Page 47 of 122 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I dunno, I had to Google it. https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...late-january-1

Meanwhile, Trump and his administration are telling people to trust them and go eat a drug that's meant for Lupus and Malaria, since the administration just bought up a huge stockpile, even though the Trump expert physicians are saying the science has yet to determine that said drug is a good idea. And now people with Lupus are having a hard time getting their drug.

See also:

Microwaves cause cancer
    Midgets have night vision
    Cats suck the breath out of babies at night
    The change of weather gives you a cold
    Sitting too close to the TV makes you go blind
    Audibly laughed startling my co-worker, who is a no longer sleeping cat.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Better make sure that cat doesn't go sucking the breath out of any babies at night. I hear that's a thing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Midgets have night vision
    You think I'm kidding?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/st...40606243586053

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What's with your negativity towards others? This is a forum, not your Facebook wall.

Oh wait

You're a facebook active, right.
    Look, you're not a very smart person. Stop talking. Comparing public health measures to gestapo tactics isn't helpful. Just shut the fuck up. Thanks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Sadly I did not.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Sadly I did not.
    Dungeons & Dragons is serious business. Everyone knows dwarves and gnomes are born with darkvision.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons is serious business. Everyone knows dwarves and gnomes are born with darkvision.
    absolutely.

Furthermore, everyone knows that cats are in league with the devil, as declared by Pope Gregory IX.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    sobering (and unsurprising) news...Coronavirus deaths are being under reported in America:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/podca...ed-in-america/
    sorry for double post.

Cases are being underreported, too, and in my area, no less. My Dr and his nurse were discussing the 3 positive tests out of the 6 performed, at the tiny hospital/clinic in Boise City, OK, where I went on last week to get my suboxone and labwork.
    But the news is still reporting no cases in that county.

There are AT LEAST 3. I'm assuming they're trying to keep people from panicking?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ yes, and I'm also thinking they don't want the stock market to crash.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Holy god. Trump just said that the reason we APPEAR to have so many cases in the U.S. is that our testing program has been so great, and that other highly affected countries would have more cases than us, if they had done as good of a job as HE did , in terms of testing, or something to that effect.

I just...I just can't.

This is coming from a man who was calling the whole thing a hoax, while SK was testing 15,000 people a day. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    https://gph.is/g/4zVkBvj

Insanity has driven me to only communicate in gifs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Masturbation makes you go blind
    Fixed that for you. And don't forget that bubble gum is full of spider eggs.

Elderly people in palliative care afraid of dying alone is breaking my heart.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    So in news that's backed by experimental data, masks do nothing (unless they're N95) to stop transmission.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

I was just reading that too. I see what they’re saying that the particles are small enough to travel thru non n95 masks. But there are a bunch of studies that say something is better than nothing. It’s believed that the countries that slowed the spread had populations wearing masks but they were also doing social distancing and school closings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/609283/

ETA a few weeks ago they were saying masks don’t work. The cdc only this weekend said wearing one could be preventative.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I was standing there at the market noticing that I could still clearly smell things while wearing my "mask" covering thing... I don't believe it protects from anything except from me directly touching my face and infecting myself. Trying more and more to limit the need to leave the house and go to the store until the apex is over.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    So in news that's backed by experimental data, masks do nothing (unless they're N95) to stop transmission.
    That's coughing. I believe the homemade masks are to prevent transmitting it via exhaling. It's an added layer, in addition to distance and all of the other measures. You're supposed to be quarantining if you have symptoms (particularly coughing and sneezing). A lot of the studies regarding masks involve coughing into surgical mask or cotton masks that pushes the viral load so high that it deems the mask dangerous.

Even if you have an N95, healthcare providers can't wear it for more than a set number of hours, because they are bad for lungs AND their efficacy is reduced against the prevention of Covid-19 (viral load). The N95s are really good at not letting the viral load get too high because of the composition of the material.

If I had a HazMat suit, I'd be wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I was standing there at the market noticing that I could still clearly smell things while wearing my "mask"
    I have (very used) N95s and you can smell things. I've sanded stuff with them, and waxed my boat. Still smelled the boat wax. It may also be because I don't have a tight enough seal. Being fitted properly with an N95 is just as important if not more important. When sanding or waxing, not so much.

