Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Fourth Estate (2018)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Fourth Estate (2018)

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Create Original Theme Music for The Fourth Estate

Academy Award winners Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have composed the original theme music for the highly anticipated new Showtime documentary series THE FOURTH ESTATE, directed and produced by Emmy(R)-winning and Oscar-nominated filmmaker Liz Garbus (What Happened, Miss Simone?). This marks the second time the duo have created music for Showtime programming, having appeared in the 18-part limited event series TWIN PEAKS performing the original song "She's Gone Away," which is featured on their 2016 album Not the Actual Events.

THE FOURTH ESTATE will have its world premiere as the closing night film of the Tribeca Film Festival this Saturday, April 28. Immediately following the screening at Tribeca will be a panel moderated by award-winning journalist Ann Curry featuring the filmmakers and series subjects, including: Dean Baquet, Executive Editor, The New York Times; Elisabeth Bumiller, Washington D.C. Bureau Chief, The New York Times; Mark Mazzetti, Washington Investigative Correspondent, The New York Times; Julie Davis, White House Correspondent, The New York Times; Liz Garbus, Executive Producer/Director, THE FOURTH ESTATE; and Jenny Carchman Producer/Co-Director, THE FOURTH ESTATE.

Examining the inner workings of The New York Times during President Donald J. Trump's first year in office, the four-part documentary series will be available across Showtime platforms including On Demand and streaming on Sunday, May 27. The first 90-minute episode of the series will debut on-air on May 27 at 7:30 p.m. ET/PT on SHOWTIME. Subsequent episodes will air on Showtime on Sunday nights at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
    Last edited by The Dead Rabbit; 04-27-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Let's hope for some tidbits regarding the score from the panel doing the screening.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Neat. Maybe it's time to fan-create a living playlist of TR/AR single track projects (Juno, Halloween, Call of Duty, The Fourth Estate, Fear the Walking Dead, Tetsuo, etc).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Shoot, I just posted about this in NIN spotting. Doesn't look like the trailer's been posted though, so here's a link.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Isn’t the “theme music” just the music playing during the opening credits?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN64 View Post
    Isn’t the “theme music” just the music playing during the opening credits?
    Usually, yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Neat. Maybe it's time to fan-create a living playlist of TR/AR single track projects (Juno, Halloween, Call of Duty, The Fourth Estate, Fear the Walking Dead, Tetsuo, etc).
    What about Fear the Walking Dead?????

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    What about Fear the Walking Dead?????
    Nine Inch Nails producer Atticus Ross wrote theme for Fear the Walking Dead

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...view-doc-trump

Describes the score as, "
    An apocalyptic score from Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor really drives home the “dear lord, the world is coming to an end” atmosphere, even when juxtaposed somewhat comically with the banality of typing and clicking.
    "

This one could be interesting, thanks to Bing for digging up this article since I'm not a Guardian visitor!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...view-doc-trump

Describes the score as, "
    An apocalyptic score from Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor really drives home the “dear lord, the world is coming to an end” atmosphere, even when juxtaposed somewhat comically with the banality of typing and clicking.
    "
    The score (minus the "theme music") was composed by H. Scott Salinas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't know that thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Has anyone heard this yet. I saw that it was streaming on Showtime?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Animal Kingdom if you count recycling 12 Rounds!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Missed a huge chunk of the premiere, but I heard 6 Ghosts I somewhere around the last 10-15 minutes and also 28 Ghosts IV about 45 minutes in. Gotta watch this on demand.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-27-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Phone recording of the theme here: https://clyp.it/gve1hdew

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I believe Trent & Atticus did more than just the theme as some Ghosts tracks were used and others sounded kinda like T&A's style.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Watching this tonight.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched all 4 parts on Showtime On Demand and more Ghosts tracks show up. I heard like five Ghosts tracks in Part 4 alone, including 3 Ghosts I, 7 Ghosts I, and 13 Ghosts II. Some of the Ghosts tracks have been reworked, like 13 Ghosts II had an added lead guitar.
    Last edited by neorev; 05-29-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What was the track playing during the credits of episode 2? Sounded like Trenticcus but nothing I recognized!

Also, I hope they officially release the theme song soon – I really like it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    What was the track playing during the credits of episode 2? Sounded like Trenticcus but nothing I recognized!

Also, I hope they officially release the theme song soon – I really like it!
    Yeah, sounds like Trenticcus to me. I wonder if they gave them some unheard Ghosts leftovers. I heard a couple of pieces that sounded very them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yeah, sounds like Trenticcus to me. I wonder if they gave them some unheard Ghosts leftovers. I heard a couple of pieces that sounded very them.
    They've been shopping around a dozen or so instrumentals to music supervisors, so it's possible the people who did this doc licensed one or two of those.

I love the theme song. Sounds like it's cut down from something bigger, I hope they make it available soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Caught the opening of The Fourth Estate last night, episode 3. Didn't know anything about TR & AR doing this, so it was a nice surprise. Nothing ground breaking, but the theme was good and gutted to see it's not available to buy yet. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure the first bit of soundtrack after the theme was TR & AR too. Didn't recognise it from Ghosts, but I've not heard that in a while so it may have been.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Was a quality version of this ever released?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've pulled the 5.1 AAC from the raw stream file, decoded to wav, downmixed to stereo and isolated the theme. I've saved the file as wav and flac for those that want them, and re-encoded to 320kbps mp3 as well for those that want convenience and don't care about any quality loss. PM me.

EDIT: For those interested, I've also added a 5.1 wav as well.
    Last edited by Tyson; 09-24-2018 at 12:45 PM.