Page 8 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I mean, this isn't specifically Trump so much as another lawmaker, who is a Trump supporter (I mean, MAGA hat and all), and I didn't want it to get ignored if I posted it in the general headlines topic.
    I just... I shouldn't be shocked that this was something that happened and this guy is still in office... but I am anyway?
    WV Delegate make a "subtitle" comment that he would murder his children if they came out.

(with video because just reading a transcript suuuuure doesn't have the same feel as hearing this guy say it over and over again with a big grin on his face)

what
    the fuck
    is this timeline

I hate it

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I mean, this isn't specifically Trump so much as another lawmaker, who is a Trump supporter (I mean, MAGA hat and all), and I didn't want it to get ignored if I posted it in the general headlines topic.
    I just... I shouldn't be shocked that this was something that happened and this guy is still in office... but I am anyway?
    WV Delegate make a "subtitle" comment that he would murder his children if they came out.

(with video because just reading a transcript suuuuure doesn't have the same feel as hearing this guy say it over and over again with a big grin on his face)

what
    the fuck
    is this timeline

I hate it
    But how do we know gays would sink? Every experiment needs a control group, right? Throw him in first to make sure them good Straight Christians float.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Any publicity is good publicity, right?"

"STFU Donny! You're out of your element!"

"Go back to Hell's Kitchen, they serve better food than at Trump Tower!"

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    This is a good summary of the nonsense surrounding Ilhan Omar in recent days and does what it can to bring everything back to its original point - that the US really needs to re-examine it's current relationship with the Israeli government and their covered up human rights abuses and their determination to walk away from a two-state solution with Palestine - https://splinternews.com/ilhan-omars...ver-1832540295

I personally think the BDS movement isn't the solution, but it does bring attention to the problem and it hopefully leads to a realistic approach with this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    This is a good summary of the nonsense surrounding Ilhan Omar in recent days and does what it can to bring everything back to its original point - that the US really needs to re-examine it's current relationship with the Israeli government and their covered up human rights abuses and their determination to walk away from a two-state solution with Palestine - https://splinternews.com/ilhan-omars...ver-1832540295

I personally think the BDS movement isn't the solution, but it does bring attention to the problem and it hopefully leads to a realistic approach with this.
    YES!!! A-fucking-men! The human rights violations by Netanyahu need to be addressed.

It’s not anti-Semitic to support BDS. The interests of Israel, or the right-wing, Trump-allied government running it right now, aren’t the same as the interests of every Jewish American, and to pretend otherwise suggests something that’s at least as nefarious as the most critical reading of Omar’s tweet.
    People like Steve Scalise don’t give ONE SINGLE FUCK about Jews. People like Scalise and McCarthy and ESPECIALLY Huckabee only want to protect Israel because they are CHRISTIAN and they want to protect the CHRISTIAN HOLY LAND in accordance with the scriptures.

For example, see this Washington Post article.

This explains the Evangelical angle particularly well, and why they support Israel and Jews even though Jews tend to be Liberal and don't like Evangelicals

And while we're at it, THIS is a really interesting article.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    People like Steve Scalise don’t give ONE SINGLE FUCK about Jews. People like Scalise and McCarthy and ESPECIALLY Huckabee only want to protect Israel because they are CHRISTIAN and they want to protect the CHRISTIAN HOLY LAND in accordance with the scriptures.
    That's what they say to pander to the idiot masses, but the truth is far simpler: Israel pays them directly (AIPAC) and indirectly ("need" for endless war in the Middle East and I think we all know who REALLY runs this government).
    https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/w...r-ef07742a3238

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    That's what they say to pander to the idiot masses, but the truth is far simpler: Israel pays them directly (AIPAC) and indirectly ("need" for endless war in the Middle East and I think we all know who REALLY runs this government).
    https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/w...r-ef07742a3238
    Good point, that’s also true.

Greenwald said “It’s stunning how much time US political leaders spend defending a foreign nation even if it means attacking free speech rights of Americans.
    FUCK ALL LOBBYISTS.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Good point, that’s also true.

FUCK ALL LOBBYISTS.
    If you're not familiar with Caitlin's writing, I highly recommend reading more of her stuff. She calls it EXACTLY like it is and is a breath of fresh air in the toxic wasteland otherwise known as mass media.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Republican dominated Senate just passed a massive wilderness conservation/national monument bill: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    The Republican dominated Senate just passed a massive wilderness conservation/national monument bill: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11
    Congrats, GOP. You extended massively popular and common sense legislation that expired half a year ago after your own stubborn asshole Senators threw a tantrum about wanting their snowflake states to be excluded from it. Have a cookie.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Republican-dominated Senate just passed a massive wilderness conservation/national monument bill: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11
    “The Senate approved the bill, 92-8, sending it to the House.”

Fixed that for you.

