994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    i
    want
    plan.
    Go ahead and make one, then.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i have been reading other things because i thought we might formulate a new plan.
    But i will finish it now since that sounds like the "plan."
    @allegro , you are the one who was gonna make plan

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    i have been reading other things because i thought we might formulate a new plan.
    But i will finish it now since that sounds like the "plan."
    Sounds like a plan.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Sounds like a plan.
    Okay, everybody, this is the new plan.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You wanna start discussing it tonight? Too soon?

I'll add to this thread:

OKAY DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU AREN'T DONE WITH THE BOOK YET AND YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS BECAUSE WE ARE GONNA START DISCUSSING THIS BOOK NOW AND THE THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    You wanna start discussing it tonight? Too soon?
    Perhaps.
    Or perhaps i should see what is going on here before i commit.
    One thing i can do for certain is read the thing in the next few hours.

But discussion tonight is a distinct possibility.

also @allegro do we know how far @allegater has read? he seemed like someone who does the reading...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't know anything more than what you know, here.

I believe it's @allegate .

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I don't know anything more than what you know, here.

I believe it's @allegate.
    i think that allegater is funnier.

also @Sarah K sounded sincere and i thought she was your homegirl.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so nihlistic about book club?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Okay @allegater @Sarah K @Louie_Cypher

Where Is Ev-Ree-Bah-Tee? (that's the TFA version)

on a side note @allegro , allegate is an interesting word. Adding an r to it, well, i'm fairly goofy if you haven't figured that out yet :P

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    okay @allegro so are we gonna do like chapter by chapter analysis?
    or are we going to discuss the book as a whole?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Alrighty...wife was feeling ill yesterday so I had to work from home/take a half day because of the Christmas break to spend time with my son. Great day, but I'm not online if I'm home.

Anyway, I could finish the book either today or tomorrow, I'm about halfway through but was taking a break to read the other two stories @allegro mentioned.

@elevenism as far as the extra 'r': way way back in 95 when I first got on the internet I had to pick a username. I had just been accepted at Allegheny College and their mascot is...wait for it...an alligator.

And it just so happens to be an Italian word meaning "attached". Which is weird because I'm not Italian and I thought I had a made-up word.
    Last edited by allegate; 12-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Alrighty...wife was feeling ill yesterday so I had to work from home/take a half day because of the Christmas break to spend time with my son. Great day, but I'm not online if I'm home.

Anyway, I could finish the book either today or tomorrow, I'm about halfway through but was taking a break to read the other two stories @allegro mentioned.

@elevenism as far as the extra 'r': way way back in 95 when I first got on the internet I had to pick a username. I had just been accepted at Allegheny College and their mascot is...wait for it...an alligator.

And it just so happens to be an Italian word meaning "attached". Which is weird because I'm not Italian and I thought I had a made-up word.
    @allegater
    it's also a rarely used english word, a verb meaning to make an allegation.
    I thought you must be a lawyer or something.
    And yes, it is an italian adjective, feminine plural, for enclosed/attached.

I love words, so i looked all this up when i first saw your username.

Okay @allegro , @allegater is on board. He didn't finish the book because he was doing the suggested corollary reading.

So i vote that we wait until he finishes it.

Also, i can read this one of two ways. I can be finished with it in like 3 hours, but that's if i just plow through it.
    If i am going to take notes, it will take more like the 8 hours the kindle claims it will take.

Furthermore, due to my fallow drug habit, i am MUCH more functional every OTHER day. Today i am 100%, tomorrow i won't be, on the first i will, etc.

So if i am making the plan, let's discuss it on the night of New Year's Day.
    @Sarah K ? @Louie_Cypher ? Are you guys down?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm making a big dinner the night of New Year's Day. It's actually a "holiday."

@elevenism , you can highlight the areas of note in the book, and then pull up all of the highlighted areas via Kindle on the computer HERE via your Amazon account.

And you can copy-and-paste highlighted text from the book into this thread, for example:

Alice tossing the heads into the slop bucket. She staggered into the sunlight. Did the woman think her food tainted? Is that how Alice had got rid of everything Cora had contributed these past five years, treated every turnip knob and bunch of sour greens? Had it started with Cora, or Mabel, or her grandmother? There was no point in confronting the woman. Alice had been beloved of Randall, and now James Randall, who had grown tall on her mincemeat pies.

I have 54 highlighted passages, LOL.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

@elevenism, you can highlight the areas of note in the book, and then pull up all of the highlighted areas via Kindle on the computer HERE via your Amazon account.
    oh, word? thanks!

So what do you propose we do? i don't want to leave out @allegater

I can discuss even when not 100%. So the question, for me, comes down to this: can allegate be ready to discuss tomorrow?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

@elevenism, you can highlight the areas of note in the book, and then pull up all of the highlighted areas via Kindle on the computer HERE via your Amazon account.

