Page 36 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2270

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I trust Flanagan is gonna do a good job with this one.
    Before I Wake was finally released and is getting crushed by critics and fans.

-------------------------------------------------------

Watched The Darkness (released on home video this past week; directed by the guy that did Wolf Creek 1 & 2) and The Other Side of the Door. Both were mediorce at best, with their IMDB scores being fairly accurate in my opinion (5/10).

The Conjuring 2 is released on Tuesday! The wife and I are watching the first one and Annabelle tonight.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Before I Wake was finally released and is getting crushed by critics and fans.

-------------------------------------------------------

Watched The Darkness (released on home video this past week; directed by the guy that did Wolf Creek 1 & 2) and The Other Side of the Door. Both were mediorce at best, with their IMDB scores being fairly accurate in my opinion (5/10).

The Conjuring 2 is released on Tuesday! The wife and I are watching the first one and Annabelle tonight.
    Yeah I gave 5/10 to The Darkness as well and 6 for The Other Side Of The Door.

However, I really liked Before I Wake. I thought it was original. Should not have been marketed as a pure horror movie but rather a dark fantasy movie.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vi...ctors-edition/

Scream Factory has just announced that they will be releasing a 2-disc blu-ray edition of William Peter Blatty’s The Exorcist III, which will see its release on October 25th.
    Scream Factory understands that many fans want to see a “Director’s Cut”, which is something they’re completely transparent about:
    We know that the biggest question you might have is: Will there be a “Director’s Cut” of the film? The answer is yes—but with some caveats. We are working on putting together a version that will be close to Blatty’s original script using a mixture of various film and video tape sources that we have been provided with. This is still a work in progress and we will update you with more details at the time we announce the full list of bonus materials.
    No other extras/bonus features have been announced but Scream says that they’re going to be detailed towards the end of summer. Additionally, they say “…there are tons of [extras]“, so I think we’ll be very satisfied with what we’re getting!
    For more than fifteen years Police Lieutenant Kinderman (George C. Scott) has been haunted by the death of his friend Father Damien Karras. Now, on the 15th anniversary of the exorcism that claimed the Father’s life, Kinderman’s world is once again shattered when a boy is found decapitated and savagely crucified. It’s just the beginning of a nightmare series of bizarre religious murders.
    Pre-orders are open through Scream Factory.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...93&__tn__=%2As

**Major Update on THE EXORCIST III***

Get ready to be possessed by our upcoming 2-Disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition of the popular (and sorely underrated) third installment in THE EXORCIST franchise. Today we, and Morgan Creek Productions, proudly present the final list of bonus features.

DISC ONE:
    • The Exorcist III (Theatrical Cut) - New 2K scan of the inter-positive
    • Vintage featurette
    • Deleted Scene/Alternate Takes/Bloopers
    • Deleted Prologue
    • Vintage interviews (featuring behind-the-scenes footage) with writer/director William Peter Blatty, George C. Scott, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders, Grand L. Bush, executive producer James G. Robinson, production designer Leslie Dilley, Larry King and C. Everett Koop
    • Original Theatrical Trailers
    • Original TV Spots
    • Photo Galleries

DISC TWO:
    • Legion (Original Director’s Cut of The Exorcist III) 105 minutes*
    • NEW Audio interview with writer/director William Peter Blatty
    • NEW A “Wonderfull” Time – interviews with producer Carter DeHaven, actors Clifford David and Tracy Thorne and production assistant Kara Reidy
    • NEW Signs of the Gemini – an interview with Brad Dourif
    • NEW The Devil in the Details – interview with production designer Leslie Dilley, assistant designer Daren Dochterman and illustrator Simon Murton
    • NEW Music for a Padded Cell – an interview with composer Barry DeVorzon
    • NEW All This Bleeding – a look at the re-shoot and makeup effects with production manager Ronald Colby, editor Todd Ramsay, effects artists William Forsche, Mike Smithson, Brian Wade and actor/body double Charles Powell

*In speaking to the process of creating the Legion Director’s cut, Blu-ray producer Cliff MacMillan explains further as to the journey to get there and the outcome. “We conducted an exhaustive search through a pallet of film assets from the original shoot to re-create William Peter Blatty’s intended vision. Unfortunately, that footage has been lost to time. To that end, we turned to VHS tapes of the film’s dailies to assemble the director’s cut. However, even some of that footage was incomplete, so scenes from the theatrical re-shoot were used to fill in the gaps. This director’s cut is a composite of varying footage quality from the best available sources.”
    Last edited by Ryan; 09-13-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Is anybody going to catch The Disappointments Room?

Only asking because of laughs, everything about that movie looks lame, from the title to the trailer...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Is anybody going to catch The Disappointments Room?

