Page 139 of 195 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5833

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Got one of what I really wanted. The Crow the sold out in the 12 people ahead of us.

But found that 'o' Bob Marley at another store at a good price. So, not a waste.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Bailed on the three-hour long wait this year and only showed up early afternoon to check out if there's anything left. No Death Grips or The Crow, sadly, but my main draw was the Courtney Barnett single (again) and the Wipers EP was a neat bonus. I used to be obsessed with the title track.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First Record Store Day I’m sadly unable to make it (had a child Thursday) but hearing horror stories about The Crow OST availability from friends anyways...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First Record Store Day I’m sadly unable to make it (had a child Thursday) but hearing horror stories about The Crow OST availability from friends anyways...
    Congratulations!

I haven't made a single RSD since my daughter was born a few years ago.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Picked up the Death Grips and U2 releases today at RSD. Went to three locations and all were out of The Crow though, unfortunately.
    Thats a bummer. I got to Love Garden like half an hour before opening, thinking I was so late I’d miss out on everything I wanted. Sure enough, I get to the RSD table and there are like 8 copies of The Crow. Might still be a couple?

Edit: Just kidding, word on the street is they're sold out now, too. As far as what I got, I snagged a picture earlier with my print from last night's Failure show!

Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    No rsd releases for me, but I did catch a 2 song in store performance from T Bone Burnett so I got this
    Last edited by imail724; 04-13-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Last edited by brotha52; 04-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    My local record store hadn't been able to get the two things that I'd wanted (The Crow - OST, Ethik - Music For Stock Exchange), and it's my kids birthday so heading out to other locations was not a priority. Ah well.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Decided on taking the "Hey, 8000 copies of The Crow are out in the wild... so Discogs will have them at a decent price soon enough, like next month, when I have more cash." approach now.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Decided on taking the "Hey, 8000 copies of The Crow are out in the wild... so Discogs will have them at a decent price soon enough, like next month, when I have more cash." approach now.
    It's odd that so many people have seemingly widely not been able to snag a couple of The Crow, but with 8000 copies, I would think it would have been one of the easier to find releases. With the hype of this though, it's almost inevitable that in like three months it will be re-released, just without one disc being white.

Also, completely off topic, but regardless of how cool the packaging is for the South Park release (its fucking cool), whatever label is releasing that can seriously fuck right off with it's 80 dollar price tag.
    Last edited by richardp; 04-13-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Missed out out on The Crow but managed to snag the Industrial Accident OST with the free tickets to the documentary screener, a Q&A session, plus a free concert by Ministry and they are only playing Wax Trax stuff! Oh yeah, and I couldn’t pass up A-Ha’s release...I love that album

Soundgarden came in the mail today as well

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Oh, and if any of you come across The Crow OST, PLEASE can you snag me a copy and I’ll pay you?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    OH, and for you video game soundtrack lovers, Limited Run Games is doing a blind box for $4.99 to clear out this 2018 inventory. I snagged four of them just because it’s so damn cheap!

https://limitedrungames.com/products...eid=bb9e1af168

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Picked up the RSD Bone Thugz- East 1999. Classic, couldn't resist .

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    @NotoriousTIMP any chance your planning on taping that Ministry show?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    my buddy picked up the crow. he was gonna get me one. but he got the only copy...

its kinda disgusting that its going for over 100 bucks on discogs already...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm hoping come Monday there'll be more discogs and prices will be a bit less silly. Optimistic, maybe.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    its kinda disgusting that its going for over 100 bucks on discogs already...
    Why is it disgusting?

I see it as just capitalism. Relative scarcity and a big demand just doubled the price in a sort time frame but it's not like it'll stay that way for very long. For those who don't want to wait and can afford it, why is it disgusting?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Why is it disgusting?

I see it as just capitalism. Relative scarcity and a big demand just doubled the price in a sort time frame but it's not like it'll stay that way for very long. For those who don't want to wait and can afford it, why is it disgusting?
    because it flies in the face of the entire point of record store day. it's supposed to be a day for people who love records to be able to come together and celebrate that fact, while also snagging some records that they might otherwise not be able to get. someone buying something specifically for the purpose of flipping it at a higher cost is an asshole. it's not like they bought it and then ran into financial trouble a couple months later; they bought it specifically to make money off other people who weren't lucky enough to get a copy​. i think in any context, doing that sort of thing is a huge dick move, and it's proof of how greedy and unkind people often are.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i think in any context, doing that sort of thing is a huge dick move, and it's proof of how greedy and unkind people often are.
    So the problem is capitalism, gotcha...

