Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: I want a TDS 25th Anniversary Tour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want a TDS 25th Anniversary Tour

so.. why is it the seminal The Downward Spiral album isn’t getting the 25th anniversary year tour treatment?

any way we could get into Trents ear about this? Still plenty of time left in ‘19. Could at least do a small run of shows ala ‘09

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    That would be sweet

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    They already played The Downward Spiral in its entirety twice, and I'm sure Trent's philosophy is "if you weren't there, oh well". At this point, unless they were planning shows in secret, it seems pretty unlikely that they're going to do some sort of anniversary tour at this point.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    They already played The Downward Spiral in its entirety twice, and I'm sure Trent's philosophy is "if you weren't there, oh well". At this point, unless they were planning shows in secret, it seems pretty unlikely that they're going to do some sort of anniversary tour at this point.
    Give him a few more years and I’m sure he’ll pull a Robert Smith and start doing full albums in their entirety live over a few nights, advertised as such. We got Broken not long ago!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yah, not the sort of thing NIN has ever done ('live in person, playing the hit Johnny Cash song: HURT!'). Unlikely that it'll ever happen again except as an unannounced surprise (just as it was last time).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Evidently he also does not love to play Becoming live.

source: TR comments before 12/12/18 performance of Becoming

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Something badly clammed that one up on the last tour, at least once (Alessandro's guitar came in off-time or sth)... they skipped it at this show packed with Downward Spiral-era setlist favourites:

l

BY THE WAY: this awesome video contains intense strobing. Beware, if that's a seizure trigger for you, before watching. It's cut together from multiple shows (but not the audio). Probably the closest you'll get to seeing the 'anniversary' show if such a thing were to ever happen.

ALSO: I love how lyrics from "Please" (ie, "just like now...") got added to the rewritten-bassline version of "Sanctified", here. It brings that song's intensity up another notch and makes it more obviously relevant to the inner-voice narrative TR's been exploring since TDS.
    Last edited by botley; 08-12-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Something badly clammed that one up on the last tour, at least once (Alessandro's guitar came in off-time or sth)... they skipped it at this show packed with Downward Spiral-era setlist favourites:

l

BY THE WAY: this awesome video contains intense strobing. Beware, if that's a seizure trigger for you, before watching. It's cut together from multiple shows (but not the audio). Probably the closest you'll get to seeing the 'anniversary' show if such a thing were to ever happen.

ALSO: I love how lyrics from "Please" (ie, "just like now...") got added to the rewritten-bassline version of "Sanctified", here. It brings that song's intensity up another notch and makes it more obviously relevant to the inner-voice narrative TR's been exploring since TDS.
    Damn. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Give him a few more years and I’m sure he’ll pull a Robert Smith and start doing full albums in their entirety live over a few nights, advertised as such. We got Broken not long ago!
    I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with The Fragile somewhere down the line. There's obviously way too much going on with that album for NIN to ever want to do it as a surprise, and I'm sure Trent likes the idea of doing it live, so a dedicated tour of Nine Inch Nails performing The Fragile would be the way to actually make it happen. I get that's kind of cliche these days and thought of as something only "old bands" do, but fuck it, there's no question there'd be a rabid audience for it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post

What did he say before the song?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    What did he say before the song?
    something to the effect of "usually when we play these angry songs it feels a bit cathartic. these next two tracks don't do that - but I guess you guys love it"

then proceeded to play Becoming / I Do Not Want This

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    something to the effect of "usually when we play these angry songs it feels a bit cathartic. these next two tracks don't do that - but I guess you guys love it"

then proceeded to play Becoming / I Do Not Want This
    that's disappointing. i love both of those songs (especially when paired together). the majority of the becoming being in 13/8 alone makes it one of the most unique songs in the catalog, not to mention the colorful lyrics and fantastic vocal performance. and (i've said several times on this board that) i do not want this is one of my fav songs on the downward spiral.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's disappointing. i love both of those songs (especially when paired together). the majority of the becoming being in 13/8 alone makes it one of the most unique songs in the catalog, not to mention the colorful lyrics and fantastic vocal performance. and (i've said several times on this board that) i do not want this is one of my fav songs on the downward spiral.
    yeah agreed. I'm a relative newbie having only gotten into NIN around 2007 - thanks to the 2018 tours, I've heard "The Perfect Drug" live more times than "Becoming" and "I Do Not Want This" combined... I don't have high hopes of hearing them live again.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's too bad because they really perfected the live arrangement of "I Do Not Want This" last year, and yet pooched "The Becoming". I was lucky enough to be up close for this BEASTLY rendition:

Jeez those Alessandro falsetto vocals, tho. Jee-eez that light show, tho (again, mind the strobing). JEEZ that guitar solo, tho!!
    Last edited by botley; 08-13-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    He’s really hitting those high notes during the 2018 performances of The Becoming unlike on previous tours. “I can try to get AWAY...” - hell, he could even pull WITT off properly now. Maybe.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    On this subject, it was 10 years ago tonight that NIN played TDS in its entirety at Webster Hall.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

He remarked in Austin during NIN|JA that "it's a hard f'n song to play". Also, I don't think BMwaG would be played outside of a full album performance.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 08-23-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    On this subject, it was 10 years ago tonight that NIN played TDS in its entirety at Webster Hall.
    That just flew by.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Nine Inch Nails performing The Fragile would be the way to actually make it happen. I get that's kind of cliche these days and thought of as something only "old bands" do, but fuck it, there's no question there'd be a rabid audience for it.
    Using live orchestra, similar to the MTV The Fragile performance but on a grander scale a'la Weird Al's recent tour. I would go to that, and more than one night, but I don't know that pre-planned and promoted "playing this album" shows will happen.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A small tour or residency with string section and real grand piano a la the Bridge School setup Reznor used, but with the rest of the NIN lineup, would be great.
    Last edited by botley; 08-31-2019 at 07:49 AM.