Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: House of Cards

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There's also always the possibility to replace Spacey with another actor, no?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Another actor? And what happens when that actors turns out to have an affinity for sins of the flesh. I say go with CGI.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Nah, I don't think so. Not at this point.
    Goddamnit. I hate this shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Well this blows. I'm not for what Kevin Spacey has done, but you're kinda fucking over fans and paying supporters of your service, Netflix. Are they gonna remove every Harvey Weinstein produced picture as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me?

Eight people on the show's crew alone have accused him of sexual harassment. Eight. Numerous others have accused him of even worse. And your concern is "Netflix, ur totally screwing over your paying customers"?! Jesus. Get some perspective.

Your Weinstein analogy is a false equivalence. That's already been shot, produced, and aired. He's not actively employed in it. You can fire someone from a job; you can't fire them when the job has been done for years.

This behavior 100% warrants firing, and it doesn't fucking matter one ounce whether your service's fans are sad about it. But I'll play along anyway.

Frank Underwood is no longer the president. Claire Underwood is. Frank Underwood is being investigated for numerous crimes. Season 6: start off "one year later" with in-show media reports about the downfall of Frank Underwood; how he was finally found guilty of his crimes and thrown in jail. Or hell, just have him die from complications stemming from the assassination attempt. Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.

The biggest thing I was looking forward to in season 6 was watching Frank get what was coming to him. Watching his world come tumbling down around him. Am I little sad that I won't get to see that play out now? Sure, because Kevin Spacey is very skilled at his craft and portrayed an intriguing character very convincingly. But do I feel "fucked over" as a "paying supporter of Netflix"? Hell no. The victims of sexual harassment and assault everywhere are the ones who would be getting fucked over if Netflix said "whatever, our fans paid for House of Cards so we're gonna keep paying an accused serial abuser millions of dollars to star in it". THAT'S the fucked up move to make.
    You know who else is possibly getting fucked over? Nearly everyone else working on the show, including Robin Wright if the show never resumes production and is flatout cancelled.

I'm not defending Netflix's decision here - I'm just saying the scummery of Kevin Spacey has had a ripple effect and people who had nothing to do with what the fuckbags done are been punished too.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I've never watched the show but the simplest solution to me seems to just kill his character off screen. Could that work?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I've never watched the show but the simplest solution to me seems to just kill his character off screen. Could that work?
    I have watched every season I guess I'm not giving away a spoiler since its in an ad and has been mentioned on several news outlets Spacey plays character President Frank Underwood. Presidents don't last forever (something I keep telling myself in real life as well) House Of Cards could continue on with a new President of The United States which would eliminate Spacey from the show.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Are you fucking kidding me?

Eight people on the show's crew alone have accused him of sexual harassment. Eight. Numerous others have accused him of even worse. And your concern is "Netflix, ur totally screwing over your paying customers"?! Jesus. Get some perspective.

Your Weinstein analogy is a false equivalence. That's already been shot, produced, and aired. He's not actively employed in it. You can fire someone from a job; you can't fire them when the job has been done for years.

This behavior 100% warrants firing, and it doesn't fucking matter one ounce whether your service's fans are sad about it. But I'll play along anyway.

Frank Underwood is no longer the president. Claire Underwood is. Frank Underwood is being investigated for numerous crimes. Season 6: start off "one year later" with in-show media reports about the downfall of Frank Underwood; how he was finally found guilty of his crimes and thrown in jail. Or hell, just have him die from complications stemming from the assassination attempt. Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.

The biggest thing I was looking forward to in season 6 was watching Frank get what was coming to him. Watching his world come tumbling down around him. Am I little sad that I won't get to see that play out now? Sure, because Kevin Spacey is very skilled at his craft and portrayed an intriguing character very convincingly. But do I feel "fucked over" as a "paying supporter of Netflix"? Hell no. The victims of sexual harassment and assault everywhere are the ones who would be getting fucked over if Netflix said "whatever, our fans paid for House of Cards so we're gonna keep paying an accused serial abuser millions of dollars to star in it". THAT'S the fucked up move to make.
    If Netflix are so high and mighty about rape, how come they haven't fired Danny Masterson from their series The Ranch? He has numerous rape accusations...