I mean, I don't disagree, I just wanted to know...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So the problem is capitalism, gotcha...

I mean, I don't disagree, I just wanted to know...
    yeah, but capitalism on a small scale like that which is wholly avoidable is a solvable problem, rather than the capitalism we experience every day. individual people can choose​ not to be greedy dicks and just let the people who actually want to buy the record at the store buy the record at the store. you know what i mean?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    individual people can choose​ not to be greedy dicks and just let the people who actually want to buy the record at the store buy the record at the store. you know what i mean?
    it scales, yes but motivation for acquisition is individualistic regardless. Very rarely do individuals who invest time and money to acquire something for "the community". So, no... I don't really see the difference in that sense. I see it as either participating in the system(s) involved or not... an individual is allowed to purchase whatever they want, when they want, for whatever reason they want. Doesn't mean we can't think of them as assholes.

Like the owners of certain brands of vehicles (and the modifications to said vehicles).

Or computers.

Or,
    Or,
    Or....

Until the people involved with the system(s) want to change, and we customers can influence this, it won't change.

We still seem to value money and that's plenty motivation for a lot of folk to keep it the way it is.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Why is it disgusting?

Ok Donald.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Relative scarcity and a big demand
    ARBITRARY scarcity, that's the rub. The 'limited exclusive' thing is why the price went up: this is a popular title, one which has only been on a couple of dodgy bootleg LP pressings before, and there's far more demand than this limited run would ever fulfill. So: feeding frenzy. That's squarely on Atlantic Records, not the eBay flippers, nor personal greed writ large. It's the direct result of one decision by a specific group.

I bet that if you were willing to wait and get a copy later, one without the two-tone vinyl, there would be a wider release further down the road which will be far cheaper than all those online copies are right now (otherwise Atlantic would be leaving money on the table, for another bootleg run to fill the demand). But this idea that the community can overturn arbitrary scarcity by withholding their demand is... kind of true, but it would mean a complete reversal of habits on a widespread basis. What's really driven the flipping behaviour to begin with is record companies deciding to make these runs so limited worldwide.
    Last edited by botley; 04-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Why is it disgusting?

Capitalism as a whole concept is fucking disgusting.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Ok Donald.
    Annnnd you think calling me names will somehow be beneficial? Cool, cool.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It doesn't appear that any stores in RI got Editors release I was interested in. At least it was just a first release thing. It comes out in May otherwise.

As far as record store day, the first couple around here were no problem. You could get in and out without incident. After a few years word spread and people definitely seemed to camp out with the sole purpose of purchasing and reselling. I forget what year (2013 maybe?) it got to the point where the store I usually go to could only let a few people in at a time. The first person that came back out had 3 bags full of records. I find it highly unlikely that person bought all of those for their own collection. Well within their right, but still felt like a douche thing to me. The one thing I wanted was gone, but was able to drive to another location and obtain one. Thankfully, for me, there hasn't been anything I've really been interested in for the last few years.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ARBITRARY scarcity, that's the rub.
    Yeah, some stores in some geographies got some. It's almost pure luck.

The 'limited exclusive' thing is why the price went up
    The store price is still the same; it's the effort that individuals went through to acquire the limited exclusive thing that the price went up. It's a small difference, but to me, that's far different than a store doing a mark-up above the record label price (local taxes not including).

What's really driven the flipping behaviour to begin with is record companies deciding to make these runs so limited worldwide.
    Yup. And that's the gamble the record companies take. Not every RSD title will sell out (I've seen the bins lined with RSD releases that have withered... pretty sure others have as well) and even with titles they think will do well, some won't (especially if word gets out that the pressing of it is shitty). So what's the incentive to press 50000 copies when they aren't sure even 1000 will sell? Well, so they start small and see what happens. And the lucky few who manage to get them, well, they are lucky and can do whatever they want with their good fortune. Although, personally, I don't think I'd participate in flipping+huge markup (or probably any markup)... but I have picked up stuff for friends who couldn't make it and sold at store price. Of course, these friends were local, so there's no shipping.

The only way to curb that flipper at huge markup prices day of prices is by not participating in buying at that price. Let the hoarder gamble and see how well that pays off.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Capitalism as a whole concept is fucking disgusting.
    In general, I agree with you.

I welcome post-scarcity (of so many, many basics of Maslow's hierarchy of needs ((and reasonable wants))...).