Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Things Falling Apart

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not so. It actually has a danceable bassline. I think I'd prefer the remix to the LP version, if it combined the best moments of the three (!) different edits into five minutes.
    It is exactly the same song with some badly tweaked EQ and some minor percussion additions. Extremely lazy.

Now that remix.nin.com is defunct, it's hard to find much. But check these out:

Animalweapon remix

Way more talent than Bill fucking Laswell.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be raising Coil and TTA from the dead so we can have some decent remixes again for a change.
    Last edited by katara; 01-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Fixed and Further Down The Spiral always felt (to some extent) like Trent was trying to punish the listener.
    i couldnt agree more, some of the tracks were outright disorentating.

you still get that with newer tracks too. copy of a with the beat and then that "bdddooobdddooobdooo" throbbing bassline kicks in. the great destroyer's breakdown and the last 3/4 of the backround world come to mind.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    If you haven't listend to it yet, the "Lee Completion" mix of Metal is AMAZING and really makes the track come alive...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    If you haven't listend to it yet, the "Lee Completion" mix of Metal is AMAZING and really makes the track come alive...

Wow I haven't heard this in about 20 years.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Wow I haven't heard this in about 20 years.
    Let me know if you want the mp3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I felt that this was an alright Remix album, though it could have benefited from one of the Starfucker's remixes being replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let me know if you want the mp3
    I would!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

THIS. i expected more from "metal."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    It is exactly the same song with some badly tweaked EQ and some minor percussion additions. Extremely lazy.

Animalweapon remix

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be raising Coil and TTA from the dead so we can have some decent remixes again for a change.
    Everything TweakerRay does is awesome.

And, as for Coil, they're responsible for the deepest, weirdest, most singular NIN remixes I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The 53 minute-long album kicks (read: dozes) off with "Slipping Away (Into the Void Manipulation)" by Reznor and Brit mixer/engineer Alan Moulder. Does this sound familiar?: a plodding, Neanderthal beat; a dated guitar; a violin; searing but sanitized fuzz. Then, everything stops so Trent can scream his first line: "I keep slipping away." After throwing in those same blips he's employed since the beginning of time, the song becomes predictably muddled and furious.
    Early 2000s hispters were so cute. Like, do you know anyone who still listens or even remembers that Missy Elliot record the 2.0 TF guy was praising so hard?

Anyway, my TFA opinion is a cliché, but it'd made for a killer EP without all the Starfuckers content. I have a good memory of the then-best friend of mine throwing it on during his house party this one time. He's not a quarter of a NIN fan I am, and I was quite shocked to see he didn't just know about the record, but had the whole thing on his phone. Good times.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Animalweapon remix

Hmmm, good choices but I obviously disagree about Bill Laswell, he added a great bassline to the remix, which is more prominently featured in the vinyl edit, and incidentally he happens to be one of the most prolific musicians of the 20th century with over 1800 credits on Discogs. But it's a funk remix, there didn't need to be huge changes made in order to get it funkier... which is exactly what it is.

Telefon Tel Aviv isn't dead, Josh Eustis was touring under the name last year and he is working on new material!
    Last edited by botley; 01-12-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Eh, the version on Things Falling Apart is way better. This mix is just a mess. They basically sampled a few other NIN tracks and slapped them on top of the album version. It's like someone's idea of what Nine Inch Nails sounds like rather than the real deal. The album version is beautiful, especially the extended instrumental ending.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Eh, the version on Things Falling Apart is way better. This mix is just a mess. They basically sampled a few other NIN tracks and slapped them on top of the album version. It's like someone's idea of what Nine Inch Nails sounds like rather than the real deal. The album version is beautiful, especially the extended instrumental ending.
    When you take into account that this mix came out several months BEFORE Things Falling Apart (all we had heard were a couple of static-y leaked clips of NIN's "Metal" at that point, which this dude threw together into something at least listenable), it's not so bad. But yes, the released version is way better. They at least bothered to sample other Gary Numan songs instead of NIN ones :P
    Last edited by botley; 01-12-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    When you take into account that this mix came out several months BEFORE Things Falling Apart (all we had heard were a couple of static-y leaked clips of NIN's "Metal" at that point, which this dude threw together into something at least listenable), it's not so bad.
    *takes into account*
    Nah, it's still not very good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    How about Things Still Falling Apart?

