me off to see someone intelligent go for him instead of the person she seemed to actually connect with.
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS indeed

i think i mentioned this in an earlier post, but i am really glad the nancy & jonathan didn't end up together. not only was jonathan clearly a bit unstable (beating the shit out of someone, no matter why you're doing it, is fucked up), but it broke the trope of that sort of thing happening in EVERYTHING from the 80s.

but also, i really did feel like steve redeemed himself. he helped clean the sign that he hadn't even messed up (minor, but important), he ditched his asshole friends because he realized they were horrible, and most importantly, he came to apologize for his behavior toward jonathan completely of his own free will and ended up helping save the day. as a cherry on top of that, he made up for one of the worst things he did: breaking jonathan's camera. jonathan's clearly not a wealthy kid, so it would have been a HUGE loss for him on not only a financial level but losing his ability to creatively express himself, especially during such a traumatizing time. so steve buying him a new camera is a pretty big deal.

also, his x-mas sweater was awesome.

p.s. this is coming from someone who spent the majority of the time SCREAMING at steve through the tv

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    What my fear was, about 80% of the way through the finale, was that they were bringing the whole season full-circle, putting closure on everything, and that any future season(s) might be completely different story lines a la American Horror Story. Maybe that wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but I just liked this story way too much to be done with it.
    The Duffers said they hope this become kinda like Harry Potter, where we watch the same kids grow up and evolve with each new season: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/15...s-harry-potter

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Exclusive listen of extended theme tune from Vol.2 http://theplaylist.net/exclusive-stream-extended-version-stranger-things-theme-original-series-soundtrack-vol-2-20160817/

And Vol. 2 is out on Friday (19th) - http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news...yle_dixon_mic/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    Exclusive listen of extended theme tune from Vol.2 http://theplaylist.net/exclusive-stream-extended-version-stranger-things-theme-original-series-soundtrack-vol-2-20160817/

And Vol. 2 is out on Friday (19th) - http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news...yle_dixon_mic/
    oh man i can't even describe how happy i am that both volumes are score. wish they had called them that instead of soundtrack, though, as it confuses people.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS indeed

i think i mentioned this in an earlier post, but i am really glad the nancy & jonathan didn't end up together. not only was jonathan clearly a bit unstable (beating the shit out of someone, no matter why you're doing it, is fucked up), but it broke the trope of that sort of thing happening in EVERYTHING from the 80s.

but also, i really did feel like steve redeemed himself. he helped clean the sign that he hadn't even messed up (minor, but important), he ditched his asshole friends because he realized they were horrible, and most importantly, he came to apologize for his behavior toward jonathan completely of his own free will and ended up helping save the day. as a cherry on top of that, he made up for one of the worst things he did: breaking jonathan's camera. jonathan's clearly not a wealthy kid, so it would have been a HUGE loss for him on not only a financial level but losing his ability to creatively express himself, especially during such a traumatizing time. so steve buying him a new camera is a pretty big deal.

also, his x-mas sweater was awesome.

p.s. this is coming from someone who spent the majority of the time SCREAMING at steve through the tv
    To me, it just felt like those gestures weren't really sincere. The cleaning thing? Trying to save his own ass. Apologizing to the guy who beat the shit out of him? Probably smart not to antagonize someone who can clearly take you down. The new camera? Mommy and daddy probably paid for it. The only thing that seemed even remotely "okay, maybe he's not a helpless case" was him trying to apologize to Jonathan. But then he's being screamed at to leave and he won't?

Seems to me like he has control freak issues. His concern isn't for others. It's for himself. He's still just trying to manipulate people into liking him.

I also didn't grow up watching any 80's stuff, so I'm not familiar with or sick to death of seeing the Nancy/Jonathan type of dynamic. But in my own experience growing up, one of my best friends was a drop dead gorgeous young woman who has since gone on to become a doctor. She was amazing, and she was a true friend to me - the awkward guy who didn't really have many friends. So I have a soft spot for seeing an extremely intelligent and attractive person showing compassion to those who desperately need a friend.

But hey, this is why art is great. You have your interpretation of how it played out. I have mine. And we both fucking loved the series. Everybody wins!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I will now also concede that I am objectively wrong in my interpretation, as the very writers of the show have commented on the final pairing of these two people and how it came to be.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stra...-2-1201816664/

It's funny. They say that it's surprising that she ends up with Steve. I thought it was just the opposite - "of course the two attractive ones end up together". Then again, I was never a movie buff and don't watch a ton of TV, so like I said - not super familiar with the way things are "normally done" in these things.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    People with lisps have Netflix too, ya know...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Stranger Things Vol. 2 is out today! More score music! Including an extended version of the theme song!
    I'm gonna pick up both CDs in September so I can get this score in lossless. May pick up the vinyls for collecting purposes.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Stranger Things Vol. 2 is out today! More score music! Including an extended version of the theme song!
    I'm gonna pick up both CDs in September so I can get this score in lossless. May pick up the vinyls for collecting purposes.
    are they officially actually releasing it on vinyl? because they really should.

i'm hoping it simply didn't download to my phone properly (first time i've EVER bought something in the iTunes store directly on my phone) because "Danger Danger" seems to only play for 2 seconds before skipping to the next song.

so glad that both volumes are score, though. this music is incredible.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    are they officially actually releasing it on vinyl? because they really should.

i'm hoping it simply didn't download to my phone properly (first time i've EVER bought something in the iTunes store directly on my phone) because "Danger Danger" seems to only play for 2 seconds before skipping to the next song.

so glad that both volumes are score, though. this music is incredible.
    Yes, it's official. Lakeshore Records linked this Instagram for upcoming info...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BJDZZolgHXW/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I thought that this is cool and some people here might enjoy it.
    Make your own here: http://makeitstranger.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sorry if this has been linked already, but Vulture put together a glossary of the major references on the show. I can't remember which episode but I swear the guys who did the music threw in a little nod to Full Metal Jacket during one of Modine's scenes. Finished it last night. I'm not super-nostalgic for a lot of the culture (though I was born a week before November 6, 1983) but it was nice to see how they got everything right on an aesthetic level but let story and character take over.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    The quarry they used is practically in my backyard. I remember seeing the "ST" signs when they were filming.
    Is this the quarry from Walking Dead? Looks exactly the same.