Page 115 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 125 165 215 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 7882

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is one of those rare moments where I wish it'd be a double albums since it's been so long since 10,000 days, and we're probably not going to get another album.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    People will almost definitely complain that it's a rehash of 10,000 Days/Lateralus (especially if they use Alex Grey artwork again). When 10k Days came out, a lot of people complained that it was a rehash of Lateralus. I think that's just the style they've settled on and I don't expect the new album to mix things up TOO much (just look at "Descending"). But yeah, I'm sure everyone here and on Facebook and in the comments of every article will say it sucks because that seems to be what people do now – bitch for the sake of bitching, hate on Maynard, and never be satisfied. Here's hoping I'm wrong, though.
    Lateralus was a rehash of Aenima but not in a way that bothered me. I thought that 10,000 days was different than the last two.

I would LOVE a return to the sound of Aeinma and I would LOVE more Alex Grey artwork.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't think Lateralus was a rehash of Aenima, it was a next step. It was more progressive, the songs were longer and more complex, there was definite growth with Lateralus: a real reaching out into the spiral, a surrendering themselves to that upward and outward movement which they'd started with Aenima: Undertow is still mired and toiling in the murky gloom. With 10,000 Days they tried a few new things, but yeah there wasn't that growth spurt there anymore, probably because as @sonic_discord points out, they've pretty much settled on their sound at this point. I do think that 10,000 Days does very interesting things spatially, in terms of this epic landscape it creates, but it doesn't soar so succesfully - though it tries with Wings for Marie. I feel it is a more earthbound record than Lateralus, which I regard as their creative peak, where they find this awesome sense of freedom through their art, which is at the same time very disciplined and controlled.
    I've always wanted Tool to do a 30-minute album of 10 3-minute songs, why the fuck not.
    I also wanted them to turn Rosetta Stoned into a sci-fi rock opera, but that's just me
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-07-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    that was the reaction when 10,000 Days came out: some fans were so disappointed they thought it was a "decoy album": there were a bunch of people who actually believed that Tool were dropping some shitty fake album as a troll, and the real thing would follow..
    I will never, ever forget that. It was amazing. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and to this day I look back on it with amusement.

I really hope this is done because they really all felt it was time to come together and do something, and not just out of fan pressure. Feels like I've been hearing the "New album when" since the day 10kD came out. Trying to keep no expectations.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that was the reaction when 10,000 Days came out: some fans were so disappointed they thought it was a "decoy album": there were a bunch of people who actually believed that Tool were dropping some shitty fake album as a troll, and the real thing would follow. I hope people won't be so stupid this time, but there will be widespread disappointment whatever they do. Let's face it: rock bands peak, and Tool probably peaked with Aenima and Lateralus. That said, I'm confident that whatever they shit out will be better than 90% of what's out there.
    May I direct your attention to the world at large? There are going to be stupid people, and there are going to be trolls trolling the stupid people. It's going to suck.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Lateralus was a rehash of Aenima but not in a way that bothered me. I thought that 10,000 days was different than the last two.

I would LOVE a return to the sound of Aeinma and I would LOVE more Alex Grey artwork.
    I love Alex Grey's artwork (don't get me wrong) and it really fits the band well, but IMO it's played out and they need to do something different this time. Alex Grey paintings have become synonymous with the band, but after 17 years, it feels tired. They should find a new artist that can capture the spirit of Tool in a new and fresh way. Cam de Leon's art fit Tool perfectly as well, so it's not like they can't find a new artist who would fit the bill. If NIN had used Russell Mills' art for 17 years, we'd have been ready for a change there, too.

I don't think Lateralus was a rehash of Aenima, it was a next step. It was more progressive, the songs were longer and more complex, there was definite growth with Lateralus: a real reaching out into the spiral, a surrendering themselves to that upward and outward movement which they'd started with Aenima: Undertow is still mired and toiling in the murky gloom. With 10,000 Days they tried a few new things, but yeah there wasn't that growth spurt there anymore, probably because as @sonic_discord points out, they've pretty much settled on their sound at this point. I do think that 10,000 Days does very interesting things spatially, in terms of this epic landscape it creates, but it doesn't soar so succesfully - though it tries with Wings for Marie. I feel it is a more earthbound record than Lateralus, which I regard as their creative peak, where they find this awesome sense of freedom through their art, which is at the same time very disciplined and controlled.
    I've always wanted Tool to do a 30-minute album of 10 3-minute songs, why the fuck not.
    I also wanted them to turn Rosetta Stoned into a sci-fi rock opera, but that's just me
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. 10,000 Days felt like Lateralus part II to me, but I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all. I do prefer Lateralus to 10k Days, though.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    that was the reaction when 10,000 Days came out: some fans were so disappointed they thought it was a "decoy album": there were a bunch of people who actually believed that Tool were dropping some shitty fake album as a troll, and the real thing would follow. I hope people won't be so stupid this time, but there will be widespread disappointment whatever they do. Let's face it: rock bands peak, and Tool probably peaked with Aenima and Lateralus. That said, I'm confident that whatever they shit out will be better than 90% of what's out there.
    It's hilarious thinking a band would go that far out of their way to troll fans. Writing and recording music isn't a simple process. That would be a lot of money wasted on a "joke".

