Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I've been longing for the punishing difficulty of the first game. These games have been getting easier and easier to the point where I trounced every boss within 3 tries. With the exception of aldritch, who felt like a real Dark Souls boss. Hopefully it gets harder from there. Over all quite enjoyable any way

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I've been longing for the punishing difficulty of the first game. These games have been getting easier and easier to the point where I trounced every boss within 3 tries. With the exception of aldritch, who felt like a real Dark Souls boss. Hopefully it gets harder from there. Over all quite enjoyable any way
    How were the Abyss Watchers?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Don't worry there's two hidden boss that is exactly what you are looking for. Damn good fights too.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    How were the Abyss Watchers?
    I smoked them on the first attempt. Super easy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I smoked them on the first attempt. Super easy.
    LAWL I failed so hard there. Multiple times.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    LAWL I failed so hard there. Multiple times.
    I'll upload my video of my fight against the Pontiff, I heard he's supposed to be tough and I downed him on the second attempt.

I'm playing as a knight, and I've essentially dumped every skill point into endurance, and then a few into vitality so I can carry slightly heavier pieces of armor. BUT I basically have the starting shield and sword. And then the Lothrop helm and legs and cathedral knight chest and arms.

Aldritch was tough because one of his main attacks is very difficult to dodge, and he had another where I had to empty my entire stamina bar running around the arena. Once I figured out the pattern it wasn't that bad, though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Twin Princes are wrecking my shit. This may be the cheapest Souls game yet.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think I'm nearing th end now. The old demon king gave me a slightly harder time than other bosses, but just required a lot of mobility and patience on my part.

Keeping in mind that this is a series where every single entry is a ten, I think this is my least favorite. There are some neat gameplay tweaks, but the environments, as cool as they are, feel a bit well tread, and the bosses and sections just are not very hard.

This combines to make the game less memorable than its predecessors. Blight town, anor londo, getting cursed, smug and ornstein, a village overrun by spiders, the mirror knight, the gutter, that fucking fire demon boss, a village gone mad, the twisted alien horror of bloodborne. I remember them fondly for being cool or punishing, but only one thing DS3 stands out and that's it's soundtrack. Even when the bosses don't bring their A game the score makes you fear them and gives them a sense of awe. Have to give credit to the enemy design as well

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm super addicted to DS3. I haven't played any of the previous games (the touted difficulty scared me off in the past) but I'm definitely going to go back and try them once I'm done with 3.

So far the Abyss Watchers have given me the most grief. I'm currently stuck on the Princes but feel like I'm getting closer to winning each attempt. The feeling of clearing an area / beating a boss is incredible.
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 05-08-2016 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I still haven't encountered "the princes" where are they?

I'm on the nameless king. A real Dark Souls boss who puts everything else in this game to shame. Is is a sick son of a bitch. A cheap, bullshit op fucker

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I still haven't encountered "the princes" where are they?

I'm on the nameless king. A real Dark Souls boss who puts everything else in this game to shame. Is is a sick son of a bitch. A cheap, bullshit op fucker
    Top of Lothric Castle. You have to defeat the Dragonslayer Armor to gain access to the Grand Archives. After there you only go up and up and up. They're in the top tower. It's quite a long trek from the Archives bonfire until you make the shortcut.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Top of Lothric Castle. You have to defeat the Dragonslayer Armor to gain access to the Grand Archives. After there you only go up and up and up. They're in the top tower. It's quite a long trek from the Archives bonfire until you make the shortcut.
    Oh, ok that sounds like a mandatory boss at the very end of the game?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Oh, ok that sounds like a mandatory boss at the very end of the game?
    Yes, he's a Lord of Cinder so...mandatory.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ok, that's good, theirs nothing that bothers me like having not killed a Dark Souls boss. I left the Ancient Dragon from DS2 unchecked and I think about it all the time and it's pure shame.

