Page 124 of 156 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 4656

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    My streaming services are almost exclusively for my daughter. She's 4, and streaming is a lot easier than buying stacks and stacks of dvd's she'll grow out of. What irritates me the most is when she gets really into a show or a movie and within a few months, the service pulls the show. I've had to go back to pirating shows that i had been streaming legit.
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ever thought about hitting up the local library for those shows instead of pirating? I'm amazed at how many people just look at me like I've got two heads when I remind them that the libraries here have an amazing selection of TV shows.
    We do that sometimes, we take out digital books and things from our local library. Plus, i do try and buy collections of shows she really likes if they're affordable. She's on this big kick for Paw Patrol and we got a big pack of dvds for her of episodes that weren't on our available streaming platforms. Admittedly, I'm a holdover from the old school where when you pay for something, you owned it, so it's been a difficult trek for me switching to streaming culture. Old habits die hard and i'm too used to falling back on piracy when i either can't stream or can't afford a purchase. Working on that though. I pirate a lot less than I used to, and i'd like to envision myself as part of a world where i absolutely feel like i don't have to.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    what I silently wonder is, though... what exactly is the REAL difference between torrenting and renting from the library? Just saying...

Convenience?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    9 times out of 10, i can get what i'm looking for without piracy. I'm not going to claim i wasn't a huge pirate back in the day, but these days i usually can find anything without it. When i say i occasionally have to resort to torrents, it's in the case of a single episode or series that got pulled from a streaming service and just isn't available anywhere else. Movies are easier, i'm more likely to just buy a download to my Xbox One since that's basically my media center. Tangent, it's really the console that's done the most to curb my piracy habits. I was that guy that said over and over "I just want it to play games, all this media shit is unnecessary, i'm never gonna use it!" Then we had a kid, and it has become the epitome of entertainment convenience. So anybody who ever wanted an example of me having to eat crow, there you go.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    what I silently wonder is, though... what exactly is the REAL difference between torrenting and renting from the library? Just saying...

Convenience?
    Knowledge.

It’s easier for most people to use Kanopy or Hoopla.

It really is amazing what you can get from the library. I didn’t know until recently that I could take out DIGITAL books from my local library downloaded to my Kindle. They also have a DRIVE-UP service; I order online and someone delivers it to my lazy ass out front in my car. INCLUDING DVDs! OF CURRENT STUFF!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    What's really messed up is in the UK library's are vanishing at an alarming rate (i haven't had a local one for years!) this soon won't even be an option for us!

I try not to pirate, but as an anime fan it's sometimes the ONLY option, especially with some show's not making it over here (like FLCL's new season, never got a UK stream release, but was available in the US...WTF?!) or show's just being pulled from streaming services and only for sale on DVD from ebay for silly prices (Like Kill La Kill, i still haven't even finished that!) on top of that with so many different streaming services just for anime, all asking for the same price, it's no wonder people move to pirate...and the same is happening with regular streaming sites now, too many streaming services want a piece of the pie which is causing people to be really picky with what service(s) they use or just dropping them completely.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Today, we decided that the constitution doesn't allow you to put a chalk mark on someone's tire, but it allows you to buy a semiautomatic rifle.

I think it's time we admit the constitution has maybe stayed up a little past its bedtime.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, i really don't get that. Like, i see the chalk thing as some mild entrapment, but unconstitutional? I can't see the connection there.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    What's really messed up is in the UK library's are vanishing at an alarming rate (i haven't had a local one for years!) this soon won't even be an option for us!
    Luckily, there appear to be a ton of them listed online.

Including many in London.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-23-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Yeah, i really don't get that. Like, i see the chalk thing as some mild entrapment, but unconstitutional? I can't see the connection there.
    They’re touching your property without first obtaining a warrant.

Edit:
    Today, we decided that the constitution allows you to buy a semiautomatic rifle.
    Link?
    Last edited by allegro; 04-23-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    They’re touching your property without first obtaining a warrant.
    That makes perfect sense. I should have seen that. I'm a super stickler about warrants and private property.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Link?
    Are they suddenly illegal? I thought we never got around to banning those.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Are they suddenly illegal? I thought we never got around to banning those.
    You said “today we decided” like today there was a Federal Court decision related to semiautomatic rifles.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Luckily, there appear to be a ton of them listed online.

