Thread: Gun Talk - News, Laws, etc.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Yup, I am. After you remove all other forms of death (that the graphic incorrectly calls "murder") and factor in population... the difference is nowhere as large as your image tries to indicate. It's clear you want to hold on to any reason possible to "prove me wrong." You are now venturing into fabrication of my words. At this rate, you will be disagreeing with gun control because I agree with it.
    You say to factor in country population into the image about gunshot deaths? Ok.

(From Wikipedia)
    314,936,000 is the U.S. population.
    127,547,000 is the Japanese population.

If I were to double the Japanese population to fit the size of the U.S. population, and also double Japan's deaths by gunshot, that would equal up to 96 deaths. I could even add 1,000 more deaths just for the fuck of it and it still wouldn't come close to that 10,000+ total for the U.S.

The image said nothing about those stats being strictly homicides, and, to my knowledge, it isn't an optical illusion. I'd expect everybody to understand that suicides were a part of that stat. Did it need an asterisk stating that suicides were factored in? No, it should be common sense. If you assumed it was some kind of liberal trickery, that's your fault. Even if all of those gunshot deaths were suicides, it would still be a critical problem brought upon by lax gun laws. The point being made doesn't change.

Also, sorry to offend you by saying that you likely own a bible. I hit way below the belt with that comment. It was insensitive and tasteless for me to even begin to assume that you own both a gun and a bible. I'm sure there's no actual correlation between the two, and to even suggest such a think was a huge misstep on my part. I should stick to posting links for Willy Wonka meme's at an attempt at humor.

Go ahead and post more image macro's, though. They're surprisingly more effective than your words.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    suicides
    Suicide rates have very little to do with the topic of this thread (Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting) and you didn't include suicide rates of any other countries.

Gun control is going to have very little impact on suicide rates, this makes your goal flawed. This is my entire point: don't use horrible statistics, it discredits you.

Brady campaign actually has a nearly identical image that tries to call suicides "murders" http://i.imgur.com/tbFcj.jpg

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    But when the Reddit meme's and macro's start popping out, there's really nowhere to go but down.
    Interesting... cause i didnt post any until a few posts back and i posted them very facetiously. I'd say your posts went down hill way before that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Suicide rates have very little to do with the topic of this thread (Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting) and you didn't include suicide rates of any other countries.
    Nobody committed suicide in the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting? This is news to me.

Gun control is going to have very little impact on suicide rates, this makes your goal flawed. This is my entire point: don't use horrible statistics, it discredits you.
    From a study by the Journal of Trauma - http://bit.ly/UQZnCp (the NY Times also ran an article about the study)
    US residents of all ages and both sexes are more likely to die from suicide when they live in areas where more households contain firearms. A positive and significant association exists between levels of household firearm ownership and rates of firearm and overall suicide; rates of nonfirearm suicide were not associated with levels of household firearm ownership.
    Interesting... cause i didnt post any until a few posts back and i posted them very facetiously. I'd say your posts went down hill way before that.
    Just because I disagree with you and tell you to come up with better ways to support your claim, instead of comparing gun control to Chinese law and '20s-era prohibition, doesn't mean I'm being malicious. I've been very clear and articulate in addressing my criticisms with you. If the bible jab struck a nerve then I honestly apologize. But when you bring meme's and macro's to a serious discussion you're just begging for a derailment.