Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    If all they have is one trick... sure, stick with it. Thankfully, Trent is about as varied as they come. He has something to offer to nearly everyond.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Is this a midlife crisis thing where you're trying to relive your youth and Trent isn't cooperating?
    Sprinkled with a whole lot of passive aggressive racism and sexism, and you have a very frustrated bro.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Right on @theimage13 . I'm glad NIN has matured right along with me. I got tired of trying to measure concerts in bruises.

To each their own when attending concerts, but I much prefer the approach that rewards the viewer over the thrasher.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    All this talk about how Tension proved Trent has matured and grown and moved past his angry stage is ironic considering how he has scrapped the backup singers and Tension production and by his own admission has gone back to a more "aggressive" show and also by his own admission is having more fun on this current leg of touring as any other leg thus far...I guess he is "regressing" and not "being mature" anymore based on some of you people's definitions....I can't argue with people who think "Everything" is better than any song on 'The Fragile"...I take it all back. The gospel singers were amazing, they added a lot to the shows. Me and the rest of the 1994 NIN lovers need to take off our leather pants and combat boots and embrace the mature Trent
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 04-07-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    scrapped the backup singers and Tension production and by his own admission has gone back to a more "aggressive" show
    Pretty sure this has more to do with costs traveling to "other" sides of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I live in the Toronto Canada area, so I taped the ACL broadcast off a Detroit non HD channel and the whole show Robins mix was way in the back. Very weird hearing the concert like that... I do have an HD buffalo PBS station that will be airing the program later in the week, so I'll have to tape that one.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Me and the rest of the 1994 NIN lovers need to take off our leather pants and combat boots and embrace the mature Trent
    I wear combat boots and black clothes to the shows, with my mohawk up, and I loved the backup singers. Don't lump any group of NIN fans in with yourself, Bill.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    I got tired of trying to measure concerts in bruises.
    That is actually an excellent live DVD title!

Measuring Concerts In Bruises: Nine Inch Nails Live

Hand Covers Bruise: Nine Inch Nails Still

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I wear combat boots and black clothes to the shows, with my mohawk up, and I loved the backup singers. Don't lump any group of NIN fans in with yourself, Bill.
    I'm the bearded dude carrying the case of PBR on my scooter and I loooooooooove Broken.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And don't forget about the long time NIN fans who like aggressive NIN but never dressed or looked like the "typical" fan. We may joke about the goofy looking fans, but I'm definitely glad that being a NIN fan these days does not come with an associated "look".

(BTW, I suggest again that people use the board's block function.)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    All this talk about how Tension proved Trent has matured and grown and moved past his angry stage is ironic considering how he has scrapped the backup singers and Tension production and by his own admission has gone back to a more "aggressive" show and also by his own admission is having more fun on this current leg of touring as any other leg thus far...I guess he is "regressing" and not "being mature" anymore based on some of you people's definitions....I can't argue with people who think "Everything" is better than any song on 'The Fragile"...I take it all back. The gospel singers were amazing, they added a lot to the shows. Me and the rest of the 1994 NIN lovers need to take off our leather pants and combat boots and embrace the mature Trent
    You don't need to embrace anything, but if you don't like what it's changed into, don't spend your life bitching about it. Find something else that you do like instead of getting hung up on being angry at someone else leaving you behind. It's unhealthy. Seriously. This isn't me trying to be a dick or make fun of anyone. Don't dwell on something you don't like, life's too short for that bullshit.

And regarding your metal analogy: if you're going to stay in the business for decades, your music should carry a heavy emphasis on who you are, not who you were. If you're not an angry, "nobody likes me and you can all go fuck yourselves" young adult, don't try to act like it. Trent's a grown man who has overcome drugs and alcohol and gone from being unable to stand upright and remember his own words to winning a freaking Oscar. I appreciate the fact that he's hiring world class musicians to perform with him and writing songs that aren't just based on loud guitars and screaming. I'm not saying you should throw out your old catalog. But living in the past is a bad idea, regardless of who you are. Let me put it to you this way: as much as I loved hear Last performed live back in '09, all it did was fill a small part of who I used to be as a teenager. But In This Twilight? I tear up a little bit every time I hear a live recording of that.

Okay, back on topic. HD rip downloaded from Dime; eager to put this on the TV and finally see what all the fuss is about!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I'm the bearded dude carrying the case of PBR on my scooter and I loooooooooove Broken.
    to be clear: I'm joking.

I don't actually have a beard.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Did anyone hear the guy yell, "play Free Bird"? I lol'd. Can't remember at what part.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm the short, curvy Hispanic chick at the SoCal shows. Wait, that demographic is 2/3 of all SoCal NIN shows.... lol

I don't know if I should download the show on Dime or wait for RITC to up the show.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Clapping bro during Sanctified bothers me. In fact, I hate all clappers at shows.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anyone got a rip from the PBS site? I'm at work, streaming sucks ass, and the torrents are waaaayyyyy too big to snag at work.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Anyone got a rip from the PBS site? I'm at work, streaming sucks ass, and the torrents are waaaayyyyy too big to snag at work.
    I doubt that people are going to take the time to rip the stuff that isn't web exclusive. At best (after you give them an email address), the stream is 480p. The recording on dime is 1080i.