Lawmakers from both parties said the bill's most important provision was to permanently reauthorize the federal Land and Water Conservation Fund, which supports conservation and outdoor recreation projects across the country.
    This truly is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Congrats, GOP. You extended massively popular and common sense legislation that expired half a year ago after your own stubborn asshole Senators threw a tantrum about wanting their snowflake states to be excluded from it. Have a cookie.
    Per the article: "The bill was derailed last year after Republican Sen. Mike Lee objected, saying he wanted to exempt his home state of Utah from a law that allows the president to designate federal lands as a national monument protected from development." What a dick.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-13-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I mean, i'm just surprised so many conservatives voted for it, and regardless of how Mr. Angsty Pants up there wants to spin it, i'm really pleased it got passed. Any bit of positive action out of todays government is a good thing.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I agree, and I hope that it will pass the House without too many problems; I just hope the Cheeto signs off on it, although I suppose this has enough support that it overrides a veto (it does in the Senate, not sure about the conservatives in the House).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I would think that it has enough support that Trump can easily see the benefits of signing it. I'm sure he'll throw shade about it, like "look what we can do when we work together, har har har, see how bipartisan i can be!" but if it gets signed into law, then i will not give a shit how he sells it to himself.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I would think that it has enough support that Trump can easily see the benefits of signing it. I'm sure he'll throw shade about it, like "look what we can do when we work together, har har har, see how bipartisan i can be!" but if it gets signed into law, then i will not give a shit how he sells it to himself.
    I'd be amazed if he can spell bipartisan, let alone know what it means!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I'd be amazed if he can spell bipartisan, let alone know what it means!
    "If we bipartisan Russian city, we can build the new Trump Tower."

I'll see myself out.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Lowkey think if Trump doesn't get his wall built, then he would move to legalize weed to get him some form of victory before the next election.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I vehemently oppose this two-party "system" because it's really a single party (the Endless War Party) but I've been greatly impressed by a number of new, younger Democratic voices, especially Ilhan Omar. Especially with her blunt, no-bullshit calling out of Elliot Abrams for being the warmongering, genocide-approving, spawn of Satan's shit he is. Hopefully she and AOC remain immune to the Establishment's corruption and more like those two continue to get and remain elected.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I vehemently oppose this two-party "system" because it's really a single party (the Endless War Party) but I've been greatly impressed by a number of new, younger Democratic voices, especially Ilhan Omar. Especially with her blunt, no-bullshit calling out of Elliot Abrams for being the warmongering, genocide-approving, spawn of Satan's shit he is. Hopefully she and AOC remain immune to the Establishment's corruption and more like those two continue to get and remain elected.
    I'm gonna move this over to the Trump thread since it's more current events than 2020.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I'm gonna move this over to the Trump thread since it's more current events than 2020.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if this thread was about Trump-specific stuff or current events in general.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if this thread was about Trump-specific stuff or current events in general.
    It's like a horrible amalgam of the two.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Mitch McConnel said that Trump will sign the funding bill but will also likely declare an emergency for the border wall. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Mitch McConnel said that Trump will sign the funding bill but will also likely declare an emergency for the border wall. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Bring on the legal challenges, but brace for impact. Trump and his ilk will want this to go before the Supreme Court because the numbers favor him. It'll take a while for it to get there, but yeah.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    This is fucking terrifying.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Brief summary of the challenges that can be mounted if fuckwad throws a tantrum: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is...e-border-wall/

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    JFC....Sanders' official announcement about the news came via a tweet, which in itself was a screenshot of the iPhone Notes app. I know this might bring analogies of people harping on Obama for wearing a tan suit...but, when you're going to declare a national emergency (a big fucking deal) over a made up reason (some racist bullshit), at least pretend that you're giving it the consideration and weighted thought that this sort of move deserves.

http://fortune.com/2019/02/14/sarah-...one-notes-app/

I'm in BC right now. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, reallllllllllllly want to just stay.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    If the supreme court allows this, then the next democrat president is gonna use a state of emergency to force either universal healthcare, climate change regulations, or gun control.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    If the supreme court allows this, then the next democrat president is gonna use a state of emergency to force either universal healthcare, climate change regulations, or gun control.
    No, they're not. Look at every time Republicans did some schoolyard bullshit to force their way, then look at what the Dems had to work with. They're not inclined to stoop to the same lows. I'm not saying they're perfect, but I'd bet my paycheck that the next Democratic president doesn't declare an emergency for any of those things.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    No, they're not. Look at every time Republicans did some schoolyard bullshit to force their way, then look at what the Dems had to work with. They're not inclined to stoop to the same lows. I'm not saying they're perfect, but I'd bet my paycheck that the next Democratic president doesn't declare an emergency for any of those things.
    The point is that it sets precedent so they CAN.

Presidents have declared national emergencies since forever.

See this: https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/08/12/pol....google.com%2F

George W. Bush declared 13 emergencies and Barack Obama declared 12 -- nearly all of which are still active today. Bill Clinton declared 17 national emergencies, six of which are still active. Ronald Reagan declared six and George H.W. Bush declared four -- but all of those have been revoked by now.
    However, a national emergency with MONEY (funding) is a different story.

My bet is the SCOTUS would strike down any Trump national emergency FUNDING because that move has been struck down already, several times.

See Truman for example and that emergency was the Korean War:

https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ng-korean-war/

“He cited his 1950 emergency proclamation in the executive order. The case was brought before the Supreme Court, which ruled that the president had no right to rule without consent of Congress, even during an emergency.”

I dunno, though; this could all REALLY backfire for Republicans, for SURE. It violates the funding provisions of the Constitution. If the SCOTUS upholds it, you bet your ass a Democratic President is going to use it. Rightfully so.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    which in itself was a screenshot of the iPhone Notes app.
    It was ghetto as hell. She even still had the stylus pointer on the screenshot, too.