Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Boys

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Watched the first two and yeah, it's pretty wild. I like how it's basically not the comics anymore - maybe a string or two but changed for the new format - so I can watch it without thinking "oh yeah this part".

Though there's one dangling thread that they keep dangling for the comic readers.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Watched the first two and yeah, it's pretty wild. I like how it's basically not the comics anymore - maybe a string or two but changed for the new format - so I can watch it without thinking "oh yeah this part".

Though there's one dangling thread that they keep dangling for the comic readers.
    I cannot wait till they get to that.

The big shock value scene from the first episode of this season with Termite made me very uncomfortable, just like it was meant to. I loved it.

While I feel like we're repeating ourselves a bit in terms of everyone just gearing up to go against Homelander again, the show does not waste any time so it's not really a big deal.

Karl Urban is just phenomenal too. He uses an ungodly amount of black hair & beard dye, but I'll allow it. So, so good, just as Antony Starr is as well. He's still terrifying as Homelander.

AND THAT POOR OCTOPUS!

R.I.P. Timothy...we hardly knew ye.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    While I feel like we're repeating ourselves a bit in terms of everyone just gearing up to go against Homelander again, the show does not waste any time so it's not really a big deal.
    I'm sure it won't be just a retread, there's the threads there now with Soldier Boy & Crimson Countess which will factor in. There's also the case of Victoria Neuman that needs sorting.

But yeah, it's fantastic to get right in again, Homelander still absolutely comes across as frighteningly unhinged, and Billy Butcher is the absolute man. Can't wait for this week's episode.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I cannot wait till they get to that.

The big shock value scene from the first episode of this season with Termite made me very uncomfortable, just like it was meant to. I loved it.

Karl Urban is just phenomenal too. He uses an ungodly amount of black hair & beard dye, but I'll allow it. So, so good, just as Antony Starr is as well. He's still terrifying as Homelander.

AND THAT POOR OCTOPUS!

R.I.P. Timothy...we hardly knew ye.
    I just don't know how they're going to do it considering both times we've seen him he isn't. Trying to keep it vague for everyone else.

I can't wait for when the series ends and someone has to do a "Top Ten Disturbing 'The Boys' Scenes" video. The Timothy scene was top tier but so are all of them. I distracted myself by wondering how the effects team did the thing with the ink and chopsticks. probably picked up a green packet of ink to give body to the chopsticks and also have the ink dribble out of Deep's mouth?

As far as the vague part, here's a more direct question so spoilers:

Spoiler: The story in the comics was that Homelander wasn't actually doing any of the things he thought he was because it was Black Noir whereas in the show it's clearly Homelander doing the things. Maybe there isn't a Black Noir twist? I was reading that it makes sense if you compare the political climate at the time of the comic to now, meaning Bush was Cheney's puppet (Homelander being Bush and Cheney being Black Noir) and Homelander is Trump. The analogy falls apart a little because Trump isn't a strong person but it fits from a 'certain point of view'.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Another great episode this week. Spoiler: Really interested in them fleshing out Soldier Boy more and seeing which way they take him, given the team has recruited him against Homelander now. I was surprised he just destroyed Crimson Countess, I thought she'd have more of a role going forward but there we go.

But things are really hotting up now. Expecting a really insane episode next week.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Glad they're cranking up the satire levels. "Woke Wok" lol.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just watched episodes 1 & 2 and what a start lol...

Having been away from this show for about a year, you forget how bonkers it can be. What The Boys does very well though is not going TOO over the top... It knows exactly what it is.

And seeing Homelander being completely even more unhinged, but also having to stand in the same room as people that have fought him, and absolutely loathe him is a small comedy all in its own.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I especially liked the scene where they're like "we should save people" and he's "but our numbers say we shouldn't" and you know Stan is the one who would be making the decision but he's not there so HL is already making dumb choices.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Yes! I loved the scene where he is trying to get to his chair before Edgar does.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

hilarious thread.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

excited but also OMG I really don't know what kind of depravity they kept from the story for this episode.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well, that was an episode. It's interesting they put so much effort into advertising the Herogasm part of the show when that was treated more like a background for the actual episode.

Also Antony Starr was in Xena along with Karl Urban - 3x apparently.

Last edited by allegate; 06-28-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    not really in love with tonight's revelation. Most times when things get TOO connected in TV or movies it bothers me. Great episode otherwise though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so the big question is who's the mom. maybe that's where he got flight?

oh Oedipus. I mean Homelander.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yea... Not happy with the finale at all.

Spoiler: What they did with Black Noir was ridiculous, and incredibly pointless, along with Maeve surviving and the entire Soldier Boy arc being one of the most anticlimactic arcs I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-08-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah, basically ending with everyone but for Damien there Spoiler: in the same place as when the season started left a bad taste in my mouth.

I look at it as the Empire of the series where the bad guys win so it's the down part. I get it, I just wish it would have had a better tracking through the season.

edit: Huh, they made this come true.

Last edited by allegate; 07-08-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    This series is awesome and i love it, this is the best superhero stuff right now by a mile, people should watch this instead of all the Marvel/DC crap.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    That finale was just ok. It would have been great if it had some actual consequences in the immediate, like as said above Maeve dying. And why kill Black Noir like that? Seems like such a waste. He did nothing in the present day on this show basically. Def spinning their wheels at this point, which is a shame. It's also very convenient that when Butcher takes Temp V he basically becomes OP and near as strong at Homelander.

Jensen Eckels was great as Soldier Boy.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Boys Crossover Confirmed
    "There's definitely crossover, and we're doing our best to design a universe that sees some of the issues and storylines in Season 3 hand off to the first season in Varsity," Kripke said. "Like there's a presidential campaign happening in the background of that season, and there's certain things that are happening at that school that are both in reaction to Season 3 of The Boys. There's Soldier Boy, etcetera, but also some new storylines that are happening in that season of the spinoff that we have to pick up and take into Season 4 of the show."
    I don't know if it's a great idea to do the "boys will be boys" thing in college.