Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Retro Games

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Hell yes. This was pretty much all I did in typing class, along with breaking into my high schools joke of a firewall lifting the block of these sites. Thankfully, never got caught .

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    there IS one decent Virtua Boy game, and it's kinda sad that it's trapped in this horrible console, but the Wario game is cool, and deserved better.
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern and the rest of you guys talking bad about the Virtual Boy:
    I don't think you guys were playing it right.

What you do is, take at least three or four pieces of blotter acid.

Then, you take the headset off of the tripod and put it on the floor.
    Make sure the room is completely dark, but keep a flashlight nearby for changing games.
    Connect the headphones.
    Lay on your stomach and stick your face in the thing, creating a sort of sensory deprivation.
    THAT'S the best way to use it.
    Holy god, I had borderline religious experiences doing that shit. I'd play galactic pinball for eight hours in the dark like that, along with Teleroboxer, Red Alarm, and all the others (I bought the system and all of the games for SUPER cheap, when they were on clearance.)
    Those are some of the fondest memories of my life.

And, while I mostly enjoyed that machine as an LSD toy, I played it clear headed on occasion. I don't understand why everyone hated it so much. The PRICE was absurd, but when I bought it, it was down to about $20 and the games were all $2 or $3. It was a hell of a lot of fun for what it was, especially with the aforementioned chemical enhancement
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-21-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    But, yes. Retro gaming. I DABBLE in new games. I have that Xbox One with gamepass that my homeboy bought for me. But, these new games: they just don't do it for me, for the most part.
    I have an Anbernic RG351P handheld that runs and has most games for everything up to and including PS1, as well as thousands of arcade games.
    I've got a Retroid Pocket 2 that's slightly more powerful: that's what I use for all of my N64 needs.
    I have a hacked Wii with a lot of the old consoles and handhelds, but most importantly, a big ass hard drive full of Wii and GC games.

I'm literally still playing games I read about in Nintendo Power in 1991, but wasn't able to get. Plus, I pretty much MISSED PlayStation, and a lot of N64.
    Sometimes I feel like I have a touch of Peter Pan syndrome. The fact that I've got every SNES/NES/NeoGeo game in my POCKET brings me almost as much joy as it would have when I was twelve or thirteen.

I'm not so much of a gamer as I am a RETRO gamer.

Currently, i'm playing Zelda: Minish Cap

Who else is mostly a full on retro gamer?
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-21-2021 at 04:18 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern and the rest of you guys talking bad about the Virtual Boy:
    I don't think you guys were playing it right.

What you do is, take at least three or four pieces of blotter acid.

Then, you take the headset off of the tripod and put it on the floor.
    Make sure the room is completely dark, but keep a flashlight nearby for changing games.
    Connect the headphones.
    Lay on your stomach and stick your face in the thing, creating a sort of sensory deprivation.
    THAT'S the best way to use it.
    Holy god, I had borderline religious experiences doing that shit. I'd play galactic pinball for eight hours in the dark like that, along with Teleroboxer, Red Alarm, and all the others (I bought the system and all of the games for SUPER cheap, when they were on clearance.)
    Those are some of the fondest memories of my life.

And, while I mostly enjoyed that machine as an LSD toy, I played it clear headed on occasion. I don't understand why everyone hated it so much. The PRICE was absurd, but when I bought it, it was down to about $20 and the games were all $2 or $3. It was a hell of a lot of fun for what it was, especially with the aforementioned chemical enhancement
    Yea, not doing all that lol... agree to disagree on this one. I experienced this monstrosity when it came out and I hated every moment of it. Unwanted headaches, uncomfortable no matter how you set the thing up, and the games are simply down right shit with the exception of Wario and Teleroboxer. And Red Alarm? My friend had that game (Also the only other person I knew that had a VB) and it was the main game that straight up hurt our eyes and eventually our heads.. Yea, fuck this thing .

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So i just saw the new PowKiddy. The form factor is terrible and the buttons don't work right.
    But here's the thing: It runs N64, Dreamcast, and PSP perfectly. It also can run about 25% of GameCube games, and some PS2.

