Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daughters

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Daughters

pretty sad i didn't make it to Rhode Island for the Daughters reunion show(s) this past weekend. my friend went to the second show and said it was amazing.

here's a short write-up of the show that made me even more sad that i didn't make it.

i saw them back in 2006, and it was one definitely of the more memorable shows i've ever attended.

their third, self-titled album is about to be re-released on vinyl, and i'm quite excited.

any other fans here?

some of my favorite songs:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Daughters is one of my FAVORITE bands and was HUGE influence on my band I had my senior year through freshman year of college. They were also one of the best live shows I've ever seen in my entire life. There was something dangerous about them and they had a sound like no other. Canada Songs is so grind and Locust like....but Hell Songs took that aggressive writing and matched with Jesus Lizard like vocals and it just made them have so much of a better sound.

I actually was extremely disappointed by self titled and still don't understand the praise it receives. It went for a more tamer sound and I think the production was really bad on it. I can see why people enjoy it but it just wasn't for me, the drums sound less heavy and mixed poorly and it just have the technical side of things that I LOVED on Hell Songs. I don't think I ever listened to an album as much as I did in 2006 with Hell Songs.

@eversonpoe, I'm pretty sure you saw them on the same tour I did. I believe We Came As Romans, Russian Circles and Lords opened up for them?

I also saw them in 2008 and while I don't remember too much from that show, I know it was just as insane as my first time with Daughters. I REALLY hope they decide to continue to play together and tour. I cannot stand Alex's new band "Fucking Invincible" (very static and boring hardcore music) and Fang Island hasn't really impressed me since the first album. I would love to relive my "core" and scene days and see them one more time!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i understand why people DON'T like self-titled, but i still love it. the emotional content just really gets under my skin. hell songs will always be my favorite, though.

(i also love the locust...saw them 7 or 8 times, mostly in high school)

the tour i saw them on, they were opening for red sparowes, so it was right before the tour with russian circles (which i'm SO PISSED that i missed). i didn't know red sparowes at the time, either, so i didn't even stay for their set (which sucks, because i LOVE THEM).

i don't like fucking invincible or fang island at all :/

anyway, the locust, daughters, and many of john zorn's projects were huge influences on most of the music i made in high school. i should show you some of that stuff, you'd probably love it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i understand why people DON'T like self-titled, but i still love it. the emotional content just really gets under my skin. hell songs will always be my favorite, though.

(i also love the locust...saw them 7 or 8 times, mostly in high school)

the tour i saw them on, they were opening for red sparowes, so it was right before the tour with russian circles (which i'm SO PISSED that i missed). i didn't know red sparowes at the time, either, so i didn't even stay for their set (which sucks, because i LOVE THEM).

i don't like fucking invincible or fang island at all :/

anyway, the locust, daughters, and many of john zorn's projects were huge influences on most of the music i made in high school. i should show you some of that stuff, you'd probably love it.
    Yeah, Hell Songs is great. Self titled just has moments that don't do anything for me while HS gives me goosebumps throughout the entire record. I will say the last track on self titled is flawless though and I think I remember hearing that live in 2008...I could be wrong though.

I love the Locust as well! I saw them in 2007 at a rare St. Louis show where they got their stuff stolen after the gig. =/ Fang Island was DECENT at best on their first record...I like the "AW YEAH, HIGH FIVE GUYS" mentality of the record and it seemed like a party. It's nowhere near the caliber of Daughters material though.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Daughters too. Alex had longer hair at the time and I remember I went up to him before the show and he was sitting at one of those table poker machines and we started talking about Hell Songs and the backlash it was getting from some of the older fans because of the vocals. We talked about his old band As the Sun Sets and I wished him luck for the night. As the show started, as obvious with shows like that...it was nuts...Alex was all over the place and doing his "Mitch Hedberg" uncomfortable frontman thing as the crowd was going bat shit. I was front row and singing along to every song...but I'll never forget during the bridge in "Fiesty Snakewoman"....he looked at me and said "Now this guy....this guy is gonna sing the next part for y'all" and I started sweating like crazy cause it was the only part I didn't know off the whole record as to what Alex says. Now the lyrics are "She'll sell you the road but she won't point the way home..." when Alex gave me the mic I mumbled...

"Selma dell she won't point road yawn"

...Alex laughed and took the mic away and said "This guy doesn't know what he's talking about...never get directions from him!" I was a little embarrassed but it didn't matter as when the song went back into crazy mode, a stage diver almost took me out. Two years later I was front row again for a Daughters show and in between songs, my drunk friend heckled me to Alex and said "Remember him? He didn't remember the words..." Alex looked at me and patted me on the shoulder and said in the microphone "Hey, just do what I do when I don't remember things...don't sing."

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    And yeah, I'd love to hear your tunes man!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I just listened this song (and this band) for the first time last night after seeing the new album getting lots of hype and now I feel I need to hear this album ASAP. Plan on listening to it today, but I was surprised at how hard I had to look to find a thread on these guys. From that one song alone it felt like a very ets-friendly band.

So what do the super fans think about this new album and how does it compare to their previous efforts?
    Last edited by imail724; 12-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we've been discussing them in the heavy thread since the new album came out. i think everyone forgot there was a specific daughters thread haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just started listening to them this year and love the new album. Not a seasoned fan to judge albums, but can vouch for them putting on a sick live show. Psyched to see them again in March \m/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    On my second listen through now and I've got to say, it lives up to the hype. Now I have to try to hunt down the vinyl which seems to be sold out everywhere.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    Just started listening to them this year and love the new album. Not a seasoned fan to judge albums, but can vouch for them putting on a sick live show. Psyched to see them again in March \m/
    Just got myself a pair of tickets to the Brooklyn show!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just finished listening to their first 3 albums and god damn they are QUICKLY becoming one of my favorite bands. Gotta give it a few more spins, but I wanna say self-titled is almost as good as YWGWYW. Reissue when????

