Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil Series

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Resident Evil Series

I've become obsessed with Resident Evil 4 lately, and am third of the way through the third play, trying to earn enough to buy an infinite launcher. When I first bought it years ago, I played it once, was completely disappointed, kept on getting killed, thought it was too action oriented, not enough survival horror. But recently I bought the HD edition on the PS3 (as I want to get rid of my PS2) and tried it out again and got hooked. Now I'm deciding whether to get the 2 that have come after.

Anyway, in order of my RE preferences :

1. Resident Evil 4
    2. Resident Evil Code Veronica X
    3. Resident Evil 2
    4. Resident Evil Directors Cut
    5. Resident Evil Nemesis

Played Outbreak too, but that was insanely difficult due to the real time nature of it, gave up on it in the end

EDIT just realised I opened this in the wrong forum, sorry
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-15-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: complete stupidity

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Didn't realise RE4 was as old as it is. My brother was playing it at around the time I was playing Dead Space. I thoroughly enjoyed RE1 & 2 at the time. Having not played much since then, I thought Dead Space was great, but couldn't get my brother enthusiastic about it. At the same time I was watching him playing RE4 and thinking "christ this looks awful". Of course I could be very wrong, but the opinion I formed then was that my bro was sold on the RE story and saga rather than the gameplay, and that Dead Space improved the formula so much that it wiped the floor with RE4.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've not played Dead Space yet - so I guess that's another one on the list for presents!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ You will love Dead Space!!

My favorite RE would have to be RE2. I loved the two disc feature being able to play as either Leon or Claire. Those two were always my favorite characters of the series. I remember in RE2, when you are in the interrogation room and the dog jumps through the glass; fuck that scared the shit out of me. The only thing I do not like about the new ones if that they are not really scary or creepy anymore like they used to be.

The new one had a lot of promise in the trailer, but god it just sucks on all ends. What a waste.

Well on order for me:

RE2
    RE: Code Veronica
    RE3: Nemesis
    RE4
    RE5
    RE: Directors Cut

RE6 looks so good and glad to see Leon is back!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Pre-ordered 6 two weeks ago. Ziiiiiiiiiing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    ^^^ You will love Dead Space!!

My favorite RE would have to be RE2. I loved the two disc feature being able to play as either Leon or Claire. Those two were always my favorite characters of the series. I remember in RE2, when you are in the interrogation room and the dog jumps through the glass; fuck that scared the shit out of me. The only thing I do not like about the new ones if that they are not really scary or creepy anymore like they used to be.

The new one had a lot of promise in the trailer, but god it just sucks on all ends. What a waste.

Well on order for me:

RE2
    RE: Code Veronica
    RE3: Nemesis
    RE4
    RE5
    RE: Directors Cut

RE6 looks so good and glad to see Leon is back!

You really like CVX over RE3? You're the first person I know who is like that.

Edit: Looks like OP is that way too lolol.

Dead Aim is actually one of my favorite RE games. Has anyone played it? I think it's awesome.

The order for me is:

1.RE3
    2.Dead Aim
    3.RE2
    4.REmake/RE1 Original (just has that charm to it)
    5.RE5
    6.RE4
    7.CVX.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    You really like CVX over RE3? You're the first person I know who is like that.
    Lol, yea I played the shit out of both games, but I felt CVX was pretty dam challenging. I enjoyed the story a lot, and I played it on Dreamcast so it holds a little nostalgia for me.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunn View Post
    I prefer CVX over RE3, I thought it had a better story. RE3 to me has always felt like a side-story, good fun but it felt like a 'meanwhile, from Jill's POV' game next to Resident Evil 2.
    That's exactly what it is lol.

To me, CVX was just trying to [re]summon a bad guy. Wesker. I think that's basically it's main purpose besides Claire and Chris meeting up again.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    That's understandable. I played them when they first came out, so I might appreciate them more than I did CVX because I played CVX a few years after it came out since I didn't have a PS2.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Played the public Resident Evil 6 demo today.

Wasn't gonna download the demo this late in the game as I'll have it in a few weeks at launch anyways.

All three campaigns were unique in their own right. I found Leon's to be the true RE style and creepiest. Jack's seemed the most difficult due to the four legged lizard type enemies (bastards). Chris' seemed like a straight up third-person shooter, not that I mind as it's my favorite genre for gaming. I'm excited for the game now, I was kinda before but now I really am after playing this.

