Page 144 of 160 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Maybe people are inundated with their kids? I don't have any, but I'll bet it's pretty draining to have them all home, all day, erryday.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    No idea. Child free and happy to post.
    I am trying not to be too uppity, and Mon-Fri I'm balanced with having work to focus on.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Not sure where to put this so I’ll just stick it here: does ETS seem not as active as it should be? Just had free music drop and much of the world is looking for things to pass the time. Seems like there should be more activity but maybe it’s just me. Yeah, I know about the FB groups that might steal some thunder from our beloved forums. <3
    @piggy is correct (at least with me anyway). I'm too worn out from having my routine disrupted and trying to wrangle kids while my husband and I work from home. I assumed I would be online more during all this, but I've actually been on here and reddit FAR less than normal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, I got tired of posting in the Controversial NIN Opinions thread only to have some members constantly defending the latest film scores (I mean Ghosts V Together, and Ghosts VI Locusts). It's a goddamn "Controversial NIN Opinions Thread", I wouldn't dare post controversial opinions in any other thread for fear of being crucified. The weird thing about a NIN release that I found disappointing and unlistenable is it makes me appreciate the past releases much more, they seem even better than they already were. I even watched the Beside You In Time and Lights In the Sky Blurays (I haven't been able to watch them in years as I watched them way too many times when they were first released!) So now I've been enjoying the NIN back catalog as if with fresh ears and eyes.
    Last edited by fishtifer; 04-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    Well, I got tired of posting in the Controversial NIN Opinions thread only to have some members constantly defending the latest film scores (I mean Ghosts V Together, and Ghosts VI Locusts). It's a goddamn "Controversial NIN Opinions Thread", I wouldn't dare post controversial opinions in any other thread for fear of being crucified. The weird thing about a NIN release that I found disappointing and unlistenable is it makes me appreciate the past releases much more, they seem even better than they already were. I even watched the Beside You In Time and Lights In the Sky Blurays (I haven't been able to watch them in years as I watched them way too many times when they were first released!) So now I've been enjoying the NIN back catalog as if with fresh ears and eyes.
    This isn't the "everyone agrees with you" thread. When I post that I think Mantra is fucking awful, I expect to get roasted, but that's the place for it.

Also, Mantra is fucking awful.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Johnny Cash fans on Twitter who can’t just give their opinion on liking Cash’s Hurt more but have to concoct stories around it like Trent gave the rights away or never played it again just really piss me off and it would take only the tiniest bit of research to prove that their story is wrong

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "This isn't the "everyone agrees with you" thread."

Yes, I know - I made a poll on one of the NIN Facebook groups just to see:

Who just can't get into the new Ghosts V Together and Ghosts VI Locusts?

Everything Trent releases is a Masterpiece: 33

No sir, I don't like 'em: 9

The group added a few more options:

They're dope as fuck, but not masterpieces: 25

Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet: 21

Last edited by fishtifer; 04-07-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not sure where to put this so I’ll just stick it here: does ETS seem not as active as it should be?
    The world is in the middle of a pandemic, so...

Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    Well, I got tired of posting in the Controversial NIN Opinions thread only to have some members constantly defending the latest film scores (I mean Ghosts V Together, and Ghosts VI Locusts).
    Huh. It's almost like we have opinions as well.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The world is in the middle of a pandemic, so...

Huh. It's almost like we have opinions as well.
    So... people seem to have more time on their hands. Not sure what’s so difficult to understand about that. There are many on here and other places that have used the time to catch up on music, etc.

as for the second part, yeah you have your opinion. Not sure why YOU get so bent out of shape when we someone here doesn’t really care for certain TR/AR projects.

Maybe just stay out of this thread if it bugs you so much. You seriously seem miserable when it comes to attempting to discuss things, even when persons give their X, Y, and/or Z logical reasons for not liking things. Not even sure how you were able to quote me since I’ve had you blocked for a year or whatever it is now.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Not even sure how you were able to quote me since I’ve had you blocked for a year or whatever it is now.
    FYI - the ignore list is one-sided, meaning you don't see their posts but they can still see yours. this isn't twitter.

not touching the rest of the post, just wanting to clear that up.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I guess my controversial opinion, since so many Nine Inch Nails fans think he’s the shit, is that I fucking hate Johnny Cash. “Hurt” is the only thing I can deal with that he’s done. Don’t like his music. Don’t like him as a person. If he comes on when I’m working, I turn him off, and boy do people take that shit personally. And I think it’s the fans that moved me from a sensible “I really don’t care for his music, but whatever” to the “Is there any way he could be deader?” kind of reaction to him.
    I agree that I am sick of Cash's Hurt, it is very well performed but sonically it is kind of a generic ballad when compared to its original composition, I do believe it is heart-felt, but so was Trent's and a lot of my frustrations also come from the fact that people downplay Trent's own feelings when he performed his own original version "Oh, NIN is an angsty emo version", it is a shame so many people have that out-look on NIN.