Including many in London.
    As silly as it sounds there used to be alot more when i was growing up. You almost had one for every school in each area. I'm also pretty sure a few of those have closed (last time i was in bexley i saw one being turned into a Tesco) and i know a couple are due to be closed soon (community efforts to keep them pending)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I don't know if this belongs here or Europe Lurches to the Right, but British PM Theresa May is resigning.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't know if this belongs here or Europe Lurches to the Right, but British PM Theresa May is resigning.
    Given the options of who will replace her, I think Europe Lurches to the Rightis the most sensible option

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Colorado is awesome:

Colorado Caps Insulin Co-Pays At $100 For Insured Residents

As nearly 7.5 million Americans contend with covering the skyrocketing costs of insulin to manage the disease, diabetics in Colorado will soon have some relief.

A new law, signed by Gov. Jared Polis earlier this week, caps co-payments of the lifesaving medication at $100 a month for insured patients, regardless of the supply they require. Insurance companies will have to absorb the balance.

The law also directs the state's attorney general to launch an investigation into how prescription insulin prices are set throughout the state and make recommendations to the legislature.

Colorado is the first state to enact such sweeping legislation aiming to shield patients from dramatic insulin price increases.

"One in four type 1 diabetics have reported insulin underuse due to the high cost of insulin ... [t]herefore, it is important to enact policies to reduce the costs for Coloradans with diabetes to obtain life-saving and life-sustaining insulin," the law states.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ton/ar-AABUqOb

Honestly, i'm not surprised. I've lived in Ohio my whole life, and while there is definitely a solid conservative core, the state as a whole is pretty well represented by all skin colors. I went to school in Pennsylvania and there were a lot more racists there than here in Ohio, at least overtly.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    loking to buy a place there to settle down in coincidentally. CO rules

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah YouTube is the most fucked-up of all.

Link to entire thread.

Last edited by allegro; 05-30-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Link to entire thread.

YouTubes response to this is a complete and utter fucking joke!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Link to entire thread.

jesus.
    I was about to start defending youtube with a free speech argument, but then I watched the video. Now I wanna beat this Crowder dude's ass.

Interestingly enough, ANOTHER youtube channel I watch that leans right, but discusses interesting occult imagery in pop culture (which is why I watch it,) ALSO really pissed me off yesterday. They were making fun of the same dude, and it REALLY fucking offended me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, screw bullies.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    YouTube has now gone full "we have no idea what we are doing" by demonotizing the above dipshit, even though they defended their stance to not do anything hours before, while also demonotizing anything with these kind of things in their videos...both good and bad! News and documentary channels are now being mass demonotizing and in some cases deleted...they've full on shit the bed "you wanna talk difficult issues, well sorry not on here, this is a safe (advertiser) space now...but we'll continue to let all the racists/flat earthers/anti vaxers make content and push their merch though, we'll just keep our ads from them"

fucking hell.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    YouTube has now gone full "we have no idea what we are doing" by demonotizing the above dipshit, even though they defended their stance to not do anything hours before, while also demonotizing anything with these kind of things in their videos...both good and bad! News and documentary channels are now being mass demonotizing and in some cases deleted...they've full on shit the bed "you wanna talk difficult issues, well sorry not on here, this is a safe (advertiser) space now...but we'll continue to let all the racists/flat earthers/anti vaxers make content and push their merch though, we'll just keep our ads from them"

fucking hell.
    And to be clear: they'll immediately restore ad revenue if he just pulls a link to the bigoted t-shirts he sells.

And to also be clear: by pulling the money, they're still leaving him with a platform which currently has almost 4,000,000 subscribers.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    More and more evidence that YouTube is a steaming hot garbage magnet.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabia wants to murder a now 18 year old boy who they detained at the age of 13 for participating in a bike riding protest demanding human rights at the age of 10.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...-penalty-intl/

WWE will be broadcasting their Super ShowDown event later today from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I wish we had a “dislike” or “sad” button, cause I’d hit it immediately on the above post.

Wtf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    CNN is reporting that Saudi Arabia wants to murder a now 18 year old boy who they detained at the age of 13 for participating in a bike riding protest demanding human rights at the age of 10.
    That is messed up. The kid was doing the right thing. How is it possible that he is being punished/killed for that?

I really don't see how it's possible for things like that to happen in this day and age.

Effing corrupt leaders.

Soulless businesspeople.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48555889

Not sure how UK law works, but if hate crimes are a thing...charge them all and give them plenty of time to sit and think about it. I'm going to be furious if any of them get off easy based on age.