Page 90 of 105 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3140

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Even as an American, and a lifelong texan, the Queen's death touched me. &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    I always saw her as a stabilizing force and a peacemaker on the world stage.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-09-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Talk about good aging genetics.
    Pretty sure genetics had nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Pretty sure genetics had nothing to do with it.
    I feel you: TRUST me.

But even with the best healthcare money can buy, genetics DO play a role.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I feel you: TRUST me.

But even with the best healthcare money can buy, genetics DO play a role.
    It's not even about health care. It's about not having to deal with a lot of the stress that non-royals have to deal with.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's not even about health care. It's about not having to deal with a lot of the stress that non-royals have to deal with.
    I hear that.

On the other hand, my maternal great grandparents made it to 94 and 96, respectively, lived through the great depression, and were around till I was 19 or 20.

And I'd argue that such a position comes with its own set of stressors: heavy is the head that wears the crown and such.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I’m with @elevenism etc. Genetics play a huge role, minus stupid shit like smoking or drinking or obesity.

QE2’s Dad, King George VI, died at age 56 from lung cancer. The guy smoked like a chimney.

The Windsors are also known for a REALLY active lifestyle. QE2 was walking a lot and riding her horse up until a few years ago when she began experiencing mobility issues. Horseback riding in your 90s is kinda nuts, but it’s something she loved. Science has proven that regular exercise is the fountain of youth.

Anyway … today, not surprisingly, William and Catherine became the Prince and Princess of Wales.

And Robert Smith clearly does not care at all … lol

Last edited by allegro; 09-10-2022 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wow. Off by one day.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Wow. Off by one day.
    Well, 10 years and one day haha.

Also, as a Cure fan, I just gotta say he is spot on about the monarchy. Basically Britain subsidizes their Kardashians with tax dollars. I know, history and all that matters, but there's got to be a better way of celebrating history. Nothing against the royals personally either. If I had been born king I'm sure I'd have felt like I hit the lotto. It used to be a burden but now it's just ceremony they have to worry about.

They may all be nice people but the classicism is disgusting.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Well, 10 years and one day haha.

Also, as a Cure fan, I just gotta say he is spot on about the monarchy. Basically Britain subsidizes their Kardashians with tax dollars. I know, history and all that matters, but there's got to be a better way of celebrating history. Nothing against the royals personally either. If I had been born king I'm sure I'd have felt like I hit the lotto. It used to be a burden but now it's just ceremony they have to worry about.

They may all be nice people but the classicism is disgusting.
    On the other hand, we here in the US subsidize our WARLORDS with tax dollars.
    I mean, the UK does, too. But I was just thinking of the time Noam Chomsky, during the bush admin, said that if recent us presidents were subject to the standards of Nuremberg, they'd be executed.

At least the whole royal family bit is quaint and like, how you say...far less deadly?
    At least that.

But the whole thing IS peculiar for sure.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    On the other hand, we here in the US subsidize our WARLORDS with tax dollars.
    I mean, the UK does, too. But I was just thinking of the time Noam Chomsky, during the bush admin, said that if recent us presidents were subject to the standards of Nuremberg, they'd be executed.

At least the whole royal family bit is quaint and like, how you say...far less deadly?
    At least that.

But the whole thing IS peculiar for sure.
    Well, yeah, but the whole reason the royal family is benign now is because they no longer have political power of any significance. But let's not forget their history. They come from the old world. The world in which everything was up for grabs and whoever had the best army and conquered the most land had the most resources. And well, they won. For a long time they won.

But try going back in time and telling Anne Boleyn the royals aren't deadly. They were essentially the Lannisters from Game of Thrones and the royals that exist today are merely their genetic descendants. They are the distant offspring of a once great empire that did absolutely nothing to gain their standing in the world today. I don't begrudge them for cashing in their winning ticket. But I DO scratch my head at the folks who worship them, as if they are worthy of it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I hear you loud and clear, @burnmotherfucker!
    You can ALSO draw a clear line from that empire to the American/Western empire, I'd say, especially considering the "special relationship."
    But I mean, everything is all fucked up, everywhere, now and previously What are you gonna do, you know?
    I fucking love Obama, but how many innocent people do you think he killed, as the drone strikingist POTUS, ever?

When WE become archaeology and re-evolve or whatever, people are going to think we worshipped celebs as gods.
    Imagine if the first finds are from superhero movies. "They worshipped some sort of man made of iron. There was a morally ambiguous Bat God, doing eternal battle with a smiling Trickster God.

And with the royals, well, perhaps we'd dig it more, if they were directly symbolic of OUR shit. I wouldn't know. I've barely ventured outside Texas, and lived in 2 whole places: the panhandle and dallas. So hell. Idk.