My Mom lives in an elevator building and people are being pretty cool about respecting distances. Nobody is sharing an elevator. We each wait and stand really far away from each other and take turns with only one person in the elevator at a time. We send the elevator back down the lobby when we're done. Everybody is friendly. I kind of expected people to be short-tempered or maybe some assholes, but so far people have been really nice to each other.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I remember my first time figuring out how a respirator worked.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I was just reading that too. I see what they’re saying that the particles are small enough to travel thru non n95 masks. But there are a bunch of studies that say something is better than nothing. It’s believed that the countries that slowed the spread had populations wearing masks but they were also doing social distancing and school closings.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/609283/

ETA a few weeks ago they were saying masks don’t work. The cdc only this weekend said wearing one could be preventative.
    Could be, but no evidence backs that up yet with this particular virus. Distancing and hand washing is proven to work.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Could be, but no evidence backs that up yet with this particular virus. Distancing and hand washing is proven to work.
    Aren't they saying that there are studies (see above) showing that all three work together? Distancing, hand-washing plus masks? With the caveat that if you're symptomatic, you should just stay the fuck at home and quarantine? Because sneezing can travel 27 FEET.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Aren't they saying that there are studies (see above) showing that all three work together? Distancing, hand-washing plus masks? With the caveat that if you're symptomatic, you should just stay the fuck at home and quarantine? Because sneezing can travel 27 FEET.
    A complicating factor now is where I live, allergy season has kicked into overdrive. My sinuses are freaked out from the tree pollen. So I cough once in awhile. I have no fever though. I have been checked by a doctor & had the test. No virus. I do a wear a mask when out which isn't often.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I hear ya, Chuck. My allergies are in high gear!

(My nose itches incessantly.)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    A sign from a liquor store in Detriot lol!
    https://twitter.com/DetroitCSC/statu...113856/photo/1

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    When I lived in the UK, I only took certirizine...when I moved back to the US, that crap wasn't working. My doctor suggested Levocetirizine, which is a modification - worked like a charm. I'd never heard of levocetirizine in the Uk. I had suffered through Allegra for a month before asking my doctor.
    Or as referenced in the first 48s here:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    A sign from a liquor store in Detriot lol!
    https://twitter.com/DetroitCSC/statu...113856/photo/1
    In Detroit they’re called “party stores.” lol my hometown ain’t playing
    Last edited by allegro; 04-06-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    A complicating factor now is where I live, allergy season has kicked into overdrive. My sinuses are freaked out from the tree pollen. So I cough once in awhile. I have no fever though. I have been checked by a doctor & had the test. No virus. I do a wear a mask when out which isn't often.
    exactly this! we're in prime don't-touch-your-face time right now and my eyes itch so bad. SO bad. I itch them in the shower - soap abounds, right? - and I soak my face in ice cold water.

double feature there for the mammalian reflex thing, yeah.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_is_dead View Post
    Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/st...40606243586053
    See? There are some positives to this whole thing. Bright side people!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Geez. On the one hand, I can’t help but have the same gut reaction. Dude’s an imbecile at best. At best. On the other, if (when) someone said this about Obama, had it been him in office at the time, or if (when) someone starts citing the racial disparity of COVID deaths in America as a bright side, I’d be pretty fucking furious and disgusted.

I may just be getting old and soft, but I think I may come down on the side of suggesting humanity try its best to keep it classy at the moment?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    God help us, this is all we need. Trump being advised by Vince McMahon.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    When I lived in the UK, I only took certirizine...when I moved back to the US, that crap wasn't working. My doctor suggested Levocetirizine, which is a modification - worked like a charm.
    I had to Google it. Xyzal? I’ve never seen it anywhere. When Allegra stopped working as well, they bumped me to the bigger Kahuna: Xyrtec. Then they start adding Rx nose sprays. Yuck. I’m now back down to Allegra plus nose sprays.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. (Actually, mine are 365 but this season is the worst.)

They’re publishing “How to tell the difference between Covid-19 and allergies” all over the place.