Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Walled Off Hotel (2017)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Walled Off Hotel (2017)

http://walledoffhotel.com/index.html

First track from that Banksy project has appeared on the internet.

Direct link to track:http://walledoffhotel.com/media/green-lines.mp3

There are tags and art in the mp3. It's listed as track 8 of 11. Hopefully we get a whole album of TR+AR and not a compilation.

Track art:

I fucking LOVE this track! It sounds like two people playing one piano.
    Last edited by NIN64; 05-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    why is this not front & center on nin.com?!

BTF & PD were fine, but this right here...

beautiful yet menacing... imo, a groin kick to all the 'Westworld' soundtrack fanfare (not that it's undeserving)... "sure, you can make pop music sound cool on a player piano, but check this out..."

they could've turned this into an infinite loop easily...

wishful thinking = more to come...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wow, that's beautiful -- every time I start to think I'm tired of soundtracks from them they go and they make something else that I really love and I have to take it all back.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Is anyone else having trouble downloading the file? I just opened it and it's not playing in iTunes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's really childlike at the beginning, almost like he used the sounds his kid made while playing around on the piano and built from there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    These guys are always so on point with their music. I can only hope that they continue making music (in any form) for years to come.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Man, they went full Alexandre Desplat with this one. I'd watch a whole movie with a soundtrack of nothing but TR&AR-programmed player pianos. Like, I don't know, a surreal indie rom-com-drama. Or an animated surreal indie rom-com-drama. A sequel to Anomalisa, perhaps?

EDIT: I was thinking about Wes Anderson when I made the Desplat reference, and, holy crap, I just found out that he is indeed making a stop-motion film, just like Anomalisa. TR&AR helped me predict the future. Thanks, TR&AR. You're cool.
    Last edited by wizfan; 05-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    the song was just posted on Null Corp youtube channel:

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross are ‘performing’ nightly at Bansky’s Walled Off Hotel in Bethlehem for the next several weeks. ‘Green Lines’ is a new song written specifically for the player piano in the hotel. If you’re staying there or in the neighborhood, stop by for a drink. http://walledoffhotel.com

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    At least Trent didn't make another new nullco account for this song like he did with A Minute to Breathe.

Is this the only thing they've written for this thing? (If anyone knows that.) It's really lovely to listen to and it would be cool to hear more like it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    My friend Iris was at a wedding in Tel Aviv last week and told me she stopped by the hotel a few nights ago for drinks. She's not a huge NIN fan, but she told me the piano played for "about forty five minutes or an hour". I've been sending her a shit ton of NIN to see if anything sounds familiar, but she's "not sure if any of that stuff was played". Whether it's all new or she's just awful at this, I have no idea.
    She also said the music was "spooky".

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Oh man

The absurdist hardcore NIN nerd in me seriously wants to book a whimsical, week-long vacation to Bethlehem, where all I do is sit at the bar of this hotel listening to the piano and contemplating the next phase of my life over fine scotch..

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    So.... I'll ask again : what's the source of this

EDIT : Ok i found it
    Last edited by ninjaw; 05-09-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    My friend Iris was at a wedding in Tel Aviv last week and told me she stopped by the hotel a few nights ago for drinks. She's not a huge NIN fan, but she told me the piano played for "about forty five minutes or an hour". I've been sending her a shit ton of NIN to see if anything sounds familiar, but she's "not sure if any of that stuff was played". Whether it's all new or she's just awful at this, I have no idea.
    She also said the music was "spooky".
    There's an interesting note on nin.com : TRENT AND ATTICUS ARE “PERFORMING” NIGHTLY AT BANKSY’S WALLED OFF HOTEL IN BETHLEHEM FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS. THE DUO HAVE CREATED ARRANGEMENTS OF NEW AND OLD MATERIAL SPECIFICALLY TO BE PLAYED VIA THE PLAYER PIANO IN THE LOUNGE OF THE HOTEL NIGHTLY AT 8PM. IF YOU’RE STAYING THERE OR IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD, STOP BY FOR A DRINK.

Last edited by ninjaw; 05-09-2017 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Oh it's new, here's the full note

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That image is incredible!

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Who want a MID of that ? Lift your hand.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Those don't look like they're officially licensed. Pretty sure that's just someone selling low quality prints from a photograph. Probably not even one they took themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why has nobody yet gone there and recorded the rest?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    Why has nobody yet gone there and recorded the rest?
    You know how hard it is to get to Palestine?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    a bit off topic, but rumours are intensifying that the artist behind Banksy might be Robert Del Naja, founding member of Massive Attack.

I know this isn't the first time that someone claims to know Banksy's identity, but there are quite a few signs that point to Del Naja. This doesn't prove anything in the end but I personally really like the idea of a possible connection between Banksy and Massive Attack, which could explain why Massive Attack were supposed to play at Dismaland (but they didn't) and why TR, Hans Zimmer and other musicians were asked to play at the Walled Off Hotel as they probably know each other anyway

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    a bit off topic, but rumours are intensifying that the artist behind Banksy might be Robert Del Naja, founding member of Massive Attack.

I know this isn't the first time that someone claims to know Banksy's identity, but there are quite a few signs that point to Del Naja. This doesn't prove anything in the end but I personally really like the idea of a possible connection between Banksy and Massive Attack, which could explain why Massive Attack were supposed to play at Dismaland (but they didn't) and why TR, Hans Zimmer and other musicians were asked to play at the Walled Off Hotel as they probably know each other anyway
    Basically this is an old theorie just relaunched by DJ Goldie

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    haven't been able to stop listening to "green-lines", especially if i put it on in the car and it just repeats. so lovely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Long shot, but is there a rip of this floating around at about 96kbps or whatever it is on the site?

I mean, it's listenable at that bitrate considering that it's just a piano but I wanna hear all those little transients and note interactions!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Long shot, but is there a rip of this floating around at about 96kbps or whatever it is on the site?

I mean, it's listenable at that bitrate considering that it's just a piano but I wanna hear all those little transients and note interactions!
    The NullCo version is 128 variable AAC @ 44.1kHz (Original; obviously there's other quality options on YouTube)

The website version is V5 (about 78 max) MP3 @ 48kHz. It also contains Album/Track/Artist metadata, as well as embedded artwork. You can access/download directly here:

http://walledoffhotel.com/media/green-lines.mp3

Last edited by Jon; 06-27-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: didn't realize most of this had been posted already, sorry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting, thanks duder!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Well, holy shit... it just sunk in.

"Green Lines" is "In Motion" in piano sonata form.
    Added here:

http://www.nin.wiki/Green_Lines

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love you Jon.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Will this project ever see the light of day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found 2 videos with the piano:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Extracting the original audio (with metadata) from the "Green Lines" video posted on the Null Corp channel gives an interesting result:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Extracting the original audio (with metadata) from the "Green Lines" video posted on the Null Corp channel gives an interesting result:

wait, does it mean that the output file you get when exporting a video still maintains all the metadata in the audio channel? I didn't know that... So what happens if there are two audio tracks in the same timeline/export?

Sorry for being a bit off topic. Nice find!