Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Watchmen (2019)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Pale Horse is a band from Watchmen's universe.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    One thing is puzzling me, though. According to nin.com, the first track was supposed to be "HOW THE WEST WAS REALLY WON". However, looking at the picture posted above, the first track is "american love (they don't make it anymore)" and the LP has 12 tracks instead of 15.

edit: I also realised that on amazon.com each LP has two release dates, and two different amazon identification numbers. Purely speculation, but what if there are 6 LPs in total, and not just 3?
    Last edited by arsenic; 11-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I asked negavinyl and they said:

Yeah it’s the score work. Some dialogue from the show.
    I guess no space rock album then Either way, we can't complain and I cannot wait to listen to it!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    I asked negavinyl and they said:

I guess no space rock album then Either way, we can't complain and I cannot wait to listen to it!
    What is the proper track list?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What is the proper track list?
    side a
    american love (they don't make it anymore)
    good men like my father
    kitty-made
    my violent new continent
    face/mask *
    no one cares but me

side b
    moloch (i fought the law)*
    dead dogs and pretty little butterflies
    locked up in here with me
    all my friends are so very soft
    the end is night (suite)*
    never compromise, never surrender

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Amazon has mine listed as arriving November 13th. Yikes...
    Same here. Just cancelled through Amazon and re-ordered through Target. If I'm going to have to wait an additional week for delivery, I'll do so and get the third vinyl free.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Hmm. I'm glad I went the Target route since there's no digital code included with the vinyl. I'll happily wait until the digital version is available & spin that on my stereo while examining the vinyl package.

*edit* That said, I blame the fine folks at Spoiler: Charlton Home Records because Spoiler: the album comes from the Watchmen universe instead of our own. Looks like someone registered "sonsofpalehorse.com on 9/4/2019 so... this could be fun!
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 11-03-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: looking forward to tonight's episode!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post

*edit* That said, I blame the fine folks at Spoiler: Charlton Home Records because Spoiler: the album comes from the Watchmen universe instead of our own.
    Goddammit I hadn’t thought of it that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    so how does it sound? is it good? i ordered mine. any links for mp3?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    side a
    american love (they don't make it anymore)
    good men like my father
    kitty-made
    my violent new continent
    face/mask *
    no one cares but me

side b
    moloch (i fought the law)*
    dead dogs and pretty little butterflies
    locked up in here with me
    all my friends are so very soft
    That's not the actual track list though, right? Isn't that for a fictional album from a fictional band?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    "SHORTLY AFTER"

Is that "soon?"
    I think they were trying to avoid what happened with Deviations 1, where people thought the only place to get it was the initial sale from nin.com. At least it's a little better communication.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That's not the actual track list though, right? Isn't that for a fictional album from a fictional band?
    It looks you're right. @tricil just posted the actual tracklist on reddit (via shazam)

1. How The West Was Really Won
    2. Orphans Of Krypton
    3. Garryowen
    4. At Midnight
    5. Objects In Mirror (Are Closer Than They Appear)
    6. Kattle Battle
    7. American Promo Story
    8. I’ll Wait
    9. Trigger Warning
    10. The Brick
    11. Never Surrender
    12. Müller Time
    13. Owl Hunts Rat
    14. Absent Friends And Old Ghosts
    15. Watch Over This Boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well this card that came with the early version certainly makes it sound like there are limited and “regular” versions. Given that Amazon hasn’t been coming through 100% on preorders, not sure what to make of this...

https://twitter.com/scottwamplerbmd/...325791232?s=21

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm confused. Several people appear to have the vinyl now, but no-ones actually said a word about, you know, the music. Or does everyone who bought the vinyl actually not own a turntable?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I'm confused. Several people appear to have the vinyl now, but no-ones actually said a word about, you know, the music. Or does everyone who bought the vinyl actually not own a turntable?
    same ;-) no talk about music whatsoever

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Initial impressions

side a

american love (they don't make it anymore) - nice opening instrumental, the beginning sounds like it would go well in a horror film
    good men like my father - soft, piano driven instrumental with the "tick tock" character speaking afterwards
    kitty-made - is the first credits song/video (the 2nd song from the credits video isn't attached to this)
    my violent new continent - Instrumental, swear it sounds kinda like a synthy modern TDS track, it f'n rocks
    face/mask * - Opening dialog regarding time is running out (this kinda starts out of nowhere, i'm not sure if it's an actual track)
    no one cares but me - Instrumental, A little bit of an Add Violence vibe to it, but with a BPM tempo of Social Network

side b
    moloch (i fought the law)* - Dialog speech warning the listener/viewer of graphic content
    dead dogs and pretty little butterflies - Hard to describe, slow, daunting,
    locked up in here with me -
    all my friends are so very soft - This is the 2nd part of the credits song/video

I had to get back to work, so some of side B impressions might be a bit mixed up, I'm sure someone will give a much deeper interpretation soon

