Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2580

Thread: General Police Misconduct aka Murdering Black People

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    The Gay Pride Parade is the Gay Pride Parade. BLM has no business hijacking a TORONTO parade anyways. WRONG country.
    Black Lives Matter is an international movement, not just in the U.S.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Im really not denying police brutality in the United States against African Americans.
    That video of Philadro is horrific and upset me and disturbed me deeply.

Im just questioning some of BLM tactics.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    As a gay man fuck you....your so narrow minded. Simply Questioning BLM tactics means im racist...fuck you
    You are spouting propaganda. I support Pride, I have given my time freely to help with events around the Village to welcome people visiting our city for the celebration. I went to City Hall and protested that shitheel bigot mayor we once had for snubbing the Pride flag-raising. I am very protective of all my Queer friends and family. The parade is a focal point of media attention and they invited BLM to march as guests of honour, what were they expecting?

@cashpiles Once again, if you pretend this is not a Canadian issue, you are completely wrong, and guess what—THEY DO HAVE THEIR OWN MARCHES, from stopping the Gardiner Expressway two years ago to camping in front of the Toronto Police headquarters in the freezing cold, it's an ongoing process and won't stop until people listen to them. If anything, the only thing that disappoints me about BLMTO is that the response has been primarily hashtag activism, which is not enough to help further their demands. They are great at getting publicity, but things are not getting substantively better for Black people here in Canada as a result of this.

Look at carding, still the unchallenged policy of Toronto police. Look at the worryingly rapid increase in incarceration for Black Canadians, and the abuse they suffer in prisons. Look at horrendous rates of child poverty and education in Black Canadian communities. Look at the zero Black faces in our country's Cabinet that supposedly 'looks like' Canada. Yes, the Gay community has made great strides in this country and they did that by demanding change for their people, as BLM is doing now.
    Last edited by botley; 07-11-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But it was the UNsafest city in the country for a while
    Compared to Detroit and Chicago and D.C. and Baltimore?

You know that big pretty white bridge?
    HERE is better data.

Here's Detroit

Here's Chicago

Here's Baltimore

Here's Washington D.C.

Here's Milwaukee

See also this.

BOTTOM LINE is that this recent terrible shooting incident in Dallas was most likely due to a guy who was mentally ill, maybe even due to PTSD from the military. He evidently wrote some stuff in his own blood on the walls of the parking garage.

The killings of five officers came as a horrific shock to Johnson's parents -- especially because the Army veteran had wanted to be an officer when he was younger, his mother said.

"He loved his country," Delphine Johnson said in an interview with The Blaze. "He wanted to protect his country."

But his demeanor and attitude changed drastically after his six-year military service, which included seven months in Afghanistan, Johnson's mother told The Blaze. She said he morphed from a gregarious extrovert to a "hermit."

The gunman's father, James Johnson, said his son started delving into black history after he was honorably discharged last year. But he had no clue
    Last edited by allegro; 07-12-2016 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Well, I'll be double-motherfucking-dog-goddamned...

PERHAPS THE MOST BADASS, PROACTIVE STATEMENT I'VE HEARD ON THIS SHIT YET.

AND OMFG IT'S FROM A BLACK COP.

IF YOU CAN'T
    BEAT 'EM, JOIN EM,

MOAR, PLZ

Last edited by Hazekiah; 07-12-2016 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    That's nice and all but will do nothing to fix systemic anti-Black prejudice on the force. The Black community is afraid for their lives and the message couldn't be clearer that a complete cultural change is necessary not just 'fewer bad apples'.
    Last edited by botley; 07-12-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That's nice and all but will do nothing to fix systemic anti-Black prejudice on the force. The Black community is afraid for their lives and the message couldn't be clearer that a complete cultural change is necessary not just 'fewer bad apples'.
    What would happen if all police officers were black? If that didn't solve the problem, then we'd see thst race wasn't the issue.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    What would happen if all police were unicorns?

Fact is that they aren't. So let reality set in.