Combine Still and Things Falling Apart along with other unreleased remixes and Fragile era material into a deluxe package.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ Great idea. Deviations 2: Still Far Away and Falling Apart

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    How about Things Still Falling Apart?

Combine Still and Things Falling Apart along with other unreleased remixes and Fragile era material into a deluxe package.
    Did that about a year ago. Have it on CD in the car and it is brilliant. I honestly don't know why TR didn't decide to expand the whole package a bit at the time. Compared to The Fragile, TFA really does feel very spartan, but the disc I made up for myself is a really satisfying listen. And no, The Perfect Drug doesn't fit on there in any fashion. I tried it out on a couple of dummy runs, but no. It is simply from a different era and doesn't fit with anything from TDS or TF. It didn't even work with the Starfuckers remixes, surprisingly enough. It's a pity, because I really wanted to squeeze it in there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^ Great idea. Deviations 2: Still Far Away and Falling Apart
    Fixed it...
    Deviations 2: Still Slipping Away and Falling Apart

J/K

I can still feel you even so far away

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    also i had listened to that version of "metal" that was all over p2p sites at the time and thought the finished, official song was so sleepy and subdued.
    wait....what version are you talking about?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Way Out Is Through The Great Below

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    wait....what version are you talking about?
    the "lee completion mix." see above.

edit:
    Last edited by kel; 01-12-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    the "lee completion mix." see above.

edit:
    This is a fan remix?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    This is a fan remix?
    yeah, didn't know it at the time. no idea how they snagged the vocals. it was floating around long before tfa was released.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I enjoy the album version, but the LC mix is the one I lean more towards when I make my mix CDs (yes, I still make those for my car)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    Did that about a year ago. Have it on CD in the car and it is brilliant. I honestly don't know why TR didn't decide to expand the whole package a bit at the time. Compared to The Fragile, TFA really does feel very spartan, but the disc I made up for myself is a really satisfying listen. And no, The Perfect Drug doesn't fit on there in any fashion. I tried it out on a couple of dummy runs, but no. It is simply from a different era and doesn't fit with anything from TDS or TF. It didn't even work with the Starfuckers remixes, surprisingly enough. It's a pity, because I really wanted to squeeze it in there.
    "The Perfect Drug" has its own era and I fucking love that. I also love/hate that it was an original NIN song, had a whole remix EP and a fucking music video...and only the drum solo is in Lost Highway, under dialogue and noise, for about six seconds.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Now OT but re YZR, I forget that I listen to the vinyl list and some of the vinyl exclusive stuff is the highlights e.g. the Ladytron mix, or at least one of them; I prefer the zero-sum remix over the original, and the AVOTT cover is on par IMHO. Re remix.nin.com, it's all here I think, but not as easy to search natch https://archive.org/details/opensource_audio?and[]=remix.nin.com&and[]=subject%3A%22remix.nin.com%22

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The Way Out Is Through The Great Below
    There's such a huge potential for a wordplay, but i'll just say i like the little remix record that serves as a refreshment after 2 hours of The Fragile's brooding darkness.

Where is the way out, everybody? Through the void.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    TFA is one of the best EP NIN has.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    FDTSv2 > FDTSv1 > TFA > YZR > Fixed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember absolutely loving TFA when I listened through it for the first time. It was the first time I'd come across a bunch of remixes that weren't underwhelming afterthoughts. Aside from the Starfuckers mixes, everything else is pretty much gold. The Great Collapse and the Where is Everybody? remix are so damn cool. I would love to hear different interpretations of the more recent NIN stuff by TR/AR and other artists!