Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    funny, gauging from what people are saying, we walked out of the theater right before the movie finally got great? I dunno... I'll need to catch it some other time. I've honestly enjoyed every other movie Tarantino's made, so I'm a little surprised by how much of a bummer this felt like.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I wasn't liking it, or the way the audience around us was reacting to scenes... listening to people laugh their asses of at stuff that I didn't think was funny or intended to be funny... and while that's not the movie's fault, after 2 and a half hours of waiting for something other than character piece interaction, we walked out. At some point, I'll get around to seeing how it ends.
    What were people laughing at that you think wasn't intended to be funny? I mean, this was far from some super serious drama. I found it to be pretty generally lighthearted and found a lot of scenes to be very funny.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What were people laughing at that you think wasn't intended to be funny? I mean, this was far from some super serious drama. I found it to be pretty generally lighthearted and found a lot of scenes to be very funny.
    I thought some of the stuff with DiCaprio struggling with addiction and having a mid-life identity crisis was just kinda sad, but people were guffawing their asses off. Felt weird.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I thought some of the stuff with DiCaprio struggling with addiction and having a mid-life identity crisis was just kinda sad, but people were guffawing their asses off. Felt weird.
    I get what you're saying, but I think much of those scenes were framed in a way to make them come off as comical; the way they were edited, quick cuts and all that. Tarantino is certainly no stranger to framing dark elements from a comical angle, so I think a lot of it was intentionally humorous.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tarantino's becoming the new Tim Burton for me. The more he makes shit like this, the less I care he made a few good movies once.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    funny, gauging from what people are saying, we walked out of the theater right before the movie finally got great? I dunno... I'll need to catch it some other time. I've honestly enjoyed every other movie Tarantino's made, so I'm a little surprised by how much of a bummer this felt like.
    Man, why would you leave early? I mean, you spend $20.00 on tix, had to drive there...why not finish the flick?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i felt like i watched a 10 hour movie that has been cut down to 3 a hour scene reel which felt very 2019 because i don't know if anyone cares what's going on in the movies anymore. it's post-story telling i guess. which isn't necessarily bad, but i just didn't feel like QT's style landed itself well in that way. i watched NWR's Too Old to Die Young 13 hour epic and had no issues with the storytelling or pacing or whatever, so that's that

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    My wife and I saw it on Sunday night and while I will agree that it has some pacing issues (or perhaps it could have been trimmed down a bit), I was engaged the whole time. My wife, however, hated it. I could tell she was bored (she kept checking her watch) and she usually loves his movies—Kill Bill being her favorite. It was a slow burn, for sure, but like others have said, the ending was awesome, classic Tarantino and every second that Brad Pitt is onscreen was enthralling. Both Pitt and Leo gave fantastic performances, but Pitt was the highlight of the whole movie for me. Spoiler: The ending also reminded me of the ending of Inglorious Basterds in that it subverts your expectations by changing the course of history in a similar and excessively violent way by murdering the would-be murderers (Manson family and Hitler, respectively), yet the results are hilarious rather than horrific because of its over-the-top nature. But while I was watching it, once Cliff and Pussycat arrived at the Spahn Ranch, I began to dread what I assumed to be the inevitable ending of the Manson family murdering Sharon and her friends, so the actual ending elicited a sigh of relief (followed by laughing and "Jesus Christ!" reactions to the insane violence). It's like an alternate reality fantasy outcome that deals justice to those who deserve it rather than the innocent celebrities living next door. But yeah, seems people either loved it or didn't. I wouldn't place it in my top 5 Tarantino movies, but it was solid.

By the way, top 5 Tarantino films: Kill Bill Vol. 1, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 07-31-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Man, why would you leave early? I mean, you spend $20.00 on tix, had to drive there...why not finish the flick?
    You apparently don't know Jinsai very well.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    As someone that goes to the movies regularly i can see where he is coming from, if you are really not enjoying the film the last thing you want to do is sit through another 1-2 hours of it when you could just go and do something you actually enjoy. Ticket prices are a big reason why more people don't just walk out of films they really aren't enjoying, but you can always ask for a refund if you leave early enough (whether you get one on the other-hand is down to the cinema)
    Fun Fact i had a mate that hated Inglorious so much he walked out and got a refund, it can happen.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I stopped Twister about 45 minutes into it--I thought it was really boring. That was just a rental though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wanted to walk out of "Hail, Caesar" but didn't. I should have.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Looking forward to see this one. Btw interesting that Leonardo can "afford" to go away from movies for several years, after Revenant.

