Page 74 of 137 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 4099

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I drove to St. Louis and back for the Welcome To Night Vale live show. Got there around 7 pm and checked by email. I had a message offering free passes to a Venom screening...at 7:00. That night. In Kansas City. Ugh...Guess I’ll just have to pay money. If nothing else, it sounds entertaining.

Edit: Update from a good friend of mine, who’s been hyped for this movie since the beginning of all this - “This movie was such a dumpster fire of a mess, I’m writing a full review.”
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-04-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That daredevil season three trailer gave me wood.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Saw Venom last night and I enjoyed it.However, I grew up reading Spiderman comics so the Origin story of Venom was important to me. Spoiler- The end credits is strange for me because they used spiderman's Maximum Carnage but the movie is based off the spinoff Venom comics I believe, but I personally haven't read them.

In my opinion Rotten Tomatoes is a scam, so I usually don't pay attention to it. So to come back and read it got a 29 percent just justifies my crazy conspiracy even more. So yay I thought the movie was entertaining because i just checked my mind 10 minutes into the movie, and said to myself they’re not sticking to the orgin story of the spiderman comics, fuck it lets try to enjoy it. I hope the MCU can tell the story better though.
    Last edited by Rdm; 10-05-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Okay, so. Venom.

Keep in mind everything I'm about to type comes from someone who's been a very big fan of the character since basically elementary school:

It's very much a middling film. The first forty minutes are a poorly structured mess, and what hurts this film the most is the fact that plainly, nobody else but Tom Hardy gives enough of a shit to turn in a worthwhile performance. It has the feel of a film rushed out and slapped together without a lot of heed paid to sensibility - a lot of nonsensical reactions, people acting dumb and doing dumb things to get from point A to B. Last battle's kind of messy to watch. Villain's nothing special and Riz Ahmed just really, really sucks all over every scene he's in. Painfully.

However:

Tom Hardy nails Eddie Brock. Hapless, self-centered, flawed, but good-hearted. The interplay between him and the Venom symbiote is easily the best thing about this movie. I really, really want him back for more. Seeing Venom in action is just a thrill. From the fights to the dialogue to the intimidation, to the way the symbiote leers and moves around, every moment he's on screen is just the greatest ride. They aced the voice and deadpan snarky humor.

There's so many nods and adaptations of source material - there's the feel that this is a movie made by people who actually cared about getting the character right and it shows. It almost has the markings of a Marvel studios movie in that the effort to do it right is there - almost.

The movie's surprisingly funny at times. Not every joke lands, and there's probably too much humor going on for the film's good, but when it hits it strikes gold. But at the same time, one of the biggest drawbacks that the film is held back by its PG-13 rating; that this should be something that makes you squirm and shudder and sicken - there are scenes that could merit it, certainly, and we don't get atmosphere anywhere near there. I really, really, really want a director's cut. Badly.

It proves - to me at least - that the character doesn't necessarily need a certain web-slinger to hold his own. And that's a very important take-away. It DOES make me hope for a Tom Hardy vs.Tom Holland confrontation, though. It would be wonderful.

It's dumb and nonsensical, but it's fun and enjoyable. Heart but no teeth. Not as bad as I feared, but less than what I'd hoped for. A decent popcorn flick that mercifully is much less of a chore to get through than, say, the first 2 Thor movies, X-Men Apocalypse, or most of what DC's put out since 2008 barring Wonder Woman.

A generous 6/10 from me. For most others it'd probably be a 5. I can think of worse ways to spend 10 bucks and an hour and a half.

Spoiler: Oh god why does Woody Harrelson look like Robert Smith trying to cosplay Ronald McDonald please fix that next time

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Okay, so. Venom.
    I thought it was decent. I agree Hardy did a good job as Eddie and the rest just kind of phoned it in somewhat. Your spoiler made me laugh but hopefully they make it work. It's not as bad as I imagine the critics would have one believe. Rarely do I feel this way but hopefully when the directors cut comes out it'll add to the film and just add in nonsense.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've said my piece on Venom, but i'm glad at least some of you enjoyed it (i don't know how but good you on!) I clearly missed something.