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    It's hilarious thinking a band would go that far out of their way to troll fans. Writing and recording music isn't a simple process. That would be a lot of money wasted on a "joke".
    *cough*

Ben Folds on why and how he wrote, recorded, and "leaked" a fake version of his upcoming album.

It's a simple process for some people

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I remember people saying the same thing about NIN even when "Getting Smaller" leaked way back when.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Edit: deleted rant. 2019 or 2020 at earliest.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 02-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Fun fact: Puscifer blocked me on Twitter because I had the audacity to include them in a tweet with Tool and A Perfect Circle

I understand Maynard’s wont to keep them all separate, though he can come off as a tad douchey at times. The man is a genius though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ... What EXACTLY did you write?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Probably not a good idea to post this in the APC thread but they were telling me that the reason Tool is not on iTunes is because they are in some really bad contract and don't get paid for online sales. Would this be the reason as to why it has taken over ten years for Tool to release an album. Are they waiting for that contract to dissolve and then put out a new album with the back catalog on iTunes? It's just a thought.

Why is it every band I like, it takes forever for them to put something out? Tool and NIN should collaborate on a song and call it "Soon" however NIN isn't nearly as bad as Tool.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    Probably not a good idea to post this in the APC thread but they were telling me that the reason Tool is not on iTunes is because they are in some really bad contract and don't get paid for online sales. Would this be the reason as to why it has taken over ten years for Tool to release an album. Are they waiting for that contract to dissolve and then put out a new album with the back catalog on iTunes? It's just a thought.

Why is it every band I like, it takes forever for them to put something out? Tool and NIN should collaborate on a song and call it "Soon" however NIN isn't nearly as bad as Tool.
    According to Adam when their contract with the label was set up, streaming wasn't part of the equation. Also the band doesn't believe in singles they rather the listener listen to it all the way.

There was news that Tool is looking into streaming their material but so far not much on that end.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    According to Adam when their contract with the label was set up, streaming wasn't part of the equation. Also the band doesn't believe in singles they rather the listener listen to it all the way.

There was news that Tool is looking into streaming their material but so far not much on that end.
    I’m guessing they’ve been discussing it since the last lawsuit. They have a fully finished re-recording of Opiate (the song, probably not the album) and a completed video that they wanted to release but Adam has spoken about concerns over recouping the costs. IIRC, the label fronts everything and the band has to pay them back. Without anything coming in from digital sales or streaming, I can’t imagine it would be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    What was the whole TOOL lawsuit about?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Wasn't it something to do with Chet Zar (spelling?) over artwork? Something like that?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    What was the whole TOOL lawsuit about?
    Do you want the bands horse shit explanation of how it drained them or their creative artistry, or the “I know 2 + 2 = 4” truth?...In a nut shell they ended up getting sued by one of their artists and close friend from some artwork back in the day. When they wanted to use their insurance company to help with this lawsuit, the insurance company said no bueno so they had to file a lawsuit against said insurance company. Im sure a quick google search will get the whole details and can put it more eloquently than I can, but that’s the gist of it. Think this was settled a few years ago already. Adam used it as an excuse as to why the song writing/arrangement had stalled.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Wasn't it something to do with Chet Zar (spelling?) over artwork? Something like that?
    I thought it was Cam De Leon. It's too bad, too, because his artwork was PERFECT for Tool.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I thought it was Cam De Leon. It's too bad, too, because his artwork was PERFECT for Tool.
    Could be. I'll admit, I only read about it here, probably a year or so (or more...) ago, and I never really looked too deep into it. They're both C names so, easy mistake to make probably.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    It was that Cam guy. Here’s an article from after the lawsuit...

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/cons...new-album/amp/

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Been on the fence of going to Northern Invasion- just realized that’s Mother’s Day weekend, and they specifically play on Mothers Day.

What a stupid weekend to have a festival.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    they specifically play on Mothers Day.

Either your mother doesn't mean shit to you and won't stand in your way of a seeing Tool at a festival slot.

OR

Your mother is cool as shit and will down in the pit watching it with a tab of acid with you.

It's one or the other. No other options here, clearly.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Mom > Tool

Mom is 70 y.o., and won’t drive if she has even a sip of wine. Pretty sure her in the pit with acid is out of the question.

Hell, me in the pit on acid is out of the question. Thanks for the Moms Day gift idea either way.

EDIT: being hours away from the festival doesn’t help. If it was a nearby arena show it wouldn’t be an issue. Fuckers.
    Last edited by Krazy; 02-14-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Been on the fence of going to Northern Invasion- just realized that’s Mother’s Day weekend, and they specifically play on Mothers Day.

It's for all the angsty teens who hate their parents (and are going to the festival using their allowance money)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I was right, they are not tracking the record yet ("someday").

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I’m optimistic that the guy’s so candid. He waited time he had an update on his end then lit it up.

It’s clear he wants to take it one release at a time, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BfSBSZsH8xO/

According to Adam, they will record in April.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Last edited by Amaro; 02-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Holy shit... for the first time I actually feel like we have a new album coming.