Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Deafheaven

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's in the ether, and it's amazing. There is a TON of layers to this thing...definitely need to listen through it again.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Pre-orders are showing up but still no drippy drippy -- and looks like my vinyl is stuck in the Shipment Label Created phase.
    Same. Really awesome that they get my hopes up thinking it would actually get here on release day if not sooner due to being "shipped" on Monday and yet here we are on Thursday with it still not having actually been shipped out. Thanks, Rough Trade.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I swear when I pre-ordered my record it said it was coming out in October. So I've had my mind set that this thing still had two months to release. Stoked that's not the case. But now I'm checking my emails every hour looking for a shipping notification.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yeah, I ordered the Shellstar variant and the CD from Hello Merch and nothing.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-19-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Album is great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm so impressed with this record. I was skeptical up until about a week or two ago, when I finally just gave myself over to being excited and optimistic despite not being totally sold by any of the singles. Yes, they've changed their sound, but what's on display here is so fully formed; they sound complete in a way they haven't before. The heaviness isn't really there outside of a few instances, but it doesn't feel missing.

George's maturation as a vocalist is the best thing that could have happened to them at this stage in their career. It's like they have found more creative, nuanced ways to straddle the extremes of their sound. The energy harnessed here is so unmistakably deafheaven, and they channel it with such ease. The flow on this record is perfect, the production is pristine, the songs seem like "generic" shoegaze revival at first glance, but there's so much going on here.

Also-- The Gnashing REALLY clicked for me once I heard it in context.

I can't say enough positive about Infinite Granite. I love their old records a lot, but each of them have bits that test my patience... there's nothing like that on Inifinte Granite. My first impression tells me that this is their best album yet.
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 08-19-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well, as much as I really love Deafheaven's GY!BE meets Black Metal style, I have to say, this is probably going to come out being my favorite Deafheaven album. Every album has had at least one song that I tend to skip, but this is the first album of there's that feels... near flawless? This is such a massively great record. After 3 run throughs now, I think Other Language is the track grabbing me the hardest, but honestly every song on this album is either a 9/10 or solid 10/10.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I guess I'm the only one really underwhelmed by this one. It alright. Certainly not great, so much less complex and layered than their previous work in my opinion. Not that I'm especially committed to George's voice on previous records, but in it's difference here it's also not great. As with previous records I can take it or leave it. It's at its best when he blends the two, which has always been the strength of this band. They're missing a dynamism and complexity here... Some of the songs *on this album* sound so similar to each other.

I do resent the broader pretention that by moving away from metal they're maturing or something. I think opeth is a very apt comparison. Both are big favorite bands of mine. Opeth's move to a proggier sound also pushed me away a bit. That said, I think opeth's sound remains very distinct, even if their last 2 or 3 albums have really left me behind. I'm really sad if that's what's happening here.

I know this all comes off super harsh. I really love this band, but I'm bummed about this album, even when I really like parts of it

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I guess I'm the only one really underwhelmed by this one. It alright. Certainly not great, so much less complex and layered than their previous work in my opinion. Not that I'm especially committed to George's voice on previous records, but in it's difference here it's also not great. As with previous records I can take it or leave it. It's at its best when he blends the two, which has always been the strength of this band. They're missing a dynamism and complexity here... Some of the songs *on this album* sound so similar to each other.

I do resent the broader pretention that by moving away from metal they're maturing or something. I think opeth is a very apt comparison. Both are big favorite bands of mine. Opeth's move to a proggier sound also pushed me away a bit. That said, I think opeth's sound remains very distinct, even if their last 2 or 3 albums have really left me behind. I'm really sad if that's what's happening here.

I know this all comes off super harsh. I really love this band, but I'm bummed about this album, even when I really like parts of it
    Nah, you're not alone. It's a solid album and I enjoy it greatly but it's not what I want to listen to when I put on this band. I'm going to easily want to listen to Daedalus, Language Games, Dream House, Come Back or Honeycomb over the tracks found on here.

I can't get into multiple albums of this style.

On a positive note, Shellstar is a great opener and one of my faves from it.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-20-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    it was solid, okay, a solid and respectable 7. i can't really say much about it. you can tell the production value is there but the tracks didn't really jump out at me.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The production is fantastic, no doubt. And I will say much of my current animosity is out of fear that this is a directional pivot instead of a one off.

Another interesting contrast is the new Wolves in the Throne Room album, also released today, also a post-ish black metal band, with them really doubling down and honing their signature sound... I'm finding myself more eager to listen to that instead, even if this is a little more fresh.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Silver Rough Trade copy finally delivered today and just getting done spinning it. Really blown away honestly, and as someone who hasn't really been into their previous style...It's about as likely for me to dive back into their discography as it is for others to just entirely jump off the boat, so I really feel for existing fans that might feel a bit blindsided.

I don't know if this is a left turn for this band, or something more permanent, but I'm 1000% feeling this album.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really love this! I don't know why but In Blur really clicked for me. I hated it the first time I heard it! Kinda wish there was more screaming in spots but I enjoy the melodic and catchy vocal parts. The production on the guitars is solid. Also, would love to hear more synthy instrumental stuff like Neptune Raining Diamonds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The singles, Shellstar and Villain are my favorites right now. The Gnashing feels so intense in context.

