Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Eminem - The Slim Shady Thread

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I generally think rap battles are stupid, but Eminem destroyed this coattail riding dipshit.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Wish one of these dudes would diss Ice Cube, so Cube can slaughter them....BTW Cube dissed Em back in 2010 and Em never responded...Didnt wanna fuck with the G.O.A.T. Ice Cube

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Ok so I just gotta say: while Eminem is an incredible MC, I've NEVER really been into ANY of his whole albums.
    Idk what it is. I like a lot of his songs; I make like mix cds of his tracks. And his rapping skills are fucking unreal.

But there's just something about ALL of his records that I don't really feel.
    I mean they're GOOD, just not something I would listen to regularly.

So while em might be the best technical rapper with the most skills, I've never got into a single one of his albums they way I have Jay Z or Busta Rhymes or Outkast or the Fugees or MF DOOM, or, hell, even Tyler, The Creator.

I can't put my finger on what it is.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    EDIT- I literally almost said the exact same thing a page ago. Literally LOL

I honestly think Eminem’s new material is better than all his old material, even the marshall mathers LP. I never like the jokie style of rap, I prefef the style of rap when he’s “ riding beat.” All his old albums you could see the potential like - Till I collapse, fight music, Renegade, Kim, and all his rap battles you get to see how talented he really is. I really disliked the Pitchfork review of recovery- the album was incredible but the stereotypical hipster will tell you it’s trash, it’s ass, FACTS- They should kill a YouTuber every time the word FACTS is said. JK
    Last edited by Rdm; 09-16-2018 at 02:14 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    EDIT- I literally almost said the exact same thing a page ago. Literally LOL
    Yeah dude, ha. I think the "joke songs" and "rapping about celebrities" is a big part of the problem.

Renegade is where it's at, indeed.

My, how i'd love a dark ass album full of Jay Z/Eminem collabs like that.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-16-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

LMFAO a fake Eminem diss track that apparently posted three days before that weak ass Killshot diss and absolutely smokes MGK at the same time. And people actually thought Killshot was one of the greatest diss tracks of all time? The fuck out of here..

This speaks volumes about how far Eminem has fallen, when a random fan can respond with a far superior diss track days ahead of the official one and does it way better. The mere thought that a fan can do Eminem better than Eminem can these days is sad beyond belief, lmao..

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

LMFAO a fake Eminem diss track that apparently posted three days before that weak ass Killshot diss and absolutely smokes MGK at the same time
    The random fan you're talking about is Denace, and he's a strange dude. That's WHAT HE DOES: rap EXACTLY like Eminem, more or less.

I thought his track was pretty good.
    You really think it was better than Killshot though?

Eminem can still rap his ass off.
    I'm actually an MGK fan.
    And I'm not some Eminem fanatic.

But, again, I feel that Eminem bodied MGK.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Kamikaze is okay, but Eminem's obsession with his own bubble has become exhausting. His recently published four part interview with Sway on youtube confirms he's myopically chasing his own tail. Yeah, we get it, best-selling [white] rapper of all time, you're an outsider under siege. You don't really need to prove your technical prowess anymore. We are all sufficiently impressed, even the people who don't like you. As I listened to the new record, I couldn't help but think he's demonstrated an ability with narrative and empathy (Stan) on a number of occasions. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear him rapping about, you know, life, and maybe even inventing characters, etc. It would also be a breath of fresh air to hear him actually articulate an evolution on misogyny and homophobia, two things I'm convinced he knows better about, but exploits in order to push people's buttons. For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development. Eminem's skills are undeniable, but he manages to be mostly boring despite them, and it's a shame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development.
    Sounds like you should be listening to Atmosphere.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Sounds like you should be listening to Atmosphere.
    Nobody should be listening to Atmosphere...

And I gotta disagree with @Prettybrokenspiral there... that Eminem clone guy's track fucking sucked and I felt embarrassed listening to it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Kamikaze is okay, but Eminem's obsession with his own bubble has become exhausting. His recently published four part interview with Sway on youtube confirms he's myopically chasing his own tail. Yeah, we get it, best-selling [white] rapper of all time, you're an outsider under siege. You don't really need to prove your technical prowess anymore. We are all sufficiently impressed, even the people who don't like you. As I listened to the new record, I couldn't help but think he's demonstrated an ability with narrative and empathy (Stan) on a number of occasions. It would be a breath of fresh air to hear him rapping about, you know, life, and maybe even inventing characters, etc. It would also be a breath of fresh air to hear him actually articulate an evolution on misogyny and homophobia, two things I'm convinced he knows better about, but exploits in order to push people's buttons. For fuck sake, put down the vanity mirror, and let us see you in a place a vulnerability: growing as a person and artist instead of all the posturing and unconvincing arrested development. Eminem's skills are undeniable, but he manages to be mostly boring despite them, and it's a shame.
    Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. Such a good post.

