Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Interpol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Every Interpol record took a while to grow, so I think it's going to be the same with Marauder. If You Really Love Nothing is a fantastic opener, Stay in Touch is great, and Flight of Fancy is a good track too. The slightly scruffy production's a pretty nice switchup from El Pintor, but apart from that, most of these songs feel empty instrumentally (where's the layers and keyboards/synths?) and a bit half-baked. It seems like the band doesn't want to experiment anymore like they did with S/T. They've already made a back to basics rock album, and that was El Pintor... so why write another record in the same vein with different production? I'll keep listening to it though, my thoughts on it might change after more listens.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Our Love To Admire needs to start being talked about as being one of their best/if not their best album not named Turn On The Bright Lights

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That's Antics for me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Our Love To Admire needs to start being talked about as being one of their best/if not their best album not named Turn On The Bright Lights
    it has always been my favorite. i liked interpol from their inception, basically (i remember arguing with a friend about how they weren't a joy division ripoff band when turn on the bright lights came out), but our love to admire is miles above anything else they've done. it has the best album artwork, one of the best album openers of all time (by anyone), and the emotional reaction i have to the whole thing is so intense. there's not a bad song on it.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    New album is better than "El Pintor", but not by much, i think this band has said all it had to...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just bought the 10th anniversary repressing vinyl edition of that this past week!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    New album is better than "El Pintor", but not by much, i think this band has said all it had to...
    I can't.

I appreciate El Pintor quite a bit (always did, also it's personal for me), and I've actually tried with Marauder...

This new album is full of "Everything Is Wrong" and "Malfeasance" class songs... Altogether it virtually holds no staying power. Also, it tends to sound the most like Paul's solo material out of any newer Interpol. This isn't good for me. Maybe it's my attention span, the mixing, and/or my need for some fucking hooks, but the well is dry.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-03-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hate to say it, but it's Interpol's first misstep imo. I thought we were gonna hear some crazy, psychedelic synth-filled stuff when I heard Dave Fridmann was producing, but it seems even he can't encourage the band to step outside their comfort zone.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    I can't.

I appreciate El Pintor quite a bit (always did, also it's personal for me), and I've actually tried with Marauder...

This new album is full of "Everything Is Wrong" and "Malfeasance" class songs... Altogether it virtually holds no staying power. Also, it tends to sound the most like Paul's solo material out of any newer Interpol. This isn't good for me. Maybe it's my attention span, the mixing, and/or my need for some fucking hooks, but the well is dry.
    I think even Paul's solo albums (specially "Banks") sound better and are more interesting than "Marauder".

The band recorded two classic albums and then great songs, but on every release they sound more and more uninspired and they are becoming repetitive;at least Paul experimented a lot in "Banks".
    The new album does nothing for me; i felt the same way about "El Pintor", i wanted to like that album so bad (and i loved "All the way back home"), but i ended up indifferent towards it, "Marauder" sounds to me like another "meh" release by them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Saw the band last night at the Sydney Opera House, and it was a brilliant gig! Pioneer to the Falls right into C'mere to kick off the show was awesome, and The New was amazing. The atmosphere was a bit subdued because of the seating in the concert hall, but once they started Slow Hands, everyone stood up, which was nice! Nothing more annoying than when you're stuck in a seat and all you wanna do is get up and groove hahaha. The Marauder tracks sounded sweet too, especially Complications.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Saw the band last night at the Sydney Opera House, and it was a brilliant gig! Pioneer to the Falls right into C'mere to kick off the show was awesome, and The New was amazing. The atmosphere was a bit subdued because of the seating in the concert hall, but once they started Slow Hands, everyone stood up, which was nice! Nothing more annoying than when you're stuck in a seat and all you wanna do is get up and groove hahaha. The Marauder tracks sounded sweet too, especially Complications.
    pioneer to the falls will always be my #1 interpol song, and is in my top 10 album openers of all time. it is just so. fucking. good. i just got goosebumps thinking about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sam played the shit of it on stage. He is such an awesome drummer, it sounded so good when it kicked in! His drums were high up in the mix for the gig as well, so you could hear all these cool little subtle parts he was playing. Seeing Daniel play guitar and dart around was great too!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I miss Carlos

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New song 'Fine Mess'. I think it's dope...gettin' me fired up for the show tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yep it's a good song.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    solid song. As was the first song released from this album. And that's from a non-fan. Their early material was a Joy Division ripoff so I've dismissed them out of hand ever since. Looks like I was wrong!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really cool track! Dig those synths that pop up towards the end.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Awesome song......Feels like 2004 Interpol again

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Apparently this week they announced a show for KC happening in May, and fuck - this is the FIFTH concert announced in the past week that I want tickets for. Gah damn. It's like the universe is trying to stop me from saving money for potential NIN/NIN-related shit this year. Loving the new track, too! Gonna be hard to decide.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Anyone have a download link for the 2002 Black Sessions (the full 12 song version with 'say hello to the angels' and 'leif erickson')..I only have the 10 song version. Apparently those other 2 were also broadcast

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone have a download link for the 2002 Black Sessions (the full 12 song version with 'say hello to the angels' and 'leif erickson')..I only have the 10 song version. Apparently those other 2 were also broadcast
    not sure where u got the 10 songs version or where you can find the 12 one but there is currently a discography torrent on RUT that has the black ep, it apparently includes leif, no angels tho.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Though I think it's maybe a bit late, Paul should at least switch to vaping... I boot up recent live performances on YouTube, and, to me, his voice sure seems doomed.

And unfortunately this new EP isn't winning me over whatsoever so far. I think the mixing is atrocious, just like Marauder's was.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Mixing is awful but I dig the new songs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pricing is awful too, $10+ for 5 songs ep on cd???

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I can't tell if I like the songs because the mixing is that awful.

This band needs to wake up a good bit already. They keep losing more and more of their charm.

Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Pricing is awful too, $10+ for 5 songs ep on cd???
    I'm not sure I agree with you there... I mean, if we want to figure $1 per song, with 5 songs total here, I think an additional $5 is worth the CD/artwork in your hands.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with you there... I mean, if we want to figure $1 per song, with 5 songs total here, I think an additional $5 is worth the CD/artwork in your hands.
    You are not wrong if the packaging is good, which isn't always a safe bet with matador, they can go the very cheap/basic route (qotsa for instance), and to me a 5 songs EP should stay in the 5.99/7.99 range, i'll wait for a decent used copy...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The band is working on their new record with Flood and Alan Moulder!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/inter...london-3055865

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Excellent video with a solid track. We're getting spoiled after the last two years.