I do think that the "could he be any deader" sentiment is kind of mean and uncalled for though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My own controversial opinion is that it's sad some people just dismiss these records as "soundtrack left-overs".

I have listened to T/A
    ' soundtracks, there is an influence from them here, but these are very much so structured as albums, to be listened to on its own without it being intended for any scene from a show or a movie, these songs are placed together in their track list to offer amazing intros and satisfying endings, they way they are structured and composed seems far too perfect for its own listening, listening to some Watchmen soundtracks, sometimes it is obvious it is intended for a scene, I did not get that type of feeling while listening to Together and Locusts.

They are just as genuine albums as The Fragile is for example (not implying they are of the same quality), just because they are Ambient records doesn't mean they are
    "movie scores", they are not connected to any movie/show, so that automatically leaves them out of that category.

There are Ambient records out there which develop far less than these two records do, and they aren't connected to any other medium either. Still has tracks which were intended to be used as soundtracks for One Hour, but once they were used for Still they progressed into something else, that is confirmed, unlike with Together/Locusts in which we are not even 100% certain how much of it is from any unused score and if it is there is a high chance the song went through a lot of transformations.

Yet we do hold Still in high regards even with that fact known and I don't see anyone calling it a movie score, why should we tread differently with Together and Locusts?

I am not going to deny the possibility of some of these being re-used and changed from some unused soundtracks, not at all! But I don't see why I should then categorize these as movie scores.

I also think that it's worth mentioning that
    a lot of Nine Inch Nails is dripping into the soundtracks so it only makes sense for NIN to show some influence from the soundtracks as well, I think that is just natural and good for NIN for it to evolve as it has been doing so for decades now.

And, just to clarify, I do not want to dismiss anyone's negative opinions of these two records, that is fine as I've stated somewhere else here before, I just don't see why some people want to dismiss these albums as
    soundtracks or so.
    Last edited by HWB; 04-08-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I guess my controversial opinion, since so many Nine Inch Nails fans think he’s the shit, is that I fucking hate Johnny Cash. “Hurt” is the only thing I can deal with that he’s done. Don’t like his music. Don’t like him as a person. If he comes on when I’m working, I turn him off, and boy do people take that shit personally. And I think it’s the fans that moved me from a sensible “I really don’t care for his music, but whatever” to the “Is there any way he could be deader?” kind of reaction to him.
    yeah, I don’t really hear the emotion in his voice everyone talks about, he sings it in generic deep Cash voice. I think they imbue that from the video which seems like people suddenly realising ‘old people die’. He had a good innings, died within six months of his wife, is it really that tragic? he lived to a good age considering his lifestyle. I do like the relevance of the delapidated Cash museum with Empire of Dirt though. Ultimately I think Cash fans are just bitter that Trent wrote a better song even though he isn’t known being a ‘singer-songwriter’

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    yeah, I don’t really hear the emotion in his voice everyone talks about, he sings it in generic deep Cash voice. I think they imbue that from the video which seems like people suddenly realising ‘old people die’. He had a good innings, died within six months of his wife, is it really that tragic? he lived to a good age considering his lifestyle. I do like the relevance of the delapidated Cash museum with Empire of Dirt though. Ultimately I think Cash fans are just bitter that Trent wrote a better song even though he isn’t known being a ‘singer-songwriter’
    100% agree. His voice is robotic, almost completely devoid of emotion. This isn't an age thing; Bowie was 69 when he died (Cash was 71), yet Blackstar is full of passion.

