Page 144 of 181 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,320 of 5427

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I got my TRS-80 for free from local curbside scavenging. No cassette drive so it was all real time. Unplug it and all was lost! No way to save programs. But it got me hooked, and a few years later I bought a brand new 8088 computer with a 5.25 floppy drive. And shortly after that, I got me a super fast 300 baud Hayes modem which was top of the line, and allowed me to dial into local BBSs.

Things evolved as they tend to do, and I was an early participant in CompuServe, Prodigy, and AOL; where I volunteered as a Host and Guide in exchange for free connect time. Since AOL charged by the minute for connect time, this was a big deal. Prior to volunteering my monthly dial up bill was often over 1K.

AOL in the early days was just so much fun! I was in the chat room "People Connection" when we invented LOL, and many other terms, some of which are now lost to time. And I met my wife in an AOL chat room over 27 years ago. They told us that online romance could never last. But here we are!
    LOL, we might have ran into each other online in those days. I was on BBSs and Usenet, dialing into UNIX systems like M-Net in Ann Arbor, then I started dialing into Chicago systems, via PC Pursuit for Telenet. Then I met my first husband on Chinet. I was mostly using a Compaq portable from work with dual-floppies and no hard drive, and a 1200 bd modem, LOL. I learned UNIX, vi editor, etc. which I still remember and can use, today.

It's funny how these things evolve. My ex-husband had a brand new AT&T 3b2 400 that was a BIG DEAL at the time, and it cost a fucking fortune. Now, my IPHONE is more powerful.

Last edited by allegro; 06-14-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @allegro Remember this?

LOL yeah, you remember THIS??

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    Oh wow, I haven't thought about that for the longest time. That show was AWESOME! I loved it when they had ballroom dancers. They were my favorite!

And now, I can't stop singing the theme of American Bandstand. Damn you, Dick Clark!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    ^^
    Oh wow, I haven't thought about that for the longest time. That show was AWESOME! I loved it when they had ballroom dancers. They were my favorite!

And now, I can't stop singing the theme of American Bandstand. Damn you, Dick Clark!
    Aw, man, every Saturday! Then, later that afternoon ... SOUL TRAIN!

Last edited by allegro; 06-13-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sarah and i just took a ride to drop off a dremel for my friend who needs to shorten a table, and while we were stopped at a light, the car next to us was BLASTING “fuck tha police” and i could not stop smiling, especially because we were near the lakefront where cops are all over the place

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sarah and i just took a ride to drop off a dremel for my friend who needs to shorten a table, and while we were stopped at a light, the car next to us was BLASTING “fuck tha police” and i could not stop smiling, especially because we were near the lakefront where cops are all over the place
    I'm about to go to the store in this little redneck town, rocking an Ice Cube shirt.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm about to go to the store in this little redneck town, rocking an Ice Cube shirt.
    you be careful with that! don't want to get a cap in your ass, haha.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    you be careful with that! don't want to get a cap in your ass, haha.
    lololol.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I love C&H.

I'm just sad that so many people who loved it didn't learn anything from it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so i just saw a tweet from ice cube talking about some "black cube" and "saturn" thing and people are saying it's anti-semitic (and that he's been anti-semitic since around the time NWA broke up) and i'm...very confused. i know you know about conspiracy theories and stuff, so wtf is this thing?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so i just saw a tweet from ice cube talking about some "black cube" and "saturn" thing and people are saying it's anti-semitic (and that he's been anti-semitic since around the time NWA broke up) and i'm...very confused. i know you know about conspiracy theories and stuff, so wtf is this thing?

WELL, ok. I'll go ahead and say what I know.

The idea is that the "black cube" represents Saturn, which, in turn, represents Satan.

The six pointed star, aka Solomon's Seal, or, a hexagram, is an old, old occult symbol: that much is true.

A lot of "truthers" think that the majority of modern Jews, often referred to as Zionists, aren't the REAL, original Jews, and are, instead, part of a luciferian conspiracy.

The Rothschild family is often put into this bracket, and considered to be like, the architects of the illuminati.

And THEN, you've got the Nation of Islam, which is NOT regular Islam. I don't want to get into all that here, but there's Louis Farrakhan, and the 5% Nation. A lot of rappers support it. It's a fairly new religion, that, to me, sort of seems like a protest religion. I'm really not qualified to speak on it, though.

But, it sort of comes down to old school Muslim vs Jew, which has been going on for hundreds of years, you know?

