Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    How do I "break down" an .m3u file? I want all the files out individually...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Random Tech Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    How do I "break down" an .m3u file? I want all the files out individually...
    Isn't an m3u file just a text file with a list of mp3 files by location?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have a MacBook Pro and the cursor is wigging out and moving all on its own without me having a single finger on the trackpad. I know it's not any malware or virus (I've scanned the system multiple times a day since I noticed this) but I am wondering what could be causing this to happen. I read somewhere that I have to reset my SMC but I wanna make sure that's what I have to do before proceeding...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Isn't an m3u file just a text file with a list of mp3 files by location?
    Thanks, that clears that misconception of mine about what those are. Follow-up question would be: How can I extract/separate the music files from a .rar that's just going straight to my VLC player as one playlist?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Random Tech Questions

Thanks, that clears that misconception of mine about what those are. Follow-up question would be: How can I extract/separate the music files from a .rar that's just going straight to my VLC player as one playlist?
    Uncompress the rar. I'd recommend using the 7z tool.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Uncompress the rar. I'd recommend using the 7z tool.
    That didn't end up working, for whatever reason... I'll revisit it sometime and make sure I didn't explain all of my situation as best I could. The situation is weird to me, because these darn files just show up in a VLC playlist to begin with, yet they're zipped? That's new to me. I have a feeling I may just not have unzipping stuff like this down on a Mac.

New question: I've got a few external hard drives, a couple of Western Digitals and one Seagate (probably insignificant information). I'm now realizing a key issue as everything on them came from when I was on PC, since I'm now on a MacBook Pro. I've dipped into Google for what looks to be the fix, but I can't risk losing anything on these externals when I go about formatting them in Disc Utility... I could go to my PC desktop and move stuff around before doing that, but I'd like to not have to.

Is there a way I can get to safely "writing" (do anything I want) to the externals from my MacBook Pro without erasing the stuff?
    Last edited by Amaro; 01-03-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    New question: I've got a few external hard drives, a couple of Western Digitals and one Seagate (probably insignificant information). I'm now realizing a key issue as everything on them came from when I was on PC, since I'm now on a MacBook Pro. I've dipped into Google for what looks to be the fix, but I can't risk losing anything on these externals when I go about formatting them in Disc Utility... I could go to my PC desktop and move stuff around before doing that, but I'd like to not have to.

Is there a way I can get to safely "writing" (do anything I want) to the externals from my MacBook Pro without erasing the stuff?
    It’s possible to put NTFS hard drives into read/write mode on a Mac, but you should really know what you’re doing (and what you’re getting into).

A safer (but not free) solution is Paragon NTFS.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    does anyone have a suggestion for a program or website I can use to rip streams off of sites like SoundCloud? I used to use offliberty but they don't seem capable of ripping from Soundcloud anymore.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend a good music player for windows 7?? I'm tired of using WMP and I hate itunes.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good music player for windows 7?? I'm tired of using WMP and I hate itunes.
    The last version of WinAMP is still floating around i believe, i used to use it ages ago and it was pretty good.

I use iTunes now though cause iPods.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    MusicBee or Foobar are great programs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    MusicBee or Foobar are great programs.
    Foobar was always my favorite on Windows. Sadly, there’s never been anything quite like it for Macs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks guys. I have been getting a lot of feedback on both Musicbee and Foobar so I'll try em both out. I think I remember using Musicbee at one point, but it kept crashing on me. WMP is just awful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ugh, can anyone tell me how to disable the charms bar in Windows 8? I've already gone into the Registry to disable it but it's still there...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    did twitter break

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    Did Twitter break?
    No, it didn't. (cleaned that up for you a bit)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Sorry, that was a bit bitchy of me...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Ugh, can anyone tell me how to disable the charms bar in Windows 8? I've already gone into the Registry to disable it but it's still there...
    Charms bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices > Corners and Edges.

Does that do it?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    No, it didn't. (cleaned that up for you a bit)
    I wrote it like that on purpose, haha. Yeah, it's back up. Apparently Ellen broke it.
    Last edited by bruised; 03-02-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Charms bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices > Corners and Edges.

