Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I like the idea of Rob's involvement to be him just constantly suggesting really loud breakbeats over everything ALL THE TIME, even when it doesn't fit. Like 'Rob jesus that isn't going to fit jesus stop suggesting that same break over and over again'

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Also, "collective" makes me think of Borg.
    you will use underscores where none are necessary_. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE_.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I like the idea of Rob's involvement to be him just constantly suggesting really loud breakbeats over everything ALL THE TIME, even when it doesn't fit. Like 'Rob jesus that isn't going to fit jesus stop suggesting that same break over and over again'
    I'm calling it now, the album will be called "Breakbeats Over Everything"

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    This is no longer a band, but a collective. As such, all 4 members influence the overall creative output that HTDA makes. Obviously Rob is more focused on the visual aspect, but HTDA_ don't want to just be a musical piece, so he's as much a member as Mariqueen is.
    This reminds me of Kraftwerk, where in one of the latest band incarnations one newer member was responsible only for live visuals manipulations and not music.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Or this new UK band BRETON: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...ew-band-breton . Live 4 members play the instruments and the fifth member is responsible during the gig for the editing of their self shot movies.
    You see it more and more.
    By the way, an interesting band.
    Last edited by witte; 10-12-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh my god.

CAPITALISE THE TITLES.

That is all.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    This reminds me of Kraftwerk, where in one of the latest band incarnations one newer member was responsible only for live visuals manipulations and not music.
    The newer member was also the one who came back to the stage after the concert was over to shut down all the computers. I remember watching that and thinking, "ha, being an intern is tough."

Not implying that Rob is an intern.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm hoping Rob's role will be more like Flavor Flave..... hype-man BOYYYY

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I wonder if we'll get lyrics with this EP, or if I'm going to have to bug Mariqueen and buy expensive Japanese editions again

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    So, this thing should leak any day now? That's what I'm thinking.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    So, this thing should leak any day now? That's what I'm thinking.
    From the description on that page: "This item releases on November 13th, 2012 and you will receive it on or shortly after that date."

Basically, this is just someone who'll have copies who are jumping the gun in reselling them.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Trent talking about why he went back to a label:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Trent talking about why he went back to a label:
    My friend, Danny, filmed this.

Not that the EP is coming out sooner--just that the group gets more viral presence and a few of the larger blogs posted it.
    Last edited by dpeters; 10-16-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love NIN, Reznor and Atticus. I enjoyed the first HTDA EP and bought it asap. Some songs on there were great but I can honestly say for the first time ever: I'm not really looking forward to this much at all. The music leanings are boring. I respect his work as a whole and don't mind his latest scoring but as someone already said about the new song, all it sounds like is a movie score and has Mariqueen 'singing' over it. She's not a bad vocalist but I don't care too much for it.

I'll download upon release. Wows me somehow then I will buy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I love NIN, Reznor and Atticus. I enjoyed the first HTDA EP and bought it asap. Some songs on there were great but I can honestly say for the first time ever: I'm not really looking forward to this much at all. The music leanings are boring. I respect his work as a whole and don't mind his latest scoring but as someone already said about the new song, all it sounds like is a movie score and has Mariqueen 'singing' over it. She's not a bad vocalist but I don't care too much for it.

I'll download upon release. Wows me somehow then I will buy it.
    This will sound like heresy but the output from HDTA, TSN, and GWTDT blends together in my ears--with elements from Ghosts and The Slip.

Hopefully, the talk of "tension" will mean more noticeably dynamic and complex arrangements--not that they need to recreate WITT's wall of guitar, just something that moves around a lot--both in the song and compared to the other material on the EP.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So when are we suppose to preorder it? it won't be available on the website? Starting to be late to ship worldwide.. And no cd? Are they still in studio, it wasn't finished after all these months of silence?

Finally we have a big news on HTDA and yet we know nothing (or I'm out of the loop). How ironic.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There's no CD, it will probably be on the website, but feel free to order through Amazon if you don't care about instant download. They're in the studio yes, but it's not clear what for, could be LP2 or EP3 or Theme for Dr Dre Beats for all we know.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeters View Post
    This will sound like heresy but the output from HDTA, TSN, and GWTDT blends together in my ears--with elements from Ghosts and The Slip.