PS: I can't remember not finishing a movie or a book... or actually, even food. :-) Wait, recently I gave up on Suspiria on my first try but that was after several minutes when I realized I'm tired and not in the mood for something like that. (edit: at home, went to sleep)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    If I pay money for an experience and I find myself bored and annoyed, I’ll check first with my special lady friend, and if she feels the same, we get the fuck out and prance around somewhere else instead. Fuck the idea that I paid money so therefore I should get some transactional fulfillment. We walked out of the shitty Lion King remake too.

my time is valuable too, and I only have so much of it to waste doing stuff that I’m not getting paid for. I’ll check out the ending when it shows up on streaming services. Maybe watching it that way will sit better with me... but really? I’ll walk out of an overlong movie if all it’s doing is boring me and annoying me. I’m not a critic. This isn’t my job. Fuck it. I have better stuff to do.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 08-02-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I wanted to walk out of "Hail, Caesar" but didn't. I should have.
    Funny you say that, I've been describing this movie as "Tarantino does Hail, Caesar."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Odd that the soundtrack via Amazon is made on-demand as a CDR. It's their number one album, you'd think it would be professionally pressed.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    still haven't seen django or hateful 8

saw this with my mom (we saw both kill bills together in the theater back when they came out) on wednesday in 70mm at the music box here in chicago, which was incredible. first time i've seen anything in 70mm and it was honestly worth the $18/ticket.

loved the movie. while it's a love-letter to 60s hollywood, i think it's also an acknowledgement that the era has come to an end.

there was one moment during the big violent scene that was a bit too much for me but otherwise i enjoyed every minute of it.

also, when brad pitt took his shirt off, a guy in the back of the theater went "yeayuh!" and the whole audience giggled, which was followed up by him going "you were all thinking it!" and dozens of people went "uh huh" or "yeah!"

sometimes seeing a movie in a packed theater can be such a wonderful, communal experience.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
    8. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Death Proof
    6. Hateful Eight
    5. Kill Bill
    4. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    2. Django Unchained
    1. Pulp Fiction
    Last edited by GulDukat; 08-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
    8. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Death Trap
    6. Hateful Eight
    5. Kill Bill
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    2. Django Unchained
    1. Pulp Fiction
    I got some issues with your listing. Reservoir Dogs near the bottom?

Also what the fuck is Death Trap? ;P I know you meant Death Proof.

I'm seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood this evening. Stoked!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Mandatory QT ranking.

9. Jackie Brown
    8. Reservoir Dogs
    7. Death Trap
    6. Hateful Eight
    5. Kill Bill
    3. Inglorious Bastards
    2. Django Unchained
    1. Pulp Fiction
    1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Hateful Eight
    -3.5: True Romance*
    4. Django Unchained
    -4.5: Four Rooms*
    5. Kill Bill
    -5.5 - From Dusk til Dawn*
    6. Jackie Brown
    7. Once upon...
    8. Death Proof
    9. Inglorious Basterds

*I know these aren't full fledged 100% written/directed by Tarantino movies, but I still feel like they deserve to be included in. Mainly because they are hell of a lot better than some of his newer solo movies.

Also, haters are gonna hate, but "Basterds" to me is what "Hollywood" was to @Jinsai . I hated that movie so much, I turned it off and found something better to do with my time. Thankfully, I never paid for it.
    There were only 2 times I hated a movie so much I wanted to walk out, and only 1/2 of those times, I actually walked out. (I don't remember the film though). The 2nd time, I was very, very close to walking out and then 3/4 the way into the film, the theater had projection issues and the film cut out and the lights came on for like 10 mins. Theater manager came in and apologized for the issues and said they will be giving everyone free passes to another movie for the inconvenience after the film was done once they fixed the issues. So, that's the only reason I suffered though the rest of that film, was to get my free ticket, which essentially was like getting a refund. They probably knew it sucked anyway, lol. It was a Uwe Bol movie after all, hahahaha!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I got some issues with your listing. Reservoir Dogs near the bottom?

Also what the fuck is Death Trap? ;P I know you meant Death Proof.

I'm seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood this evening. Stoked!
    Yeah, Death Proof. Death Trap was some video game from the 90's. As for Reservoir Dogs--I liked it, just don't think it's one of his best, ranks below most of his films, imho.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I actually loved Basterds and Death Proof... and I'm not even sure I would say I hated Once Upon a Time... I just wasn't enjoying myself, didn't really feel like it was pulling me in, felt overlong... and I don't even know if I can really pass a final judgement on how I feel about a movie unless I watched the whole thing... Unless I absolutely hated it... like the Lion King remake. That sucked and I don't need to finish seeing it to know it was god awful. This, I dunno... not my thing, bored me to tears, I'm not saying I hated it, just that I wasn't liking it.

