Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Joker

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Finally saw this, and my overall takeaway is: what's all the hype about?

Phoenix's acting was fantastic. I will not deny that for a second.

But the movie itself just did absolutely nothing for me. For what it's worth, I'm not a superhero movie person and couldn't care less about Marvel or DC or whatever "universe" this is. So I went into this for the sole purpose of just seeing a highly acclaimed standalone movie. And I finished without understanding what was so amazing or groundbreaking about it. A lot of people have praised it for taking a deep look at mental health, but I don't get it. Sure, the main character has a mental disorder. And they show that he's losing his support system. But they're doing so in a highly unbelievable way in which he gets away with murder, gets invited on TV for no reason (the reason they gave was nonsense), then once he finally gets arrested he gets saved by bunch of vigilantes who apparently steal an ambulance, follow the police scanner, track down the ID and location of the car transporting him, t-bone it without killing him, and then celebrate him like a hero? None of this makes the "mental health" angle of the show mean a thing to real life, because it's all a fantasy world.

So ignoring that part and just focusing on the overall movie, it just didn't do anything for me. There was nothing groundbreaking about the general concept of "guy is outcast, guy snaps, guy kills people". It's a tale as old as time. Sure, Phoenix's acting is Oscar-worthy, and I liked the direction (directing?). But the story itself just didn't grab me at all. It's not like this was an awful movie; I just don't understand the level of popularity and hype it received
    The general hatred DC receives and how formulaic Marvel has gotten (still good mostly) it was a nice surprise to see this sort of turn for a movie of this "genre" and classification. It was one of my favorite movies in awhile and I enjoyed it a great deal but I'm not gonna act like it's transcending to cinema history.

As for hype and popularity, I don't go by stuff like that for music, movies and television shows to gauge my interest. I can't for the life of me understand what the fuck is so great about Avatar. I think its overhyped and ho hum but people went ravenous for it. not my thing. It's whatever.

Sometimes you won't "get it" if there's "something to get" out of stuff like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How couldn't this be overhyped? We are living the era of comic book movies. Joker is just a huge name. You decide to show his origin, there will be hype.

I mean, the Guardians of the Galaxy were completely irrelevant and silly and pretty much stupid (and so are the movies) and even they got hyped up. It is what it is.

Difference is that Joker is actually a good movie, it has a heart, it is not filled with propaganda bullshit. One of the best movies of 2019, if not the best.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just saw this last night and loved it. Take away the DC universe side of it and it was just a great film and a nice tribute to Scorsese’s darker films.

The highlights of the entire was was the score (Hildur is a just fantastic. Loved her score for Chernobyl as well) and...seeing a director such as Todd Phillips, known for douche bro comedies...actually pull off a great dramatic film. He didn’t just direct it but wrote it as well. And from some of the behind the scenes footage and interviews he obsessively directed it. I love seeing pop out of their areas of recognition and excel. Bravo my friend.

only complaint was the tie in of another DC character in the middle and I would’ve like to have had the film end during the car cheer and delete the extra little scene all together. That felt more like a post credit scene. Felt odd ending the film with the fade to black and then coming back the way it did

overall though...can’t wait to watch it again.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Just saw this last night and loved it. Take away the DC universe side of it and it was just a great film and a nice tribute to Scorsese’s darker films.

The highlights of the entire was was the score (Hildur is a just fantastic. Loved her score for Chernobyl as well) and...seeing a director such as Todd Phillips, known for douche bro comedies...actually pull off a great dramatic film. He didn’t just direct it but wrote it as well. And from some of the behind the scenes footage and interviews he obsessively directed it. I love seeing pop out of their areas of recognition and excel. Bravo my friend.

only complaint was the tie in of another DC character in the middle and I would’ve like to have had the film end during the car cheer and delete the extra little scene all together. That felt more like a post credit scene. Felt odd ending the film with the fade to black and then coming back the way it did

overall though...can’t wait to watch it again.
    Well, you cant have Gotham without the Waynes.

As far as the end of the movie, its supposed to kinda fit in with the " Hey, was all this just made up ?" because if you look at how that room is setup and the office with his social worker is setup, they match. Also the time on the clock matches. The whole mystery of it not knowing whats real and whats not fits the character of Joker so perfectly.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Hits home video this Tuesday, the 7th.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Excited! I have the day off from work too so I know what I'll be doing!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hildur Guđnadóttir with a well-deserved win for the score last night.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Hildur Guđnadóttir with a well-deserved win for the score last night.
    I loved the OST so much I had to buy it when FYE released it on record.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the Academy got so excited that this fucking movie made a ton of money to go along with it's critical acclaim that they over-nominated the hell out of it & it pushed other, more deserving movies out of the way as a result. Bullshit.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    the Academy got so excited that this fucking movie made a ton of money to go along with it's critical acclaim that they over-nominated the hell out of it & it pushed other, more deserving movies out of the way as a result. Bullshit.
    Academy gonna Academy. There is absolutely no reason for Scorsese/Tarantino to be on these lists other than they're who they are. The Irishman and Once Upon A Time... were both enjoyable, but I wouldn't even put them in the Top 10 from last year.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It would appear that another year's nominations brings with it yet again another year's worth of complaining on Twitter.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It would appear that another year's nominations brings with it yet again another year's worth of complaining on Twitter.
    The thing is...contests mean there are losers. So as soon as you have losers, you'll have people complaining about who won or lost. Every. Single. Time. (Granted, some complaints are more valid than others, and this kind of awards show will always have a mix of both.)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Arguing, you're doing it wrong.