The cover system is horrible, then again this isn't a cover based game and it never was.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 09-19-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Going to the release party next Monday I decided, I need this game asap.

In the meantime, check this awesome video:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just downloading the demo now although I won't be able to play till tomorrow, it's taking ages!
    I still haven't played RE5 either but that's next on my list

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm going to probably wait and buy a used copy of RE6. I don't want to support Crapcom...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I recently managed to pick up really cheap used copies of Silent Hill Downpour and RE5 from Amazon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Played the demo for 6 today was completely underwhelmed. I managed to squeeze some enjoyment out of 5, but I don't think I'll even touch this one...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    Played the demo for 6 today was completely underwhelmed. I managed to squeeze some enjoyment out of 5, but I don't think I'll even touch this one...
    You got that much of an opinion from a lousy 880 MB demo?

The Demo itself to me was quite fantastic for what they offered. I have some complaints like the shitty cover system, the lousy hit detection with melee often and the overall feel of the game, slowly getting less and less creepy and scary and more towards action orientated, which I'm quite all right with.

I'm seriously ready for next Tuesday to be here already.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I have some complaints.

1. The camera. God I hate this camera. It's WAY too zoomed in. Chris/Leon/Jake take up like 50% of the fucking screen.
    2. The inventory. I was completely fine with the inventory system in RE5 (besides your vest taking up a inventory slot. It's like a vest in a vest pocket. PARADOX)
    3. The controls to me seem funky. I tried them all and none of them really seem right to me. But that's just me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember being about 9 and playing through the first one on the Playstation, I was really into any scary shit I could get my hands on and I remember thinking it wasn't scary at all, But then I got to this part where you find a note in a wardrobe (just after a zombie bursts out of it) and its this guy (can't remember who) writing down what is happening to him as he's slowly turning into a zombie. It really freaked me out. And then you realize, the zombie in the wardrobe was HIM!

Nightmares. Nightmares for days.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Played the demo yesterday - the BOW in Chris' one I thought was really scary, although it was quite easy to just keep running back and forth on one of the balconies to avoid it

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Played the demo yesterday - the BOW in Chris' one I thought was really scary, although it was quite easy to just keep running back and forth on one of the balconies to avoid it
    I'm sure you'll/we'll encounter it again later on in the game.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I still need to get around to playing through RE5. I bought the gold edition like a year ago and only played it for about an hour.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^me too - I have this tendency to give up on games really quickly if I can't get the hang of the controls soon enough and I found the controls in RE5 quite hard - and then play them properly years later and love them

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My problem with RE5 was Sheva. Terrible AI.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Some people got early copies of the game. I'm hearing good things about it!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Guy on my friends list has a copy and he lives in England. I'm green. I'm stuck till Tuesday.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My sister saw a copy out on display already but, alas, we are both broke until next week.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I just hope they go back to actually being scary. There were some things I enjoyed about 5, some things I was irritated by, but overall the whole experience was ruined by the tame mood and feel. I hear in this one the zombies carry guns and act nothing like zombies?!?! Why do they do this?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just hope they go back to actually being scary. There were some things I enjoyed about 5, some things I was irritated by, but overall the whole experience was ruined by the tame mood and feel. I hear in this one the zombies carry guns and act nothing like zombies?!?! Why do they do this?
    You mean the J'avo.

Why? They are mutated internally by the C-Virus and it is pretty much a living parasite that destroys the mind of rationality.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    You mean the J'avo.

Why? They are mutated internally by the C-Virus and it is pretty much a living parasite that destroys the mind of rationality.
    No, my complaint is actually more to do with the fact that regular zombies are going to be carrying around guns and taking cover. At least that's what I think I read. I'm still going to give the game a chance, but that doesn't give me too much confidence that they're going to bring back the scary survival atmosphere that originally defined the game. Part 5 moved the series much more in an action direction, without tight enough gameplay to back it up. I have hope that this will surprise me.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    No, my complaint is actually more to do with the fact that regular zombies are going to be carrying around guns and taking cover. At least that's what I think I read. I'm still going to give the game a chance, but that doesn't give me too much confidence that they're going to bring back the scary survival atmosphere that originally defined the game. Part 5 moved the series much more in an action direction, without tight enough gameplay to back it up. I have hope that this will surprise me.
    The J'avo are essentially C-Virus infected people that are pretty much undead zombies but use gunpower at their disposal. They take cover also.

Days of survival horror are long gone.