Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Looks like a great new HBO show but feels like I'm watching an idea built around the OReilly "fuck it we'll do it live!" Inside Edition tantrum

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Why? Do you know anything particular that dooms it? It could be good. It's a solid story, it all depends on how it will be treated. Shirley we can hope?
    so unnecessary... the original film version pretty much nailed it perfectly, and is one of the more faithful adaptations i've ever seen. why fuck with it?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Never liked any of the recent movies or the spin-offs but I've always enjoyed the Karloff film.

Obviously it'll probably hew closer to what they've done recently considering how much money those films have made, but considering they're rebooting it instead of just continuing with lame sequels and spin-offs I think it has a lot of potential.

Especially with one of the writers of Prometheus attached.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic and hopeful about this one for now.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oh fuck me... does everything good need to be restarted and turned into a shadow of its former self? What's next, Arrested Development: The Next Generation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    What's next, Arrested Development: The Next Generation?
    Isn't that almost already happening?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Cannot fucking wait.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Scrolling from the bottom of the page, I was like "...Snatch....Fucking Snatch 2 or something???...No...WHAT???" That looks awesome.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Too bad Dennis Hopper isn't alive. If he was, I totally have a feeling he'd be in it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tucked into a story at The Economist about James Cameron working with China on his Avatar sequels, there's this:
    From the article:
    Mr Cameron suggests that by the time “Avatar 3” is released later this decade, China may well rival America as the top movie market. That may be a stretch, but then just wait till “Avatar 4”; Mr Cameron calls it a possibility. He says he has stopped producing non-Avatar films or even considering non-Avatar scripts. “I’m in the Avatar business. Period, that’s it. I’m making ‘Avatar 2’, ‘Avatar 3’, maybe ‘Avatar 4’,” he says. “I think that within the Avatar landscape, I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what we should be doing about it.”
    ...which I think is kind of weaksauce, but okay, I can see where he's coming from, and while I didn't like Avatar the guy's at least doing something very near and dear to his heart trying to make this a better world, somehow, and as long as he's pumping money into cool expensive things like private space ventures, I don't even mind his treatment of the artform as shiny commercial product for the generation of huge amounts of wealth. But I hope that if he's serious about the "state of the world and what we should be doing about it" stuff he'll at least try plotting the sequels in something stronger than primitive and shallow caricatures.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 04-25-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First picture of Johnny Depp as Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger' revealed. Apparently he likes crows on his head.
    http://www.chud.com/90903/oh-so-that...e-ranger-look/

“I’d actually seen a painting by an artist named Kirby Sattler, and looked at the face of this warrior and thought: That’s it… The stripes down the face and across the eyes … it seemed to me like you could almost see the separate sections of the individual, if you know what I mean… There’s this very wise quarter, a very tortured and hurt section, an angry and rageful section, and a very understanding and unique side. I saw these parts, almost like dissecting a brain, these slivers of the individual… It just so happened Sattler had painted a bird flying directly behind the warrior’s head. It looked to me like it was sitting on top. I thought: Tonto’s got a bird on his head. It’s his spirit guide in a way. It’s dead to others, but it’s not dead to him. It’s very much alive.”

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    May the 4th be with you

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    Tucked into a story at The Economist about James Cameron working with China on his Avatar sequels, there's this:

...which I think is kind of weaksauce, but okay, I can see where he's coming from, and while I didn't like Avatar the guy's at least doing something very near and dear to his heart trying to make this a better world, somehow, and as long as he's pumping money into cool expensive things like private space ventures, I don't even mind his treatment of the artform as shiny commercial product for the generation of huge amounts of wealth. But I hope that if he's serious about the "state of the world and what we should be doing about it" stuff he'll at least try plotting the sequels in something stronger than primitive and shallow caricatures.

My chinese teacher told me that Avatar was such a big hit in China because people could identify with the Na'vi because of the forced relocation aspect.

In other news, The Avengers has the biggest US opening weekend ever, it surpasses Harry Potter by more than $30 million.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post

In other news, The Avengers has the biggest US opening weekend ever, it surpasses Harry Potter by more than $30 million.
    I just saw this bit of news. What I find scary about this is that I remember the time not long ago (in the 90s) when having an opening weekend of 40-50 millions was huge and when breaking the $100 millions in the USA alone was considered a big hit.

This is madness.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I remember when the second Pirates movie came out (I think it was the second one) and it made about 130 million on its opening weekend, which was the record at the time, if I'm not mistaken. And I remember being just completely blown away by that. That was unheard of. Then The Dark Knight came out and just smashed that record, and now here we are at 200 million. That's unbelievable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    That's unbelievable.
    You know what's also unbelievable? Ticket prices. Holy shit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'll go you one better. If candy prices used movie theaters as the standard, there wouldn't be an obesity epidemic in America today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Theaters use the high markup on their food to stay open.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Official spoiler rules - from College Humor.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Official spoiler rules - from College Humor.

This needs to be spread far and wide. I'm also going to cross-post it in the spoilers thread at the top!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    First trailer for Argo, the new Ben Affleck movie:

It's about how the Canadians helped getting 6 U.S. diplomats out of Iran in 1980, right in the middle of the hostage crisis. I can't wait to see this movie for the following reasons:

1) It's based on a true story and I really like those.
    2) Because I'm very old, I actually remember when this happened. I remember how proud it made me feel about being Canadian because they were saying on the news that we did something that was really extremely badass.
    3) I can't wait to see if Affleck and his writers/producers have spin this as being "the CIA did all the work and oh yeah, the Canadians did a couple of things here and there too". The highly cynical part of my brain is convinced that's how the movie will go.

We'll see!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Jesus this looks awesome

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    About fuckin' time!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    YES PLEASE.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Please, let this be good. Frank Miller needs to redeem himself after the debacle that was The Spirit. One of the worst films I had ever seen.