You have to wait for Phoenix to win ( which he will do, unless Jonathan Pryce steals it) and then, we can all properly argue about whom deserved it the most: Ledger or Phoenix.

Oh, the endless possibilities...

Hildur is going to win too, by the way. And she'll deserve it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is the ultimate validation to the notion that the canon of movie history is aimed at becoming a series of posters on some guys dorm room wall

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Academy gonna Academy. There is absolutely no reason for Scorsese/Tarantino to be on these lists other than they're who they are. The Irishman and Once Upon A Time... were both enjoyable, but I wouldn't even put them in the Top 10 from last year.
    I think Phoenix deserves an award for best actor.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I think Phoenix deserves an award for best actor.
    Me too, actually. That being said it'll probably be Adam Driver... who I also have no problem with.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Me too, actually. That being said it'll probably be Adam Driver... who I also have no problem with.
    Adam is really good, too bad he was given total shit to work with in Star Wars, but oh well.

edit: if anything, the payoff is it raised his star, the only thing I remember him from pre TFA was Girls because my ex watched that show.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-13-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Yea because of all the other countless awards that movie has been bringing in, it doesnt deserve it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sigh I wish. My wife would leave if I dropped $1300 usd on this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Filming has begun.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Filming has begun.

I just wish it could somehow dovetail with The Batman.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I just wish it could somehow dovetail with The Batman.
    I thought this at first too. But the more I think back on Joker the more I like it and the more I don't want them to connect it to anything. They basically fooled everyone so they could make a real film and it paid off. They used the comic book genre hype to tell a pretty compelling character story. Yes, it is a bit derivative of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. But it's still a good fucking movie. And the crazy part is that it worked. They made a character movie about a mentally ill guy unraveling and it made a billion fucking dollars. Think about that. Take out all the DC names and references and this is still pretty much the exact same film. They knew what they were doing and I hope they keep this mindset for the sequel. People only go out to see comic book films? Ok then we'll just use their IP for our character names and then we'll just make up our own shit.

I also found The Batman to be aiming a bit higher than the average comic book movie but it did not color quite as far outside the lines as Joker did and for that reason I think they should stay in seperate worlds. Let Matt Reeves and Todd Philips just create their own stuff until they prove they are out of ideas.

It looks like DC is going to head in a more team oriented, mass audience type thing now that Gunn is in charge. And those type movies make me want to throw up so I'm just going to enjoy whatever else we get from these two while we can. Maybe the two of them just stay under Warner and aren't included in the DC multiverse thing at all.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    It looks like DC is going to head in a more team oriented, mass audience type thing now that Gunn is in charge. And those type movies make me want to throw up so I'm just going to enjoy whatever else we get from these two while we can. Maybe the two of them just stay under Warner and aren't included in the DC multiverse thing at all.
    I personally think DC should make ALL their films their own thing or contained universes. They could really spread out into different types (thrillers, horror's, action, comedy etc) Then if they prove to be popular have one big Crisis on Infinint earths where they can all jump into each other for a big fanfare movie before returning back to their own universe with no need for those not interested in the cross over having to see it or the other films. ...they won't but i think it would be fun. Will Joker 2 make lightning hit twice? Who knows, but id rather it stayed in it's own thing and likewise The Batman rather then trying to make them fit after the fact it 2 fairly realistic universes.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    Then if they prove to be popular have one big Crisis on Infinint earths where they can all jump into each other for a big fanfare movie before returning back to their own universe
    See but here is the problem. Something like Joker, or even The Batman for that matter, are so artistically superior to the other films that have come out thus far that I highly doubt Philips and Reeves would be ok with just shoehorning them in to something like this. It would soil everything they have done to seperate and elevate their films from everything else.

Like, I'm sorry but if you put Joaquin's Joker in the same movie as The Rock's Black Adam or fucking Shazam god forbid, then it's just over. You lose all creditability at that point.

And nothing against the Rock or anyone that likes the more tame movies. I'm just saying they are two different things artistically and never the twain should meet.

And also Scorsese and all the other big time directors that get shit and get accused of being snobs are, well, just right about what these movies have become. There's nothing wrong with them existing. But I just don't want society to COMPLETELY lose cinema for the sake of art as opposed to all these mega blockbuster cgi infested thrill rides.

Let the film geeks and snobs have one is all I'm saying. haha

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey_Draws View Post
    I personally think DC should make ALL their films their own thing or contained universes. They could really spread out into different types (thrillers, horror's, action, comedy etc) Then if they prove to be popular have one big Crisis on Infinint earths where they can all jump into each other for a big fanfare movie before returning back to their own universe with no need for those not interested in the cross over having to see it or the other films. ...they won't but i think it would be fun. Will Joker 2 make lightning hit twice? Who knows, but id rather it stayed in it's own thing and likewise The Batman rather then trying to make them fit after the fact it 2 fairly realistic universes.
    that's something I read about over the weekend that Cavill was interested in.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is cool, would like to see it done to Batman 89 Nicholson Joker

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Set pics and videos of Joker 2.

Obvious spoilers, especially the two videos, though it seems to point towards something already sort of given away with the title itself perhaps.