Does that do it?
    Perfect! God Windows 8 is weird.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the Delete key just popped off my Macbook Pro... anyone know how to put this thing back on?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Pricing and comparing photo/doc scanners. Anyone have suggestions based on usage?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    edit: FIXED.
    Last edited by Demogorgon; 04-25-2014 at 05:37 AM. Reason: problem solved

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone got an iPad that is driving them mad? Everything was fine till I upgraded to ios5, now so many things refuse to work, if you try to scroll down at all on twitter or Facebook or read comments the browser just shuts down. Does ios7 fix things or do they just get worse if anyone has the same problems?

Wondering if I should just get a kindle

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Anyone got an iPad that is driving them mad? Everything was fine till I upgraded to ios5, now so many things refuse to work, if you try to scroll down at all on twitter or Facebook or read comments the browser just shuts down. Does ios7 fix things or do they just get worse if anyone has the same problems?
    Which generation?

Most of my problems with the iPad 1 were apps being shut down because of low memory. In a case like that, upgrading the OS could just make it worse — probably why the iPad 1 wasn't eligible for iOS6 at all. But every iPad since then has had more RAM (1GB for Retina and 512MB for non), and I don't think low memory errors are the biggest problem anymore.

But if you look in Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data and see logs called "LowMemory," check to see if any of those apps are listed with an indication they were shut down.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So my PS3 has had the YLOD for a few months now, but with patience I can actually get it started again (just sit there for 10-15 minutes alternating between pushing the power button and switching it off before it fails to boot, unplugging it from the machine and/or wall).

I'm getting quite sick of going through that process every time I want to play, and I generally only ever play GTA IV, GTA V and Doom BFG Edition these days and on the odd occasion just jump into a bit of Borderlands. I initially picked up the system second hand and it was a little worse for wear to begin with, but it's lasted me a few years now so I'm happy with what I've taken from it.

Now, I want to pick up a new system, the only thing is I don't want my PS3 games to go to waste. My question here is - which system should I go with? I've always been a Sony guy, never ventured into Xbox only because of the whole RROD and whatnot, but I'm open to suggestions and I'd be happy to make the jump. I wouldn't mind getting myself a new PS4 but the only other shit thing is that it's not backwards compatible with PS3 games.

Any input is appreciated

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @allegro Thanks for pointing me to the Smart Remote. That alone made me so happy about my purchase.
    Coincidentally, I have a Samsung TV and AV Receiver so it was very easy to setup. You kinda get used to all the remotes but I'll gladly take one smartphone to control them all!

I'll definitely let you know if I have some questions or problems.
    I just need to get rid of some old iphone habits like the double pressing of the home button to have a list of your opened apps.
    Anyways, so far I like it very much.

I don't all the hate from iphone users. I understand why you can prefer one to the other but it's not like the S5 is such an inferior product.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    @allegro I just need to get rid of some old iphone habits like the double pressing of the home button to have a list of your opened apps.
    Lower-left on the S5. You can force-close individual apps by swiping them to them to the right.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Lower-left on the S5. You can force-close individual apps by swiping them to them to the right.
    Quick one for you.
    On the iphone, when you want to put your phone on vibrate, there's a button on the side of the phone to toggle from ringtone to vibrate.
    There's no button the S5. Is there a way put this thing on vibrate without unlocking the screen?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Quick one for you.
    On the iphone, when you want to put your phone on vibrate, there's a button on the side of the phone to toggle from ringtone to vibrate.
    There's no button the S5. Is there a way put this thing on vibrate without unlocking the screen?
    Hmmmm, without unlocking the screen? I don't think so, no. After unlocking screen, use Quick Settings. Swipe the screen from top to bottom with one finger. See "Vibrate" at the top, scroll right to left to see the buttons along top. Swipe down with two fingers, you can customize the Quick Settings buttons. Personally, I hated the button on the side of the phone because I accidentally hit it a few times and didn't know it.

Last edited by allegro; 09-22-2014 at 04:51 PM.