Page 143 of 195 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 145 153 193 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 5833

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Help? (I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this)
    I have one of those unadjustable weight turntables @MrLobster warned you about. Solid warning and I hope to upgrade soon. On the speaker front, I just got a pair of Edifier bookshelf speakers that are also Bluetooth and whatever else you could need. They're obviously not top of the line but, for $100, they'll probably serve you just fine.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quick question: You say that you're playing tt direct into the soundbar - does the tt have a built in phonostage? If not, then that would go some way to explaining why it sounds bad.

If you don't get a tt with a built in phonostage then you'll need to factor that into your budget (better tables tend not to have them built in).

I'd avoid the Crosley - it won't help you preserve those nice records that you'll be spending your money on, since the stylus is set to weigh very heavily in the groove and can't be changed, and the tonearm geometry is such that the stylus alignment will be more off than it should be, so won't sound great.

As for alternatives, with your budget I'd recommend going vintage/secondhand - your $250 will go a lot further this way.

edit

As an example, something like the Technics SL-1500 would do a fine job.
    Last edited by Tom; 06-19-2019 at 05:39 PM.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I need some help. My girlfriend and I are playing our records on a pretty cheap record player straight up through a $50 soundbar designed for low end TVs. It well, plays the music but not great.

I'm looking to get her a nicer record player with a nicer speaker setup but I'm not trying to completely drain my bank account either. Are there any possible recommendations that you could provide that's within the $250 (+ or - $25) range? I don't mind buying separate and setting things up myself - looks are sort of important and I was looking at this but I'm so green in this space I'm not sure what I'm even looking at.

Help? (I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this)
    Avoid Crosley like the plague. They'll damage your records. I've had an Orbit from U-Turn Audio for about 4 or 5 years now and am very happy with it. A few reviews:
    https://www.cnet.com/reviews/u-turn-...ntable-review/
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/...-video-review/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I... want to go to there.

No, I lie.

I want to live there.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

I... want to go to there.

No, I lie.

I want to live there.
    No talking policy? Fuck yeah sign me up!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    x-post from the JD/NO thread, sorta

new 40th anniversary re-issue in reverse-colour sleeve, next to my 2007-ish regular reissue

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Quick question: You say that you're playing tt direct into the soundbar - does the tt have a built in phonostage? If not, then that would go some way to explaining why it sounds bad.

If you don't get a tt with a built in phonostage then you'll need to factor that into your budget (better tables tend not to have them built in).

I'd avoid the Crosley - it won't help you preserve those nice records that you'll be spending your money on, since the stylus is set to weigh very heavily in the groove and can't be changed, and the tonearm geometry is such that the stylus alignment will be more off than it should be, so won't sound great.

As for alternatives, with your budget I'd recommend going vintage/secondhand - your $250 will go a lot further this way.

edit

As an example, something like the Technics SL-1500 would do a fine job.
    THIS is what we're currently using, reviews seem good but I don't think any of it's components are upgradable.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    THIS is what we're currently using, reviews seem good but I don't think any of it's components are upgradable.
    Cool. Looking at the specs, it has a switchable phono stage built in, so as long as you're running it with 'phono eq' switched on then you're doing it right. At 3.5 (grams, I hope) the tracking force is a little heavy, but still half what you'd get with a Crosley.
    Yes, doesn't look like you can upgrade the stylus or anything. One option though would be to try the table with an external phono stage - I'd wager that even a relatively modest standalone unit would outperform the one in the table itself. Else, a different table would be the way to go - you could certainly get something perfectly decent within your budget.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Cool. Looking at the specs, it has a switchable phono stage built in, so as long as you're running it with 'phono eq' switched on then you're doing it right. At 3.5 (grams, I hope) the tracking force is a little heavy, but still half what you'd get with a Crosley.
    Yes, doesn't look like you can upgrade the stylus or anything. One option though would be to try the table with an external phono stage - I'd wager that even a relatively modest standalone unit would outperform the one in the table itself. Else, a different table would be the way to go - you could certainly get something perfectly decent within your budget.
    That's actually super interesting, So at this point it may be a better idea to get an external phono stage and just some upgraded speakers? I don't mind keeping the turntable if it's totally fine, I just thought it was a cuter idea to pick up a brand new player. The GF and I usually spend our evenings with the TV off putting together crossword puzzles together with a record playing and I just want the best experience possible without spending $500 haha
    Last edited by tony.parente; 06-20-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My advice would be to try it: A new phonostage could well make for a nice improvement, and if you decide further down the line that you'd like a better table, then you'll already have that side of things covered. There'd probably be little point in spending too much, since the turntable itself is still going to be a bottleneck, but then again if you think you'll get a better table at some point then no harm in investing a bit in the future. Here's a primer:

https://thevinylfactory.com/features...our-turntable/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    That's actually super interesting, So at this point it may be a better idea to get an external phono stage and just some upgraded speakers? I don't mind keeping the turntable if it's totally fine, I just thought it was a cuter idea to pick up a brand new player. The GF and I usually spend our evenings with the TV off putting together crossword puzzles together with a record playing and I just want the best experience possible without spending $500 haha
    1) i am crying, that is so cute. i am so glad you've found a great partner <3
    2) here's the phono pre-amp i have (which i adore) there are a lot that are cheaper and a lot that are WAY more expensive so i went for middle of the road and i'm very happy with the result
    3) if you want to get a new turntable, i'd recommend this audio technica as a good entry point. it's in your price range, you can upgrade the cartridge later if you want, and it has a built-in phono pre-amp (which is honestly fine if you're just doing casual listening). it's also "automatic" which means if the side ends and you're in the middle of looking for where that puzzle piece goes, it'll stop itself and return the arm to its rest so you don't have to jump up and flip a switch

what soundbar are you using?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Thought some folks here might appreciate my delight in finally picking up a wet-vacuum record cleaning machine - wanted one for years, and got a really good deal on this one secondhand. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73j3y19c5w...65124.jpg?dl=0