And you can copy-and-paste highlighted text from the book into this thread, for example:

I have 54 highlighted passages, LOL.
    that's seriously fucking awesome. I have highlighted passages but didn't yet know how it worked.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We'll discuss the book as a whole, I'll begin the discussion whenever we start.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    that's seriously fucking awesome. I have highlighted passages but didn't yet know how it worked.
    It came in REALLY handy for some stuff when I was in school, that's for sure, especially for thesis essays that required cited text.

I learned pretty quickly that highlighting text helps to really "absorb" the text. (Taking notes is even better, but this isn't a class, we ain't getting any GRADES or anything.)

note that you can even ADD NOTES near each highlighted text online.

My friends are in book clubs where you read the book then show up at a meeting and sit around drinking wine and eating appetizers and you discuss the book.

This is that, minus the wine and pâté
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So what say ye @allegate ? It comes down to this-your fist-your kiss. :P

Also, where are @Sarah K and @Louie_Cypher ?

Sarah K said DONT GIVE UP in all caps like that, remember, w/r/t this book club.

Also i wish someone would make ME a big dinner for...anything, ever.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Hey, if you were here you could come over for dinner, I am making a slow-cooked smoked butt, it cooks all day for, like, 9 hours in molasses, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and all kinds of other good stuff, and that counteracts the saltiness of the smoked pork shoulder, and it's melt-in-your-mouth (it's G's favorite) and the house smells LIKE HEAVEN all day. And sweet potatoes, and warm rolls, and ... SOMETIMES I cook black-eyed peas in with the slowed-cooked smoked butt all day long, too, and OMG.

Shit, I gotta go eat lunch ...

This book, man, I wonder if this guy is gonna do a SEQUEL or something ...
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Hey, if you were here you could come over for dinner, I am making a slow-cooked smoked butt, it cooks all day for, like, 9 hours in molasses, syrup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and all kinds of other good stuff, and that counteracts the saltiness of the smoked pork shoulder, and it's melt-in-your-mouth (it's G's favorite) and the house smells LIKE HEAVEN all day. And sweet potatoes, and warm rolls, and ...

Shit, I gotta go eat lunch ...
    Sigh. I wish that i could! it sounds heavenly.
    When my sister in law is here, she DOES make amazing meals. Her cooking is the best thing i have ever eaten, and she usually does 3 meals a day. She is this incredible natural artist who can paint, sculpt, draw, and i think her cooking talent is yet another manifestation of this artistry.
    -end drift

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Cooking is a zen experience for us, it's very much like art. (I have a graphic arts minor.) Creative and zen-like.

Go read the book.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Oh, goddamnit, tomorrow is fucking NYE.
    I don't paricipate in holidays or like anniversaries of people's deaths and such, but i know that most people do.
    So should we wait to hear from @Sarah K and @Louie_Cypher ?

If we discuss it like on the 2nd, it wouldn't REALLY be totally fucking off our deadlines, because we were originally going to do it a piece at a time. If everyone can be done by then, or even the 3rd, we can make this a success and do it again

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Cooking is a zen experience for us, it's very much like art. (I have a graphic arts minor.) Creative and zen-like.

Go read the book.
    Yes Ma'am.
    It is just to the right of the laptop

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    If we discuss it like on the 2nd, it wouldn't REALLY be totally fucking off our deadlines, because we were originally going to do it a piece at a time. If everyone can be done by then, or even the 3rd, we can make this a success and do it again
    Yeah, tomorrow night is NYE, G and I are actually gonna stay home and watch TV and eat food and stuff.

Dude, let's just get this going and they can join in whenever, I believe that is what they suggested. If we wait, we will forget wtf we read and won't be able to really discuss it. We have put this off for over a week of reading, already. So the sooner we can get the discussion going, the fresher it will be in our heads.

My husband has to work the morning of New Year's Day and I'll just be watching the Rose Bowl Parade so you and I can start. @allegate might be able to join in by then. Or, Monday nights G plays WoW and raids (yeah yeah I know).

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    o.k. i'm ready need to clear my head a little, not a big fan of the holiday's, my in-law's are huge. republican's trump suporter's and fox news believer's, so before i can discuss rhis, this book especially this book. I need to decompress a little, i hope that is understandable.
    -louie

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Instead of reading at my usual rapid pace, i have been reading SLOW, because i only slept four hours last night and realized that i had been dozing off while reading these past few hours. Also i fucked up and spent too much time on the internet.
    But now i am knocking out my regular 2-3 minutes per page, with "6 hours left," so i should be done in like 3 hours.

SO. I will have the book finished tonight, but probably not in time to discuss (unless you will be up late @allegro )
    If tomorrow is not an option, i am all for getting started sunday morning.
    But if we have even a little time tomorrow, i'd be down with that too.
    Monday night works too.

@Louie_Cypher , so your in laws are, let me tell you, yuge trumps supporters? YUGE? :P Will you be mentally ready to discuss by sunday morning?
    @allegater , will you be finished by Sunday morning? @Sarah K ?
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro i REALLY want this to work!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    sunday morning would be great
    -louie