Probably irrelevant here: Cash's guitar riff in Hurt sounds almost completely ripped off from Marilyn Manson's 'Lamb of God'. Just an observation.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wish people would stop suggesting Marilyn Manson to induct Trent in the Rock Hall. I’ve never been able to stand him, it would be cringe inducing. Also they’ve had a feud for the last god knows how many years, yes I know it’s over but you wouldn’t ask Dave Mustaine to induct Metallica would you?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Cash's guitar riff in Hurt sounds almost completely ripped off from Marilyn Manson's 'Lamb of God'. Just an observation.
    Well thanks fucking a lot, now I can't unhear it! It was bad enough that Lamb of God is basically Climbing Up The Walls by Radiohead.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Holy shitsnacks! I’ve never heard this suggestion. This is idiotic. No way. Marilyn Manson can no longer be trusted with public speaking, for one thing. And, for another, even in his prime, I doubt he’d be your man for something like that—there is no way he wouldn’t make it about himself.
    There was some vote in Billboard where it was suggested, and it was the vote winner and on various websites relating to the Rock Hall. To me it has to be either Dave Grohl or Gary Numan (or maybe even someone in films but I don’t see David Fincher as a speech type guy!). There are also women who have been influenced like St Vincent or Grimes who I’d rather see, but making it Marilyn Manson would make it about the past or just the 90s - terrible idea

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    So, I think it's on a lot of people to realize that A) this is the direction the band is going for the moment; B) you don't have to come along (it's okay not to feel it; doesn't make the album less than or you wrong); C) this doesn't mean you have to give up hope or make grand declarative statements of hatred or swearing off—the next time a release comes around, the band may have branched back towards you and/or you may have grown back towards what they're about; D) this is a thing you need to get used to, because it will happen with every single artist you follow for a long enough time. Even if we got a new Broken right now, it wouldn't feel the same. Not only because Trent is different, but because we're not who we were when we first heard the album. Disappointing? Maybe. But that's life.
    I agree with this, and I've been weaving in and out of the albums since Hesitation Marks. For the record, I've been listening to NIN since PHM.
    When HM came out, it was the first time there were more tracks I didn't like than did. That was an adjustment. I think it's difficult when you've spent a good chunk of your life being excited about a new release, only to be left not being able to dive into it like you're used to. I was psyched when NTAE and Add Violence came out: I felt like it was a departure from HM that I was very glad for, but then the pendulum kept moving, and I rarely choose to listen to Bad Witch, if ever. (I tried several times - it feels like a mess to me.) Ghosts V & VI are ok for what they are. I have no problem saying they're NIN albums, and I'll probably occasionally put them on. I'm just gonna sit back and hope the next release gives me more of what I'm looking for.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So... people seem to have more time on their hands.
    Not everyone does. Some people still have to work, take care of family, survive, etc.

Not sure why YOU get so bent out of shape when we someone here doesn’t really care for certain TR/AR projects.
    Getting bent out of shape implies that I get really worked up over this, which I don't, because this is a message board and its not worth the energy. I do get mildly annoyed at the entitlement some fans have when they don't like something though. Some fans feel that they're owed something, or that they know what's best for Trent & Atticus to do as artists. It's one thing not to like something, but it seems like people obsess over not liking an album or song. The way fans jump to one extreme or the other is also pretty annoying. There's nothing wrong with something being merely good or okay even. I don't think Ghosts V-VI is even their best work, but the way some fans treat it like they were just given a free bag of dog shit is absurd and, again, entitled. No, you don't have to like it because it's free, but lower your expectations! It was a gift put out in the hope that it might help some people in a difficult time, not the second coming of The Downward Spiral. If you don't like it, cool, but don't act like you were promised something different.

Also, it seems like a lot of fans are stuck in their angsty teenage years, and they think Trent & Atticus should deliver something to appease that. Maybe the problem isn't Trent & Atticus. Maybe it's the fans who need to mature. After all, there's music beyond HARD RAWKKK!!!