All of the competitive and affordable current retro handhelds run the same chipset, the RK3326; some of them have better processors and operating systems, which is the difference between running ALL n64 and many dreamcast games, or only a FEW N64 and a COUPLE of dreamcast games. (i mean, of course, you can get a handheld that's actually a beast of a micro laptop with handheld controls, that gets into Switch territory, but those devices are like $900.)

While this new PowKiddy is definitely a flop, i'm pretty sure this is a sign of What's Just Around The Corner for retro handhelds in general.

I'm thinking that with the next gen, (which should be appearing VERY soon,) that ALL of them will have 100% N64/Saturn/Dreamcast/PSP, and many will run demanding android games and work for XBOX One streaming, and we'll be talking about updates that make these things run more PS2 and GameCube games, instead of PSP and Dreamcast.

AND, this thing is only like $169

PLUS, there's the Retroid Pocket 2 Plus for like $99. It's ALSO exciting, because it removes ALL of the need for tinkering and fucking with RetroArch and changing scaling and button mapping and such. Instead, the software is INSANELY user friendly.

My wife is already scheming on selling her RP2 and adding $10 or $20 to get the Plus.

I'M probably gonna sell my beloved Anbernic351P and Retroid Pocket 2 to get the rumored upcoming Anbernic 552.
    (There's a leaked video showing what's PURPORTEDLY the upcoming Anbernic, and it's running PSP God Of War FLAWLESSLY. Leaker calls it a 552.)

I'm THRILLED. These are VERY exciting bits of news and rumors, for this fledgling, crowded, competitive field of gaming systems.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just found out that you can put retroarch on an Amazon Fire Stick and play everything up to and including PS1.
    You can also play 90% of N64 games.

And you don't even have to "hack" or "jailbreak" it. It's just something I don't think they anticipated people doing. It's got a web browser and an app called "downloader," so you just download Retroarch, mupen64, get you a micro.SD full of roms and any Bluetooth controller, and boom boom, shake the room.

Pretty crazy since these things should be about $40 for black friday.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I have a portable retro thing build w/ a Raspberry Pi Zero and a GPi case (basically looks like an original game boy w/ four buttons on the front and two shoulder buttons on the back).

I really wanna like it more than I do. You need to use it with an external battery bank (my iMuto works great), but that just adds an extra paperback-book-weight to the setup, and it takes forever to charge the battery. If you use it with AA batteries, it eats them in about 2 hours and gives no warning that it's about to just die and crash (outside of a couple power light blinks).
    I also hate the shoulder buttons... there's so much "form over function" stuff going on here... like the external HDMI-out port is sealed off and inaccessible? WHY!? Also, the D-pad feels like garbage. The screen is also just way too small to play anything that has text and wasn't designed to be played on a handheld.

I realize I'm spoiled here, and that if you'd shown this thing to me when I was a kid, my head would have exploded. Still, gotta feel there's a better way to do this.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I just recently upgraded my Raspberry Pi from a Pi 3 to a Pi 4. I paid for one that was overclocked and all set up to run PS1, N64, and Dreamcast games smoothly, and for the most part, it's doing an amazing job... I was a bit put out by my old box's inability to run ANY n64 games, so this is a big improvement. There's occasional stuttering, but for the most part, it's smooth and seamless on games like Blast Corps, Star Fox, and so on. Conker's Bad Fur Day runs sort of stutter-y, but never played the original game, so not much to compare to.

The Pi was a nightmare to set up the first time, but the seller I purchased the 4 from did a killer job with the button mapping and setting up the interface for beauty and ease of use. Mostly my six year old uses it now to play arcade port versions of TMNT/Turtles In Time, both of which run perfectly.