I'm hoping that another recording surfaces. The one on dime is from PBS SoCal, which is the station that I also recorded from. I assumed that the glitches in CBH were from my recording, but they show up there too... so it must have been the source.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicmuse View Post
    I doubt that people are going to take the time to rip the stuff that isn't web exclusive. At best (after you give them an email address), the stream is 480p. The recording on dime is 1080i.

I'm hoping that another recording surfaces. The one on dime is from PBS SoCal, which is the station that I also recorded from. I assumed that the glitches in CBH were from my recording, but they show up there too... so it must have been the source.
    I'm glad you said that because I noticed it too. I thought it was just me except that I noticed it was during CBH but also during the clips of CBH in the intro. That seemed like an odd coincidence to me but I've been busy and forgot to post asking if anyone else noticed lol.

That and I haven't even gotten the chance to watch the whole thing yet.

Edited to add this is the Philly station.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm glad you said that because I noticed it too. I thought it was just me except that I noticed it was during CBH but also during the clips of CBH in the intro. That seemed like an odd coincidence to me but I've been busy and forgot to post asking if anyone else noticed lol.

That and I haven't even gotten the chance to watch the whole thing yet.

Edited to add this is the Philly station.
    Bah. That means that it was the PBS source and not PBS SoCal. In that case, I think we have to wait for a rebroadcast.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    If it was doing it during the performance of the song and during the clips of it on the intro, I think it's the master source not pbs.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    That's it. I'm convinced billpulsipher is Courtney Love. It's so blatantly obvious. The obsession with the old Trent. The hatred of Lisa and Charlotte and Mariqueen (how dare other women get between her and Trent!). The fact that she's getting the 1994 Hole lineup back together just to throw it in Trent's face. It all makes sense now!

So now that we've figured it out, can we ignore Billy Boy/Courtney like most of the world already does?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 04-07-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Great, great performance. For the first time, I noticed how incredible Pino's playing is during the breakdown of "Copy of a." Definitely a highlight for me.

And I never noticed that Ilan is on guitar during most of "While I'm Still Here" - what part is he playing? I also love that lead Josh plays during the 'watch young lovers walking by' section. It sounds amazing - great sound. It's a synth doing that part on the album, no? Maybe not...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's it. I'm convinced billpulsipher is Courtney Love. It's so blatantly obvious. The obsession with the old Trent. The hatred of Lisa and Charlotte and Mariqueen (how dare other women get between her and Trent!). The fact that she's getting the 1994 Hole lineup back together just to throw it in Trent's face. It all makes sense now!

So now that we've figured it out, can we ignore Billy Boy/Courtney like most of the world already does?
    Bill also keeps insisting that the new Soundgarden album was poorly reviewed when it's been shown to him that it wasn't. Was there ever a feud between Courtney and Soundgarden?

Has Bill ever mentioned Marilyn Manson on these forums? I remember the Manson/Hole tour ending poorly.

You may be onto onto something though.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Bill also keeps insisting that the new Soundgarden album was poorly reviewed when it's been shown to him that it wasn't. Was there ever a feud between Courtney and Soundgarden?
    I have no proof, so I'm going to say yes.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 04-07-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    If it was doing it during the performance of the song and during the clips of it on the intro, I think it's the master source not pbs.
    I don't think that it's the master tape. I checked the video online for Survivalism and it was glitch free. I would have thought that they'd have used the same source for both. But I'm not a video guru.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicmuse View Post
    I don't think that it's the master tape. I checked the video online for Survivalism and it was glitch free. I would have thought that they'd have used the same source for both. But I'm not a video guru.
    But it was only CBH. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed it was during the performance of CBH and also during the clip of CBH at the intro of the show. But everything else was fine. It's a minor complaint. And CBH sounded great (with a cool surround effect in the song). It was just some weird pixelation. I'll have to double check if it was the exact same parts of the song between the actual performance and the intro.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    But it was only CBH. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed it was during the performance of CBH and also during the clip of CBH at the intro of the show. But everything else was fine. It's a minor complaint. And CBH sounded great (with a cool surround effect in the song). It was just some weird pixelation. I'll have to double check if it was the exact same parts of the song between the actual performance and the intro.
    Sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it, but did you compare with the CBH video online on the PBS site or Vimeo?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    Sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it, but did you compare with the CBH video online on the PBS site or Vimeo?
    I checked PBS online. It's not there. Also, there are glitches in places other than CBH; CBH was just the most egregious. There's pixelation at 1:15 (girl in in a tank top on a bike) and 15:15 (Copy of A). I know that I'm being anal retentive about this... I just want the best quality that I can get.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    No but to be honest , I actually forgot about it until someone else mentioned it. Like I said, it's not a huge deal and I don't want to make it bigger than it is. It was just something I noticed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks. I was more asking for the sake of investigating where the glitches (or encoding artifacts maybe?) originated. I guess we know that there is some video without the glitch, but we don't know if the glitchy video was the only one broadcasted on TV.