Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: March of the Pigs background sample found!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

March of the Pigs background sample found!

Okay, long time ETS lurker and huge The Downward Spiral fan here. For years I've been fascinated with the samples on the album (THX, Aliens, Robot Jox, Leviathan, and even the lesser known ones, like the Elephant Man sample in Ruiner). Well today, I think I found something I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. I was watching the movie Sorcerer (1977, with Roy Scheider), and I heard something familiar. Remember those multitracks released back in the day? There are some very cool, odd sounds going on in the background of March of the Pigs. Well today, I think I found a buried scream. The first part of this quick .wav file linked is from MOTP, and the second brief section is the scream from about 47 minutes into the movie.

EDITED: Removed the link because am reworking my soundcloud page.
    Last edited by artdeco; 03-05-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Okay, long time ETS lurker and huge The Downward Spiral fan here. For years I've been fascinated with the samples on the album (THX, Aliens, Robot Jox, Leviathan, and even the lesser known ones, like the Elephant Man sample in Ruiner). Well today, I think I found something I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. I was watching the movie Sorcerer (1977, with Roy Scheider), and I heard something familiar. Remember those multitracks released back in the day? There are some very cool, odd sounds going on in the background of March of the Pigs. Well today, I think I found a buried scream. The first part of this quick .wav file linked is from MOTP, and the second brief section is the scream from about 47 minutes into the movie.

https://soundcloud.com/davidww/motp-...-sorcerer-film

-David

EDIT: Sorry if this belongs in one of the "samples" forums. Too dang excited about my little find.
    I just listened- and you are 100% right. You can clearly hear those samples in the opening of All The Pigs, All Lined Up as well.
    I love finding and contributing as well when it comes to NIN samples. Currently I’m playing with the 5.1 surround multi tracks to make a Ruiner instrumental and I found a scream that sounds like Kevin McAllister from home alone (lmao) but this is a great find- make sure someone puts it up on ninWiki

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yep, without question. Was the movie any good? Some of these movies the samples are from seem so obscure, I can't believe people find them.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yep, without question. Was the movie any good? Some of these movies the samples are from seem so obscure, I can't believe people find them.
    Sorcerer is awesome.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Was the movie any good?
    Just look at this fucking poster. Can it possibly be any less than totally awesome?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Here’s one I found for Ruiner and also mentioned by someone on reddit
    https://www.whosampled.com/Nine-Inch-Nails/Ruiner/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...lly_a_pitched/
    Elephant Man!
    Last edited by Destruct26; 07-28-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Momma likes cheese doodles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Here’s one I found for Ruiner and also mentioned by someone on reddit
    https://www.whosampled.com/Nine-Inch-Nails/Ruiner/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...lly_a_pitched/
    Elephant Man!
    Yeah I went digging through Elephant Man years ago and heard that one. Very cool. I'm still convinced that someday I'm gonna find the watery, weird sounds from the Downward Spiral (the song itself) in a flick. I think I read that Chris Vrenna said he still has all the DAT tapes from those sessions. When I win the Powerball I'm gonna buy them from him!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    https://soundcloud.com/robbie-corrie...eversed-sample
    Last edited by RobCoz98; 07-30-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fixed error

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I wonder what The Downward Spiral would sound like if all the samples were removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCoz98 View Post
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke's screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    Wow. Nice find. TDS is the easter egg that keeps giving.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I wonder what The Downward Spiral would sound like if all the samples were removed.
    More or less the same. The real question is how would Pretty Hate Machine sound.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I continue to love this community so fucking hard.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    The info for "MOTP" and "Ruiner" have been added to the wiki.

I'm still convinced that someday I'm gonna find the watery, weird sounds from the Downward Spiral (the song itself) in a flick.
    According to the wiki, the watery sound comes from Alien.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post

Yep, I've heard that, so naturally I whipped out the good old bluray and gave her several listens. Still haven't found it, so if anybody out there can tell me where it is specifically, I'd mighty appreciate it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Sorcerer is awesome.
    And it's a remake of a movie that is equally awesome, The Wages of Fear.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post

Much appreciated. The one issue- The section for ruiner has the sample from Eraserhead when it was actually from The Elephant Man. But those two movies are similar from what I understand.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Much appreciated. The one issue- The section for ruiner has the sample from Eraserhead when it was actually from The Elephant Man. But those two movies are similar from what I understand.
    Oops. Thanks for catching that. I've been busy as fuck this week and my mental acuity took a nosedive! It's fixed now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCoz98 View Post
    It's likely been mentioned before but it took me a while to notice that during the "mellow" acoustic section of The Becoming, when played in reverse you can hear Mickey Rourke screaming "I Know Who I Am!" from Angel Heart which was originally sampled in the Purest Feeling version of Down In It.
    You know, I just wanted to say again what an awesome find this is. It has actually changed the way I listen to that section of The Becoming now. It really doesn't seem just like a random sample from a film thrown in there, but it has meaning. I like that the song itself is about somebody who is losing their identity, and it's quite clever how with the line "hiding backwards inside of me" there is a backwards loop of a man yelling "I know who I am! I know who I am!". Your find has actually made this song better for me!

Great find, really. The Downward Spiral is an exceptionally complex album, and for reasons like this it is my favorite record of all time. This community is fantastic. Now...about those weird samples in the background of Piggy. I think someone needs to get Vrenna to transfer all those DAT tape samples to MP3 and put them online so I can go all Sherlock Holmes on them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know, I just wanted to say again what an awesome find this is. It has actually changed the way I listen to that section of The Becoming now. It really doesn't seem just like a random sample from a film thrown in there, but it has meaning. I like that the song itself is about somebody who is losing their identity, and it's quite clever how with the line "hiding backwards inside of me" there is a backwards loop of a man yelling "I know who I am! I know who I am!". Your find has actually made this song better for me!

Great find, really. The Downward Spiral is an exceptionally complex album, and for reasons like this it is my favorite record of all time. This community is fantastic. Now...about those weird samples in the background of Piggy. I think someone needs to get Vrenna to transfer all those DAT tape samples to MP3 and put them online so I can go all Sherlock Holmes on them!
    Glad to hear your thoughts on the sample and I definitely agree with you. I just was messing around with some songs one day on Audacity and I reversed the bridge and my jaw hit the floor upon finding it. I know that Brian Liesegang from Filter recently posted an image of some demo tapes from various bands and projects on his Instagram which include some Nine Inch Nails material from the Broken/Downward Spiral eras (he helped out in the studio and I think was a replacement touring member for a very short while) but I think he said he wouldn't leak anything out of respect for Trent or any of the other artists he has in his collection. I wonder if the earlier stuff has any hidden layers similar to this?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Great find, I agree that those samples Sorcerer. The second half of the sample also appears in Mother Inferior Got Her Gunn remix that Trent did for Marilyn Manson.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Can we please get a re-upload of this sample? @artdeco