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Just finished listening to their first 3 albums and god damn they are QUICKLY becoming one of my favorite bands. Gotta give it a few more spins, but I wanna say self-titled is almost as good as YWGWYW. Reissue when????
    they did a reissue of self-titled five years ago and i guess it's really hard to find (again) so hopefully soon? if i had an extra copy i'd sell it to you cheap : /

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    they did a reissue of self-titled five years ago and i guess it's really hard to find (again) so hopefully soon? if i had an extra copy i'd sell it to you cheap : /
    Just adding it to the list of records that have been reissued and the reissue is almost as rare as the original pressings. Fingers crossed it gets another reissue soon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Hyped for the show next week!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    fuck this dude forever.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-09-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Been meaning to see HEALTH for a while but never got around to it. Now I get to kills 2 birds with one stone and get to see Daughers a second time! Wonder what that pre-sale merch will be.

Also, new album in the pipeline!

Closing out the year with one last US run. This has been a wild year for us. We did not anticipate such an enthusiastic reception and the love has been nothing short of inspiring. For that, we thank you. If anyone in the states has missed our live shows over the past twelve months, December will be your last chance to see us before we return to the writing room for the follow up to YWGWYW.We’ll have a pre-sale bundle with tickets and limited edition merch available at 12pm EST on Thursday and general on sale is Friday at 10am local. All of our love. ⁣⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣⁣
    Nov. 30 - Seattle, WA @ Neumos *⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 01 - Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre *⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 02 - Portland, OR @ Star Theater *%⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 04 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore ^%⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 05 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Belasco Theater +⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 06 - San Diego, CA @ The Irenic ^ ⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 07 - Phoenix, AZ @ The Pressroom ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 08 - Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine Theater ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 10 - Austin, TX @ Emo's ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 11 - New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jack's ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 13 - Birmingham, AL @ Saturn ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 14 - Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 15 - Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 17 - Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 18 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 19 - Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 20 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer ^⁣⁣⁣
    Dec. 21 - Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club ^⁣⁣⁣
    ⁣⁣⁣
    ^ w/ HEALTH, Show Me The Body
    + w/ Protomartyr, Show Me The Body
    * w/ Lingua Ignota

% Pre-sale bundle not available

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    yep. fuck him forever.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 12-09-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Whoa wtf Health is gonna be there too? UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Health isn't at the Seattle, Vancouver, Portland or Los Angeles shows unfortunately

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    fuuuuuck him.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Whoa that's a nice line-up for every show! I loved Protomartyr, HEALTH and Show me the Body lately... I still have to see Daughters and Lingua Ignota though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    As part of the tour pre-sale, Daughters are offering a limited edition black & white vinyl pressing of “You Won’t Get What You Want” and an exclusive shirt, starting Thursday, August 15th, at daughtersofficial.com at 12pm EST/9am PST.

https://www.theprp.com/2019/08/13/ne...adlining-tour/
    Last edited by imail724; 08-14-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Might have to catch the SF show. Health was a lot of fun when I saw them in April. Great bill for sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Went to the final show of the tour in Boston tonight. Daughters sure puts on a hell of a show. Health and Show Me the Body were also great. Definitely my first experience seeing a hardcore punk band with a banjo player (SMTB).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck him.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    S/T and Hell Songs vinyl reissues finally coming. Official announcement this Wed. Also reissuing both albums, as well as the last album, on cassette.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Really, really interested to see what comes out of a new album of theirs when that eventually drops.

I still have a lot of issues with self-titled, but I really really enjoyed YWGWYW. Hell Songs is still my absolute favorite, but I'm pumped on what they do next.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I still have a lot of issues with self-titled...
    really??? i love that album! what's your beef with it?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I think all of their last 3 records are completely solid. No issues with any of them. I can listen to Canada Songs, but for the most part its not my thing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I think all of their last 3 records are completely solid. No issues with any of them. I can listen to Canada Songs, but for the most part its not my thing.
    that one has a special place in my heart because i got into them right after it came out (i think i've talked about it on here before) but i certainly prefer lex's speechifying to his screaming. a lot of people were NOT happy that he stopped screaming when Hell Songs came out, to the point that he actually addressed it online somewhere and told people to grow up and that he didn't want to not be able to speak by the time he hit 40 from abusing his vocal chords.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    really??? i love that album! what's your beef with it?
    I just find it's production to be super flat? I don't know! I was really hoping they were going to go in an even more Nick Cave meets grind vibe with their follow up, but I don't like the song writing as much as other people do. I know I'm on an island when it comes to my "eh" feelings with S/T. I remember looking forward to it for so long and it really disappointed me. =/ I think I only love the last track on that one?

YWGWYW is a better forward progression into that sound for me, personally.

I just adore the spazziness of Hell and Canada.

that one has a special place in my heart because i got into them right after it came out (i think i've talked about it on here before) but i certainly prefer lex's speechifying to his screaming. a lot of people were NOT happy that he stopped screaming when Hell Songs came out, to the point that he actually addressed it online somewhere and told people to grow up and that he didn't want to not be able to speak by the time he hit 40 from abusing his vocal chords.
    I remember that! I saw them on the Hell Songs tour that fall in St. Louis and it was great. I was super into that scene they were in back in the day, so Daughters was my bread and butter. I love Canada Songs.