Excellent production and it's really great listening to some shoegaze with metal instrumentation, technique and intensity. George is doing great with his vocals, emotional with a post punk feel to them.

I having some difficulties getting Mombasa but I'll get there eventually, great record all around.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The more I listen to IG the more I actually do tend to agree with a few above...I'll definitely add about 3 tracks to my playlist and assume they'll be the ones they play live (watched some videos from their show Sat night and was pretty much spot on)...

The rest? It's great, the production is fantastic. It's also kinda forgettable for the most part. Oh well, I still dig it lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    it was solid, okay, a solid and respectable 7. i can't really say much about it. you can tell the production value is there but the tracks didn't really jump out at me.
    I am with you. Nothing grabbed me. Sort of a snooze fest, and this is coming from someone who prefers singing to screaming, and shoegaze over super heavy stuff. It just wont click. I shall give it a few more spins, but even the singles were kind of boring and we've had them for quite some time.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm still trying but I think I've made my last effort through the album as a whole for a while. A few songs stand out to me like Shellstar, Great mass of color, in blur, but ultimate I don't feel engaged by it and am kind of slogging through the stuff in between. Hoping this doesn't become the latest in a long line of metal bands to fall off of my radar after a mainstream turn. You could say... Hey this is bold and experimental for them... But it's neither. What they were doing before was.

I know this last thing is a bit dubious, but in context Ordinary Corrupt Human Love just seems a lot more fun. The band is really on command of their sound on that album and cover so much ground.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 08-23-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really digging the new album so far. I hope Infinite Granite does for their career what Sunbather did for them in 2013, they deserve the success.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Yeah, so this is all kinds of awesome. Even better with that green stuff.

Shellstar is bugging me. It totally reminds me of someone, but I just can't place it. It's been bothering me for a couple of hours now.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Nearly a week later and still no shipping confirmations for my record or the CD. What's the deal? They on backorder or delay? I don't care but at least give me an update.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Nearly a week later and still no shipping confirmations for my record or the CD. What's the deal? They on backorder or delay? I don't care but at least give me an update.
    I'd reach out to the company your ordered through -- pretty bad vinyl delays currently.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'd reach out to the company your ordered through -- pretty bad vinyl delays currently.
    I ordered from Deafheaven’s Hello Merch store.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I ordered a combo with vinyl and shirt, shipping for combos starts Friday.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I ordered the shellstar splatter vinyl by itself from Hello Merch and finally got an update yesterday afternoon with a tracking number and that a label had been created. Progress! lol

In regards to the album, I've been loving it so far. Definitely one I put on in a different mood, but life has been very stressful lately so it's felt like a balm for the soul. It's an album I can even put on with the wife and kiddo present and not get much blowback, so that's an added bonus, haha.

Favorite tracks:
    1. Villain
    2. Great Mass of Color
    3. Shellstar
    4. Mombasa

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Got an e-mail a moment ago. Guess they lurked in this thread and didn't like what I said to say. Onwards.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Hello Merch stuff is apparently going out friday. I ordered the sea glass color and havent seen one person receive it yet. I actually ordered the indie blue from a shop on friday and got it in the mail today.

You can blame the Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo's of the world for the back up. Those artists got 100k worth of vinyls pressed each and it clogged up orders for everyone else. Its a terrible trend and youre going to start seeing less indie labels even offer vinyl and go to CD's instead.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Hello Merch stuff is apparently going out friday. I ordered the sea glass color and havent seen one person receive it yet. I actually ordered the indie blue from a shop on friday and got it in the mail today.

You can blame the Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo's of the world for the back up. Those artists got 100k worth of vinyls pressed each and it clogged up orders for everyone else. Its a terrible trend and youre going to start seeing less indie labels even offer vinyl and go to CD's instead.
    The amount of unsold extra copies of that Billy Eilish album that are clogging up all the end caps and new release walls at my local shop is pretty telling. Majors pressing WAY too many copies of big releases, coupled with the now almost constant RSD release window, shutting out the smaller releases from other band's that people actually want.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The amount of unsold extra copies of that Billy Eilish album that are clogging up all the end caps and new release walls at my local shop is pretty telling. Majors pressing WAY too many copies of big releases, coupled with the now almost constant RSD release window, shutting out the smaller releases from other band's that people actually want.
    Totally. Unless it was a major artist that I was totally going to support then I would pre order. Other than that, a lot of these releases end up in the discount bin in 6 months, its a joke. Hot Topic used to be a goldmine for that stuff years ago because nobody would buy music in those stores unless it was an exclusive. And now this is just another way for the big acts to get a bump in album sales later on if the physical release was delayed. The Discogs culture is to blame too for some of this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Totally. Unless it was a major artist that I was totally going to support then I would pre order. Other than that, a lot of these releases end up in the discount bin in 6 months, its a joke. Hot Topic used to be a goldmine for that stuff years ago because nobody would buy music in those stores unless it was an exclusive. And now this is just another way for the big acts to get a bump in album sales later on if the physical release was delayed. The Discogs culture is to blame too for some of this.
    Discogs culture pisses me off too. My local shop prices ALL of their used records on the Median price off of Discogs. And I've caught them selling used copies of shit for like 80 dollars before, based on Discogs, when the exact same release was still in their bins in the original shrink wrap for 25.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I mostly blame the incredibly small number of vinyl pressing plants for not expanding their operations despite the industry exploding in popularity.