Also, I think the actual track listings are different, I didn't realize that when writing this (I was just going by the packaging), so there's a good chance that ummm, you should disregard ALL of the track listings on my post, lol.
    Last edited by d1stinct; 11-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    Initial impressions

side a

american love (they don't make it anymore) - nice opening instrumental, the beginning sounds like it would go well in a horror film
    good men like my father - soft, piano driven instrumental with the "tick tock" character speaking afterwards
    kitty-made - is the first credits song/video (the 2nd song from the credits video isn't attached to this)
    my violent new continent - Instrumental, swear it sounds kinda like a synthy modern TDS track, it f'n rocks
    face/mask * - Opening dialog regarding time is running out (this kinda starts out of nowhere, i'm not sure if it's an actual track)
    no one cares but me - Instrumental, A little bit of an Add Violence vibe to it, but with a BPM tempo of Social Network

side b
    moloch (i fought the law)* - Dialog speech warning the listener/viewer of graphic content
    dead dogs and pretty little butterflies - Hard to describe, slow, daunting,
    locked up in here with me -
    all my friends are so very soft - This is the 2nd part of the credits song/video

I had to get back to work, so some of side B impressions might be a bit mixed up, I'm sure someone will give a much deeper interpretation soon

Also, I think the actual track listings are different, I didn't realize that when writing this (I was just going by the packaging), so there's a good chance that ummm, you should disregard ALL of the track listings on my post, lol.
    At least you had a stab at it, cheers. Can't think whether we've ever had dialogue before on any of the the previous soundtracks - my instinct is no, so that'll be 'different'.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The score is really used better and better with each episode ! That third one was great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    At least you had a stab at it, cheers. Can't think whether we've ever had dialogue before on any of the the previous soundtracks - my instinct is no, so that'll be 'different'.
    Not since the Lost Highway / Natural Born Killers days, which are obviously soundtracks and not scores. I personally prefer scores without dialogue, since I listen to them while working and writing. That said, with all the TR/AR score work that's already out there, I'm okay with something different.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Not since the Lost Highway / Natural Born Killers days, which are obviously soundtracks and not scores.
    Not exactly, since about a half of Lost Highway is Angelo Badalamenti's and Barry Adamson's score pieces.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Not exactly, since about a third of Lost Highway is Angelo Badalamenti's and Barry Adamson's score pieces.
    Sure, but I consider a score album to be exclusively the score (with maybe the occasional bit of dialogue or a song at the end) and a soundtrack to be everything else, including hybrid albums like Lost Highway. People tend to use those terms interchangeably, though, so I'm not saying that's the "correct" usage.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Haven't started the show yet because I'm reading the Graphic Novel now. It's probably the first comic/graphic novel I've read in years. It's interesting so far. Ready to start the show now so i can hear the music in context of the show.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 11-04-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Calling it right now that Volume 2 vinyl packaging will be the "TV soundtrack" for American Hero Story: Minutemen.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Are they going to upload this on Spotify? I'm just pressing "F5", like crazy---

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Haven't started the show yet because I'm reading the Graphic Novel now. It's probably the first comic/graphic novel I've read in years. It's interesting so far. Ready to start the show now.
    Good move, IMO. I had not read the story prior to watching the first 2 episodes. After Ep 2 I was all in and ordered the book. I'm about halfway through the graphic novel and it has already filled in some gaps and added context for me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Mine arrived loose in an oversized box. Two corners of the jacket were dented and folded in. Fucking Amazon..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I think my favorite thing (besides the music,) is the fact that there is NO MENTION WHATSOEVER of Reznor or Ross in the artwork/liner notes. Their commitment to this is fantastic, especially when you consider this is a Warner Bros./DC thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Müller Time is fucking EPIC.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just listened - the record sounds phenomenal and as I've known from watching the show thus far, the material contained here is stellar. Here's a more show-centric overview of the record's contents.

1. How The West Was Really Won - the eerie ambient theme with the John Carpenter Halloween style synths prominent in the first couple episodes
    2. Orphans Of Krypton - the pretty piano theme accompanying the baby being discovered in the first episode
    3. Garryowen - the Seventh Kavalry's "tick-tock" speech
    4. Nun With A Motherfucking Gun - Sister Night's theme
    5. Objects In Mirror (Are Closer Than They Appear) - interrogation room theme
    6. Kattle Battle - music from the ranch siege
    7. American Promo Story - music and narration from the American Hero Story commercial
    8. I’ll Wait - music from when Angela is heading from her house to the bakery
    9. Trigger Warning - music and narration from the content warning before American Hero Story
    10. The Brick - main theme for Laurie used frequently in the third episode
    11. Never Surrender - jazzed-up reprise and extension of Sister Night's theme
    12. Müller Time - music from the American Hero Story action scene with Hooded Justice
    13. Owl Hunts Rat - music from when Judd chases the Kavalry plane in the Owlship
    14. Absent Friends And Old Ghosts - gorgeous piano theme used when Spoiler: Judd's body is taken down and during the last minutes of Spoiler: Laurie's Dr. Manhattan call
    15. Watch Over This Boy - piano version of the "How The West Was Really Won" melody

This is such an awesome release. The quality of the work contained and the level of dedication to developing the world-building definitely puts in perspective how seriously Trent and Atticus take this project. If you've read the comic then you can really appreciate how directly the cover art and the tracklist calls back to Rorschach's storyline, and I haven't even read the liner notes yet but I fucking love the fact that the essay is written by Spoiler: the twerp with the ketchup stained smiley shirt at the New Frontiersmen who finds the journal the end of the comic. The only downside is no download-ability (yet), as I'd prefer not to have to buy three volumes twice just to rock out to Sister Night's theme while jogging.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 11-04-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: wow somehow I missed Track #4's real title, amazing