@Jinsai - I'm intrigued by this RP2+ but wish there was some way to get that level of power on a bigger screen. I don't travel so much anymore, so having a dedicated box that is even better and more user friendly than the Pi would be a dream, especially once the technology can start running PS2/Gamecube.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The power of Raspberry Pi stuff is really on the cusp it seems... it's ALMOST there.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I have a portable retro thing build w/ a Raspberry Pi Zero and a GPi case (basically looks like an original game boy w/ four buttons on the front and two shoulder buttons on the back).

I really wanna like it more than I do. You need to use it with an external battery bank (my iMuto works great), but that just adds an extra paperback-book-weight to the setup, and it takes forever to charge the battery. If you use it with AA batteries, it eats them in about 2 hours and gives no warning that it's about to just die and crash (outside of a couple power light blinks).
    I also hate the shoulder buttons... there's so much "form over function" stuff going on here... like the external HDMI-out port is sealed off and inaccessible? WHY!? Also, the D-pad feels like garbage. The screen is also just way too small to play anything that has text and wasn't designed to be played on a handheld.

I realize I'm spoiled here, and that if you'd shown this thing to me when I was a kid, my head would have exploded. Still, gotta feel there's a better way to do this.
    You AREN'T acting spoiled, REALLY.
    There are SO many great form factors in this handheld race. I'd HIGHLY recommended an Anbernic351V if you're ok with everything up to PS1, and hit and miss for N64/Dreamcast/PSP. It sounds like what you're working with, game boy shape, but it charges like a phone, has a good sized screen, and the buttons are pretty much perfect. I play the 351P, which is horizontal. AND, there are a fuckton of these things in all shapes and sizes.

The form factor and quality of life stuff is lovely on the RP2 and RP2 plus, also, but even though it's more powerful, I haven't even opened my RP2 because I'm still playing the Anbernic. My wife is partial to the RP2 form factor.

But if you're thinking of getting one of these, you MIGHT want to wait, because the dozen or so competing companies will have THEIR version that runs perfect N64/PSP/Dreamcast with some GC and PS2 VERY soon.

But yeah, dude. I'M still a kid inside, and my head almost DID explode when I saw these things. That's how I wound up with 2 different brands, and one still unopened in the factory box. (you may also note that I'm kind of obsessed with this shit :P I'm still playing games I saw in Nintendo Power in 1993 and didn't get to play.)

@frankie teardrop , I'm 99% sure the RP2 has an HDMI out, and i'm certain of Bluetooth controller support. I think you can just use Xbox one controllers if you like.
    There are also portable-ish tv boxes coming out that do everything the handhelds do, like the Super Console X line.

REedit: Check out Retro Games Corps on YouTube for deep dives on all this stuff; this guy also makes step by step how-to guides on EVERYTHING, in both written and video form.
    Retro Dodo and Taki Udon are also great channels for seeing what everything in this sea of devices has to offer.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-14-2021 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    What I don’t get is why Saturn emulation is still so bad. I could mostly not care about anything on the n64. Really I guess I liked Killer Instinct, but that’s one that doesn’t run on stuff.

I really love the idea of playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on a handheld though

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Saturn was a wild chipset that was basically* a beefed up SNES chip that was asked to do 3D a-la the FX chip. Oh and the RAM cart.

*wild hyperbole on top of years of hearing people make disparaging comments IRT the chips.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What I don’t get is why Saturn emulation is still so bad. I could mostly not care about anything on the n64. Really I guess I liked Killer Instinct, but that’s one that doesn’t run on stuff.

I really love the idea of playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on a handheld though
    Panzer Dragoon was released for Switch last year. Sort of flew over everyones heads .

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Panzer Dragoon was released for Switch last year. Sort of flew over everyones heads .
    I think you’re talking about the HD release of 1 that also came out on PS4? Saga is the awesome action rpg that they lost the source code to. I sold my copy for 650 bucks when I needed cash. It’s worth more now

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I think you’re talking about the HD release of 1 that also came out on PS4? Saga is the awesome action rpg that they lost the source code to. I sold my copy for 650 bucks when I needed cash. It’s worth more now
    Oh damn, didn't see Saga, yes the OG. What a lost gem that game is. It goes for about 1500 to 2000 now.

