Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Finally saw it today while the roommate and stepdaughter were gone. It's so fantastic, probably the best shot action film I've ever seen. Furiosa is such a boss, I loved the feminist quality of the film and the themes of hope and survival going along with it which seem extremely appropriate in this day. Tom Hardy was great, his accent was weird, but he didn't really need to say much, he just looked badass and got shit done. The first 30 minutes of the film where he's strapped to the car for the bulk of it are relentless. I thought I was going to have a heart attack several times.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Tom Hardy's speaking mystified me a bit, his mumbling and awful accent made me think of Mr Bean, or some sort of comic mime. Anyone have an explanation for this?
    Hardy is a mumbler. Just watched The Drop the other night, he was doing a New York accent. That, plus the mumbling made him almost impossible to understand.

This movie... Amazing. Saw it a while ago but my mind keeps wandering back to it. Growing up, I must have seen the original movies countless times on tv or VHS. This one totally holds up to the awesomeness of the originals.

Here is a video of the Mad Max trailer set to a metal version of Yakety Sax.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    You are right, I recently saw Lawless and he mumbles there too.
    But in Bronson he was crystal clear.
    In any case he's a fantastic actor.

And I want to see Mad Max again soon.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thought this was interestling. Uber in Seattle is currently running Mad Max style cars...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well, this is disappointing. After the early word that there were more planned, George Miller now says he will never make another Mad Max movie.

Hope it's just off the cuff...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Noooooooooooo! George, please!! I blame the Golden Globes for snubbing him...

In all seriousness, I too hope it's off the cuff. It wasn't long ago at all that he finished Fury Road, so he's probably still exhausted from it. That said, I'd love to see someone like Guillermo del Toro take on the franchise.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    yeah wtf is he saying. fury road was my fav movie of 2015

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    10 Oscar nominees including Best Picture and Director. I'm very okay with this, to say the least. One of my favorites.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wow, ten Oscar nominations. I'm very pleased with that, and it's nice to see an action film like this receive so much recognition during award season when that's rarely the case.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Maybe that'll help ease Miller back in to the direction of considering another??

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    In maybe the least surprising, but still good, news I've heard in a while... George Miller says original quote was a mix up, still has ideas for and wants to do two more Mad Max movies.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    In maybe the least surprising, but still good, news I've heard in a while... George Miller says original quote was a mix up, still has ideas for and wants to do two more Mad Max movies.
    Thats a pretty big misquote, considering what it says in the other article:

“I won’t make more ‘Mad Max’ movies,” the director told the New York Post’s Page Six. “‘Fury Road’ with Charlize Theron, Zoë Kravitz, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Riley Keough was forever getting completed. If you finish one in a year, it’s considered a leap of faith. Start, stop, start again.”
    Miller is referencing “Fury Road’s” troubled production, which began in the New South Wales outback in 2010, but had to be moved to Namibia.

Also read: Powerhouse American Society of Cinematographers Nominations Include 'Carol,' 'The Revenant' and 'Sicario'

“I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wild flowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever,” he said. “We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those ‘Mad Maxes’ take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    OMFG.

I'd already seen it so I already knew MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was OMFGAMAZEBALLZAWESOME but I took my gf to see it nonetheless. Muh gurrlll had NEVER seen ANY Mad Max movie EVAR and I was all OMFG LEMME TELL U WASSUP.

O_O

HOLY MOTHER FUCK.

JMFC.

She LOVED it.

XD
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 01-15-2016 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Haha, plz pardon my drunkpost, lol. :P

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thats a pretty big misquote, considering what it says in the other article:

“I won’t make more ‘Mad Max’ movies,” the director told the New York Post’s Page Six. “‘Fury Road’ with Charlize Theron, Zoë Kravitz, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Riley Keough was forever getting completed. If you finish one in a year, it’s considered a leap of faith. Start, stop, start again.”
    Miller is referencing “Fury Road’s” troubled production, which began in the New South Wales outback in 2010, but had to be moved to Namibia.