These What If? scenarios do not work.
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-12-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    "The police" aren't the root of the problem; institutionalized racism is the problem. The fact that a huge percentage of the public thinks the status quo is okay and that the cops are always right is the problem. The Blue Wall where cops protect cops and never admit fault is the problem. The lack of disciplinary action against bad cops is the problem. The police culture is corrupt, our culture is racist, and we have some hard work ahead of us.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-12-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    What would happen if all police officers were black? If that didn't solve the problem, then we'd see thst race wasn't the issue.
    It does not fix anything or make things better, if anything if makes it worse.
    Part I of the report, which begins on page three, begins with what the union feels is the root of many of the problems in the department - discriminatory hiring and promotion practices which routinely elevate comparably qualified, and even less qualified white officers over black officers and recruits. The higher up you go in the department, the report details, the whiter and whiter it gets.
    Part II of the report, which begins on page 43, details critical flaws in how the department views crime in the city, approaches staffing for specialized teams, and has failed to address root problems.
    Part III of the report, which begins on page 56, is perhaps the most damning. It details how white officers within the department who have been accused of murder and other crimes have been given better and more preferential treatment than black officers accused of relatively petty offenses.
    It's exactly what allegro and botley are talking about.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2702852

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Compared to Detroit and Chicago and D.C. and Baltimore?
    Yes, back in the early 00's, and it went on for a few years before the supposed misunderstandings in data reporting protocol.
    Back then, i called bullshit on the statistic reporting "mistakes," but who knows?

But this is drift, and i certainly agree with your bottom line.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "The police" aren't the root of the problem; institutionalized racism is the problem. The fact that a huge percentage of the public thinks the status quo is okay and that the cops are always right is the problem. The Blue Wall where cops protect cops and never admit fault is the problem. The lack of disciplinary action against bad cops is the problem. The police culture is corrupt, our culture is racist, and we have some hard work ahead of us.
    Furthermore, the good cops that do report corruption and excessive force by fellow officers receive retaliation in the form of termination, arrest or involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes, back in the early 00's, and it went on for a few years before the supposed misunderstandings in data reporting protocol.
    Back then, i called bullshit on the statistic reporting "mistakes," but who knows?
    Well and notice that the article didn't cite any sources. Detroit news articles used to do the same shit, to incite negative attitudes about Detroit; drove me nuts, "say bad shit about Detroit" instead of positive shit, always perpetuating bad press and bad information and digging itself into a hole which does nobody any good. Like there is some Award for Shit Hole and everybody can be proud, and they don't want to get out of that Shit Hole.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Well and notice that the article didn't cite any sources. Detroit news articles used to do the same shit, to incite negative attitudes about Detroit; drove me nuts, "say bad shit about Detroit" instead of positive shit, always perpetuating bad press and bad information and digging itself into a hole which does nobody any good. Like there is some Award for Shit Hole and everybody can be proud, and they don't want to get out of that Shit Hole.
    Jim Schutze is one of my favorite dallas writers though. He writes for the alternative weekly.
    I would bet that his intentions were to alert people to the situation and then look for ways to rise above it.
    If you lived in dallas and were into city politics, i think he would be your favorite writer too, @allegro

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The parade is a focal point of media attention and they invited BLM to march as guests of honour, what were they expecting?

@cashpiles Once again, if you pretend this is not a Canadian issue, you are completely wrong, and guess what—THEY DO HAVE THEIR OWN MARCHES, from stopping the Gardiner Expressway two years ago to camping in front of the Toronto Police headquarters in the freezing cold, it's an ongoing process and won't stop until people listen to them. If anything, the only thing that disappoints me about BLMTO is that the response has been primarily hashtag activism, which is not enough to help further their demands. They are great at getting publicity, but things are not getting substantively better for Black people here in Canada as a result of this.

