Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming and Technology News

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    The character model seen in the 1313 footage was a placeholder to begin with to conceal who was actually going to be in it so i could have easily seen them reveal Boba Fett later on.

What a damn shame, that title could have been what brought LucasArts back on the map and redeemed them from their failure with The Force Unleashed 2 and just the slew of crappy casual games they had been coming out with for the past 4/5 years. I mean that Kinect thing, talk about a final nail in the coffin..... ouch.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im pretyy pissed about losing 1313. The fact that they finally revealed it to be a boba fett game makes it much much worse

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Im pretyy pissed about losing 1313. The fact that they finally revealed it to be a boba fett game makes it much much worse
    Yeah, it definitely sucks.

Though, I do understand why they cut LucasArts. I mean, when was the last time you really said "man, this new Star Wars game kicks ass!" instead of "man, this new Star Wars game sucks ass!"?

Saw Kotaku posted this today and I do agree with what they said.
    http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closing-...ium=Socialflow

And who knows, maybe another studio will pick up 1313 at some point down the road? Wishful thinking, but still.
    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 04-04-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    As a huge fan of LucasArts this brings not an unwelcome sense of closure. It's been hard to watch as they spent most of the past nearly-fifteen years on a downward spiral of poor games and frustrating hype—not unlike standing by as a loved one goes through the slow and tragic degradation of Alzheimer's, punctuated periodically with moments of such lucidity that one wonders if maybe the curve has sloped off, only to return the next morning to a drooling mannequin.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus T. Cosmonaut View Post
    As a huge fan of LucasArts this brings not an unwelcome sense of closure. It's been hard to watch as they spent most of the past nearly-fifteen years on a downward spiral of poor games and frustrating hype—not unlike standing by as a loved one goes through the slow and tragic degradation of Alzheimer's, punctuated periodically with moments of such lucidity that one wonders if maybe the curve has sloped off, only to return the next morning to a drooling mannequin.
    Fifteen? They still produced Jedi Knight 2 and Academy, and Grim Fandango during that time. They're widely considered to be classics now.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    More evidence is coming out in support of the Next X-Box requiring an online connection.

I wouldn't believe it at first. It just seems suicidal. Forget how much hardcore gamers are going to hate it - the casual crowd, the bulk of people who will want an X-Box, won't even understand it.

Sony has already stated that the PS4 will not require an online connection, and since consumers have the option it seems likely to me that they'll largely go with Playstation. With Nintendo essentially out of the picture, does this mean that Sony just dominates the next generation market?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

I'm sure you guys all heard about the asshole Microsoft employee on twitter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Fifteen? They still produced Jedi Knight 2 and Academy, and Grim Fandango during that time. They're widely considered to be classics now.
    I said "most of the past nearly-fifteen years". Jedi Knight II and Academy were, notably, not developed by LucasArts. To be perfectly fair, most of the stuff LucasArts published during that span of time were not developed in-house, which is why the decision to close shop and stick to the publishing model makes sense.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 04-06-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I'm sure you guys all heard about the asshole Microsoft employee on twitter.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Easily the most epic gif ever

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Amusing!

Still under the impression that video games are strictly for kids? Hilda Knott would like to have a word with you. And perhaps a game.The 85-year-old British gamer has been mashing buttons for 40 years — roughly the life of the video game industry – and is showing no signs of slowing down.
    We’re not talking about just a bunch of boring PC card games, either. In a video interview with the BBC, Knott, who turns 86 next month, shows off her formidable gaming setup, including a sweet 65-inch HDTV and a brand new Playstation 3 Superslim. She discusses her love of Grand Theft Auto IV, which she had a “hilarious” time playing with her 94-year-old-aunt.
    Knott acknowledges that her deep love of gaming has helped her stay mentally fit, because “a lot of them have puzzles, working out how to do something.”
    She isn’t joking, either, as the video shows her playing the niche tactical role-playing game, Disgaea 4. That’s hardcore. This lady is a gamer, through and through.
    And while many of her fellow octogenarians credit games like Wii Sports for keeping them physically active, Knott’s favorite part about playing video games will sound more familiar to the Halo crowd.
    “Finding something new in the game,” she says. “Getting on to the next stage, or the next event. And the achievement of finishing it.”
    With 40 years of gaming under her belt, we imagine she’s finished quite a few. Hats off to you, Hilda!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21116544

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Any old lady that tears up Disgaea 4 is bad ass. Through and through.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'd love to know if that woman has ever played L.A. Noire, i imagine her playing a game like that would be quite a trip considering she grew up in the 40s.