Also read: Powerhouse American Society of Cinematographers Nominations Include 'Carol,' 'The Revenant' and 'Sicario'

“I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wild flowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever,” he said. “We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those ‘Mad Maxes’ take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”
    For real. The fact that the first interviewer, according to Miller, just got 'garbled fragments' of what he was saying and ran with it...in to 'He doesn't want to do any more, ever!' is pretty ballsy lol.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It sounds a lot like "I didn't want to do this, and now I have one of the most lauded films of 2015 and probably way more pull with a studio, so now I absolutely want to." Regardless, I'm down. Since he mentioned doing a film all about Theron, I've wanted it. She's not in enough stuff, seriously.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    It sounds a lot like "I didn't want to do this, and now I have one of the most lauded films of 2015 and probably way more pull with a studio, so now I absolutely want to." Regardless, I'm down. Since he mentioned doing a film all about Theron, I've wanted it. She's not in enough stuff, seriously.
    Yeah I thought that too, it reminded me of Daniel Craig's situation where he was quoted as saying he'd rather slit his wrists than do another Bond movie...until he was on the Today show like two days later saying that the guy who asked him that, did so literally the DAY he finished a long ass shoot and the movie wasn't even out yet haha. His analogy of 'imagine running a marathon, and the second you cross the finish line dead tired, someone asks you "Hey! When are you gonna run another marathon?" Might be the case here. Either way, agreed on the Theron idea...it'd be badass.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    http://www.indiewire.com/2016/09/mad...er-1201727891/

I don't quite believe this is happening, but if it is, why the hell is it called Mad Max?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/m...l-history.html

After making three progressively bigger “Mad Max” movies — the 1979 original as well as “The Road Warrior” (1981) and “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome” (1985) — Miller let the franchise he created lay dormant until 1998.]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Totally on board with this one! And nice to see a somewhat different trailer than what we are given all the time. I'm still not sure about Anya Taylor Joy tough as she doesn't necessarily look that much younger than Charlize here, whom I would have prefered to star in this with a little trickery. But yes, I'm in!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Looks promising, hopefully they flesh out the characterization and not make her a Mary Sue.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm a bit worried that it looked so far exactly like Fury Road... While Fury Road was a pretty big departure from the old films

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Is it just me or does it look more fake and cartoony than Fury Road? It's possible that's exactly how Fury Road looked to me before I saw it, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's things like that goofy camera turn at 1:47 that are making this look a little off to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think it may still be touched up before release, and I was thinking the same. It does look, in my own not-very-eloquent way of putting it... sorta CGI-ish? But hell I'm sure if I go back to Fury Road there's a lot that'll look the same, it's been like 8 years.

I however, am juiced as hell for this and have faith in Miller to bring another banger.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Is it just me or does it look more fake and cartoony than Fury Road? It's possible that's exactly how Fury Road looked to me before I saw it, so I'm not sure. Maybe it's things like that goofy camera turn at 1:47 that are making this look a little off to me.
    From what I read on reddit... Two factors here. One: yes the CGI/VFX isn't finished and will be polished for the final film. Early trailers of Fury Road had the same issue. And two: yes, it's apparently shot in less practical way, because the production of Fury Road took a toll on Miller and the rest of the cast and crew and they made this film in more conventional way.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    From what I read on reddit... Two factors here. One: yes the CGI/VFX isn't finished and will be polished for the final film. Early trailers of Fury Road had the same issue. And two: yes, it's apparently shot in less practical way, because the production of Fury Road took a toll on Miller and the rest of the cast and crew and they made this film in more conventional way.
    Gotcha, thanks! Might hurt the overall experience a bit as the wow factor of all the practical effects was such a huge part of the experience of Fury Road, but if it's a good story told well, I'm totally down!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    While it certainly surpasses many recent movies in terms of practical effects, Fury Road hasn't been that CGI-free as many think. But certainly a masterclass in compositing:

Plus the cinematographer changed as well for Furiosa. Still, I think this looks heaps and bounds better than most movies I've seen recently and it's still very much unique. Getting more and more pumped the more I think of the new movie.