Page 136 of 150 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4492

Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jimmy has that little SOR drum set, and he's fucking awesome.

A LOT of why the Smashing Pumpkins is so good is because Jimmy is such a great drummer.

Last edited by allegro; 06-01-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so he just really likes to drum, huh? reminds me of Chad Smith and how he is a session drummer on top of the RHCP stuff.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Some discussion of the Machina reissue.

-When it turned out the fans (like myself) liked MII more than MI, he went back to Virgin asking to release them together, "they told him to take a walk".

-He reiterates that now everything is basically ready to go - 50 songs, 30 extra tracks - but the major factor holding things back is the vinyl shortage. Plants limiting how many can be ordered at one time, because the demand is so high. Wonder if that means the art is in the bag.

-"What's interesting about it is that the album is way more new wave, and kind of dark goth than even I remembered, at the time. Like, when you hear it all in sequence, it's a much moodier and prettier record, where you just listen to Machina 1, the album's a bit abrasive, and maybe overly dark. So there's something about this sequence that really illuminates what the album was really about. I think the hardcore fans know how important that work is, but I think amongst the normal people who don't really follow everything that we do, they'll finally understand how this..this is just as important a work from the band as some of our other important works. We're proud to put it out and we're literally just waiting on the vinyl shortage stuff."

-Wants to do more events like the Gish livestream in the future, mentioned SD is turning 30 soon...

-Talks about Zeitgeist for a bit. Didn't really see how much the world had changed in 2007 from 2000. They did not expect how much people wanted the whole original band back. "To simplify it, nothing less than Siamese Dream II would have made people happy."

Why is Zeitgeist not on streaming services? Because a) He felt it wasn't really getting the love it deserved b) It needs to be remixed - "it's a much heavier album than the way it was mixed". Does plan to eventually do a box of it and surrounding materials, has been talking to Sumerian about them releasing it. Does feel it's getting more love these days, with a lot of people bugging him to put it back out. Tons of unreleased tracks. Describes the demos for ZG as "really good, kind of reveal a part of the album that the album doesn't represent."

"It's a little weird to take off the guitar sometimes now and move around without it (in reference to there being 3 guitars live). I feel like I've turned into the guy from the Ava Adore video."

On pace to finish new album by the end of the year. "Personally, if I hand in the music Sept 1st, I sure hope we'd have a single out by Christmas." "Better than anything we've released recently, not to denigrate what we've done. When you say you're putting out a sequel to Mellon Collie and Machina, you really better step up and produce your best."
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 06-04-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Nice video. Billy actually answered something I've been tempted to try asking him via IG - how does it feel to just go and sing some old songs and NOT play guitar at the same time (Ava, Eye, possibly others)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm a Zeitgeist defender. The mixing destroys the album. I want another Pumpkins album on that level but properly recorded.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I'm a Zeitgeist defender. The mixing destroys the album. I want another Pumpkins album on that level but properly recorded.
    The songs and layers are there. Turn up Jimmy's drums in the mix because it's some of his best, increase dynamic range, turn the vocals way down so they balance more with the walls of guitars and blend in and it'd be a whole different experience. Oh, and put all the bonus tracks that were scattered about in the tracklist.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The songs and layers are there. Turn up Jimmy's drums in the mix because it's some of his best, increase dynamic range, turn the vocals way down so they balance more with the walls of guitars and blend in and it'd be a whole different experience. Oh, and put all the bonus tracks that were scattered about in the tracklist.
    Especially Ma Belle and Stellar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Machina vinyl is the only thing I want more (SP wise anyway) than a proper Zeitgesit reissue/remix

Zeitgeist was an album I didn’t enjoy when it came out and then a few years later realized there are good songs on it it’s just not mixed well.

and I’ve argued with a few fellow SP fans in the past about Machina I know it’s not their best album but it might have some of my favorite SP songs, and when I listen to it I feel like I can hear exactly the sound/mood he’s talking about, so I can’t wait to hear the finished product, finally...one day

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Personally, I like to put Superchrist at the start of Zeitgeist. I think it works much better as the album opener, then with Doomsday Clock as track 2 and so on. Superchrist kinda feels like it's setting the stage for what will follow. A properly mixed Superchrist would be a scorcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really hated Zeitgeist when it first came out but it has grown on me over the years. I think it is their best record to date post Machina I/II. If they remix it properly, it could have a resurgence. Billy saying "you really need to step it up" when he mentions the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel drives me up the wall. It's almost like he's admitting they half-assed the last few records. I was once a die hard Pumpkins fanatic, but everything since Zeitgeist just hasn't done it for me. Really curious what is up the sleeve, so to speak, for this sequel record.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkle50 View Post
    Billy saying "you really need to step it up" when he mentions the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel drives me up the wall. It's almost like he's admitting they half-assed the last few records.
    Not really. It's just that most of the recent albums were created with deliberate attempt to distance from the old band's sound. Billy was always getting butthurt over people demanding return of the old sound and now he is doing exactly that (but with a twist - calling it 'a mix of old and new', as if planting an excuse in case people hate this record too)
    Last edited by fillow; 06-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Not really. It's just that most the recent albums were created with deliberate attempt to distance from the old band's sound. Billy was always getting butthurt over people demanding return of the old sound and he is doing exactly that (but with a twist - calling it 'a mix of old and new', as if planting an excuse in case people hate this record too)
    Good point. Very possible that is what he's saying too. Just a strange thing to say I think.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed reading this Rolling Stone interview; pretty comprehensive on the 30th anniversary of Gish.