Still haven't done any DLC from any f them either

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Also once you reach the long staircase don't forget to turn around and find a set of stairs that leads to the very top of the building with some winged ornstein enemies. First playthrough I completely missed that area. I believe it leads to a titanite slab somewhere on the ceiling of the archives where you drop down into a big birdcage.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    Also once you reach the long staircase don't forget to turn around and find a set of stairs that leads to the very top of the building with some winged ornstein enemies. First playthrough I completely missed that area. I believe it leads to a titanite slab somewhere on the ceiling of the archives where you drop down into a big birdcage.
    You have to kill all 3 for the titanite slab to drop. I can usually take out 1 of them then the other 2 gank my ass in literally 10 seconds. They'll die by me....eventually.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah, I finally had to back off, the Nameless king is just a bit much. The thing that makes it so fucking abysmally difficult is that it take so long, and it's hard to get to the second phase. It's hard to get there, and it ends quickly, and there's just no way to practice his pattern or get to know his moves it's just super fucked up.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After a TON of trial and error I am LOVING invasions now. Halfway Fortress in Road of Sacrifices is amazing to invade. The last invasion had me and one red vs 2 blues, a sunbro and the host. I juked one blue phantom to running after me after i poked him a few times. The giant crab ending up smashing him in one hit. Then I took out the sunbro by using the Gundyr Halberd combo while the other red killed the other blue. We then chased down the host and killed his ass by the bonfire. Was amazing. 10 minute invasion.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    You have to kill all 3 for the titanite slab to drop. I can usually take out 1 of them then the other 2 gank my ass in literally 10 seconds. They'll die by me....eventually.
    These guys are pretty easy, actually. You can very easily isolate them, and they are slow with predictable attack patterns. None of their damage pierced my shield.

After four days, I finally beat the nameless king. I'll dig up the video. It was a goddammit struggle

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, got the platinum trophy unlocked. Guess I'll just wait till the DLC lands and play Uncharted 4 in the meantime.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Finally reached the Princes which is the last boss, I assume? They're kind of tough, really the hardest part is the two fucking elevators you have to endure on the way to the boss fight. Wtf? They had that in Bloodborne also, for the wet nurse.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well, got the platinum trophy unlocked. Guess I'll just wait till the DLC lands and play Uncharted 4 in the meantime.
    I'd 1000 G this game but I'm not much of a collector and the rings sound like a bitch to get, even with guides. Same with the miracles, pyromancies and etc when I don't use them. Good job though.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'd 1000 G this game but I'm not much of a collector and the rings sound like a bitch to get, even with guides. Same with the miracles, pyromancies and etc when I don't use them. Good job though.
    If you have a friend w/ the rings you can just meet up online and he can hand them to you. I went through and just got them all on NG++. It's not as bad as it seems.

The toughest and most obnoxious thing is the Dark Moon covenant Rank 2, which you need for all miracles. If only the covenant actually worked and you got pulled into a game more than once every six hours, it wouldn't be so horrible. I still don't understand how there's people on the leaderboards with more than 1000 tithes. That just seems impossible. It took me forever to get 30.

Also, no, Princes aren't the last boss... and the hardest boss in the game is definitely the optional one in the Archdragon area.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Finished up some Dark Souls 3, it was fine and all. Soul of Cinder actually gave me a pretty hard time.

So now I've moved on to that Bloodborne DLC and, man! It's some thing to play these games one after another. I do think Bloodborne just feels better, but it's a lot more tense. I feel a lot safer in Dark Souls than in Bloodborne, but I much prefer the hoping around and shotgunning and it just feels more rewarding. I like how armor doesn't hold a lot of relevance, I can look how I want. Dark Souls 3 had some systemic improvements, I hate having to go back to the hunters dream to fast travel, and I'm not sure if I prefer collecting blood echoes to filling up at every bonfire.

I'm looking forward to this dlc, it seems fun so far.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    How long is the Bloodborne DLC? I've been looking for an excuse to jump back in and I'm likely going to line it up after my Dark Souls 3 run. I might have to clear out the dungeons first.

Also, does anyone else spend an inordinate amount of time just dicking around without really progressing, in Dark Souls games? I'm around 50 / 60 hours in and only just reached Spoiler: Anor Londo.

Edit: Also I made this thread, it's great.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    How long is the Bloodborne DLC? I've been looking for an excuse to jump back in and I'm likely going to line it up after my Dark Souls 3 run. I might have to clear out the dungeons first.