Look at carding, still the unchallenged policy of Toronto police. Look at the worryingly rapid increase in incarceration for Black Canadians, and the abuse they suffer in prisons. Look at horrendous rates of child poverty and education in Black Canadian communities. Look at the zero Black faces in our country's Cabinet that supposedly 'looks like' Canada. Yes, the Gay community has made great strides in this country and they did that by demanding change for their people, as BLM is doing now.
    I didn't know about the justice system's racism in Canada... but as for the BLM being invited to the Pride March as "honored guests" ... this is false. They showed up to the parade unannounced.. stopped the parade for 30 minutes and handed the leadership a list of demands that included a statement that they be represented as honored guests.. only when the membership agreed to their demands did the parade resume.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    BLM being invited to the Pride March as "honored guests" ... this is false. They showed up to the parade unannounced.. stopped the parade for 30 minutes and handed the leadership a list of demands that included a statement that they be represented as honored guests.
    That is entirely at odds with what what the executive director of Pride Toronto claims happened, and I don't have reason to disbelieve him. You should read up more on this before spouting further misinformation, and I don't mean from out-of-touch columnists in dying newspapers writing clickbait.
    Last edited by botley; 07-13-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.
    To me, that's not nearly enough data.

Edit:
    Ah, yeah:

The counterintuitive results provoked debate after the study was posted on Monday, mostly about the volume of police encounters and the scope of the data. Mr. Fryer emphasizes that the work is not the definitive analysis of police shootings, and that more data would be needed to understand the country as a whole.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-14-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fun with cherry-picking! Discredit overwhelming trends by emphasizing isolated examples unrelated to the wider movement. These are . Don't buy into that nonsense.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah the reddit thread that this article sparked was as pretty and peaceful as a leprous dog fight. Nasty bits flying all around, no one came clean out of that one...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    reddit thread
    Well, there's your problem right there

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Well, there's your problem right there

Yeah I know, once you stray away for little " potatos with funny faces" subs, it's becoming a shithole. Hell, even very specialized subs tend to drift into "pompous and petty arguments about taxonomy and rhetoric" real fast. Main subs, especially news ones, are just a fucking mess nowadays.
    I love humanity, but by god I'm really starting to loathe people.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah I know, once you stray away for little " potatos with funny faces" subs, it's becoming a shithole. Hell, even very specialized subs tend to drift into "pompous and petty arguments about taxonomy and rhetoric" real fast. Main subs, especially news ones, are just a fucking mess nowadays.
    I love humanity, but by god I'm really starting to loathe people.
    I saw this article about empathy linked on Twitter and I loved it, thought it is so true (and it seems so lacking online these days).

The brother she mentions in the article was Harris Wittels.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I saw this article about empathy linked on Twitter and I loved it, thought it is so true (and it seems so lacking online these days).

The brother she mentions in the article was Harris Wittels.
    Which allows me to segue back smoothly on the topic at hand : If people stop being brutal assholes because of peer pressure/review, does it fix the problem ? They're still toxic, destructive shitheads.
    It's good that you can correct and prevent negative action, but you're still dealing with potentially nasty creatures at heart. Left to their own devices, people will just ruin each other's life, sometimes just for the heck of it.
    I don't know, I guess I just shouldn't think too hard about people nowadays.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Which allows me to segue back smoothly on the topic at hand : If people stop being brutal assholes because of peer pressure/review, does it fix the problem ? They're still toxic, destructive shitheads.
    It's good that you can correct and prevent negative action, but you're still dealing with potentially nasty creatures at heart. Left to their own devices, people will just ruin each other's life, sometimes just for the heck of it.
    Yeah, it's a tough call, whether or not we can "fix" people who are racist. But if the whole SYSTEM changes, maybe those racists will eventually die off by attrition?

The "good" thing is how many people out there, of all backgrounds, really want change.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-14-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Slightly off topic but your comment reminded me of the Stanford prison experiment that took place in the 1970's and somewhat reinforces your point.

It's a really good short documentary that I highly recommend everyone watches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment

And back on topic.
    Killer Mike's Challenge has succeeded in 5 days.
    In my opinion this is a big step for the change that people want and is needed.
    It reinforces that they have the power to change the system.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    oh crap, my bad, I had both threads open

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    As a gay man fuck you....your so narrow minded. Simply Questioning BLM tactics means im racist...fuck you
    As a gay man fuck you too. You don't speak for our whole god damn community.
    Hell, I can top you. As a gay trans man who is of middle eastern heritage, you can fuck right off. There, is that how it works? Do we get to tell people to fuck off just because we don't want to listen to them?