I bet she'd get a right kick out of it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...gins-announced

New Batman Arkham Origins game announced coming out on October 25th, prequel with a young batman meeting many villains for the first time. Sounds awesome, not being developed by Rocksteady so hopefully it doesn't get screwed up. Also going to be a game for Vita and 3DS the same day that will be an exploration action game, Arkham Origins Blackgate.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    There are no secrets in gaming anymore. It surprises me that companies wait so long to officially announce thins like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon or Arkham Origins when gamers have been talking about the latter for almost a year. Maybe theyre trying to maintain cintrol of the narrative but theyre completely losing it by staying mum for so long. Its especially apparent with the next gen consoles. The hype engine gets killed by leaks which ar3 treated with skepticism nd inquisition, and when official confirmation comes its lke, weve known this muh about AC4 for almost 4 months now. Its not exciting or interestng anymore.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...gins-announced

New Batman Arkham Origins game announced coming out on October 25th, prequel with a young batman meeting many villains for the first time. Sounds awesome, not being developed by Rocksteady so hopefully it doesn't get screwed up. Also going to be a game for Vita and 3DS the same day that will be an exploration action game, Arkham Origins Blackgate.
    I really wish they'd give it a rest with this Arkham identity.

Give me an actual Gotham City game ffs!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    As long as they keep putting out awesome Batman games I don't care what they call them.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I really wish they'd give it a rest with this Arkham identity.Give me an actual Gotham City game ffs!
    They continue to do the arkham thing because arkham is the one plàce in the batman universe usually devoid of civiliaans and vehicles. Both of those elememts would heavily complicate design. Its a risk reward thing and i get why they dont take that leap.Speaking of risk it seems like a big one to not have rocksteady develop this. Rocksteady who made these games what they are and gave them the style, quality and reputation they have... very odd.And i have to say i hope this one is Joker-lite. It seems lioe the only reason to actually do aprequel in the forst place is so you can include him but....with Mark Hamil supposedly off the project it seems to time to place thhe emphasis on one of batmans very many more dynamic villains. The joker is super played out at this point.... i dont think we need another story about him.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Cool trailer, no doubt. But what I found more compelling was the article listed this as: "The Evil Within will be released in 2014 for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and next-gen consoles." I had wondered about this as the hardware was all teasing us with "next gen soon" and was wondering what software developers were going to do in the interim. I hadn't heard much of anything about backwards compatibility and sincerely doubt the next gen will support it. So does this mean developers are good with creating games now in a "current gen" version and a "next gen version"? That seems like an awful lot of work to keep new games coming out in this limbo between current and next. This, for me, is the first I'd seen that approach. Quite surprised.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There are actually a handful of games doing that. Bungie's upcoming game Destiny has already announced that as well, as well as Assassin's Creed IV if I'm not mistaken? Don't take that as me not agreeing with what you're saying though lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That new Deadpool game by High Moon Studios hits stores on June 26th. I don't give a rat's ass about the character but I'll be damned if it doesn't look super fun to get and play. Cover below

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Trolling is a game. The game industry is filled with masterful trolls:
    http://www.greenheartgames.com.nyud....use-of-piracy/

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Trolling is a game. The game industry is filled with masterful trolls:
    Trolling is the juvenile redneck version of "video game."

Also, your link doesn't work.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Trolling is the juvenile redneck version of "video game."

Also, your link doesn't work.
    The site has been getting hammered. Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/Ko3cPck Most people want to buy the game after reading it.
    You'll take that comment back after reading it too!

I've been in the gaming industry for a decade. I assure you that the industry is filled with people who enjoy this type of thing.

There is a thread over here too: http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/0...ack-at-pirates

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Among people I know, Steam's done a lot to combat piracy. 6-10 years ago, when I was involved in competitive gaming and internet speeds were starting to leap upward, I was pretty much the only person I knew online who'd only buy games legitimately, everyone else would regularly download them. Now, though, none of them do - buying on Steam is faster and easier than finding a working download, and enhances the experience with automatic patching, friend matching and a degree of cheat protection (and now the Workshop, which needs some tweaking but is a masterstroke). The sales rather helped, too.
    I can't speak for everyone, but among my friends, that positive incentive, and beating some of piracy's biggest strengths - speed, ease and directness - has obliterated the pirating culture.

Still, leaking that game was an interesting experiment.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yea, Valve has it down. Once you realize that simply making purchasing easier than pirating is the answer (not making piracy harder) you win. Sadly, most companies lack the ingenuity there. GreenHeart didn't really do anything to deal with piracy but they certainly created a somewhat viral advertising campaign with this approach.

The game industry is tons of fun. It seems perpetually susceptible to disruption. It never gets dull. The companies who grow big and try to monopolize end up falling apart.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    FINALLY.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Ever wished you could control video games with your mind?