Hopefully, the talk of "tension" will mean more noticeably dynamic and complex arrangements--not that they need to recreate WITT's wall of guitar, just something that moves around a lot--both in the song and compared to the other material on the EP.
    the common element is Atticus. Trent obviously gets on well with him and I'm glad for it. But its interesting for how much "NIN=Trent" is orthodoxy, how much his output changes depending on who he is around at the time; Broken vs TDS vs TF vs. WT.... all radically different sounding (to my ears). and each had radically different crews around (excepting Alan Moulder and TR.) but since WT, atticus has pretty much become a member of the band -- which might actually have prompted the decision to just start HTDA, now that I think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    the common element is Atticus. Trent obviously gets on well with him and I'm glad for it. But its interesting for how much "NIN=Trent" is orthodoxy, how much his output changes depending on who he is around at the time; Broken vs TDS vs TF vs. WT.... all radically different sounding (to my ears). and each had radically different crews around (excepting Alan Moulder and TR.) but since WT, atticus has pretty much become a member of the band -- which might actually have prompted the decision to just start HTDA, now that I think about it.
    I agree. I would even go as far and say Atticus (and his sound) have ran their course and it's time Trent picks a new direction. Maybe he can stick around for HTDA, but I sort of don't want to see him around for the next NIN LP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong. There are highlights off of every album Atticus has worked on with Trent. They are both incredibly talented but...

Atticus and Trent's post-WT work are like staring at all Rothko paintings.

They're good--even amazing sometimes but there's more than "moods" that can be done. HTDA is, hopefully, a chance at fresh air--but "Keep It Together" is vague as to such results.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeters View Post
    Don't get me wrong. There are highlights off of every album Atticus has worked on with Trent. They are both incredibly talented but...

Atticus and Trent's post-WT work are like staring at all Rothko paintings.

They're good--even amazing sometimes but there's more than "moods" that can be done. HTDA is, hopefully, a chance at fresh air--but "Keep It Together" is vague as to such results.
    the thing that I've come to realize is Trent's style is really affected by who is doing the sequencing. With some exceptions (phm, wt) his technique of working is to play a bunch over a loop while its recording, and then whoever was recording picks out the best bits an they go from there. That arranging element (not meaning arrangement in the traditional sense) really impacts the way everything is shaped. Atticus has a very defined aesthetic that works well with TR, but its not heavy on the arrangement complexity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really love Year Zero. Did Atticus work with him on that too?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I really love Year Zero. Did Atticus work with him on that too?
    atticus produced and I'm sure was heavily involved; I'm not really too sure on the stylistic differences in making YZ, most of the press focused on the ARG. it sounds like it was mainly made on laptops, but I remember seeing pictures of Atticus and TR recording in hotel rooms, so I would imagine the process was fairly similar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Atticus to NIN is like Nigel Godrich to Radiohead. It's been great, even amazing, while it lasted, but now it's becoming a broken record and is becoming stale. I hope Trent can reinvent himself like he did with YZ, but I think Atticus's style would hold him back. Question is, can someone as old as Trent reinvent himself twice?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Fairly sure this is HTDA talk, not NIN talk. Atticus is a member of HTDA, so that ain't gonna change.

Also, Trent is, at the end of the day, the top of NIN. If he wanted a different sound, he'd ask for it, Atticus' range isn't limited to what he does with TR.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think everyone should wait until the full thing comes out before going further...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think you are being a bit harsh on Atticus here - Year Zero was completely different to Ghosts and the scores and Atticus worked on that - and if I recall David Fincher had used Ghosts as a guide to the sort of sounds he wanted in his film - so obviously there was going to be a bit of an overlap in musical style with Ghosts and both scores - but I see the scores as in a box outside of NIN and HTDA and it's unfair to talk like that is supposed to be the new direction for all future releases (rambling now, but hopefully you get the gist)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think if Trent got a new member involved, things might become a bit different in terms of sound. I really do think this project just needs a new fresh perspective. Atticus can stay, obviously.