Only asking because of laughs, everything about that movie looks lame, from the title to the trailer...
    It such a weird title.
    Just checked the trailer. Maybe because you set the bar so low with you comment but I didn't think it looked that bad. I've seen worse for sure.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It such a weird title.
    Just checked the trailer. Maybe because you set the bar so low with you comment but I didn't think it looked that bad. I've seen worse for sure.
    Explanation of what a disappointment room is (behind spoiler tag because spoiler, sort of) Spoiler: A disappointment room is a hidden room in which parents were keeping a child with a disability (either mental of physical). There was great shame in having such a child some parents were removing them from their social and family life as much as they could. The "real event" from which the movie is based upon is explained here (and it contains spoilers for the movie) http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...intments-room/

Well, it has 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, which means that it's a must see because I need to know if it's really that bad. Blair Witch is at 38% and I'm still seeing it next week.

I never had much hope in Blair Witch anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread at all (I looked back quite a few pages to check) but I highly recommend Green Room. It's about a punk band that plays shows in the middle of nowehere that gets tangled up in a skinhead mob clusterfuck and has to find a way to get out.
    Unbelievably suspenseful movie, with some very unexpected little twists. Very dark and brutal. Patrick Stewart playing a skinhead gangleader is fantastic. Anton Yelchin is great in it too (RIP).

If you enjoy it I would also recommend the same director's movie Blue Ruin, similar style, but more of a revenge thriller.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Announcement trailer for Annabelle 2

What in the what is an "announcement trailer"? It sure looks like a teaser trailer to me.

Also: Éowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan, killer of the Witch-king of Angmar, scared of a possessed little girl? Please!

Kidding! Looks interesting, sort of. And it's considered the fourth entry in The Conjuring universe.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Watched Blair Witch and Don't Breathe today. I felt Blair Witch was decent, though it didn't lend anything new to the franchise (the same local legends were repeated from the first one while the characters traversed the woods) there were some legitimate tense moments, including a scene to retrieve a drone as well as the tunnel sequence we glimpsed in the trailer. I also enjoyed the use of 'EarCams' (I have no idea if that's the correct term) so that it gave the characters more of an excuse to film everything as opposed to having the usual found footage trope of 'guy in group who just can't seem to put the camera down.' With a device like that, you'd forget it was clinging to the side of your face and you were filming everything you saw. The filmmakers even made fun of that to a point. That said, none of the characters were likeable, and the same scares as well as a strange new element introduced near the end that's very off putting, failing to add an interesting new shade to the Blair Witch legend, and instead coming across as awkward and confusing, really left me wanting more from this movie. There were also a large amount of jump scares that were incredibly annoying. At least I can say this sequel is better than Book of Shadows.

However, Don't Breathe was a fantastic horror movie. I loved the concept, the set up, the characters; everything from beginning to end was extremely well done. The sound design was especially notable as it accomplished everything it needed to do with building tension among the robbers and the blind man; it's essentially a twisted game of cat and mouse that shows how talented Fede Alvarez is as a filmmaker for building intensity and delivering emotional payoff. I liked each of these characters and hated them simultaneously; they're well rounded and you understand each of their motivations. Don't Breathe is one of the best horror films I've seen all year.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    However, Don't Breathe was a fantastic horror movie. I loved the concept, the set up, the characters; everything from beginning to end was extremely well done. The sound design was especially notable as it accomplished everything it needed to do with building tension among the robbers and the blind man; it's essentially a twisted game of cat and mouse that shows how talented Fede Alvarez is as a filmmaker for building intensity and delivering emotional payoff. I liked each of these characters and hated them simultaneously; they're well rounded and you understand each of their motivations. Don't Breathe is one of the best horror films I've seen all year.
    I really liked Don't Breathe, but I felt that the script could've used one more draft. There were a few character things that were too clunky and it had the potential to be an amazing movie! But, to me at least, it was "just" a good movie.

But I'm not trying to knock it by any means, it was a great big screen viewing experience, and the story never stopped and it kept me on the edge of my seat!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My biggest problem with Don't Breathe (which I did LOVE) was the goddamn trailers gave sooooo much away. And the fucking opening scene basically telling you who was going to be alive and dead by the end of the movie. Other than those two things we definitely enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just came back from seeing The Blair Witch. I've got mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    The first hour is dreadful. The setting in the woods cannot recreate the same atmosphere as the original Blair Witch did. Mainly because it doesn't feel like a found footage movie. Despite the incredibly shaky camera work (worse than usual for these type of movies), there's something about it that looks more like movie.
    With that being said, there are some good things about the movie. It's tough to elaborate without giving too much away but let's just say that the last 30 minutes pretty much saved the movie from being a dud. It went from a 4.5 and ended up being a 6/10, which by all means is nothing to brag about but I guess it could have been much worse.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just came back from seeing The Blair Witch.
    Saw it last night and thought it was complete garbage, last 30 minutes included. I'm not a big horror fan but I really liked the original, was expecting this one to at least not be horrible. It was just a bunch of jump scares thrown together around the same mythology we already heard with bad characters and terrible writing. Thank god for $5 Tuesdays at my local theater.
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 09-21-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @elevenism I saw this new release today, which will likely interest you. It's called Abattoir. It's a haunted house movie. Could be a nice surprise despite the low rating on IMDb.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @elevenism I saw this new release today, which will likely interest you. It's called Abattoir. It's a haunted house movie. Could be a nice surprise despite the low rating on IMDb.
    i was just thinking of asking you if you had caught anything good lately.