Netflix Takes No Action Against Danny Masterson Despite Multiple Rape Accusations
    http://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_...b0c9652fff718a

My point with Harvey Weinstein is Netflix are still making money off his aka the rapist's movies and those movies are a lure to their service. If you're going to stand for something, actually stand for something. But doing so would hurt Netflix's bottom line, so they only do a certain amount that won't hurt profits and pretend they stand for something.

For the series, they could have found a better way to get rid of his character and continue the series on. Kevin Spacey is gone and the series can continue naturally, everyone wins.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-04-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    What does the firing actually mean? We're only a few months from the season's airdate, and it was already intended to be the last one.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    What does the firing actually mean? We're only a few months from the season's airdate, and it was already intended to be the last one.
    Production was not finished. Don't know what point they were at, but it seems likely that they would have to re-write and re-shoot virtually the entire season in order to make it work. That's a huge expense, so they may decide not to do it. Hopefully, that would at least mean that anyone involved in production who was on contract will still be paid the full amount for what they would have made - I've seen it happen on numerous other jobs in the entertainment industry, so it's not out of the question to see a scenario in which the series gets canned but no one loses their paycheck.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Per the BBC:

House of Cards to resume filming in two weeks

I'm so happy to hear this. Selfishly, because I want to see the story conclude. Also somewhat selfishly, because I want to see just how freaking talented the writing staff is when it comes to basically re-doing an entire season, midway through production, sans one of the main characters.

As a production worker myself, I'm really happy to hear that all of the people who work on this will still have their jobs, save for anyone who was forced to take on other work during the period of uncertainty and won't be able to leave their new commitments. Plus Maryland's economy would've taken a huge hit if this had suddenly just packed up and disappeared, so I'm happy for them too.

But overall, what this shows more than anything else is some level of evidence to support the old "no one is irreplaceable" adage. For all the power that Spacey had in the production, they're proving that they can do it without him, and I love that. Hopefully this will set a huge precedent: you can't just do whatever you want and get away with it just because you're in a powerful position (unless, ya know, you're an elected official and there's no clear legal recourse for getting rid of you).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have a feeling things are far from over as to whether or not this next season will even see the light of day.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I have a feeling things are far from over as to whether or not this next season will even see the light of day.
    How come?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that this whole storm will somehow affect production. Then again the worst may be over, as I can't any worse charges levied at Spacey between now and whenever Netflix decides to air the last episodes.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that this whole storm will somehow affect production. Then again the worst may be over, as I can't any worse charges levied at Spacey between now and whenever Netflix decides to air the last episodes.
    I mean....the storm was because of Spacey and his being in the show.

Production stopped because Spacey was in the show.

Space is no longer in the show.

Production is resuming.

I'm a pretty pessimistic person, but I don't see what the storm has to do with this show anymore. The only thing I can guess is that he still gets royalties from previous seasons, in which case Netflix could simply yank those and only have Season 6 be live when production is finished.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Deal reached. Production resumes early 2018, with Spacey's character written out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    My hope is that the faintest of mentions is given to Frank's departure. The ending for the previous season ended up being a perfect jumping off for him.

That, or show a Spacey mock-up being brutally murdered in prison or something.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Season 6 could easily survive without Frank. Robin Wright is an extraordinary actor and her character could carry the show with ease.
    Completely agree. So many ways they can write Frank out and continue Robin as the next President!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    oh that's fucking hilarious.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I hope this final season parallels current events.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Final season drops November 2.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I hope this final season parallels current events.
    I hope not. House of Cards has been like Game of Thrones to me...a show that provides a lighthearted look at political scheming compared to the real world.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I hope not. House of Cards has been like Game of Thrones to me...a show that provides a lighthearted look at political scheming compared to the real world.
    I feel you there.
    I guess I'll walk that back a bit and say that I look forward to it being AWARE of and maybe like hinting at current events.

Ha, the fact that anyone is calling this show "light hearted" is frightening to me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Final season drops November 2.
    Damn, final season of House Of Cards and new Prodigy album on the same day.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Perfect.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Damn, final season of House Of Cards and new Prodigy album on the same day.
    watch the show on mute while you listen to the new album. maybe they sync up perfectly.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Man, that's actually disappointing. He deserved worse than that.