Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Blame Canada, eh?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Here s afunny look at the insane real estate prices in Toronto.

http://fmlistings.tumblr.com/
    Dear GOD. And I thought prices in L.A. were ridiculous.

And by the way, no chance in hell I'm paying 1.5 mil to live on a street called Cummer Ave.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Vancouver's house prices are ludicrous. $2 million for a house on the West Side, upwards of $650K for the Eastside.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Vancouver's house prices are ludicrous. $2 million for a house on the West Side, upwards of $650K for the Eastside.
    It's already broken the Million mark on the East Side... I can kiss being a home owner goodbye as long as I live here...

Everyone keeps saying "Oh don't worry, it's gonna crash soon, gonna crash soon" well, what is this, Trent Reznor "soon" because I certainly don't see any end in site.

I read in the paper you can buy a 2 bathroom, 3 bedroom place in Arizona now for $250,000! Makes you wonder why anyone lives in Raintown at these prices when we can go live in the land of warmth and sunshine. But I guess good luck funding a job down there.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I read in the paper you can buy a 2 bathroom, 3 bedroom place in Arizona now for $250,000! Makes you wonder why anyone lives in Raintown at these prices when we can go live in the land of warmth and sunshine. But I guess good luck funding a job down there.
    Trust me, "warmth and sunshine" sounds nice until you're smack dab in the middle of 118 degrees. And you've got three or four months of it to go.

On the other hand, the winters are pretty damn nice.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I'll take 3 or 4 months of 118 over 9 or 10 months of rain.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Today is HRH Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. She has been styled as the "Queen of Canada" for thirty of those sixty years (ever since our 1982 constitutional patriation). Long may she reign!

Canadians: what are your thoughts on retaining/updating/abolishing our constitutional monarchy? Personally, I think things are fine the way they are. Canada as a nation was built with the help and support of British (and French) monarchs. The monarchy is part of our unique national heritage. There are those who say the system is elitist and outdated but I think it serves to remind us of our distinct identity.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I say as long as they keep to themselves, show up on our money every now and then, and keep banging their cousins and turning out inbred upper-class-twits, they can reign over us all they want. We could stand to do away with the Governor General, though.. "Can we please change our constitution? Someone forgot some punctuation." "Lemme ask the Queen, get back to you in a couple months".

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Actually, in practice the GG will never consult the Queen on anything that directly influences governance. Along with the lieutenant-governors, they basically take on all the required duties of our monarch as viceroys.

See: this bitchin' Wikipedia article.
    Last edited by botley; 02-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    So, there is a robocall scandal going around now, which would make Stephan Harper and his majority Government illegitimate.
    They basically comitted fraud by misdirecting voters to the wrong polling stations on election day, letting them know their voter station had been changed.
    They targeted many non-conservative ridings as well. This lead to much confusion that many Canadians couldn't get to the new location that was out of the way.

It's up to us, the Canadians to take a stand and overthrow this majorioty Government once and for all.

Below is a video that should bring everyone up to speed on the situation:

And then there is a petetion to sign as well here: http://www.leadnow.ca/robocall-fraud

Please share this information with your fellow canadians on your twitter, facebook or whatever other social media you use. We need to get Harper FIRED, that will be the first step to having a better Canada.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

You guys shouldn't import some of our American culture. I mean really.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm ashamed to live in this town right now.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Come live in Arizona for one week and you'll be completely cured of any shame you feel for Vancouver.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Come live in Arizona for one week and you'll be completely cured of any shame you feel for Vancouver.
    I Don't see what everyone has against AZ!
    Come spend a winter in Vancouver, and we'll see how fast you jet back down to AZ.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah the uhh, winters up here are uhh....terrible. (snow once in a while that's gone within 24 hours). Try Alberta, son.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It's not the snow, it's the endless rain!!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Yeah the uhh, winters up here are uhh....terrible. (snow once in a while that's gone within 24 hours). Try Alberta, son.
    I can sense the sarcasm in your typing, son. I don't need to try alberta, as i've tried Winnipeg for 23 years, and I think that has you beat on the terrible weather scale. But all things asside, this is a battle between Vancouver and Arizona. Yes, I agree there are much worse places out there for weather, but Vancouver's isn't exactly the greatest, there is no way you like +5 to +12 and raining for 7-9 months straight.