I got a kick out of Midnight Special yesterday, which, although not exactly a horror movie, is strange enough to border on horror. It's insanely suspenseful and has some supernatural activity going on. I guess it's more of like a sci-fi thriller.
    I'd recommend it to paranormal horror fans for sure.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Not mindblowing, but the premise was intriguing, it had nice visuals, and was enough of a mindfuck to be satisfying. Unless the ratings are really really low, I've stopped paying attention when it comes to horror movies. Either they get destroyed because they weren't scary, or they get bludgeoned because they are "vulgar". Either way, unless you're reinventing the Exorcist or get an A-lister, you get a low rating.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Not mindblowing, but the premise was intriguing, it had nice visuals, and was enough of a mindfuck to be satisfying. Unless the ratings are really really low, I've stopped paying attention when it comes to horror movies. Either they get destroyed because they weren't scary, or they get bludgeoned because they are "vulgar". Either way, unless you're reinventing the Exorcist or get an A-lister, you get a low rating.
    I would generally agree but from past experience, anything under 4 usually ain't that good. Anything above 4.5 deserves a shot imo.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Abattoir yesterday. I would agree with @Khrz that it's not mindblowing but it was satisfying. Definitely deserve a higher rating on IMDB. Gave it a solid 6/10.

Speaking of nice visuals, I also watched The Neon Demon. Such a weird movie. Definitely a case of style over substance. It started off great, despite its slow pace but I quickly lost interest mid-way through as the movie felt pointless. 5/10.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid i really liked Abbatoir. thanks for telling me about it.

It wasn't SCARY, but it was dark and it was a quirky little movie.

I thought of you, @Khrz , and what you had said about horror movies all being the same lately. This one damn sure wasn't.
    And i think i understand what you mean.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah I tend to prefer a failed movie that tried rather than a formulaic good movie. That's a harsh and short way to put it, but something like that.

I'll take an Abattoir, a Mr. Jones or an As Above So Below anytime over yet another big budget demonic possession. Those aren't good movies, most of the time they run on an idea and don't really know what their point is, but at least there's an actual idea.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Rewatched Tenebrae, my favorite Argento, last night. I love it so much.

I also watched, loved and bought Neon Demon recently too.

Ended up being disappointed in Blair Witch, which was a shame as I love the Wingard/Barrett team.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yeah I tend to prefer a failed movie that tried rather than a formulaic good movie. That's a harsh and short way to put it, but something like that.

I'll take an Abattoir, a Mr. Jones or an As Above So Below anytime over yet another big budget demonic possession. Those aren't good movies, most of the time they run on an idea and don't really know what their point is, but at least there's an actual idea.
    i definitely see what you mean.
    And i actually really enjoyed Abattoir. It damn sure wasn't perfect, but it certainly was entertaining, and i loved the silly film noir dialouge.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Ahahahha yeah that puzzled me a bit, for a while I was wondering "wait, when is this thing supposed to take place? Are they ghosts from the 40ies? ",especially since it only concerns the main protagonists! Everyone is normal, except those two looking like they got in the wrong movie.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Ahahahha yeah that puzzled me a bit, for a while I was wondering "wait, when is this thing supposed to take place? Are they ghosts from the 40ies? ",especially since it only concerns the main protagonists! Everyone is normal, except those two looking like they got in the wrong movie.
    Ha, right?
    My wife asked me "in what time period is this supposed to be set?"
    i was confused at first too, until i realized that the writer or director, for some reason, did it on purpose

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    came here for discussion of the GET OUT trailer and don't see any so here you go okpleasediscussnowthislooksdifferent&interestingkt hnxbye

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I watched The Stand on TV last night, still the greatest King adaptation!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    came here for discussion of the GET OUT trailer and don't see any so here you go okpleasediscussnowthislooksdifferent&interestingkt hnxbye

That looks like a total mindfuck. Can't wait!

Edit: Mind already blown by the fact that Jordan Peele wrote and directed it.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 10-07-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Gave 'The Burrowers' a shot last night and really enjoyed it, if any of you folks enjoyed Bone Tomahawk you might like it, it's the same kind of tension building horror/western that's so rarerly done well these days.

Also just got through Ash V's Evil Dead S2E2 (Do not eat anything during this episode) I thought the franchise went to some pretty 'dark places' over the years but that episode was truly fucked up. Wonderful though!!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The Wolf Creek mini-series is out. It's only 6 episodes long. If you liked the movie you'll like this. I'm halfway through. Pretty good so far.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I liked The Shallows so I'm down with another shark survival movie.

Last edited by Deepvoid; 10-11-2016 at 08:40 PM.