Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Mogwai

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The "live" "stream" was a lot of fun. The new songs sound amazing and the band is top notch -- they just keep getting better and better as they go. A couple goosebump/tears in eyes moments but to no surprise as their music always hits me.

Luckily, I was able to grab a download of the show since they put it on YouTube. Funny thing is, all of the info leading up to this has sounded very strict (ie. can only rewind an hour after stream starts, no plans for a DVD, ticket purchase deadline, breaking it up into 3 different "premiere" times although all are viewable etc...)

But... its just an unlisted video on YouTube :shrug:

I paid the $15 and do not regret but shocked they didn't go a better route to ensure it wasn't sharable. Or maybe it was all just a troll to see who would pay for something readily available.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It was an amazing performance, thanks for posting!

I'm so happy this band keeps maturing, the new songs are indeed great!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    They finally made it private haha -- glad I got a 1080p download of it. Ha.

Now just need this album to leak already - the TRL boxset is delayed until April - which is fine but hoping drips soon.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Shocked this hasn't leaked yet. Comes out Friday. :shrug:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    It's def. leaked. saw it on GetMetalClub. PM me if you need more than that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Oh I got it yesterday -- but its out now officially. I also got the email from Temp. Res and they provided the demo bonus tracks as well that comes on the vinyl and CD box sets which is cool.

Love the album. Fuck Off Money and Its What I Want to Do Mum being my favorites.

Highlights are Midnight Flit (feat. Atticus Ross) and Pat Stains.

I will say...I kinda wish the live stream happened AFTER the album came out -- I listened to the live versions all week and as usual with live versions, they carry a different weight than the live album (for good and bad) -- but there are some elements that make the live versions of a couple songs that sound better than the album. (ie. To The Bin, Here We and Fuck Off Money)

That being said the album is great and definitely falls in line as a sequel to Every Country's Sun.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I liked it more than "Every Country's Sun", not sure were to rate it, but it's a great listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's their best album since The Hawk is Howling, and i love Rave and Hardcore. Every Country's Sun is great but it feels like they were readjusting from John Cummings leaving.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just giving As The Love Continues a run through now. It's okay! To be honest I'd not thought a great deal of the 'singles', but I've bought a digital copy on the strength of the UK chart position excitement (mid-week Number 1!). Plus, it's had really good reviews. I think Hardcore was the last record of theirs I really loved, but their still one of the best bands going. @Reznor2112 - I kind of know what you mean about the live thing. I didn't hear the stream, but I only really got into the last LP *after* living with the live versons for a while.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Its What I Want to Do Mum" has to be the best track!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So I've never listened to this band before...where should one start?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Ten Rapid is a good starting point.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i actually think "hardcore will never die, but you will" is a great starting point. it's also probably my favorite of their albums.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Don't listen to these people! haha

Young Team, Young Team, Young Team

But really, you can't go wrong with any of these. It also depends on what type of sound you're looking for as it kind of shifts from album to album.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Is the newest comp “central belters” not a good starting point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's been a lot of different answers, but I would recommend starting with Mr. Beast or The Hawk is Howling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Is the newest comp “central belters” not a good starting point?
    It's a great selection of songs, but I think it has some tonal shifts that can be a bit jarring.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Mogwai (1 of my faves) is giving away (or pay what you want) a new live record recorded on their last tour. Info & link below:

https://www.sunburnsout.com/mogwai-m...fete-au-covid/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Mogwai (1 of my faves) is giving away (or pay what you want) a new live record recorded on their last tour. Info & link below:

https://www.sunburnsout.com/mogwai-m...fete-au-covid/
    I miss live shows, but mostly the live shows from these guys, damn!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I miss live shows, but mostly the live shows from these guys, damn!
    I'm listening to the record now. It's excellent! I saw a great show by them at the Hard Rock in Vegas. The one on the strip. They have a great music room on the top floor that doesn't get used much. Anyway, I needed ADA seating. They brought me backstage & had me sit on a couch that was basically onstage off to the side. & a waitress would come by often to make sure I didn't need anything. The show was fantastic!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I'm listening to the record now. It's excellent! I saw a great show by them at the Hard Rock in Vegas. The one on the strip. They have a great music room on the top floor that doesn't get used much. Anyway, I needed ADA seating. They brought me backstage & had me sit on a couch that was basically onstage off to the side. & a waitress would come by often to make sure I didn't need anything. The show was fantastic!
    Funny, this reminds me to the last time i saw NIN Live, they played in this small theatre, the second floor has a bar, my tickets were there, so i enjoyed NIN with a nice wine and coke, fitting for my age, lol!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ‘Mogwai: e.p. x 3’ boxset out next month.

A post shared by on

Edit:
    Last edited by Soma; 10-13-2021 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Sucks there is no US distro. Will still probably shell out the $70 to get it though.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    ‘Mogwai: e.p. x 3’ boxset out next month.
    One of my favorite releases by them, just for the cover art is worth it!

Also, i found out this week they are coming back to my town on a festival date *sigh*.

Loved "As the Love Continues", so i want to see them for a fifth time, i just wish it was at a "solo date" and not a huge festival with audience that doesn't care, anyway...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-13-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Sucks there is no US distro. Will still probably shell out the $70 to get it though.
    Looks like a couple shops in KC are getting it, I pre-ordered through Mills Record Company:
    https://millsrecordcompany.com/UPC/5024545823417

Might be able to nab one from a shop closer to you:
    https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/5024545823417

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    Looks like a couple shops in KC are getting it, I pre-ordered through Mills Record Company:
    https://millsrecordcompany.com/UPC/5024545823417

Might be able to nab one from a shop closer to you:
    https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/5024545823417
    Just came here to retract my statement haha -- used the RSD site and looks like its getting some pretty good distro in the US. Was able to pre-order through my local shop here in FL for $47.

Although, now I am a bit nervous as it looks like every site in the UK and EU... the pre-orders are sold out. So wonder if each store had a limit or not and if my shop pre-order will even go through.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 10-15-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Mogwai are coming to town in the spring & of course are on the same night as 1 of my all time favorite bands, the Hoodoo Gurus. Gurus are playing a tiny bar & who knows if I'll get the chance to see them again. It's their 40th anniversary tour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of my favorite releases by them, just for the cover art is worth it!

Also, i found out this week they are coming back to my town on a festival date *sigh*.

Loved "As the Love Continues", so i want to see them for a fifth time, i just wish it was at a "solo date" and not a huge festival with audience that doesn't care, anyway...
    Pinche Vive Latino

As the Love Continues is an enormous record, it has so much going on. Any idea on how to find the live performance?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erre View Post
    Pinche Vive Latino

As the Love Continues is an enormous record, it has so much going on. Any idea on how to find the live performance?
    Nothing against Vive Latino (after all, they had NIN in their lineup at some point...), but Mogwai it's the kind of band i rather watch in a small club at night and not in a huge festival in daylight (i don't think they will headline), with people waiting on their set because they want to watch the next band and not them, and probably they won't play a "solo" date, so that's my only option to catch them on this tour...

Got no idea where to find the live performance, but if you find it let me know, i would love to watch it again...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Nothing against Vive Latino (after all, they had NIN in their lineup at some point...), but Mogwai it's the kind of band i rather watch in a small club at night and not in a huge festival in daylight (i don't think they will headline), with people waiting on their set because they want to watch the next band and not them, and probably they won't play a "solo" date, so that's my only option to catch them on this tour...

Got no idea where to find the live performance, but if you find it let me know, i would love to watch it again...
    They allow shows to be posted on archive.org but last time I checked there was nothing post pandemic on there.