Plus, +5 here doesn't even feel liek +5 here, it feels more like -5 with the rain. The cold here is a different kind of cold. It's wet, it's damp, no matter how many layers you wear you just can't shake it.

I seriously don't know who in the right mind would say anyone from Vancouver would hate arizona after a week, nobody in the right mind!
    If I could, I would get up and move to either CA, AZ, NV, HI, NM, FL or any other warm climate destinate in a heartbeat.
    But for now, I am stuck in the "warmest" place in Canada, and it's really not that warm.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I actually was referring to the culture in Arizona, but now that you mention it, yeah, it really sucks here in the summer. Big time. But the winters are pretty decent.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I suppose the right wing orthodoxy in Arizona is probably terrible, but up here the hipsters here are insufferable. You turn on the light in your kitchen and they scurry under your fridge while you're trying to stomp them. After a few minutes of frantic flailing you're left with broken Elvis Costello glasses all over the floor and the lingering smell of Axe Body Spray (it's ironic).

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    It's really not all that bad. I'm sort of half joking. I mean, yes, this is a red state, so for sure most of the people you meet are probably homophobic Republicans (considering this state voted against gay marriage a few years ago, that's probably a good assumption). And yes, people love their guns, though for a state that lets you carry not just guns everywhere you go, but concealed guns without a permit, you really don't see too many people with a six-shooter on their hip. Though I have seen it a few times. You know it's bad when restaurants and stores have a "please do not bring guns into this establishment" signs in the window.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just spend the weekend doing a mini-tour in canada. toronto on friday and montreal on saturday. preferred the latter, and look forward to visiting again, when i can actually see more than the inside of a venue, a couch, and the occasional restaurant!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Did you get a Montreal smoked meat sandwich??? And get glared at when you didn't speak French???

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i got poutine with smoked meat on top, and ate at a norweigan and a mediterranean restaurant. the singer of the band i play in is fluent (born and raised in france) and our friend/co-show mate was french canadian, so we were fine. my french is passable enough that i could have managed awkwardly without them, like the missus and i did in paris.

got a good linguistics workout, though. gave it the ol' college try though. politely said "je ne parle pas francais" if it got too out of hand. everyone seemed way cool with it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Did you get a Montreal smoked meat sandwich??? And get glared at when you didn't speak French???
    HEY! I resent that!

Seriously though, you'd me amazed at how us regular French speakers will do whatever is necessary to help tourists/visitors who don't speak French. I know because I was the "official" bilingual person at work and there were days where I would spend most of the time either on the phone or with tourists who were English speakers only. It's only a small fraction of assholes who are rude towards non French speaking visitors.

And frankie: HIGH FIVE on the poutine!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, everyone was really friendly about it and had no qualms with switching to english if/when necessary.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Animation: What Stephen Harper thinks he does

Editorial cartoonist Dan Murphy presents the Canadian prime minister in all his various incarnations.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Anim...#ixzz1oMWSLs6O

Last edited by ManBurning; 03-06-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For everyone complaining about Vancouver's weather, look at it out there. Beautiful day while Alberta gets pounded by snow. People still don't know what they got here...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's pretty freakin' stunning out today. I'm off work today because of the job action, so I went home, grabbed my camera, and I'm headed to Jericho beach!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    It's going to be 11 Celsius tomorrow in Quebec City. I'm getting my bathing suit.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    For everyone complaining about Vancouver's weather, look at it out there. Beautiful day while Alberta gets pounded by snow. People still don't know what they got here...
    Not gonna argue with you there, sir. This is the most beautiful place in the world... when the sun is shining!
    The sunny days remind me why I live here. It's just the shit you have to put up with to get them... 30-45 days in a row of pure mope, cloud and rain.
    But... Thursday is supposed to be +11 and sunny, gonna be an amazing day to have off.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Yeah, the island was pretty nice too. Even though it snowed for a solid 4 or 5 hours yesterday :/