Rappers, from Busta Rhymes, to the Fugees, to Jay-Z, Wu Tang, A Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Public Enemy...the list goes on and on...support this version of Islam to varying degrees.

Ice Cube has always supported Farrakhan.

I don't agree with it, and I'm DAMN sure not antisemitic, but, i still listen to these artists and understand WHY they might embrace these teachings.

My Ice Cube shirt, for the record, is not meant to endorse any antisemitism
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-14-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I dunno but he also tweeted this which is definitely anti-Semitic. People are trying to make excuses for him, like he “didn’t know,” but that’s bullshit.

Jeez this isn’t very cheery.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I dunno but he also tweeted this which is definitely anti-Semitic. People are trying to make excuses for him, like he “didn’t know,” but that’s bullshit.

Well, yeah.

He supports Farrakhan and the 5% Nation.

I guess it's sort of an open secret in rap?

It's why Rakim is the "God MC."

It's why Erykah Badu says "they don't believe in god, but they fear us."

It's a version of Islam wherein 5% of black people are literally God.

And they see Jews as enemies, as many Muslims do.

Idk. I obviously don't support the Nation of Islam.

I gave them a donation once, though, when they knocked on my door, when I was living in a black neighborhood. And they saw that I was white, and still went on with their pitch. And I said "damn. So you guys want ME for the Nation? And they said "no, but you can learn The Truth."

And I gave them $10 for having the balls to do that, lolol.

Yeah, all of this shit is messy.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Here. This should explain a lot: a Wikipedia entry on the antisemitism of the Nation of Islam, which was supported by a LOT of the rappers we grew up with.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...d_antisemitism

EDit: ok, yeah. Lack of cheerfulness over. We've got plenty of other threads for racial.tension and such.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-14-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    woof. sorry to derail the thread.

here's a cheerful thing: if you want a REALLY bad movie to just relentlessly make fun of, watch Artemis Fowl on Disney+. it is so abhorrent it's ridiculous. i gave it 1/2 a star in my lettrboxd review. it shouldn't make me happy that a movie is that bad, but all i can do is laugh at it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well, yeah.

He supports Farrakhan and the 5% Nation.
    Ice Cube has also been posting QAnon shit and Russian propaganda. He’s an idiot.

Ice Tea is also an idiot has been doing similarly dumb shit.

Must be some Ice thing.

Malcolm X broke from the Nation of Islam in 1964.

Cheers me up:

I got PBS Passport and I’ve been binge-watching Downton Abbey (again) every night,

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Ron Perlman vs. Matt Gaetz.

Love it.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Ice Cube has also been posting QAnon shit and Russian propaganda. He’s an idiot.

Ice Tea is also an idiot has been doing similarly dumb shit.

Must be some Ice thing.

Malcolm X broke from the Nation of Islam in 1964.

Cheers me up:

I got PBS Passport and I’ve been binge-watching Downton Abbey (again) every night,
    We can be cheerful that a lot of people seem to follow Malcom X in that direction, and become regular Muslims, as they get older, like Mos Def.

When you actually look into the Nation of Islam, it's a fucking spaceship religion, where the former prophets are on a spaceship.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Sesquipedalism , I had an "Irish twin" brother, and we rented a lot of competitive NES games.

But, aside from that, yeah: with the old eight bit, it helped that the games were goddamn near impossible:
    Contra, Ghosts and Goblins, Castlevania, Mega Man, Gunsmoke. I DEFINITELY know what you mean about playing the same few games.

And then we had Tecmo Bowl, Goal, Super Dodgeball, Pro Wrestling: all of these provided endless hours of fighting for honor.

And then, there were games like RC Pro Am and Punch Out that never got old.

It was also fun to trade games with other kids in the neighborhood.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    We watched Artemis Fowl last night because a) we haven't watched a movie in months and b) it was short enough for the time we had. We were all in a bad mood for different reasons so I picked this movie because I figured if it were that terrible then we'd have a good time. I'd give it a 2.5/5 for it's effect on the three of us: I actively hated it but didn't say anything, my son vacillated between picking it apart and enjoying the visuals, and my wife was on her ipad and said at the end "well that was fun!" and I'm not sure what she was referring to.

The fact that entire scenes were "exposition: the movie!" really rubbed me the wrong way. The fact that the actors were so wooden - I know the script was tripe and that's what they had but come on! - and just sounded like they were reciting something they had memorized like five minutes ago didn't fill me with any hope. I thought the trailers just showed an affectation for the characters but no it was clear it was the actors and the content.