Now the lull between now and Captain Marvel begins...just when do we think we're going to get the Avengers 4 trailer?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Early reports seem to indicate they are indeed moving forward with the next installement. I'm really looking forward to it as stated earlier. The movie has major flaws, but the character is just too good to throw away or reboot entirely.

And as I've rewatched the last three Spiderman movies, I have to confess that while Homecoming is definitely crafted more carefully, I enjoyed Venom more for what it is although it is sloppy and thrown together at least the action was fun and it had more laughs for me than any other movie bar Ragnarok. And hell, I can't think of any of these movies that was Oscar-worthy to begin with.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wasn’t sure if it belonged here or in the Netflix thread, but the first Marvel show to get the axe has arrived...

Iron Fist, we hardly knew ye.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I can't say I'm surprised. While I enjoyed parts of Iron Fist S1 (Haven't watched S2), it was easily the weakest of the Netflix shows.

Daredevil S1 > Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones S1 > Punisher S1 > Defenders > Luke Cage S1 > Iron Fist S1

I never finished Jessica Jones S2. I got bored half-way through, but I should push through that. I'm not sure if I want to invest the time in season two of Luke Cage and Iron Fist, though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Iron Fist season 2 was better than season one but still not good. it was soooooo boring. The last episode was really good and what they set up for the third season was REALLY compelling to me. But alas we won't see it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I have to say its amazing that Marvel's best live action villain isnt even part of the cinematic universe. Daredevil is just quality that cant be matched by their cookie cutter movie counterpart. I am not done with this season yet, but holy shit is this show just amazing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Falcon & Winter Soldier TV Series in Development for Disney Streaming Service

This sounds even better than the Loki & Scarlet Witch shows!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    If they capture the vibe of the car scene it's going to be awesome.

Last edited by allegate; 10-31-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    - the prison fight/escape scene in this season's DD episode 4

- Deborah Ann Woll at the college party at the beginning of episode 10

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    - Deborah Ann Woll at the college party at the beginning of episode 10
    If you haven't watched the first season of True Blood... well... yeah, go do that.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    If you haven't watched the first season of True Blood... well... yeah, go do that.
    And then stop after that because that show just get worse after each season.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    And then stop after that because that show just get worse after each season.
    And to tie it back into Marvel, the amount of times I pause "The Gifted" series to say "Sookie..." in that Bill voice to mock the scene happens a lot.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by neorev; 11-12-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Oh I did. I remember her moments from there too. And I stopped after Season 2 like everyone else that recognized the showing was going downhill fast.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I didn't want to seem disrespectful in the RIP thread so I'm putting this here.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I didn't want to seem disrespectful in the RIP thread so I'm putting this here.

What was it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Huh, the image was deleted from imgur.

It was a picture that said, "when you go to Stan Lee's funeral, make sure you stay after the credits start" or something like that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Well, Netflix cancelled Daredevil. Jessica Jones and Punisher are as good as dead too, once their third and second seasons (respectively) are out. This fucking sucks. Netflix must be pretty fucking butthurt that Disney is launching their own streaming service.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Think Disney paid Netflix some coin to cancel their Marvel shows? Something is up

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Well, Netflix cancelled Daredevil. Jessica Jones and Punisher are as good as dead too, once their third and second seasons (respectively) are out. This fucking sucks. Netflix must be pretty fucking butthurt that Disney is launching their own streaming service.
    Oh what the fuck!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm not that bothered with the end of these Marvel shows as Netflix has plenty of better shows

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    These shows were killed first by being steered into the ground, by repeatedly ignoring problems about length and structure. This is a sad euthanization, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    These shows were killed first by being steered into the ground, by repeatedly ignoring problems about length and structure. This is a sad euthanization, unfortunately.
    I'd agree with you if we were talking about Iron Fist or Luke Cage, but Daredevil is by far the best of the bunch and has been consistently great. Defenders was pretty lacking, but Daredevil was the best part of that, too.