To be honest, I'm kind of skeptical that we'll ever see another great Eminem album again. He seems to live a very unusual, isolated life. I remember reading some article a few years back, and they described him living behind a wall of security in what was basically a big compound. It's not really his fault, because he's a celebrity and also because he has to vigilantly protect his sobriety, which for him means staying home and chilling. But still, the guy has spent years living a somewhat detached and "unnatural" life. I just don't see how he can rap about anything that people can relate to. It doesn't feel like he's immersed in our world anymore. He's in a very different place and he has no access to us.

This isn't unique to him, btw, it's a problem that all celebrity artists have to deal with.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post

To be honest, I'm kind of skeptical that we'll ever see another great Eminem album again.

This isn't unique to him, btw, it's a problem that all celebrity artists have to deal with.
    Agreed, it’s not isolated to one musician/band/artist/rapper/etc. Most have a time window and it’s what they do with it. I don’t see many bands put out their best material 15-20 years into their careers.

Ice Cube was mentioned in this thread by someone, and I love for what he’s contributed in the past. But WTF has he done musically recently? A lot of nothing, and some crappy movies.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    It doesn't feel like he's immersed in our world anymore. He's in a very different place and he has no access to us.
    True for the most part, but he does have access to books, documentaries, other elite creatives, therapists, and unlimited resources. There are plenty of ways he could step outside his paradigm.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I agree with the above posts that he isn't what he once was. I disagree with the Denise thing, 12 year old kids pull of excellent covers of songs. I feel like Kamikaze is a step in the right direction, possibly.

Also, am I the only one that hears nods to Ice-T on his earlier albums?
    Last edited by Pillfred; 09-17-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: muzzled up

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I think em's problem is like, I guess, basically insecurity?

I mean look at Hova. Magna Carta Holy Grail kind of flopped.

But did Hova go on some sort of offensive? Hell no. He eventually put out the mature and introspective 4:44 and keeps touring with Beyonce etc.

Could you imagine Jay Z picking a fight with Earl Sweatshirt or some shit?

Idk.

Someone was saying, and I don't remember where, but I think it's true: if Eminem saw himself the way the world sees him, he wouldn't be acting like this.

This constantly trying to prove himself and starting shit with everyone at 46 is just kind of fucking awkward.

Edit: I'm still laughing every time I think of "SON. Stan. Dad's . Not. Mad. But." though. Hahaha
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-17-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    True for the most part, but he does have access to books, documentaries, other elite creatives, therapists, and unlimited resources. There are plenty of ways he could step outside his paradigm.
    Yeah, good point. Not to mention, he's got the internet, which basically IS our world these days.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Agreed, it’s not isolated to one musician/band/artist/rapper/etc. Most have a time window and it’s what they do with it. I don’t see many bands put out their best material 15-20 years into their careers.

Ice Cube was mentioned in this thread by someone, and I love for what he’s contributed in the past. But WTF has he done musically recently? A lot of nothing, and some crappy movies.

Cube took himself out of the game musically by not releasing any albums for 8 years. Something Eminem should have done instead of embarrassing himself with His recent solo output....Every now and then Cube drops a new song to remind everyone that he is still the goat....Case in point, this song he dropped last year...

This goes harder than anything Eminem has done in the past decade

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Cube took himself out of the game musically by not releasing any albums for 8 years. Something Eminem should have done instead of embarrassing himself with His recent solo output....Every now and then Cube drops a new song to remind everyone that he is still the goat....Case in point, this song he dropped last year...

This goes harder than anything Eminem has done in the past decade
    Yeah, Eminem maybe should maybe take time off and act in some shitty fam-com movies!

I love Ice Cube BTW, but your just trolling now. And no, I don’t think Kill Shit was very good. Musicians careers are weird- they more often than not peak at some point and live off that legacy- and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yeah, Eminem maybe should maybe take time off and act in some shitty fam-com movies!