Sucks because it came out when Final Fantasy VII was coming and it barely got any western recognition.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 11-15-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Yeah I actually bought a Saturn just for that game, then discovered a bunch of other great things before they became priceless.

I did mod my Saturn so it can play Japanese games and I still have JP versions of the best stuff

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yeah I actually bought a Saturn just for that game, then discovered a bunch of other great things before they became priceless.

I did mod my Saturn so it can play Japanese games and I still have JP versions of the best stuff
    How did you mod yours? I was able to get the action replay cart and it works good.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Latest console i bought was a Mini Nes, so i guess i'm a Retro Gamer?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

*grabby hands*

If I had the space to set up another machine in this room... I don't. But if I did (!!!!)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    What I don’t get is why Saturn emulation is still so bad. I could mostly not care about anything on the n64...
    It's weird to me, too. I don't understand.

I assume it's the same reason N64 emulation took so fucking long: they took their own strange path with the hardware and software.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It's weird to me, too. I don't understand.

I assume it's the same reason N64 emulation took so fucking long: they took their own strange path with the hardware and software.
    I know that back in the day, the big hurdle people were running into was the "Saturn Ring of Death." This referred to a small strip of copy protection at the beginning of the disc. So that made sense for a bit, but then people got over that and the ripped ISOs are out there; there's just no great emulator I've heard of. I've heard the argument that if there was a huge interest in the library, the emulation would be here. Uhhhhhhh... it's got pretty much the most valuable game library of any system ever. I know because I sold my library for thousands of dollars, but I'd still like to play Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III.... Then there were all these awesome obscure gems, like Burning Rangers, Dragon Force I and II, Guardian Heroes (though there's other ways to play this now), Die Hard Arcade, and Virtua Cop (which is Kyle Rittenhouse's favorite game).

The best argument I've heard is that it's just a really unique and bizarre architecture. It had 8 processors and did stuff in really unconventional ways, which also lead to a lot of developers getting fed up with it. This might be part of the issue that is going to hamper PS3 emulation down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    How did you mod yours? I was able to get the action replay cart and it works good.
    Installed a switch on the side that toggles region.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-22-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The best argument I've heard is that it's just a really unique and bizarre architecture. It had 8 processors and did stuff in really unconventional ways, which also lead to a lot of developers getting fed up with it. This might be part of the issue that is going to hamper PS3 emulation down the line.
    That's what i figured. That being said, i HAVE seen some new Chinese rigs running Saturn.

But i've had WAY more luck with DreamCast than Saturn on my handhelds.

It's similar to the problem people encountered with N64.
    The Wii i hacked can run any Wii rom, and GC, but N64 is hit and miss.

I mean, also, i DO know that the Wii and DC works using a "kernel," but good god, you'd think N64 would work, SOMEHOW, on a more powerful machine.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-22-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This is the reason for sure. Pat the NES Punk covers these sorts of stories religiously on his podcasts and I'll try and find the video, but he spoke about someone last year pretty much on the verge on cracking the Saturn architecture for fluent emulation down the road.

Cool you have the switch, my friends brother had one on his when it wasn't really a thing to do.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Has anyone here tried messing around with a DexDrive + Dexter on Windows 11? I was curious as to whether there are any new quirks that weren't present in Windows 10.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Well, this is pretty amazing during a Russian invasion.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the mister is so boss, I wish I could get one. the thing holding me back is what I keep hearing on podcasts: you get more interested in keeping it up-to-date and what you could do with it that to tend to forget what you can do with it.

namely: play games.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The 1992 X-Men 6 player cabinet. So many great memories, so many spent quarters. Wish I could find one again.

Question. Exactly how old does a game or technology need to be to fall into the category of retro? Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't know that there's a rule but my general feeling is around 15-20 years?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 04-24-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ agreed.

I consider anything around two decades old retro. PS3 is just about there after playing a few the other day; damn some games feel incredibly clunky and blurry.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I bough a handheld version of Oregon Trail (replicates the 1985 version) and it rules.