You can appreciate something you don't enjoy. There's movies out there that I thought were incredible, I just didn't enjoy them, etc... I can tell you that The Godfather is clearly an incredible movie, but really, for me it doesn't really play to me the way that films I personally love do. I can appreciate its artistry and understand why it's so celebrated. I've watched it and Pt2 once, and that was enough.

This, I really don't know. I wouldn't say it sucked. It just bored me, and I didn't wanna watch it anymore.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    saw it yesterday & thought it was brilliant.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Really surprised to see people not enjoying this one. I fucking loved it. I'd say it's his best film since Basterds, but also his most mature film since Jackie Brown. The Manson family angle was so fun to see play out. It also felt really nice to not have to sit through a Tarantino film that just joys itself on saying the N word over and over again.

I don't know, I loved every second of it and I hope it gets him an Oscar.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It also felt really nice to not have to sit through a Tarantino film that just joys itself on saying the N word over and over again..
    agreed there, and it was surprising too considering the Manson aspect...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, when brad pitt took his shirt off, a guy in the back of the theater went "yeayuh!" and the whole audience giggled, which was followed up by him going "you were all thinking it!" and dozens of people went "uh huh" or "yeah!"
    I went last night (loved it!) and a woman basically let out a moan during that scene and the theater cracked up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I went last night (loved it!) and a woman basically let out a moan during that scene and the theater cracked up.
    man looks good​. and as he ages he looks more like robert redford. i'm really enjoying it

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    RE: Reservoir Dogs. I think Ebert's review pretty much sums up the issues that I had with it. Although I might give it a 3/4 instead of a 2.5/4:

Now that we know Quentin Tarantino can make a movie like "Reservoir Dogs," it's time for him to move on and make a better one.

This film, the first from an obviously talented writer-director, is like an exercise in style. He sets up his characters during a funny scene ina coffee shop, and then puts them through a stickup that goes disastrously wrong. Most of the movie deals with its bloody aftermath, asthey assemble in a warehouse and bleed and drool on one another.

The movie has one of the best casts you could imagine, led by the legendary old tough guy Lawrence Tierney, who has been in and out ofjail both on the screen and in real life. He is incapable of uttering a syllable that sounds inauthentic. Tierney plays Joe Cabot, anexperienced criminal who has assembled a team of crooks for a big diamond heist. The key to his plan is that his associates don't knowone another, and therefore can't squeal if they're caught. He names them off a color chart: Mr. White, Mr. Orange, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Pink,and so on. Mr. Pink doesn't like his name. "You're lucky you ain't Mr. Yellow," Tierney rasps.

The opening scene features an endlessly circling camera, as the tough guys light cigarettes and drink coffee in one of those places wherethe tables are Formica and the waitresses write your order on a green-and-white Guest Check. They argue, joke and b.s. each otherthrough thick clouds of smoke; it's like "The Sportswriters on Parole." There's a funny discussion of tipping. Then they walk out of therestaurant, and are introduced in the opening credits, as they walk menacingly toward the camera. They have great faces: The gloweringMichael Madsen; the apprehensive Tim Roth; Chris Penn, ready for anything; Tierney, with a Mack truck of a mug; Harvey Keitel, whosepresence in a crime movie is like an imprimatur.

The movie feels like it's going to be terrific, but Tarantino's script doesn't have much curiosity about these guys. He has an idea, and truststhe idea to drive the plot.The idea is that the tough guys, except for Tierney and the deranged Madsen, are mostly bluffers. They are not good at handlingthemselves in desperate situations.We see the bungled crime in flashbacks. Tarantino has a confident, kinetic way of shooting action - guys running down the street, gunbattles, blood and screams. Then the action centers in the warehouse, where Madsen sadistically toys with a character he thinks is a cop,and the movie ends on a couple of notes of horrifying poetic justice.One of the discoveries in the movie is Madsen, who has done a lot of acting over the years (he had a good role in "The Natural") but hereemerges with the kind of really menacing screen presence only a few actors achieve; he can hold his own with the fearsome Tierney, andreminds me a little of a very mean Robert De Niro.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/reservoir-dogs-1992

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I did not see it last night. The 7:30 PM viewing was sold out....

Seeing it in two weeks on my next free weekend.