Ok, it's getting pretty fucking drifty: I'll see myself out.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-12-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I hear you loud and clear, @burnmotherfucker!
    You can ALSO draw a clear line from that empire to the American/Western empire, I'd say, especially considering the "special relationship."
    But I mean, everything is all fucked up, everywhere, now and previously What are you gonna do, you know?
    I fucking love Obama, but how many innocent people do you think he killed, as the drone strikingist POTUS, ever?
    Of course we are tied to that history. That old money stretches back longer than most people realize. Without England there is no us. I never said we were the model country, but at least we ditched the arbitrary bloodline king bullshit.

And I like Obama too and I think he's the best president in my lifetime but I'd stop short of saying I love the guy. Anyone with that much power anywhere at anytime in any country HAS to be a bad person deep down. Good people simply do not seek power, at least not that I've ever witnessed.

When WE become archaeology and re-evolve or whatever, people are going to think we worshipped celebs as gods.
    Imagine if the first finds are from superhero movies. "They worshipped some sort of man made of iron. There was a morally ambiguous Bat God, doing eternal battle with a smiling Trickster God.
    The celebrity worship part bothers me about our country in the same way the royal worship bothers me about Britain. It's ridiculous. But I'd actually argue that Batman is a much better moral framework to gain value from than either. It's even better than religion in that the stories are not set in stone but rather archetypes that can bend and shift to explore different aspects of the human condition. I'd also argue that they will NOT think we worshipped such a thing as if it were a religion. There will be ample information for future generations to realize that these were stories that we enjoyed and played with to reflect our world. Some of it was pretty banal (Marvel, all of Marvel!) and some of it was quite deep (Sandman). But I do concede that it's sad that some our best books (you know, some of those without all the pictures) get no traction in the zeitgeist anymore.

And with the royals, well, perhaps we'd dig it more, if they were directly symbolic of OUR shit. I wouldn't know. I've barely ventured outside Texas, and lived in 2 whole places: the panhandle and dallas. So hell. Idk.

Ok, it's getting pretty fucking drifty: I'll see myself out.
    I, for one, would almost certainly like it LESS. I'm a whole lot more annoyed that I have to see a Kardashian news story every day I open my feed to see if anyone got nuked overnight. If I lived in England and it was the royals instead everyday I'd feel the same way about them.

But my apologies, I didn't mean to derail the thread in the wake of Elizabeth's death. I'm sure she was a nice lady and all.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    John-Luc Goddard

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I mean damn.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Philly rapper PNB Rock, killed at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, at 30.

His girlfriend took a picture of her plate and posted it to Instagram, including location.

And BEFORE THE POOR BASTARD HAD FINISHED HIS CHICKEN AND WAFFLES, some grim fucker came in, robbed him, and went ahead and murdered him, too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    no surprise there. a string of those types of murders (people posting their location on social media) exist.

a friend in the hood told me: "always post the pictures of you out somewhere like 2 or 3 days after it actually occurs. you don't want no people pulling up on you"

good advice.

even better advice: stay the eff off social media (sorry, that's the middle school teacher in me coming out who deals with cyber bullying issues at my school)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    no surprise there. a string of those types of murders (people posting their location on social media) exist.

a friend in the hood told me: "always post the pictures of you out somewhere like 2 or 3 days after it actually occurs. you don't want no people pulling up on you"

good advice.

even better advice: stay the eff off social media (sorry, that's the middle school teacher in me coming out who deals with cyber bullying issues at my school)
    It's just, yeah...when you put it that way, it's SO awful.

Pop Smoke spent a lot of money on like $1000 AMIRI jeans, which helped to popularize the brand.
    So, they sent him some free stuff when he was at an Air BNB.

That made him happy, so he posted a pic on Instagram, including the bags of jeans and such, and a card from the company., that, unfortunately, revealed his EXTREMELY current, temporary location.

Shortly thereafter, he was murdered by 3 or 4 teenagers, because, you know...Special Pants.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I was merely a follower on Twitter, both DPRK and his personal account...terribly funny guy who hadn't been feeling well for a long time. I don't even think I ever directly interacted with him on Twitter yet I have a profound sense of sadness. The internet is good sometimes.

https://popehat.substack.com/p/a-farewell-to-a-friend

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    ::spits on grave::

He ignored rapes while prez at Baylor b/c football. Disgusting person his entire life. Good riddance.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Oh no.

Her Wolf Hall trilogy is a masterpiece.

Godspeed, Dame Hilary.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Louise Fletcher has died. She was 88.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/l...st-1235382490/

A true legend and a great lady. RIP.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    RIP Louise.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Louise Fletcher has died. She was 88.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/l...st-1235382490/

A true legend and a great lady. RIP.
    Kai Winn is one of the best villains in the history of Star Trek:

No one could be more nasty while smiling.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    RIP Coolio

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Drugs claim another. If you YouTube ‘Coolio Vancouver’ you’ll see the first hit is a vid my friend shot at some small club here a while back. And he was just straight blitzed on coke.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Drugs claim another. If you YouTube ‘Coolio Vancouver’ you’ll see the first hit is a vid my friend shot at some small club here a while back. And he was just straight blitzed on coke.
    He more than doubled 24, though, so there's that.