Not even sure how you were able to quote me since I’ve had you blocked for a year or whatever it is now.
    You blocked me but you replied to me? I feel so loved! You can't quit me, baby! :P
    Last edited by BRoswell; 04-08-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Also, it seems like a lot of fans are stuck in their angsty teenage years, and they think Trent & Atticus should deliver something to appease that. Maybe the problem isn't Trent & Atticus. Maybe it's the fans who need to mature. After all, there's music beyond HARD RAWKKK!!!
    I think this is overly simplistic. Just because I don't enjoy Bad Witch onward doesn't mean I'm any less mature...it's just not what I'm looking for in music from NIN. I get tired of people equating not enjoying newer material with lack of maturity; I think that's some bullshit.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Just because I don't enjoy Bad Witch onward doesn't mean I'm any less mature...it's just not what I'm looking for in music from NIN.
    I'm not talking about people like you. I'm talking about Mr or Mrs. "I Haven't Like A NIN Release Since [insert angsty NIN album here]". There's way too many fans who are stuck on default mode and believe Trent & Atticus should be as well, despite the fact that they've shown that they don't care about that sort of thing. They'll zig and zag and do what they want, and it may not please everyone, but it's not meant to. Rather than complain about it, those fans should just say "c'est la vie". Unfortunately, that would leave them without something to complain about, so they pine for the "old days" that are never going to come again because it gives them some sort of purpose.

I'll say it again: the entitlement of fans is what bothers me the most. The fact that fans think they are owed something that's just for them simply because they liked something else an artist put out is what's silly to me. You're free to dislike something, but you're not OWED anything, and you can choose to leave whenever you want. That's something a lot of fans need to come to terms with. People change and grow and follow the things that interest them, and that's especially true of artists. Why should Trent & Atticus stand still? So some guy who rocks his Downward Spiral t-shirt on the regular won't shit on their next album? Give me a break.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, I hear you. I guess I just tune out the Whiny Bitch Brigade.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The complainers in here seem to be the ones that can’t handle others not-so-popular opinions. There’s some (not many!) who want to say “it’s not the 90s anymore, get over it, why are you even still here?” My personal rebuttal to that is TR/AR have been making similar type of music (soundtrack/NIN/HTDA) for nearly a dozen years now. It’s a bit stale at this point.

Why am I still here? Easy. There’s still some good tunes they churn out from time to time, treat the fans excellent (for the most part), and rarely disappoint live. NIN is still one of the best live bands no matter what era someone prefers.

BRos- seriously, stop flaming the fire. It’s tiring and not sure what you’re attempting to prove.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My personal rebuttal to that is TR/AR have been making similar type of music (soundtrack/NIN/HTDA) for nearly a dozen years now. It’s a bit stale at this point.
    So don't listen to it.

BRos- seriously, stop flaming the fire. It’s tiring and not sure what you’re attempting to prove.
    Oh, are you talking to me, O Mighty Blocker?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    So don't listen to it.

Oh, are you talking to me, O Mighty Blocker?
    Get a life, asshole.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Get a life, asshole.

Let's move on, shall we? My current controversial opinion is that there needs to be a serious overhaul in terms of how NIN music is released. With the amount of glitches and other issues that have happened the past couple years, it's high time that someone takes a deep look into how to improve upon the current model.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Here's another one from me: Despite really liking a lot of the tracks, I don't find the three EPs particularly listenable as individual records. I keep wanting to assemble them into a semi-sensible, semi-cohesive playlist order so I can listen to them as one album, even though we all know now that that's not how they were intended. I just feel like they might be more enjoyable to me that way. Anyone feel the same way or have any suggestions?
    There are some playlists and shit in here:
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...order-theories

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    "I Haven't Like A NIN Release Since [insert angsty NIN album here]".
    Sooo which album w/ vocals does NOT fall into that category?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The complainers in here seem to be the ones that can’t handle others not-so-popular opinions. There’s some (not many!) who want to say “it’s not the 90s anymore, get over it, why are you even still here?” My personal rebuttal to that is TR/AR have been making similar type of music (soundtrack/NIN/HTDA) for nearly a dozen years now. It’s a bit stale at this point.
    In my opinion, this isn't really true. I feel that there is incredible amount of diversity and "stale" isn't the word at all I'd imagine being used here. Especially with NIN side of things, each release no matter what era has been incredibly diverse, The Trilogy especially explored ideas which the band has never done, incredibly refreshing!
    I do not mean to take away your reasoning, but I just cannot personally imagine ever finding NIN stale, especially lately.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Here's another one from me: Despite really liking a lot of the tracks, I don't find the three EPs particularly listenable as individual records. I keep wanting to assemble them into a semi-sensible, semi-cohesive playlist order so I can listen to them as one album, even though we all know now that that's not how they were intended. I just feel like they might be more enjoyable to me that way. Anyone feel the same way or have any suggestions?
    Trent actually said that the EPs are meant to be listened together as an album, imagine The Trilogy as an entire album seperated into three records.