Starting with the important stuff

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Just listened to my OG With Teeth vinyl (which I guess isn’t OG because it’s the only version out still) and when the crowd comes in during Right Where It Belongs it still gets me every. single. time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    Just listened to my OG With Teeth vinyl (which I guess isn’t OG because it’s the only version out still) and when the crowd comes in during Right Where It Belongs it still gets me every. single. time.

Don't rub it in. When is that goddamn repress coming???

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Don't rub it in. When is that goddamn repress coming???

No idea! The sites said “coming soon” for what seems like forever now. I have other OGs including Year Zero so I was mostly excited for Quake. Ready to spend my money any day!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Chance the Rapper is releasing all three of his mixtapes on vinyl:

Man, those look good, 10 Day especially. Gonna be months until they ship, though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Continuing my QOTSA streak of late:

Yes it's a bootleg, but you'd never know if you didn't know what to look for.

Also finally upgraded this bad boy. The old one was my mom's. I grabbed it when I first got a turntable, but it was so beat up I never even attempted to play it. The new 2019 mix is magnificent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Continuing my QOTSA streak of late:

Yes it's a bootleg, but you'd never know if you didn't know what to look for.
    That is the last one I need to complete my QoTSA run too. How does it sound? I saw one on ebay and was like "Damn, it is close enough..." Does is have Bloody Hammer as the last song?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    That is the last one I need to complete my QoTSA run too. How does it sound? I saw one on ebay and was like "Damn, it is close enough..." Does is have Bloody Hammer as the last song?
    I'm positive I have some legitimate pressings in my collection that sound worse than this. One mildly irritating thing is you can tell it was sourced from a cd, because the end of one track fades into another, but the fade was split between 2 sides. Other than that though, it's pretty damn solid.

I got it from here if you're interested. And yes, it has Bloody Hammer.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post

Sounds divine. I'm trying to decide if I want to shell out 1-200 bucks for originals of WT and YZ or wait. I'm not a massive collector or an audiophile looking for the newest, bestest pressing, which means I don't need two copies of a record. Now, I'd rather have the DE's because the artwork and write-ups in Broken/TDS/The Fragile are awesome and well-done but honestly - I just wanna play them! So if it's gonna be a bit (a year or more) then I am willing to bite the bullet and buy some now.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Sounds divine. I'm trying to decide if I want to shell out 1-200 bucks for originals of WT and YZ or wait. I'm not a massive collector or an audiophile looking for the newest, bestest pressing, which means I don't need two copies of a record. Now, I'd rather have the DE's because the artwork and write-ups in Broken/TDS/The Fragile are awesome and well-done but honestly - I just wanna play them! So if it's gonna be a bit (a year or more) then I am willing to bite the bullet and buy some now.
    I purchased my WT many years ago around 2008 or 2009 for (if I remember correctly) 60$. Well worth it seeing as it’s shot yo quite a bit.

I purchased my YZ about three or four years ago for 80$ which I also thought was a good price.

Both from eBay. I’d say, if you find them for a good price, go for it. If you can’t find them for less than $$150, maybe just be best to wait. If you can, I’d jump on it but that’s me personally.

I just bought an OG pressing of Superunknown today on blue vinyl. Paid 130. Thought it was a very reasonable price.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

full of hell • weeping choir
    750 copies on clear with white smoke & black splatter

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Drab Majesty - Modern Mirror [Clear Blue 45rpm 2LP limited to 700]

Haven't looked forward to a new album this much in a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just pre-ordered Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album on purple vinyl. Now I just need Supernature and Seventh tree..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post
    I just pre-ordered Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album on purple vinyl. Now I just need Supernature and Seventh tree..
    I am going to grab this as well, def on my list. You are 100% correct that a release of Supernature and Seventh Tree are needed. Was going to order Goldfrapp this morning, then I saw a red colored version of NWA's Straight Outta Compton that needs to be in my collection/life. NWA was my Marilyn Manson before Marilyn Manson... if that makes any sense. Anyway, sign up for their e-mail notifications and get 20% off your order. Basically made the shipping cost like 79 cents.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/coll...compton-red-lp

Other Records I picked up recently:

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain - VMP brown colored vinyl (bar none one of the ugliest colored records I have), but sounds great.
    3Teeth - Metawar - Red Smoked
    Black Keys - Let's Rock - Pink
    Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger - Vault Version Green

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Black Cherry has aged well

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

coil • swanyard
    3xLP in double-gatefold sleeve

drab majesty • modern mirror
    2x12" 45rpm on clear limited to 1200 copies

full of hell • weeping choir
    12" 45rpm on clear w/white smoke & black splatter, limited to 750 copies

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Just refreshed my small display shelf - seemed appropriate to post here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evic7hlgkg...81%29.JPG?dl=0

Not actually the most visually pleasing set of covers, but still I like it.