I will not go on because this is the cheer you up thread. Indeed, if you want to see a movie that is terrible and you have friends who can watch it with you on Zoom or Facetime or whatever then by all means.

And if you want an actual good movie on Disney+ go with Timmy Failure. It's saccharine but cheerful. And I don't recommend it just because they filmed it in Portland and I recognize most of the places they visit.

aw, just seeing the trailer makes me want to watch it again. See, cheered me right up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @allegate did you read my review of artemis fowl?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Not yet.
    This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://letterboxd.com/eversonpoe/film/artemis-fowl/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

[COLOR=var(--error-code-color)]ERR_HTTP2_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY[/COLOR]
    I'll try when I get home.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Not yet.

I'll try when I get home.
    weird. i'll just paste the text here:

1/2 Star

I laughed exactly two times in this movie, and one of the jokes I laughed at was the same as a joke I had made within the first ten minutes (about Judi Dench looking like David Bowie).

The jaw stuff honestly made me feel like I was gonna barf. Like, wow.

Also, I have so many questions:

Why were the interrogation scenes in black and white? Why did Josh Gad and Judy Dench both sound like they were doing impressions of Dr. Klaw from Inspector Gadget? Why did the troll CGI look worse than that of the troll in the first Harry Potter film? What exactly was Artemis so good at? And most importantly, what kind of asshole of a therapist has glass doors that look from the waiting room into the office proper, where anyone can see in to the session you’re currently holding?

I don’t think I’ve ever despised a viewing experience quite as much as this one.
    i didn't even mention anything about the kid's inconsistent accent, or his lack of ability to properly emote.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ah yes, the gravelly voices. Josh Gad did have an aside about it that I wonder if it was an ad lib that was left in where he said something like "look at us grunting at each other like a bunch of hippos" or something to that effect. And while looking for a version of the quote I found this:

"After I read the book, I said to (director Kenneth Branagh) that this character literally consumes rock and soil. That would take a toll on his voice. Ken agreed. So this earthy, gravel voice came out of that. It just felt right. I didn't know Dame Judi made the same choice until we were interacting on set with each other. I made a joke in improv, 'Listen to the two of us grunting at each other.' I think that actually made the final cut, which is hilarious."
    The interrogation scenes were bad, yes. I didn't know what they were supposed to be for other than another version of exposition. The jaw thing was creepy and I wish they didn't wait for the end to be like "I hope you aren't squeamish" but the nose hair being used to crack that lock was worse almost.

I didn't know Kenneth Branagh directed this until the opening credits so I was shocked. It basically got to the point where I just started admiring the efforts of the parts surrounding the story instead of what was going on. The beautiful shots that were probably drones for example.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Three Great Blue Heron juveniles in one nest? That looks very crowded!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So I'm blown away by a strangers generosity today....

I deliver groceries for Instacart on the side, and I put a little piece of paper in the bags asking the customer to rate me 5-stars if they're happy and email me any feedback if they're unhappy.

One of my customer just etrasferred me an extra $100.....I'm blown away.....

I'm actually crying.....and this is the good kind of tears....

There is still good in the world. This is so nice. I really needed something nice to happen this week.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Surprise drop of a new Old 97s song, with video featuring Puddles Pity Party, and announcement of a new album on August 21.

This was the little alt country band I started going to see when I was 13, because my dad worked with their drummer.

I've been lifetime guestlisted, seen them at LEAST 70 times. Their music is a big ass part of the soundtrack of my life, but it's the SHOWS that have been so fucking CATHARTIC.

I'm THRILLED that I'll most likely get to catch a few shows next year, and can't wait for the album. At the same time, it's bitter sweet. It's called Twelfth, because it's their 12th studio LP, among several EPs and such.

So, it's also bittersweet: 13-40 for me, 20's to 50s for them....I get a little misty eyed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Got a decent scholarship and was accepted to an art school where I'll study fashion design. I wasn't happy with the situation at my current school, so I'm withholding excitement or optimism. I hope this new school will do something for me though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    My little brother and his wife are closing on a 75-acre wooded lot with a little one-bedroom cottage on it in the U.P. that they bought for dirt cheap, their little grandkids are up there. My brother just told me that he just found out that the property has an electric and sump hookup for an RV / trailer so it’s all set for G and I to go stay up there with them if we buy a little RV.

It’s about halfway between the Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste. Marie (“the Soo”), so that’s about 7 hours from us, but I’m pretty excited.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-11-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: iPhone typo