I bought Gish when it was released, and it's still the only Smashing Pumpkins album I own. And I still love it.

I'm glad to read that it was such an influence to so many artists.

An aside: G and I have been to ZuZu's. We particularly went for their first Comedy Night. Their plant-based empanadas are AMAZING. Chloe is one of the hardest-working people I've ever encountered, working behind the counter all night taking orders on Comedy Night. ZuZu's is interesting, I hope they are able to start having music there this summer.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-07-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I agree, great interview.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    -He reiterates that now everything is basically ready to go - 50 songs, 30 extra tracks - but the major factor holding things back is the vinyl shortage. Plants limiting how many can be ordered at one time, because the demand is so high. Wonder if that means the art is in the bag.
    Vinyl shortage holding back the Machina reissue, yet he manages to release this dumb 7" box set of half the album that was just released last year..

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Vinyl shortage holding back the Machina reissue, yet he manages to release this dumb 7" box set of half the album that was just released last year..
    Wow, that really seems like a completely pointless release, especially if you already bought the album on vinyl.

Also, so he can do a 5x 7" record release, each with its own artwork, all housed in a box for $65, but he's charging $70 for a simple 2LP set of an incomplete concert from 1992. If this doesn't show you how Billy is squeezing every dollar he can get from his hardcore fans. Just wait for the Machina boxset. He's really gonna price gouge fans with that one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I bet it was probably queued up to be pressed and released before the Machina reissue/remaster was done, and we're just getting it now because of the backlog

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    I bet it was probably queued up to be pressed and released before the Machina reissue/remaster was done, and we're just getting it now because of the backlog
    While this might be the case, it would not surprise me at all if he were using the vinyl shortage as a cover while artwork arrangements are worked out behind the scenes. He's been very quiet about the artwork for a good year now.

And yes, I don't get the point of that Cyr boxset either. For whatever that album is worth to you it really seems like something that should have come out months ago.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    And as far as price gouging on the Machina reissue goes, I'm fully expecting a charge of like $325 CAD/$250 USD or so for the vinyl set. MCIS was what, $130 USD for 4 LPs? 28 tracks total. Using that as a framework, you can guess that Machina will be 6-7 LPs if it contains nothing but the 50 regular tracks.

Price gouging or not, that thing is destined to be expensive and I can't wait to see people bitch about it

It'll probably be something obscene like $500 to get it autographed. Which I haven't decided whether I want or not.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Shuffle has given me "Mayonaise." Pure perfection, I feel spoiled to have seen it live.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Preorders for the next archive release go up on July 31 according to the various SP instagram accounts: Viper Room, 1998.

http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=601

Set 1:

Note: James Iha acoustic set

Be Strong Now
    One and Two
    Country Girl
    Sound of Love

Set 2:

Note: Billy Corgan acoustic set

To Sheila
    Perfect
    Let Me Give the World to You
    Jupiter's Lament (tease)
    Once Upon a Time
    Daphne Descends
    Ava Adore
    Crestfallen
    Set the Ray to Jerry (tease)
    Shame
    Tear
    Blissed and Gone
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 07-14-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Will the Machina reissue will still get a CD ressie?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Will the Machina reissue will still get a CD ressie?
    Still the plan as far as anyone knows. Cyr did. Seems to be the archive releases that are LP only.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Some updates from BC:
    - No Machina for 2021 (blames vinyl shortages). Looking good for next year.
    - Currently on song 31 of new record
    - Making setlists for upcoming shows. Some songs that weren't played for many years can be expected, also Cyr stuff
    - Had talks about releasing Zwan, Future Embrace and Zeitgeist ressues as well as previously unreleased Chicago Kid material via Sumerian records

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    found a vinyl copy of the Adore re-release at the local shop, kind of surprising because it was still sealed and he mostly deals in trades.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    A few other details from the last update I found interesting: He said that the new album has been getting weirder, darker, and spacier as they go, and mentioned that once they've gotten through the last 2 (33 total) songs, they're going to run through them all again before he adds vocals - he described the process as having been very hard and stressful, adding ""There's a bunch of stuff going on in Pumpkins world that's complicated. Not necessarily good, not necessarily bad, but just stressful and complicated."

It really seems like they're busting their balls on this one and really taking the time to try and get it right.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    A few other details from the last update I found interesting: He said that the new album has been getting weirder, darker, and spacier as they go, and mentioned that once they've gotten through the last 2 (33 total) songs, they're going to run through them all again before he adds vocals - he described the process as having been very hard and stressful, adding ""There's a bunch of stuff going on in Pumpkins world that's complicated. Not necessarily good, not necessarily bad, but just stressful and complicated."

It really seems like they're busting their balls on this one and really taking the time to try and get it right.
    Hopefully.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    madamezuzus.com/pages/viper-room-pre-order

Viper Room 98 2xLP
    $75 for either gold or silver editions, $125 autographed. So even more than the Japan 92. Great.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Got the silver one. Not bothering with autographs.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Got the silver one. Not bothering with autographs.
    Same, as did another friend of mine. Crazy we all went for silver, and even crazier that gold is already sold out.