I love Ice Cube BTW, but your just trolling now. And no, I don’t think Kill Shit was very good. Musicians careers are weird- they more often than not peak at some point and live off that legacy- and there’s nothing wrong with that.
    I agree Cubes movie choices have been odd...Friday was great and he did this thriller Dangerous Ground in the late 90s that was cool....But ever since then, it seems like he just wants a paycheck and takes mainstream shit....But you gotta respect that he is trying to make it as a business mogul, rather than disappear and count his millions like Dre or embarrass himself and becoming a meme like Snoop

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    MGK looking a bit silly now. Dumb move.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    MGK looking a bit silly now. Dumb move.
    The Fall Out Boy photo you mean?
    Hahahahaha
    Yeah.
    Jesus.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Just started looking through this thread to see what people thought of the new record, and i keep seeing KGK mentioned...i have literally no idea who that is and never heard of them...and by the sounds of it i don't think i want too lol

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Jesus christ, did you guys hear the new freestyle? The wordplay is unreal and the rhyme schemes are supernatty like, but what in the FUCK?

He's rapping about kidnapping a girl and feeding her roofies, how he goes hard like the SUICIDE BOMBER from the ariana Grande show, he says fa**ot again.

Why is he so fucking angry? Like, back in the day, with songs like Kill You, you at least felt like he was kind of joking. Why is he so fucking angry now? Who the fuck is he even talking to?

My wife (who is a huge fan) and I both had mixed feelings: his technical skill is incredible, but the content is fucking ROUGH.

Edit: also, it would be different if I honestly thought he just didn't give a fuck. But I feel like that isn't the case, and this shit is carefully calculated, so it's like, WHY?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-04-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Eminem just dropped a surprise album.

Tracklist:
    01. Premonition (Intro) (2:53)
    02. Unaccommodating (feat. Young M.A) (3:36)
    03. You Gon' Learn (feat. Royce da 5'9" & White Gold) (3:54)
    04. Alfred (Interlude) (0:30)
    05. Those Kinda Nights (feat. Ed Sheeran) (2:57)
    06. In Too Deep (3:14)
    07. Godzilla (feat. Juice WRLD) (3:30)
    08. Darkness (5:37)
    09. Leaving Heaven (feat. Skylar Grey) (4:25)
    10. Yah Yah (feat. Royce Da 5'9", Black Thought, Q-Tip & Denaun) (4:46)
    11. Stepdad (Intro) (0:15)
    12. Stepdad (3:33)
    13. Marsh (3:20)
    14. Never Love Again (2:57)
    15. Little Engine (2:57)
    16. Lock It Up (feat. Anderson .Paak) (2:50)
    17. Farewell (4:07)
    18. No Regrets (feat. Don Toliver) (3:20)
    19. I Will (feat. KXNG Crooked, Royce da 5'9" & Joell Ortiz) (5:02)
    20. Alfred (Outro) (0:39)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not a big Eminem fan but I listened to the first 14 songs and this feels like the most solid material he's put out in years.
    I don't remember him yelling rapping once. Godzilla and Marsh are the standout tracks for me.

But what will Fantano say about it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Digging it so far. I really loved Kamikaze too. Feels like it's a natural progression from that one so far.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The Darkness video is fucking crazy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I was just saying this morning to a co-worker that this feels like a return to form for him. It reminds me a lot of Recovery, but I'm glad he's back to sounding more like his old self again. Revival was disappointing, Kamikaze was a big improvement, but still felt a little underwhelming to me. This is the best album since Marshall Mathers LP 2 for sure.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Eminem always seems to Ebb and Flow for some reason. He'll put out a great record, and his next one will suck. It's odd how inconsistent an artist can be.

Either way, I haven't listened to the full thing yet (since I found it at 3:30am last night before going to bed and now just woke up, heh) but I listened to some of the tracks that were getting praise (Godzilla, Darkness, I will) and enjoyed all of them so far. Which is hell of a lot more than I can say for Kamikaze. I liked 1 song off that record.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Fun fact: A few days ago I was talking with my wife about Eminem (who we both like)... I said "the ole Marshall Mathers".

She said ... ohhh is that why he is Eminem? M&M? Marshall Mathers? MM?

I was like Mmmmmaybe?!?!?