Also, does anyone else spend an inordinate amount of time just dicking around without really progressing, in Dark Souls games? I'm around 50 / 60 hours in and only just reached Spoiler: Anor Londo.

Edit: Also I made this thread, it's great.
    5 major bosses in 5-6 areas. It's fairly lengthy. I'm having a hard time with it due to the difficulty modifier since I'm in NG+ (yes, I know still a "shit-tier" level). It's so punishing, even with me at level 121. I literally get one to two shotted by EVERYTHING. I only beat Ludwig, The Accursed. I am in LOVE with the Holy Moonlight Sword. It's my new weapon of choice (it's up to 8+), replacing my trusty Saw Cleaver 9+. I just got to the Research Hall (will fight the Living Failures tonight). I also grabbed Laurence's skull. I can pretty much fight him whenever I want to.

I've been playing through the game again as well, currently in Byrgenwerth with my old friend Rom...that fucking asshole. I hated that fight. I hope he'll be easier this time but I doubt it. I might sidetrack and go fight The One Reborn before it.

As for your DSIII comment, I am dicking around in the areas. Mainly exploring random portions of levels as well as invading. I'm just picking up armor sets, items and shit I missed first time through. I'm also using the ability to write summon signs to help others with bosses because it's fun and it gives me practice. I also test out and use new gear and weapons. I found a new set and load out I love. I'm a fully loaded Drakeblood Knight along with a Black Knight Shield and honing a Refined Drakeblood Sword 10+. It has auto-integrated electricity damage in it already as well. I can backstab Abyss Watchers for 655+ damage or more. It's so freaking brutal. Love it.

I'm 73 hours into the game. I beat it probably about 20 hours ago...hilarious. I need to do NG+ soon.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-13-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm in the same boat with the old hunters being at NG+. It is hard, much harder than anything in the core game, even on NG+.

I just reached ludwig, and that character design is incredible. Truly grotesque and disturbing

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My girlfriend got me Dark Souls III for my birthday a couple months ago and I finally checked it out. Holy hell, this requires a level of skill I do not possess. The regular enemies right at the beginning killed me once, then the first boss destroys me before I can get a quarter of his health gone. I tried it five times and gave up. I figured I wouldn't be down with these games because of the punishing difficulty and I was not wrong. I know death is a regular occurrence in these games but I just don't think it's for me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    My girlfriend got me Dark Souls III for my birthday a couple months ago and I finally checked it out. Holy hell, this requires a level of skill I do not possess. The regular enemies right at the beginning killed me once, then the first boss destroys me before I can get a quarter of his health gone. I tried it five times and gave up. I figured I wouldn't be down with these games because of the punishing difficulty and I was not wrong. I know death is a regular occurrence in these games but I just don't think it's for me.
    I didn't die until after the boss fight (Uchigatana bastard), as a DS vet (also most of us in the thread) it's easier for us than a new comer such as yourself. I say pick it up again and try and learn the combat with practice runs against the first few groups of enemies. I hope you didn't choose deprived as your starting class? If so, make a new character and go with a knight or warrior.

I think you'd get better with gameplay. If you manage to get past the first boss, you can buy a soap stone at Firelink Shrine and unlock co-op to make things easier for you if you need help in areas and with bosses. I love the game a lot and if you got to specific bosses I'd be willing to help you out.

Good luck. "Git gud"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I didn't die until after the boss fight (Uchigatana bastard), as a DS vet (also most of us in the thread) it's easier for us than a new comer such as yourself. I say pick it up again and try and learn the combat with practice runs against the first few groups of enemies. I hope you didn't choose deprived as your starting class? If so, make a new character and go with a knight or warrior.

I think you'd get better with gameplay. If you manage to get past the first boss, you can buy a soap stone at Firelink Shrine and unlock co-op to make things easier for you if you need help in areas and with bosses. I love the game a lot and if you got to specific bosses I'd be willing to help you out.

Good luck. "Git gud"
    Haha thanks for the tips but I already traded it in. I really didn't think these would be my kinds of games and that's why I never checked them out. But since my girlfriend got it for me I had no choice. I gave it a whirl, just not for me. No Man's Sky will be eating all of my gaming time for the foreseeable future anyway.